What's new

Why doesn't my plant appear frosty ? Week 10 of flowering

Owl Mirror

Veteran
On the topic of getting other strains.
I can't afford those high-end strains so I have taken the best alternative route I could find. I obtained two strains from Seedbay recently. In both orders, I received a few beans of another strain as a gift.

These strains are:

Nepali ~ Landrace from Baglung/Nepalhttp://www.*********.com/forums/strains/report-382/

Ethiopian Highland ~ Landrace from Ethiopia/Africa

and the gift,
Mazar-i-Shariff ~ Landrace from Mazar-i-Shariff/Afghanistan

I have one Mazar and one Nepali that are about one month old.
I am hoping that once this plant is finished, I can begin these two strains.
I have a few Ethiopian Highland seedlings that might be ready if it takes longer than two weeks for this plant to finish.

I hope I can get something worthwhile out of these seeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
It may be the only thing you've botched was not buying a big bottle of patience from Kmart.

Some strains hermie. Sux but, true. If 1000 seeds in a row are male, the odds on seed 1001 are still 50-50. Hermies from seed usually means the moms were hermies. My Thunk took close to 90 days of 12/12 before a single trich showed up.

I realize you're unhappy at the moment but, I'm not convinced you screwed up. I'm leaning towards a string of bad luck followed by impatience.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
It could be. It's hard to believe, but your room needs to be completely pitch black when the lights are off. Not always as easy as it sounds.

Yeah it has been a challenge to be growing inside a closet.
Let alone not having any place for my clothes !
I am hopeful to afford to build this new room. I just got permission from my landlord.
I should be able to make it totally dark.
I really wish my state would just allow me to grow outdoors.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
It may be the only thing you've botched was not buying a big bottle of patience from Kmart.

Some strains hermie. Sux but, true. If 1000 seeds in a row are male, the odds on seed 1001 are still 50-50. Hermies from seed usually means the moms were hermies. My Thunk took close to 90 days of 12/12 before a single trich showed up.

I realize you're unhappy at the moment but, I'm not convinced you screwed up. I'm leaning towards a string of bad luck followed by impatience.

Thanks !
I actually have another plant in the same room. A clone from this plant and it looks nothing like the mother. It's tall and filled with a bunch of quarter-sized buds all up and down the branches. It went in the closet after a few weeks of veg.

RetroGrow

Veteran
BTW, I recently bought Jorge Cervantes book; Marijuana Grow Basics
I am hoping to have a grow room built this next month, if I can afford it.
Then I can have a proper ventilation system.
If I make the room 8 x 4 x 8, would my two 400 HPS be enough or should I make the room smaller?
I am only growing for myself and want to remain under my states legal limit of 2.5 usable, 12 plants max.

After all this time, I am really disappointed !
I've tried researching all the info on growing but, most times I'm not able to duplicate the advice due to finances and my remote location.

Two 400s are not enough to fill that room. Just use half of it and you will be good.
Recommend buying premium seeds, a strain like AK47, which is very stable and the plants tend to be uniform. Very strong. Easy to grow. Grow out half a dozen, short veg (3 weeks, max), pick the best to make clones from. You can reveg the best plant after the fact, and make clones from there.
Do not veg your plants so long. Your plant is too tall right now, because you vegged it too long. Hard for 400 watts to penetrate that far down. You want your plants to be about 3 feet tall-they will be mostly tops, and not as much stem as you have on a tall plant, and the light can cover it more efficiently. More light means larger, tighter buds. Make sure your flower room is light tight.
With known genetics, such as AK47, you will know exactly when it finishes, so no guess work as to when it might finish.

Bumble Buddy

Yeah what FB said, its probably just the strain, I'm almost certain you weren't "punk'd", some plants just take longer to flower and sometimes they are just a genetic dud. Also, maybe the nutes you are using has nitrogen in it? The flowering plants should be weaned off the N.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Yeah what FB said, its probably just the strain, I'm almost certain you weren't "punk'd", some plants just take longer to flower and sometimes they are just a genetic dud. Also, maybe the nutes you are using has nitrogen in it? The flowering plants should be weaned off the N.

