What's new

Why is medical marijuana so expensive?

OU812

Well, although this thread has gone on a long time, having read it all, I wanted to respond as a patient. I live in a rural area, in a county that has a moratorium on any dispensaries.

To get meds, I have to drive about 80 miles each way. And then, afford the cost of meds. Trying to pay for that living on disability is damned difficult.

I am growing my own now, having saved the money for clones by going with no meds at all for far too long. People who are truly ill generally do not have bottomless pockets. Every dime counts.

I FINALLY found a COMPASSIONATE dispensary. With proper verification of permanent disability, they give qualified disabled patients a free 1/8 per week, and it isn't shit meds, I am given my choice of many strains. For terminally ill patients, they offer a care basket of several different strains per week. FREE OF CHARGE.

For those who are unemployed, on SSI, etc. they also offer discounts. And, they charge NO MORE than any of the other dispensaries in LA area for the rest of the clientele. They are able to offer the neediest of patients a good, reliable source of fresh, high quality meds. But other dispensaries charging the same claim that they can't afford to do this?

Bullshit!

They just don't WANT to. The collective I go to is really plush inside. Plenty of room to sit there and chill-munchies and snacks if you're hungry, a big flat screen TV, a full time security guard AND metal detector at the front door. No bars on/or little windows in the meds area, it's wide open. your meds are weighed in front of you, etc. Top freakin' notch.

A lot of in-need patients are in there every week to get that free 1/8th. Yet these other places that aren't half what this place is-claim they can't afford to help those truly in need?

Some of the places in LA I will never go to again, I've been lied to, had the bait and switch bullshit pulled on me more than once. Some of them are nothing more than greedy dealers, they are NOT there to help anyone who is ill. For those who just want weed, that's fine, but this law was passed to help SICK PEOPLE. Believe me, I've gone through more dispensaries than I can count, and there are probably only three out of all of them I'd consider going back to.

A couple of months ago, as I was just walking into a "dispensary," a dood undergoing chemo came in right behind me-he was desperate-puking...looked like a stick figure. Poor dood...

The bastards in that place wouldn't even give him a joint because he only had 5 bucks on him. I gave him some of mine, and told everyone in that hellhole that they could summarily f*ck themselves.

The collective I go to now would never treat a human being in such a disgraceful manner. I just thank God I found people who actually care.

What many people don't realize is that we as patients understand (better than anyone else) what it's like to not have enough money for meds.

When I harvest, some of what I've grown I will donate right back to the dispensary that has been there for ME as a patient. It's the least I can do to repay the kindness shown to me. I won't ask for a free 1/8 unless I need it, but they've helped me to get through as I learn to grow my own and it is only right that I too give back.

I also have a problem with some of what I've read here regarding "people shouldn't bitch if they aren't growing their own meds."

Some people are far too ill to do this, and need help. See if you can look someone with stage 4 cancer who weighs 80 pounds in the eye, and tell 'em to stop bitching and start growing? Many wouldn't live long enough to see it to harvest.

If you haven't walked the walk...

I'm sure I'll probably catch hell for this post, but oh well, I think a patient's point of view is warranted, especially when so many folks have no idea of what it's like to be truly ill while trying to navigate through all of the confusion, high prices and people who just plain don't give a shit.

The herb has many healing powers-among them should be having enough compassion to help out your fellow man when he's down, sick, and broke. Peace everyone...

Last edited:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
The bastards in that place wouldn't even give him a joint because he only had 5 bucks on him. I gave him some of mine, and told everyone in that hellhole that they could summarily f*ck themselves.

The collective I go to now would never treat a human being in such a disgraceful manner. I just thank God I found people who actually care.

What many people don't realize is that we as patients understand (better than anyone else) what it's like to not have enough money for meds.

When I harvest, some of what I've grown I will donate right back to the dispensary that has been there for ME as a patient. It's the least I can do to repay the kindness shown to me. I won't ask for a free 1/8 unless I need it, but they've helped me to get through as I learn to grow my own and it is only right that I too give back.

