What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

y the fuck do ppl get so "hung-up" about dreadlocks????

G

guest456mpy

Originally Posted by mean mr.mustard View
We could try to abolish the negative stereotypes instead of perpetuating them ourselves.

The more people that believe you can't have dreadlocks and be acceptable, the more we lose.

Yes I believe protests aren't going to be as effective as decades past, but they are sadly about all we are afforded at the moment... does that look like a good reason to simply stop protesting?

Protesting is only one channel of creating change, and one with relatively smaller and less defined changes in relation with changing things from within the system. It actually takes a lot more energy and personal sacrifice to change things from within than merely protest and humans tend to take the path of least resistance. Negative stereotypes are perpetuated by ones actions not the way one appears.

Negative is as negative does.

Wearing dreads but being a positive member of society (give more than you take) is much more likely to be perceived as someone whose opinions are positive and constructive.

Shave your head and have a negative attitude and you'll still be seen as being negative.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Peace is possible...?
No species in the history of the planet has managed it yet.
Maybe in a few billion more years?
Aint holding my breath.
Lol
Hating evil is much better than excusing it.

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
Why the fuck do people get so hung-up about dreadlocks???

the fuck do ppl need to judge other ppl so harshly on such a meaningless issue?

I don't know the answer to your question. I've never had dreadlocks nor have I ever had the desire to have them them, however, going -up in the 60's I was a surfer and had long hair, and would occasionally get nasty commits from people that didn't know me. Usually non-local tourist that would make those commits, and very few ever said then to my face, most would mutter their nasty commit under they're breath and didn't have the character or balls to express they're opinion to my face.

I was also 6'2" & 225ilbs for pure muscle my senior year of high school, played football, Golf, surfed and had a reputation of being a good young man in my community, who didn't have a problem with knocking-out any fucker that mistreated me or any of my family or friends. However there were a few that had too much drink that made the mistake of expressing their feelings about my long hair to my face, and I can assure you I ruined they're vacation, and they most likely never hassled anyone with long hair again.

Today, looking back it was all so uncalled for. Not only other people making rude commits regarding my long hair, but me inflicting damage on their faces.

The problem with the world today, is that to many people believe they know what's best for everyone else when they can't even keep they're own house in order, and have no idea where there going in life themselves. they are lost, and find it easier to tell others how they should live when their clueless themselves. My way is the only way is the motto of these people.

When one spends all his/her time telling others what they should do, and how they should be living, it's usually because they're afraid to look in the mirror in fear of what they may see, which is the shallow & facade person they really are.

If you want dreads down to your ass, then grow them, and don't let the haters & clueless people upset you and steal a minute of quality time from your life. Your a better person then these type of hateful people, always remember that, and be thankful your above these childish fools. Dreadlocks and all!

:wave:

Space Case

Veteran
y the fuck do ppl get so "hung-up" about dreadlocks????

I personally believe that anyone that uses their external appearance to attract attention does not have the ability to garner attention from their true self, such as their carisma, intellect, and talent. Any overbearing "look" can actually take away from your true self and who you really want to be in life. I grew up in the south east and was always harrassed by cops. When I got more seriously involved in growing, I kept myself as clean cut as possible. People thought I was a computer programmer. Now since moving to Colorado myself, I find the clean cut look actually sticks out a bit, so I grew a beard and let myself go. My hair is super curly like pubes, so I rock more of a Bob Dylan-esq afro. I'm lazy and keeping clean dreads looks like work. I also grew up poor and with some real jamaicans, and personally don't fit in with most trustafarians, so I don't go for that look. Things are definately differrent here in the west, tho.

That said, I agree that well maintained dreads on a woman can be attractive. Most white guys use it to hide their own background and identity. You have dreads and your dad is a CEO, you aren't fooling anyone. But on a rare occassion, I have a friend I grew up with that was always poor, practically homeless his whole life. When he cut his dreads and settled down with a girl, he lost a part of himself....

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I was also 6'2" & 225ilbs for pure muscle my senior year of high school, played football, Golf, surfed and had a reputation of being a good young man in my community, who didn't have a problem with knocking-out any fucker that mistreated me or any of my family or friends. However there were a few that had too much drink that made the mistake of expressing their feelings about my long hair to my face, and I can assure you I ruined they're vacation, and they most likely never hassled anyone with long hair again.

Everybody's surfing and trouble's kickin' Fankie Avalon's ass. :chin:

trouble

Veteran
surfing and trouble's kickin' Fankie Avalon's ass. :chin:

Actually, it was mostly rednecks from Alabama & Texas on vacation, that invaded our small little fishing village on the gulf of mexico every summer, and thought they owned our town.

And had little respect for our community, beaches, and locals.

And for the record, I wouldn't have had a problem kickin Frankies punk-ass in those days as well.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Actually, it was mostly rednecks from Alabama & Texas on vacation, that invaded our small little fishing village on the gulf of mexico every summer, and thought they owned our town.

And for the record, I wouldn't have had a problem kickin Frankies punk-ass in those days as well.

I think I kicked a few asses in that same "lucky" village back in the day.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran

Eric von Zipper?

Nah, see...

Frankie gets his ass kicked and that's the point, for being a dork in a stupid movie.

E

e4ian

love that signature video nokuy! ..that lad doing his wobble/dance thing makes me smile everytime!!! :jump:
nc1
e.

Latest posts

Latest posts