When she began showing flowers, I bought some straight P.
I crush it up and soak it overnight, then swirl it around and siphon off the water into a quart pop bottle. I then add a tablespoon of molasses and mix it up.
I also added some micronutrients by doing the same, crushing the nodules and soaking that overnight. The only Nitrogen might come from the micronutrients.

I live a long way from everything and unless I order over the internet, I'm unable to buy those name-brand nutes I see everywhere.

During the veg stage I use some Miracle Grow 24-8-16

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Two 400s are not enough to fill that room. Just use half of it and you will be good.
Recommend buying premium seeds, a strain like AK47, which is very stable and the plants tend to be uniform. Very strong. Easy to grow. Grow out half a dozen, short veg (3 weeks, max), pick the best to make clones from. You can reveg the best plant after the fact, and make clones from there.
Do not veg your plants so long. Your plant is too tall right now, because you vegged it too long. Hard for 400 watts to penetrate that far down. You want your plants to be about 3 feet tall-they will be mostly tops, and not as much stem as you have on a tall plant, and the light can cover it more efficiently. More light means larger, tighter buds. Make sure your flower room is light tight.
With known genetics, such as AK47, you will know exactly when it finishes, so no guess work as to when it might finish.

So, having two 400 HPS I should only have a 4x4 space?
Would it be better to make two separate spaces, each 4x4 with only one light?
I don't need to have a huge harvest, only enough to last between each harvest.
I haven't built any room yet so, maybe making two separate closets would be better for me?
Now, in that space, how many plants should I have MAX?

I sure am glad I logged in here today. It's been since 2005 when I registered ;>}
I have been on other sites and everybody there said I was doing great.

As for letting this plant veg too long, I only had CFL's and was about to buy these lights so I let her stay in the veg stage until I was able to buy my first light.
These next plants I'm hoping to get in to flowering pretty soon.
They are about 10-12 inches tall. The Nepali has begun showing staggered branches but the Mazar is still showing the stems growing opposite each other.
Here are two pics of the new strains.

Attachments

• One month old Afghani Indica.jpg
    One month old Afghani Indica.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 9
  • One month old Nepalese Sativa.jpg
    One month old Nepalese Sativa.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 10

Owl Mirror

Veteran
no it was probably the fact that you leave your closet door open to let hot air out.

It is only open while the lights are on.
I'm home all day & night so I open the door when I wake and close it just before the lights go off for the night. I realize that I'm wasting light this way but, I don't have an alternative right now.

I will say, there have been days that I didn't wake up at the same time and therefore the door was closed with the lights on for an hour or more.
Would this heat build up cause this problem?

lordbudly

Veteran
no, that can't have that sort of affect
wow way to spout of misinformation, plenty of people had problems from that EXACT thing
Thanks, I was worried !

I just can't believe I've wasted all this time and cost to end up with crap.
I'm so tired of these opiates and was hoping I could stop taking them once I had a good harvest.
Looks like I keep taking them until I can sort this out.

owl if you can go into your grow room during a lights on period and turn em off with the door shut, is it pitch dark? the lights off for a minute to check for leaks wont hurt them at all, it be like a big cloud passing over or something :joint:

G

Greyskull

dude, not trying to rain on your parade but you need way better genetics.
if i were you, thats what i would be thinking.
and dialing in the environment. or controlling it at least...

the plant is healthy. you have done a good job keeping it 'fit', so to speak.
its topped and pruned... its just leafy and a little airy looking.

how far away are your lights form the top of the plant? are you sure its only in the 70s?
too much heat will cause buds to 'run' and not tighten up and get bulky and beautiful...
you need to have a hygrometer at the plant level under the lighting - proper environment is paramount to sucess.

get a timer for the lights.... its cheap and will make things way simpler for you.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I had a tiny light leak that was nearly impossible to detect, but it was enough to hermie my plants and stunt the whole grow for another month. I agree with those saying it's probably a light leak.

