What's new

Why doesn't my plant appear frosty ? Week 10 of flowering

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I recently began growing for myself April 4th 2009, the day my Medical Marijuana Application was mailed to the state.

It's been a rough start, some seeds I purchased produced all males or hermies.
A kind member from another site sent me some seeds he had produced and, I have a lovely female which I've nursed to this point.
I vegged her for two months, took some clones and placed her in to flowering.
It took forever before she began showing flowers, over one month.
Today she is in her tenth week of flowering and while she has big buds, I don't see anything close to some of the buds I've seen at this stage.
Many white pistils, some turning a little brown but, I don't see that frosty, dripping trichs like many pictures show in the various grow logs.
Last week she started a new growth spurt on the tallest buds.

Have I done something wrong after all this time ?
The strain is a private breeding between a Master Kush and Skunk #1

I have her under two 400 HPS inside my closet, grown in dirt.

Attachments

• 2Lilith 07-20-09.jpg
    2Lilith 07-20-09.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 6
You could be doing lots wrong or you could just have a crappy performer. All that herming could have been from stressed plants. How much soil have you given them? Are you watering them and feeding them properly? Do they get sufficient ventilation and even temperatures? The female you have going looks less developed than anythin I've seen at 10 weeks...

LlamaSchool

Yes there is something wrong here. What are your temperatures? What is your light cycle? I would suggest only using one 400w HPS if you only have one plant.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
You could be doing lots wrong or you could just have a crappy performer. All that herming could have been from stressed plants. How much soil have you given them? Are you watering them and feeding them properly? Do they get sufficient ventilation and even temperatures? The female you have going looks less developed than anythin I've seen at 10 weeks...

The hermi was a different strain I bought over the Internet.

She is in a five gallon square pot.
I believe I am watering her properly, I wait for the soil to become almost dry.
I tell by lifting the pot and measuring the weight, most times I'm able to just tell she needs a drink. In these last weeks that has been one gallon every day.
As for nutes, I don't have anything fancy, just stuff from the local hardware store.
I don't have a ventilation system yet so, I leave the door to the closet open with a fan sucking out the hot air. The temperature is room temp, maybe a few degrees higher.

The big buds are about as thick as my arm, about 18-24 inches long but, they do have a lot of single blade leaves.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Yes there is something wrong here. What are your temperatures? What is your light cycle? I would suggest only using one 400w HPS if you only have one plant.

Yes, I had planned on having more so I bought two.
The light cycle is 12/12, temps are room temp (70-75)

RetroGrow

Veteran
It looks like you were just unfortunate to get inferior genetics. That's the way it goes sometimes. You can grow out many plants from seed, and some will just not be that good. I suggest getting some "premium" seeds if you can. It's worth it to grow out a bunch, and select a "keeper". Then work from clone. Plenty of good gear out there. No reason to settle for something inferior.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
enjoy it but yeah, locate the good crystally shit instead

I wouldn't reveg it unless it actually smokes or yields good enough for what you are lookin for.

bummer on the bunk BUT that beast is HUGE.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
It looks like you were just unfortunate to get inferior genetics. That's the way it goes sometimes. You can grow out many plants from seed, and some will just not be that good. I suggest getting some "premium" seeds if you can. It's worth it to grow out a bunch, and select a "keeper". Then work from clone. Plenty of good gear out there. No reason to settle for something inferior.

Yes, I'm new to this and the purchase of seeds was a big deal to me.
When I bought some and each plant was either a male or hermie, I was very disappointed to say the least. This person read my difficulties and PM'd me offering these seeds.
I have since made a few purchases from Seedbay and am hopeful they will be better.
I can't afford to buy medz but, I also can't afford to keep growing crap.

Is there any way to save this grow and make it better so I can at least harvest her?
Why would it start a new growth spurt ?
It was at the same height for almost 6 weeks and now she is growing from the tops.

robbiedublu

Your dark period is TOTALLY dark? I doubt it. It shouldn't take a month for a plant to start to show some flowers after going into 12/12. Theres something wrong with your day/night cycle is my guess. What other equipment do you have in your flowering room? Anything with any kind of small light? (like a power strip?) Its difficult to believe that your temps are in the 70's with 2 400w lights in a closet. Are you sure about that? What is the npk ratio of the nutes your using?
Why are you doing just one plant? Why not just buy an inexpensive pack of seeds from seedbay and you should end up with 4 or 5 females minimum.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I would keep flowering it till week 15-20 then harvest what is there.
Then start all over with "premium" seeds.

but thats me.

lordbudly

Veteran
i agree with robbie, maybe your dark period is completely dark and thats why you got hermies, then this plant is just resistant to hermying, but is growing super slow in the bud/production stage because theres a small leak slowing down the buddage

I would give it one light and start as many new seeds as you can to start the selection process...

Last edited by a moderator:

Owl Mirror

Veteran
BTW, I recently bought Jorge Cervantes book; Marijuana Grow Basics
I am hoping to have a grow room built this next month, if I can afford it.
Then I can have a proper ventilation system.
If I make the room 8 x 4 x 8, would my two 400 HPS be enough or should I make the room smaller?
I am only growing for myself and want to remain under my states legal limit of 2.5 usable, 12 plants max.

After all this time, I am really disappointed !
I've tried researching all the info on growing but, most times I'm not able to duplicate the advice due to finances and my remote location.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Your dark period is TOTALLY dark? I doubt it. It shouldn't take a month for a plant to start to show some flowers after going into 12/12. Theres something wrong with your day/night cycle is my guess. What other equipment do you have in your flowering room? Anything with any kind of small light? (like a power strip?) Its difficult to believe that your temps are in the 70's with 2 400w lights in a closet. Are you sure about that? What is the npk ratio of the nutes your using?
Why are you doing just one plant? Why not just buy an inexpensive pack of seeds from seedbay and you should end up with 4 or 5 females minimum.

Hm? I sealed off the room but, never thought about that little red light on the power strip. You mean that could be causing me all this trouble?

Owl Mirror

Veteran

Its difficult to believe that your temps are in the 70's with 2 400w lights in a closet. Are you sure about that?

I don't have a thermometer in the room but, I feel no difference between the rest of the house and inside the closet.
I keep the door open from the time the lights come on and have a floor fan backwards so it sucks the air out rather than blowing in to the closet.

Well, I wish I had asked for help much sooner.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
no, that can't have that sort of affect

Thanks, I was worried !

I just can't believe I've wasted all this time and cost to end up with crap.
I'm so tired of these opiates and was hoping I could stop taking them once I had a good harvest.
Looks like I keep taking them until I can sort this out.

ToughGirl

Hm? I sealed off the room but, never thought about that little red light on the power strip. You mean that could be causing me all this trouble?

It could be. It's hard to believe, but your room needs to be completely pitch black when the lights are off. Not always as easy as it sounds.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Here is what this strain is suppose to be comprised of:

Master Kush is listed as a “mostly Indica” strain of marijuana, and is one of the most potent strains available.

Skunk#1 (75% Sativa, 25% Indica) from Dutch Passion was originally a cross between 25% Afghani, 25% Mexican Acapulco Gold and 50% Colombian Gold.

Does it even look like this would be a possibility?
Maybe I've been punk'd ?

Latest posts

Latest posts