I also have a problem with some of what I've read here regarding "people shouldn't bitch if they aren't growing their own meds."

Some people are far too ill to do this, and need help. See if you can look someone with stage 4 cancer who weighs 80 pounds in the eye, and tell 'em to stop bitching and start growing? Many wouldn't live long enough to see it to harvest.

If you haven't walked the walk...

I'm sure I'll probably catch hell for this post, but oh well, I think a patient's point of view is warranted, especially when so many folks have no idea of what it's like to be truly ill while trying to navigate through all of the confusion, high prices and people who just plain don't give a shit.

The herb has many healing powers-among them should be having enough compassion to help out your fellow man when he's down, sick, and broke. Peace everyone...

First thank you for taking the time to read the thread.

Second thank you very much for growing.

Third thank you for sharing your experiences. I believe that the front page of ICmag has dispensary reviews. It may be very helpful for you to share the names and reviews of these business.

Fourth thank you to committing to giving back.

I am sorry that you have had poor interactions with some / many in the mj business. You didn't tell us what is the price of MJ in that dispensary you like with out a discount?

I don't want to cast stones at any of these businesses, because I feel all of them are being immorally infringed upon by an immoral government. You mention laws and what they are "meant" to do. These laws are just as scary and immoral as the current government oppression and the bad businesses you mentioned.

You should be free to grow thousands of plants and give away as much as you want to who you want, but you should never be required to give anything. If it is REQUIRED you are taxed presumably for the benefit of "The State" or "The Collective".

Why should you have to work for me or anyone who holds a gun to your head? MJ is an easily grown plant if you got the guns and government out of it wouldn't cost more than any other herb her spice.

Then you wouldn't need big screen TVs, plush lounges, multiple employees, security, etc. etc. etc.

Again I am sorry you need mj more than me or the average ICmager, but "The Reason Marijuana is So Expensive":

Marijuana is expensive because governments of the world are spending billions of dollars and countless man hours of productive labor to defy natural law, they couldn't eradicate a weed that we wanted to get rid of let alone kill a plant which is sheltered and cultivated (even under the treat of EXECUTION) by so many.

As Skip says "If you don't like paying astronomical prices, LEGALIZE it!"

Peace, :joint:

K

Kola Radical

Price is going down here, like a ten dollar hooker.

The market is glutted already. But that is a good thing. Under our broken system, competition is the only thing worth a damn.

OU812

First thank you for taking the time to read the thread.

Second thank you very much for growing.

Third thank you for sharing your experiences. I believe that the front page of ICmag has dispensary reviews. It may be very helpful for you to share the names and reviews of these business.

Fourth thank you to committing to giving back.

I am sorry that you have had poor interactions with some / many in the mj business. You didn't tell us what is the price of MJ in that dispensary you like with out a discount?

I don't want to cast stones at any of these businesses, because I feel all of them are being immorally infringed upon by an immoral government. You mention laws and what they are "meant" to do. These laws are just as scary and immoral as the current government oppression and the bad businesses you mentioned.

You should be free to grow thousands of plants and give away as much as you want to who you want, but you should never be required to give anything. If it is REQUIRED you are taxed presumably for the benefit of "The State" or "The Collective".

Why should you have to work for me or anyone who holds a gun to your head? MJ is an easily grown plant if you got the guns and government out of it wouldn't cost more than any other herb her spice.

Then you wouldn't need big screen TVs, plush lounges, multiple employees, security, etc. etc. etc.

Again I am sorry you need mj more than me or the average ICmager, but "The Reason Marijuana is So Expensive":

Marijuana is expensive because governments of the world are spending billions of dollars and countless man hours of productive labor to defy natural law, they couldn't eradicate a weed that we wanted to get rid of let alone kill a plant which is sheltered and cultivated (even under the treat of EXECUTION) by so many.

As Skip says "If you don't like paying astronomical prices, LEGALIZE it!"

Peace, :joint:

I understand where you are coming from regarding the laws-and yes, I agree that everyone should be able to grow whatever they want to!!

The prices per 1/8 start at $45 without a discount.