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a shame, if you are trying to supply yourself with medicine this is the last thing you need, i hope your Nepalese and Afghani fair better, they look very healthy.
I would build the room as you first suggested, yes!, it is too large for 2 x 400W's, but you'll have the space if you decide to get bigger light's and it will be easier to keep cool and dry meanwhile.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
wow way to spout of misinformation, plenty of people had problems from that EXACT thing

owl if you can go into your grow room during a lights on period and turn em off with the door shut, is it pitch dark? the lights off for a minute to check for leaks wont hurt them at all, it be like a big cloud passing over or something :joint:

OK, there is a little around the frame of the door where I can see light but, I nailed some 1 x 1/2 " boards all the way around the frame so no direct light could get inside. It's not airtight but, the best I can do in a rental closet.

I put a piece of duct tape over that red light on the power strip but, I fear it's too late to help this time around.

I just can't imagine how that tiny bit would ruin this plant.

Will it get any better as time goes on or should I quit wasting energy on trying to get this to harvest?

you already spent so much time on her. let her go a little longer and see if she can finish any stronger. i have two tiny plants in the corner of my grow room that are 1 single cola plant that has been destoyed since birth (nute burn, overwatering, compressed soil etc). I took no more care of it and left it in the corner of the room as i bloomed out other plants and i ended up with like a half oz to my head of a plant that would of otherwise been thrown out. i did little work but it was worth every day of it.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
dude, not trying to rain on your parade but you need way better genetics.
if i were you, thats what i would be thinking.
and dialing in the environment. or controlling it at least...

the plant is healthy. you have done a good job keeping it 'fit', so to speak.
its topped and pruned... its just leafy and a little airy looking.

how far away are your lights form the top of the plant? are you sure its only in the 70s?
too much heat will cause buds to 'run' and not tighten up and get bulky and beautiful...
you need to have a hygrometer at the plant level under the lighting - proper environment is paramount to sucess.

get a timer for the lights.... its cheap and will make things way simpler for you.

Will this work?
Caliber III Digital Thermometer Hygrometer

I have a timer for the lights

The plant grew too tall and I have the lights as high as I can get them.
The plants highest buds are within a foot of the light now and a few of the top leaves have been burnt. I tried to tie it down with string but, the stem split. I had to duct tape it back together, it healed but, I dare not try that again.

One more bit of info, the plant never really had any smell to it.
Within the last week I can definitely smell the plant when I first open the door. After the fan has been running for a while I don't smell her as much.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
you already spent so much time on her. let her go a little longer and see if she can finish any stronger. i have two tiny plants in the corner of my grow room that are 1 single cola plant that has been destoyed since birth (nute burn, overwatering, compressed soil etc). I took no more care of it and left it in the corner of the room as i bloomed out other plants and i ended up with like a half oz to my head of a plant that would of otherwise been thrown out. i did little work but it was worth every day of it.

Would it help any to remove the tall buds that are leafy?
The buds that are lower are not as leafy, maybe they would finish up better ?
At this point I don't know what to do.
I've wasted so much time and money and am not getting anything in return.

So, having two 400 HPS I should only have a 4x4 space?
Would it be better to make two separate spaces, each 4x4 with only one light?
I don't need to have a huge harvest, only enough to last between each harvest.
I haven't built any room yet so, maybe making two separate closets would be better for me?
Now, in that space, how many plants should I have MAX?

Hey man sorry to hear of your troubles, personally id let the plant finish, It might get you high when smoked but if not you can make food with it with will help you out on the medication side.

As for the new room id make a thread in grow room design and equipment, You will get allot of help in there, If you have the time id look in to perpetual harvest, you will harvest more regularly thus having meds constantly and not having to wait 3 months+ per harvest