What's new

Why is medical marijuana so expensive?

B

Blue Dot

Dumb asses like me lonley with no life as mentioned by Blue Dot who has ZERO grow shots to help people learn from, spend countless hours posting information about GROWING and how to GROW better.

If you have a specific grow question just ask.

If you think I didn't spend 20+ years in the hort industry and not wanted to give back to help then your nuts.

I can hardly bend over anymore after tending to so many plants.

My hips are shot.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
so there are studies conducted with real thc caps??? where????

the thc i got was before they invented ....marinol a pill which is totally worthless imho..i never tried marinol but developed my opinion from
others who have...waste of time i hear

personally i though i was one of the few cancer surviors from 30 years
ago that got real 100% thc caps ... most people who had cancer
back then are dead now... apparently most of the pot community is
not even aware that the goverment gave 100% thc caps to cancer patients...mine was kept in the nurses station under lock....

i would love to see my dr write a script for pot caps, 100 500 mg of
100% thc caps, and pick them up at my pharmacy .. no dr letter($)
no card($) and no dispensary ($) maybe i could even get medical
grade hash from the pharmacy instead of thc pills... the hash would
be tested for the thc content for those mm who prefer to smoke
or inhale the hash fumes...

als83

No you wouldn't as it's not that good and it's pretty expensive. I have taken the pills here and they do very little. Maybe it's different for ppl that haven't smoked as much pot as I have but for me they didn't work. I'm taking the ones they give you in Canada Cesamet (Nabilone) and they cost $630.00 for 90 pills now who is making the money off of that??????? Medusers are getting ripped off with pot every which way they turn and it's the dealers whether they are on the street or in the clubs that are making the money not us. Peace out Headband707:noway:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I fucking hate the clubs.

$60 an 8th for shit, even if its top shelf.

Clubs fuck up the whole market...they are breaking their shit down steady 5-6k a pound so the rest of us dont get shit.

Plus they charge so much tax. I have friends who are club whores and i just laugh at them. Go ahead and pay $65 dollars for 3.5 grams that i could hook up 4g for $40 of similar quality....

B

Blue Dot

I fucking hate the clubs.

$60 an 8th for shit, even if its top shelf.

Clubs fuck up the whole market...they are breaking their shit down steady 5-6k a pound so the rest of us dont get shit.

Plus they charge so much tax. I have friends who are club whores and i just laugh at them. Go ahead and pay $65 dollars for 3.5 grams that i could hook up 4g for $40 of similar quality....

You missed my thread?

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=141057

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
BD: Sorry to hear about the pain in the joints. If you ever make it this way I bet the PK can take the edge off. I posted specific or general questions and JJ told me to go F myself, I mean he explained that there were grow forums (Funny I never knew that). But if you really care I'd love to learn and I work hard at my plants.

My question was. How do I increase my yeild from .5grms per square foot per day closer to 1.0 grams per square foot per day. As I told JJ, the thread in my sig documents my folly and last time my 50 square feet of PK for 56 days equaled 49.5oz, and I'm looking to double that. I have spent a lot of time and money to Upgrade the .5 to 1.0 but I'm always looking for ideas.

Peace, :joint:

zenoonez

Veteran
I do not advocate nor feel it is necessary to have caregivers or dispensaries.
They only exist to supply the recreational user under the pretext of State Law. As I have stated previously, I believe a community based system should be promoted to assist every patient who wishes to learn and receive assistance in growing their own. Only those who are too sick and can not do for themselves need another to grow for them. That should be a family member or dear friend, not some stranger looking to profit off the patients needs.

Anyone who wants to continue selling high priced marijuana is free to do so, just not in the medicinal marijuana community. If someone wants to buy from a caregiver or dispensary, they are free to do so.
I am only advocating another option for the patient instead of being held hostage to the current profit-driven system,

So wait... you want to set up a system outside of the caregiver and dispensary method but you want to destroy the caregiver and dispensary method? Or you don't? How about ideally our right to grow mj wouldn't be infringed in the first place so anyone and everyone would be able to grow but you know that there will still be people who will buy it from dispensaries. How about the people taking care of grandma and grandpa should be family and not nursing homes. Would you disagree with that? Those people who run nursing homes for profit, tsk tsk tsk on them! Dispensaries and caregivers provide a service that will be used as long as people are too lazy to do it themselves.

B

Blue Dot

Dispensaries and caregivers provide a service that will be used as long as people are too lazy to do it themselves.

Hey now. Lazy?

What about brown thumb/knowledge?

What about mobility?

What about finances?

What about location?