It is really a chill place with a nice vibe-if yer feeling crappy, you are welcome to kick back there in the lounge as long as you like. There must be at least 10 people working there-any of whom would bend over backwards for ya. They are there to help, which is a lot more than I can say for most of those other "places." I've kicked it there with cancer, fibromyalgia, migraine, etc. etc. folks who are all SO thankful that someone cares...it is a healing, warm, inviting place that is really comfortable to go to. I look forward it. The budtenders are all WELL educated about strains and what strains will help give the most relief. They all remind me of my days as a kid in Santa Cruz. Hearts of gold, full of caring and a genuine desire to help.

My point about the environment (where I go) is that if they can afford to do this AND help truly ill people, the others can as well...but they don't, because they do not care. It's greed, plain and simple. When I see menus on the net saying "compassionate prices" and everything is $60 and up, that disgusts me. There is nothing compassionate about that when you are sick and in need.

I for one don't want to be buying off the street, who knows what it really is, or what was used to grow it?

At least we do have a state law that allows patients this, without fear of prosecution...

Maybe in my lifetime I'll live to see everyone who needs meds able to get them without the maze a new patient goes through. I've learned a lot...unfortunately a lot of it not good.

There are a lot of bad apples in the basket out here-who just plain don't give a shit about anything except lining their pockets. They could help if they wanted to...and end up better off financially, while scoring some awesome karma at the same time. To me, that's what the herb is all about. Healing, helping, growing. I'm just thankful there is one collective out there that actually understands what that means.

Instead of arguing this in another thread, I was wondering what people think about the price of medical buds for sick people.

From what I understand, buds are sold from between 20 and 30 bucks a gram or 60 bucks or so an eighth. That figures out on the low side to 600 an ounce by the gram or 500 an ounce by eighths. On the high side it could range from 800 to 700 per ounce. That figures out to be around 10,000 dollars per pound. It's my understanding that club owners want to pay 2400 to 3000 per pound. If that's true there's an awful margin between retail and wholesale.

How could someone unable to work, or dying, afford to smoke on a daily basis? A better question seems to be how could a sick or dying person afford to smoke at all?

If these "compassion clubs" actually were concerned in people getting their buds for pain, how can they charge these prices. It saddens me to think of someone not being able to afford it because of the price. I just don't see a whole lot of compassion.....

10K, if this is not suited for this forum just move it......

now your getting it...$$$$$$ its the way of the world...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
in california, growers are getting much less per pound than they did even as recently as 2007

OG Kush which used to sell for $5000+ per pound, now goes for $4000

the same thousand-dollar price drop also occurred with non-kush indoor meds in the last couple years.

i am in favor of cheaper medicine, but it has to be fair to everyone... if a dispensary is paying less, they should charge less also.

yet another case of redistribution of wealth

M

medi-useA

I have nothing to say....

But I read with Interest....

And Yearn for the Day th@ I may face your dilemma's...

And witness you facing them now...

Be well all...Be safe...Happy New Year! :)

muA

Simple.

"Medical Marijuana" is so expensive because most "Medical Marijuana" Growers are Greedy Bastards,
and our Government is in the business of artificially inflating the prices
of various substances for political and personal financial gain.

Supply and Demand only applies when you have limited resources.

Don't tell me you have a limited supply of Cannabis. If you do, Grow More.

So Really: Why doesn't a Dime Bag cost a Dime? People are Dying.

:joint:

zenoonez

Veteran

Simple.

"Medical Marijuana" is so expensive because most "Medical Marijuana" Growers are Greedy Bastards,

So supply and demand don't have play in the corn market? Or the wheat market? Or the tobacco market? Or any other market where a product is grown? Come on man. And as to the government keeping prices high, it isn't them. If you are paying 65 an 8th for fire then that is the cost of fire my friend. The Ds pay a pretty penny for fire as well, its not just some grand conspiracy, its paying the bills. People are dying every day my friend and cannabis may be able to ease their pain but nothing in this life is free.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
No limits on the amount of cannabis? LOL now that's a hoot. ShantiSadhu, go out and plant 5 acres of cannabis and see what happens.

