What's new

Wild sativas under 110w PL-L

jrw

Hey guys,

Sad news first. I've dumped 2 Jahwi's Joy females. They were going to be flowering for waaaaay too long, so I pulled them out now, making room for other ones.

And then I have commenced another experiment.

May I present to you - the jrw homemade air root pruning pot!

It's made out of weed barrier cloth and synthetic thread that wont rot.
The barrier is also synthetic so that it wont rot and it lets air and water pass through.
It's permeable.
The pot is 14 cm each side and 20 cm high. Holding ~4 liters of soil.

Here's the theory. Whenever a root tip meets the side of the pot the tip dries out and that particular root stops growing. This promotes new secondary roots to appear from the primary root, making the rootball a lot more fibrous. Which means more roots in less or the same space. And most importantly. NO ROOTCIRCLING.

I jumped right into it and transplanted my 5 weeks old severely rootbound Oldtimers Haze x Sweet Tooth #3 into it. All it ever had until now was 0.3 liters of starter soil...

If this turns out a success I'm gonna make a whole bunch of these pots.
They're cheap as hell and I can have them in the exact sizes that fits my cabinet :D

This thread started me up on the idea:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86175

Here's a nice illustration of the theory:
http://www.superoots.com/airpot_work.htm

Take care my friends! :joint:

Last edited:

jrw

abirdintheair said:
how do they react nutes wise, are they heavy/medium/light feeders?
The Jahwi's Joy I'd say they are light to medium feeders.
It's in organic soil at 1/3 strenght and on top of that they enjoy BioBizz Grow and Bloom (less is more), seaweed extract, and a kelp based liquid organic 3-3-6 fertilizer that I have. No burnt tips at all...

Last edited:

dboy80

very damn dope. Im about to get 2x55w lights too (they are selling those as one "big" light). I was just wondering does these generate more heat than inexample 1x125w light (I guess you have tried those too?) Thanks in advance!

jrw

dboy80 said:
very damn dope. Im about to get 2x55w lights too (they are selling those as one "big" light). I was just wondering does these generate more heat than inexample 1x125w light (I guess you have tried those too?) Thanks in advance!
I have used 1x125W Envirolite, 2x125W Envirolites and 2x125W Ecolites and now converted to these PLLs.

I must admit that at first, I thought 2x55W PLLs (plus ballast inside cabinet) produced more heat than a single 125W CFL with integrated ballast. Hell, my 2x125W Ecolite setup seemed to produce less heat than 2x55W PLLs.

Then I remembered that I used to have a 120mm PC fan mounted to blow on the bulbs and mounted this. The temp right below the tubes have dropped to the point where I can hold the tubes as long as I like without burning my finger tips.

As a result of that I have dropped my SystemAir RVK 125mm inline fan as output fan and have installed a 120mm PC fan directly to the filter. I have ~28c as the highest i the cabinet, right above the ballast.

In short. Yes, I guestimate that 110W PLL are "cooler" than 110W integrated CFLs. But that might simply be caused by the obvious fact, that the total amount of heat from the tubes are distributed over a larger areal in the case of PLLs versus CFLs.

IMG_2518Large.jpg

Btw, here's the two Jahwi's Joy that I killed :badday:
Shouldn't have spent energy on them for so long. 7 weeks and still no real flowers. Haven't got time for plants that take 20+ weeks. Sry.

I received a fresh shipment of seeds from Ghana yesterday :jump:
Looks rather different from the ones I'm growing now, and from a different farmer as well, so they're next up under the screen...

And it's now confirmed that my current #1, the Jahwi's Joy under the screen, is gonna get me stoned. Trichs are forming.

Last edited:

dboy80

Hi man, nice pics and thanks for reply :) Just wondering if you could tell me dimension of your growbox? Thanks again!

tngreen

Veteran
looking great jrw! im very interested to see how your air pruning experiment goes, ive been reading about this as well. please keep us updated on this one cause i would love to implement this on my new cab. keep it green!

InPotiTrust

Looking great jrw.Im very interested to see how your air pruning experiment goes cause i read about it the other day and it's been on my mind since.Sorry to hear about your Jahwi's Joy.Could u pm me where u got the seed from.

jrw

Yeah, lets see how those pots do :D

Also made some in 1,4 liters and some small ones for starting seeds.

jrw

I'm the the second half of this grow and I'm trying to learn something.

One thing's for sure. My soilmix came out too light I'm afraid. No burnt tips anywhere and many of the plants need something.

Ofcourse, growing 8 weeks old plant in 1,7 liter pots can't help but show... Maybe the pruning pots can help out in that matter :D

Apart from that I'm quite happy. I have so many great beans waiting in line I can't wait to grow on. Germing and chopping all summer long :D

From left to right. Top to bottom.
C99 x DC, C99 x SWT3 (topped), C99 x SWT3 (topped), Jahwi's Joy (topped, scrogged), Senor Garcia (LST), Senor Garcia, Kali Mist, Kali Mist, Amager 07, OTHaze x SWT3.

Kali Mist, 51 days, the one with the autumn leaves...

JDK

Looking good jrw, love the pots. If you get any info on how to get them in Denmark, please tell.

jrw

JDK, I will :D

Yo guys,

Check out this baby in a homemade 0,3L cloth pot.

The strain is called Mirre and is created by Karma Genetics.
It's S.A.G.E x Jack Herre #22 :headbange

I got two of these going.

Once again, massive thanks to esbe and ofcourse Karma Genetics for making it possible for me to grow this awsome cross! :friends:

Last edited:
K

kidkannabis

MMMM so many lil trees.... your Jahwis Joy under the screen looks promising... Kudos jrw

Goldenseed

Hey!!!

They look good....if you have time to do so you could please shot a full-plantshot of both SeniorGarcias and a budshot of the Jahwi´s Joy.The root-pruning pot seems to work really fine...the plant looks much better than the last pic...nice idea!!

Thanks alot in Advance for the Pics!!!

Grow on and keep it green...Goldenseed :wave:

jrw

Haven't made full shots of the Garcias today - I'll fix it in a few days - but here you have the Jahwi's Joy.

12/12 from seed, 9 weeks old.

Find two things out of the ordinary...

Kali Mist (9 weeks - wow!) and Amager 07 (8 weeks) hanging out.
Max 1/10 trichs amber, most clear/cloudy-cloudy, no clear - on both plants.

:jump:

Last edited:

Goldenseed

Hey!!

Thanks for the shot and take your time with the Garcia´s they only get more photogenic....do you go directly to 12/12 with all your Strains?Have you smoked the Jahwis Joy already or is it the first plant that you grow from this Strain?

greetz Goldenseed :wave:

jrw

The cab it lit by 12/12 light regime all the time.

When plants go down, sewn seeds go in.

The Jahwi is a first timer... :D

Latest posts

Latest posts