What about genetics?

als83

That's enough for me. Please provide photos and knowledge on how to really simply refine stuff to 100% TCH, because that is what I'm all about. I try but my shit doesn't always even bubble let alone reach 100%. Lay some knowledge on me.

i don't know how thc oil is made i got mine from the govt 30 years ago
for cancer... i'm sure its not rocket science to do this...

am presently using overpriced pot from my provider from hell
who charges me $50 for a 1/8... nice guy

hash has been made for thousands of years
google for help in making hash....

one of my roomates use to make
hash oil in our kitchen... so if he can do it without thousands of $
30 years ago you can do it too...

no i'm not giving details ..except
hint find a big pot...

imho, commercial farmers would grow low grade pot cheaply ....like lettuce
on thousands of acers...the pot would then
be convert commercialy into thc oi or hash and sold in my local
pharmacy without a dr letter, card or use of a dispensary or care
giver... it will come down to this scenario if the greedy pot growers
continue their outrageous prices for mm patients...it will be mandated
into law....

als83

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
so if everyone gave out free medicine, and just made enough money to cover rent/ a lease, electricity, and a 10 $ an hour ( just an example ) pay rate who's gonna bail these caregivers out of jail, and pay for their lawyer if the feds swoop in and bust them? I'm all for helping people out but I feel that there are several factors not being taken into consideration here.

A 500$ ounce is wrong but a 300$ ounce is reasonable in my opinion. Anyone who is burning an ounce a week or even every two weeks should look at alternative ways of medicating because that much smoke isn't good for you no matter how you look at it.

Edibles are a good alternative then, alot of times trim is available for a low cost if not free, it's not to hard to make oil or butter for consumption then they could regulate how strong their medicine is.

As far as low income/no income patients are concerned is it possible that they could do some form of volunteer work for free meds, in most cases I would say it's pretty possible. 2 cents

als83

No you wouldn't as it's not that good and it's pretty expensive. I have taken the pills here and they do very little. Maybe it's different for ppl that haven't smoked as much pot as I have but for me they didn't work. I'm taking the ones they give you in Canada Cesamet (Nabilone) and they cost $630.00 for 90 pills now who is making the money off of that??????? Medusers are getting ripped off with pot every which way they turn and it's the dealers whether they are on the street or in the clubs that are making the money not us. Peace out Headband707:noway:

nope never heard of Cesamet (Nabilone)before...

but its definetly not
pure thc ..which is what i got 30 years ago....

i recomend refining into pure 100% THC i don't know how the
goverment did it... but i'm sure it is not a state secret
maybe you can get the paperwork from the FOIA its been
30 years now...secrets don't last that long....

nor is it, i doubt, rocket science to do....you probably need
more than your kitchen to do it...like a real lab..

from the net...

http://health.lifestyle.yahoo.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=711&rot=4

"Nabilone is chemically related to marijuana and belongs to the class of medications called cannabinoids. It is used to treat severe nausea and vomiting in people undergoing cancer chemotherapy. It works on centers in the brain to reduce nausea and cause sedation. "

als83

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
The Doctor who recommends MMJ is still violation of federal law by prescribing a SCHEDULE I narcotic.

No, that's incorrect. The entire reason for issuing a 'recommendation' is because it's protected under the 1st amendment. A recommendation is not a prescription. See http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=735 for details.

I've been wondering why no ambulance chasers have file a malpractice suit against a pot doc yet. It seems it would be such an easy target, and so many people equate the presence of pot with causality of anything that goes wrong I'd think it easy to find a jury to give an award to the plaintiff. Either they've managed to keep them all on the QT or nothing is going wrong with patients. Both seem highly unlikely.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Is this speculation on your part or do you have first hand knowledge that "it still does the same thing, if you are using it for medical reasons" ? Are you indicating that the top shelf being supplied by the dispensaries is being used for other reasons besides medical applications?

I have first hand knowledge that cannabis that doesn't have the 'bag appeal' and therefore costs less will have practically the same effect. Having a huge bud that's been trimmed of all its leaves gets you a very pretty bud, but properly cured, barely trimmed popcorn from the same plant is identical in actual effect for all intents and purposes.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheap POT ? I dont have a get out of jail free card ..... so wheres my 20k in legal fees going to come from ? Until the law is actually treated as such its going to be a concern and prices are going to stay up. Legalize !!!

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I think that would be a good arrangement. As long as the patient pays even if the plant gets ripped off by either police or thieves or insects or whatever else could go wrong.

Oh yes .. and the patient pays even if the total harvest is five grams.

It's a fine arrangement if entered into by two people voluntarily. Make it required by law and it's just another horse shit constriction on supply.

Oh, the patient also needs to indemnify the grower for any legal costs, and would preferably have his name on the property where the growing occurs. If not the patient needs to indemnify the grower in the case of any asset forfeiture.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Forcing those who produce mj to do so for a lower cost than the market's natural value = forcing someone to take less for their product than it is worth which = stealing in my book. There are very few people in the world that care about others more than themselves. To be honest, I think its delusional either way, whether they truly believe it or not. If you want mj at a lower price find a caregiver who you can work something out with or find a dispensary that offers hardship programs.

What is delusional is thinking that they can force it to happen. It's all well and good to think up Utopian fantasies, it's another to put them into practice. They seem to think that things just exist to be divided up, they have no concept of what it means to create wealth. They think their landlord is committing 'economic rape' (no really that was a direct quote from some idiot asshole on one of these threads) because they have no clue the effort required to put that house up, or any concept that it wouldn't exist if someone hadn't put in the work. To date, I still haven't had anyone even try to explain to me how the presence of 'profiteers' makes it difficult for people to give stuff away, or why it would dissuade them from doing so in this particular market. I sure couldn't compete with someone giving it away free. There would be more people needing medicine if I disappeared, and would then go to those who are working under a vow of poverty, increasing their burden.