You get me the right to do that securely without risking life w/o parole and I'll give you medical grade priced at $50-75 per ounce. Until then, please hit the Econ 101 books and educate yourself and the risk/reward ratio.

OU812

The Ds pay a pretty penny for fire as well, its not just some grand conspiracy, its paying the bills. People are dying every day my friend and cannabis may be able to ease their pain but nothing in this life is free.

Well, I'm proof that things in life can be free if people care enough to help other people. I see that every time I've ever gone to my collective.

Marijuana is THE LARGEST CASH CROP in the state of California, surpassing everything else this state grows for the entire country! (produce)

If the dispensary that I go to can afford a beautiful, relaxing place to go and they can STILL give free meds to those in need, then so can the others!

It isn't a matter of money, it is a matter of GREED. Dispensaries here are "supposed" to be non-profit. I'd guess 9 out of 10 in this state probably aren't. Who does that screw? Sick people. Find out how much some of these "non-profit" dispensary owners pay themselves every month! It's fine to make a good living and people should be compensated for their work, but some of these guys are making a killing, and help NO ONE but themselves. That is why meds are so expensive. It really is that cut and dry.

I do know how to run a business, and I know what it takes in the way of sweat, manpower and money. Any dispensary that claims to be losing money has one of four problems...

1. shitty meds
2. no business sense
3. they're lying through their teeth, or
4. a shitty rep (usually with good reason)

Paying the bills is one thing and yes, we all have those, but maybe you should go back and read both of my posts in their entirety.

Simple.

A dime bag doesn't cost a dime b/c it costs 20-30k to start a commercial grow for 15 patients.

Then it costs a couple grand a month to keep it going. Plus, consider all the man hours it takes to plan, build and operate.

Then there is the risk. Yes this is "legal" but people still get fucked with on the regular. It could cost 10-100k to defend yourself from an overzealous, anti-MMJ prosecuting attorney.

And, if you plan on paying taxes then it costs money and time to set up and run an LLC. What about having an attorney on retainer?

The cost of renting commercial warehouse space if necessary?

How much do you think it costs to fight a mite infestation? How about the therapy costs after conquering a mite infestation?

etc...

zenoonez

Veteran
You don't know anything about the other Ds situations. You think all Ds rent the same property at the same price? Hire the same lawyers with the same retainers? Buy product at the same price? No. I agree that there are most definitely shady Ds out there but so what? There are shady liquor stores too. Don't patronize them. As to this incessant argument about Ds being greedy, let me just say it clearly and without ambiguity, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GREED. There is nothing wrong with selling marijuana for profit, in fact, at as high a profit as you can get and still maintain the proper profit to volume equilibrium. If you want free meds go grow them and give them away. Do I think that it is nice that some Ds give away meds to those terminally ill and have programs to work with those that are on fixed incomes and or can't work, I love it! But that is a personal choice made by those Ds and those that run them. Peace.

OU812

A dime bag doesn't cost a dime b/c it costs 20-30k to start a commercial grow for 15 patients.

Then it costs a couple grand a month to keep it going. Plus, consider all the man hours it takes to plan, build and operate.

Then there is the risk. Yes this is "legal" but people still get fucked with on the regular. It could cost 10-100k to defend yourself from an overzealous, anti-MMJ prosecuting attorney.

And, if you plan on paying taxes then it costs money and time to set up and run an LLC. What about having an attorney on retainer?

The cost of renting commercial warehouse space if necessary?

How much do you think it costs to fight a mite infestation? How about the therapy costs after conquering a mite infestation?

etc...

Hmmm. I'm growing for myself and two other MMJ patients right now, legally, and I am brand new at this.

So, according to your figures, we each should have spent 1 to 2K to get started?

I don't know how you come up with a figure like that, each of us has spent about $250.00, total. And now that we will be able to start using our own clones from our own mother plants, the cost will go down even more.

Hmmm. I'm growing for myself and two other MMJ patients right now, legally, and I am brand new at this.

So, according to your figures, we each should have spent 1 to 2K to get started?

