What's new

Why is medical marijuana so expensive?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Why attack JJ? Your choice to grow. If you don't like it then don't do it.:moon: Now I will go back down to my Moms basement and do a few bong hits before school starts.....................:nanana:

Really didn't you post that at 10:30 EST? You stoned teachers or students get a late start there. Thank you for validating my central point "your choice to grow."

Since it is my choice JJ and others can have all the opinions they want, but what I do with my production is my business.

So what about you Mary, how many $$$ of elec to produce one lb?

Peace, :joint:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WTF :fsu: who's snowballing now? Wasn't I using HAMMER's $290 per month in Elec and HAMMER's 1lb every 2.1 months or so (every harvest). With HIS numbers elec is about $600 per lb. So WTF. I may do a little better than HAMMER on lbs per $ of elect but not by huge amounts. If you can pull one lb on a $70 bill you are a god. I'd love to see the 5lbs a month on a $350 electric bill. That could really help us learn. Please enlighten us.

And I am not a MMJ activist or any other activist. I am an Objectivist, Selfist, Individual and just trying to point out that ANYONE commanding another under the cloak of moral authority is evil and dangerous to all free men.

I used 1360 KWH last month and my entire electric bill for my ENTIRE house cost 108 dollars. How much do you people pay for KWH?

And lets not be using the electric for the entire building when figuring this...

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I don't think I'd use the word attack. But if you want my opinion I don't think it's cool to refer to the sick and dying that need MM as the "chosen".

But to each his own I guess. I'm beginning to get the idea that some people feel that some that get MM don't actually need it. Is this what the anger is about?

Let it be known that the ones I feel shouldn't be paying those high prices are the people that are truly sick and have no other choices. If there are people getting MM that jog down to their dispensory on their way to the bar, these aren't the ones I'm concerned for....

This is the slippery slope, will the JJ card issue to the "Truely Sick" or "Chosen" and the guy that can jog to the bar can't get one. I am not good enough to draw this line and be 100% correct, not excluding ANY "true sick" and not including ANY "Not just really sick enough, or they've got too much money anyway."

My anger and resentment comes from others taking a moral high ground and allocating my production, and then taking offense if I disagree with their allocation of MY labor.

I am all for community and helping others, but the degree to which and timing of my help is my business. If I choose to give publicly, privately, or not at all, this is also my business.

Let's DO use the entire house if we are talking about a in home mmj grow. To be fair to the spirt of this thread, you at least have to let the subsistance caregive / sharecroper to have power for his ICmag computer and cook is breakfast.

So here in the dessert we pay $.12 - $.13 KWH so our bill for your KWH would be appx $170

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
So wait... you want to set up a system outside of the caregiver and dispensary method but you want to destroy the caregiver and dispensary method? Or you don't? How about ideally our right to grow mj wouldn't be infringed in the first place so anyone and everyone would be able to grow but you know that there will still be people who will buy it from dispensaries. How about the people taking care of grandma and grandpa should be family and not nursing homes. Would you disagree with that? Those people who run nursing homes for profit, tsk tsk tsk on them! Dispensaries and caregivers provide a service that will be used as long as people are too lazy to do it themselves.
Okay this would be my 2 cents and it has nothing to do with being too lazy....
I think medusers should get together find themselves or even smarter grow themselves a good crop and co-op with other medusers to buy lbs not oz. Fuck the clubs and their outragous prices. Be smart and start your own small club. If a person can't afford it this time get them next time etc.There are always ways around a bad situation. peace out Headband707 P.S. What is a caregiver??:joint: not from the US

M

Marywanna

Why is it SO hard for some people to understand that while we may LIKE to smoke MMJ,it's a lot different to NEED it. It is not a joke and the pts with legal status don't appreciate being rediculed. When you have a headache,do you take aspirin or something for it? Point is we are all wanting the same thing...........LEGAL MJ, for everybody.PEACE!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you pay 40 percent more than I do for electric. At our rates it would cost me about 100 dollars to run a 600 watt on 12/12 for 2 months. So if the 600 gets me 12 ounces it's going to cost about 140 dollars for a lb of weed in electricity...