I've said before, I'll say it again. I could make boatloads more money at $50/ounce in a legal environment than I could even dream of making at $500/ounce in the current environment. If you don't believe it, you just don't understand economies of scale and why it's impossible to take advantage of them in the current environment. No one would pay thousands for a pound of lettuce, but lettuce growers can set up automated greenhouses that cover acres and acres, and they can hire all the cheapest labor without worrying that if they hire the wrong guy their operation will get busted or ripped off.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You got one thing right, I'm not too smart. "Too bad I don't have a party store or a cop discount" has nothing to do with you unless you think it does.

You are the one refering to the sick and dying as the "chosen ones" because I assume I won't have a JJ free MMJ card but the "sick" in your eyes will, or is there some other magical judge of who is ENTITLED to my labor at a discount and who should compensate me more for the same labor.

So let's take your $200 an oz number or $3,200 a lb, less $600 in elec alone down to $2,600 for 2.1 months if we use Hammer as a baseline. $2,600 for 2.1 months to cover who knows what doesn't equal rich. If we say the guy instead got $300 an oz then Hammer would have $4,200 (kind of a cool number) about 5 times a year or $21,000 now he can go an pay for housing in CA but he will not be rich at $21,000 gross. Looking at those numbers I would NOT call Hammer a scumbag if he charged $300.

JJ, I've dropped some legal links and arguments grounded in logic and legal history, you've really dodged the entitlement / enslavement / control of what I do on my land discussion.

If it's costing you 600 in electricity to grow a pound my friend, you better find something else to be doing, lol..... I live in one of the most expensive areas for electric in the US, and I can pull nearly a pound off one 600 watt digital. And it costs me 70 dollars for two months to run it on 12/12

You can do what you want to do on your land. Just quit trying to snowball everyone on what it costs to grow a pd of good weed.

Babba, it sounds like you and the Mrs. have gotten involved with a good dispensary. Those prices are fantastic and the owner should be commended.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I am a Dr. and YOU decide that an open hart surgery will be $100 and to get more is a crime then you are steeling the Drs labor and acting unethically.

You haven't read my posts or checked out my albums because if you had you'd see that I "Care" for a lot of people, and I LOVE ICmag, and I GIVE knowledge, my time, and genetics free of charge.

Do I give all those things to only the right people on your list, I doubt it; but in my world your list doesn't mean shit.

I have offered personal freedom and responsibility; if you take that to be greed or evil than you are looking at your feet while trying to build a skyscraper.

And here I thought that the MM activists were pushing for medical weed to fight the costs of Dr's and high prescription costs. Now you're using it as an excuse to charge high prices, lol...

M

Marywanna

So you refer to the sick and dying and the people that are in need of medical marijuana as the "chosen ones"? And to answer your question, I think a couple hundred an ounce is fair "compensation" to charge a sick person.

The grow forums are filled with information regarding your questions. This is the laws and legislation forum.

And it wasn't very smart referring to me as a cop.....
Why attack JJ? Your choice to grow. If you don't like it then don't do it.:moon: Now I will go back down to my Moms basement and do a few bong hits before school starts.....................:nanana:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
If it's costing you 600 in electricity to grow a pound my friend, you better find something else to be doing, lol..... I live in one of the most expensive areas for electric in the US, and I can pull nearly a pound off one 600 watt digital. And it costs me 70 dollars for two months to run it on 12/12

You can do what you want to do on your land. Just quit trying to snowball everyone on what it costs to grow a pd of good weed.

WTF :fsu: who's snowballing now? Wasn't I using HAMMER's $290 per month in Elec and HAMMER's 1lb every 2.1 months or so (every harvest). With HIS numbers elec is about $600 per lb. So WTF. I may do a little better than HAMMER on lbs per $ of elect but not by huge amounts. If you can pull one lb on a $70 bill you are a god. I'd love to see the 5lbs a month on a $350 electric bill. That could really help us learn. Please enlighten us.

And I am not a MMJ activist or any other activist. I am an Objectivist, Selfist, Individual and just trying to point out that ANYONE commanding another under the cloak of moral authority is evil and dangerous to all free men.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why attack JJ? Your choice to grow. If you don't like it then don't do it.:moon: Now I will go back down to my Moms basement and do a few bong hits before school starts.....................:nanana:

To what degree should ICmager's be ENSLAVED for the NEEDS of the chosen?

I don't think I'd use the word attack. But if you want my opinion I don't think it's cool to refer to the sick and dying that need MM as the "chosen".

But to each his own I guess. I'm beginning to get the idea that some people feel that some that get MM don't actually need it. Is this what the anger is about?

Let it be known that the ones I feel shouldn't be paying those high prices are the people that are truly sick and have no other choices. If there are people getting MM that jog down to their dispensory on their way to the bar, these aren't the ones I'm concerned for....