I don't know how you come up with a figure like that, each of us has spent about $250.00, total. And now that we will be able to start using our own clones from our own mother plants, the cost will go down even more.

Not trying to be a dick, but it is really easy to get setup on a shoestring budget through craigslist and grow mediocre pot for a few buddies. It's quite different to setup a top of the line professional grow and establish longterm patient care with quality, specific needs-based genetics in a competitive market.

So supply and demand don't have play in the corn market? Or the wheat market? Or the tobacco market?

And how much does a pound of Corn or Wheat cost?

Thank you for backing up my point.

I don't have to pay taxes on any of the other herbal medicines I grow in my garden, why should Cannabis be any different?

If you don't think it's a Grand Conspiracy, you need do your Homework.

It's called the Pharmacratic Inquisition.

You don't really think a loving government is trying to keep you from jumping out of third story windows,
and thats why Cannabis, LSD, MDMA, etc. are illegal?

It's a Money Game. End of Story.

How much does a few bottles of Neem Oil and some Filter Screens cost?

If you think we're going to pay for your therapist, you have more problems than Mites.

OU812

You don't know anything about the other Ds situations. You think all Ds rent the same property at the same price? Hire the same lawyers with the same retainers? Buy product at the same price? No. I agree that there are most definitely shady Ds out there but so what? There are shady liquor stores too. Don't patronize them. As to this incessant argument about Ds being greedy, let me just say it clearly and without ambiguity, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GREED. There is nothing wrong with selling marijuana for profit, in fact, at as high a profit as you can get and still maintain the proper profit to volume equilibrium. If you want free meds go grow them and give them away. Do I think that it is nice that some Ds give away meds to those terminally ill and have programs to work with those that are on fixed incomes and or can't work, I love it! But that is a personal choice made by those Ds and those that run them. Peace.

Greed has no place in what should be a compassionate movement. That is why these laws were voted on by the people in my state-to help relieve suffering.

If you backtrack a few posts, you will see that I saw someone undergoing chemo (and vomiting) was REFUSED meds because he didn't have enough money. THAT is morally wrong. Would these guys have gone broke giving him a good bud or a couple of joints and let him keep the $5.00 he had on him? Hell no they wouldn't have. The lack of caring for someone who is in far worse shape than they are disgusts me. As I said before, make a good living yes, but living large off of a law that is supposed to be helping sick people-by helping NO ONE is morally bankrupt IMHO. There are PLENTY of people who can afford to pay, and they do. For those who can't, COMPASSION is the only way to go. This is what passing 215 was supposed to accomplish. There are now more dispensaries in the LA area than there are Starbucks. If business is good enough to support that many businesses, then there is obviously enough to go around and then some. The way the collective operates (that I go to) is proof of that. BTW, folks in hospice situations not only get a generous care package every week, it's also delivered to them free of charge.

I don't have to pay taxes on any of the other herbal medicines I grow in my garden, why should Cannabis be any different?

You don't really think a loving government is trying to keep you from jumping out of third story windows,

If you think we should pay for your therapist, you have more problems than Mites.
It was obviously a joke.

zenoonez

Veteran

Corn prices have fluctuated widely over the past 10 years. Do you think if growing corn were something you could go to prison for it would be as inexpensive? Don't think so. And again, a person sells for price X, people buy it at price X. Don't want it that high? Then don't buy it. As to taxation, I don't think you should have to pay taxes on anything but the money you spend. I am in favor of a consumption tax. Pharmaceutical inquisition? LOL. You are a wordsmith indeed aren't you? So where are the people being crucified and quartered? Pharmaceutical companies lobby the govt just like everyone else, the MJ movement just isn't old enough and well organized enough to have a hand in the pie. As to why drugs are illegal, I think it stems from a very basic misunderstanding of the role of government but hey you can blame it on whatever you want.

supermanlives

Veteran
anything over 300 an oz is highway robbery. theres greedy people out there and there is suckers and sick people willing to pay.i could sell at 200 a z and still do just fine if i was selling

Latest posts

Latest posts