Why does everyone get so emotional when someone charges 45-50 an 1/8th? Why are growers the bad guys because they chose to partake in a hobby, business, call it what you may, that will put you in jail/prison if caught. If all those folks didn't do it the prices would be even higher. Yes I feel that high prices suck but, it is what it is, and if you have someone that gives cheap meds, your lucky. When you roll in all the failed crops, the electric bill, the nutes, building the room, and or tending to your garden outdoor's, this is not a cheap thing, and if you get caught well whats your freedom worth. When you fill up your car with 3.00 dollar a gallon gas do you get pissed, Exxon made 15 billion in one quarter and thats just Exxon. Do you carry on about every unfair thing in life, feel blessed that you have the courage to ingest MMJ and actually see the game for what it is, you are a CONsumer of products, but be just as pissed when you are getting fucked by legit companies. I think 10-15 dollars for a seed is crazy, i think 200 dollars for nutes is crazy, i think 15 dollar brownie is not just crazy but ludicrous, I think driving from S. Ca to the Bay area to get a clone is fucking nuts, but the experience of it all is priceless. Think of all those 9-5ers that are actually scared to even ingest MJ, what a boring fucking life they are leading. At the end of the day you only have to be happy with yourself if you think your product is worth 50 an 1/8 then fucking get 50, if you want to give it away, then give it away.

PharmaCan

Veteran
WTF are you pathetic crybabies carrying on about with the mods? This has got to be one of the most liberally moderated forums in existence. Very few forums allow users to freely express their views regardless of what side of the fence they are on.

Moderating a busy forum is a lot of work. The mods have to read every single post, regardless of how boring or unintelligible they are. They have to do this everyday, day in and day out.

If y'all can't appreciate the fact that we are lucky to have a forum where we can freely express our views, maybe you ought to go try posting on some other forums and find out what real censorship is like. But leave the mods here alone - we're lucky to have them! And quit feeling like you're being picked on you sissy-ass crybabies. Everyone gets a post deleted or some other type of moderation activity once in a while. So what? This a friggin online forum, it's not like they're out banging your wife.

Jeez...

PC

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Not to say we may or may not be not cheating or banging ourselves.

This is JJ's thread, he is a Mod and he has allowed me to be pissy defensive / over aggressive in the exercise of my free speech rights; I would like to apologize to him for being discurtious. My views are strongly held even if some times poorly worded (first sentence of this post for example ;) )

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now that we've all done with our group hug, lets carry on with the arguing, I mean discussing , lol....

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Ok, the hug is great too bad some of the kids took their toys and left the sandbox.

JJ, from the Icmagers numbers for a light elec bill in so cal and being a good ICmag grower the power bill penciled out to $600 per lb of personal mmj produced for around 5lbs a year. It would take a 10x in productivity or 50lbs a year for this ICmager to hit the current crazy Too Rich Need to Pay More Taxes level, used in the current US political debate and class warfare context. So let's say the ICmager would need to grow his own weed and an extra 50lbs, sold at $5,000 a lb to reach the magic $250K number.

I'll be honest. I have NEVER had a 50lb year.

I fear government, organized religion, and any group or individual that seeks to infringe on my liberties; and I strive to never infringe on the liberties of my neighbor.

danut

I do not advocate nor feel it is necessary to have caregivers or dispensaries.
They only exist to supply the recreational user under the pretext of State Law. As I have stated previously, I believe a community based system should be promoted to assist every patient who wishes to learn and receive assistance in growing their own. Only those who are too sick and can not do for themselves need another to grow for them. That should be a family member or dear friend, not some stranger looking to profit off the patients needs.
Now I understand. You want to do away with caregivers.
That's why you promote distaste for them.
Why you seem to feel nothing is going to be good enough from a caregiver.
Why you tend to describe most caregivers as criminals.

Anyone who wants to continue selling high priced marijuana is free to do so, just not in the medicinal marijuana community. If someone wants to buy from a caregiver or dispensary, they are free to do so.
I am only advocating another option for the patient instead of being held hostage to the current profit-driven system,
And what is that option?

I favor complete legalization.

danut

so there are studies conducted with real thc caps??? where????

the thc i got was before they invented ....marinol a pill which is totally worthless imho..i never tried marinol but developed my opinion from
others who have...waste of time i hear

personally i though i was one of the few cancer surviors from 30 years
ago that got real 100% thc caps ... most people who had cancer
back then are dead now... apparently most of the pot community is
not even aware that the goverment gave 100% thc caps to cancer patients...mine was kept in the nurses station under lock....
New stuff to me. And I'm specializing in the area.

Please tell me a lot more!!

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
MMJ Growers, commercial or otherwise still take a risk of losing their possessions and their liberty by growing, for themselves, for particular patients, or for a larger retail MMJ outfit.

'Cos whatever your state says, Uncle Sam says "NO!".

I understand people willing to take that risk for free or a minimal cost, I also understand people not willing to do that.

I don't think ill of commercial growers, in whatever environment, semi-legit or full illegal. The more weed the better, and the market sets the price.

I don't hear any talk of seeded mexican brick weed. Maybe it's not quite so potent, maybe you don't know what chemicals are involved (do you know this for premium bud you buy?).
But you can get an ounce for the price of an eighth of the kind stuff from a retail MMJ outlet.

I guess the dispensaries don't offer mexibrick at $10 per eighth? For health reasons? Or maybe it just isn't good for the bottom line.

But if I were a med patient on a tight budget, I'd probably feel better about myself by buying the cheap stuff than relying on the kindness of growers, who I know could sell their product for top dollar.

This thread has been very focussed on outlets selling Top quality, big-name bud for top quality, big-name prices.

I figure that cheap mexibrick works better than no weed at all, or even some prescription meds, which is where this whole MMJ scene started in the first place.

Edit: Maybe there is a legal reason for this I haven't considered....like everything has to be produced in-state? I'm sure someone can clear this up.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Edit: Maybe there is a legal reason for this I haven't considered....like everything has to be produced in-state? I'm sure someone can clear this up.

Nope the Feds said Fyou to that in the Supreme Court case I sighted Rache v. Gonzolez I believe.

There the CA med patient growing for herself and consuming 100% of what she grew was a "larger threat" to the economy, this was a continuation of the filbert case I believe, where a farmer was allowed to grow X amount of wheat on his own land to feed his own live stock but instead he grew Y amount and because he exercised judgement and reason by PRODUCING he was a "larger threat" to the economy.

Do you see why I feel like Alice watching the world paint roses red?

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
In colorado everything is supposed to be grown in state, although there are dispensaries passing off cali outdoor to the uneducated. (usually for 60+ an 1/8) I feel that we need to get the shady "mafia"
element out of the scene and a lot of things will change.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Nope the Feds said Fyou to that in the Supreme Court case I sighted Rache v. Gonzolez I believe.

There the CA med patient growing for herself and consuming 100% of what she grew was a "larger threat" to the economy, this was a continuation of the filbert case I believe, where a farmer was allowed to grow X amount of wheat on his own land to feed his own live stock but instead he grew Y amount and because he exercised judgement and reason by PRODUCING he was a "larger threat" to the economy.

Do you see why I feel like Alice watching the world paint roses red?

Yet the Feds say the whole fucking thing is illegal!

So illegally growing a plant in Cali is OK...sort of. But illegally (or not...the way Mexico is now) growing a plant in Mexico and selling it in Cali is not OK?

Cali are already giving the one-finger salute to the Feds. Why be prissy about that little technicality?

Why did you paint those roses? They should be BLACK! Get cracking! :joint:

Last edited:

zenoonez

Veteran
Hey now. Lazy?

What about brown thumb/knowledge?

What about mobility?

What about finances?

What about location?

What about genetics?

Are there reasons other than laziness that people use dispensaries and caregivers? Yes. Does that mean that the vast majority aren't just too lazy to do it? No. Go into a club and tell me that the people inside of them are unable to grow mj.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I feel this is a very one-sided convo....I mean, ppl have been giving good points for both sides...but there are some facts that keep getting shoved aside....
I agree that the very sick/terminal Patients do deserve a break...however...there are many Dispensaries/Co-ops that have programs for them--
In LA especially, there is maybe 1 Patient out of 100 that is a truly sick person...the rest, tho I believe they are valid Patients, are ppl with chronic pain, headaches, insomnia....and while not negating their ailments, they are hardly life threatening--
I believe if Cannabis makes you feel good...that is a legitimate medical reason-- But I don't feel that you/me should get free shit--
If the Dispensaries DID start selling at very cheap prices...it would just all end up resold on the streets...and that is hardly fair for the Growers...if we have to take less, so someone else can make $$ off our work--
And I won't even go into the obvious risk factors that can jump up and bite you in the ass!! (Aint that right Babba??)