What's new

Where should I move to in the US?

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
Sometimes I think this weed growing this isn't for me, that I shouldn't risk a felony, and I should go to get a straight job. Then I think "who are you kidding, you'd commit suicide within a month at a real job." I'm an academic superstar but have zero desire to go to grad school and become a professor. The only thing I've ever felt real joy from is the harvest of my plants. Yet, if that plan were to go sour, that's it's. Game over. You've got a felony. Right when you get out of prison you have to grow again, because no one else will hire you.

Life is hard as fuck.

false

life is only as complicated as you make it.

if you have a passion for growing, no cubicle job is ever gonna suffice. Do what you have to do to make sure you wake up with a smile on your face every day.

G

grasspass

I'm med in Oregon. As far as I can tell, Oregon is good for a med patient growing his own, but not good for making a lot of money on weed . If I personally wanted to sell weed , I would move back to the mid west where houses have basements and I knew people that would buy it. If you move anywhere , if it were me, it would be to a place that I knew trusted people. That would be at the top of my list.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I lived in Oregon s well and it was great for personal usage but there is no market for Dispensary's there illegal in Oregon. You can have co-ops but I think 5 is the max # of people you can take care of as a caregiver. I did like it though no one bothered me no check ups nothing. I dont know how to move to a place that you are not familiar with and be able to trust anyone. Moving anywhere can be very stressful. When I first moved to Oregon I knew no one but I worked for a company that had 10,000 people on that campus INTEL. After I met some people it was so much better most did not smoke but I met enough to keep me out of trouble and was able to afford some nice things. I would move back there you just need to be ready for bad weather most of the time

ronbo51

Veteran
Maine is definately one of the top contenders. It is beautiful beyond description. Portland is one of the great small cities in America. Hip, great food, live music, arts. The coast is postcard charming and the mountains are nice too. Great skiing and outdoor stuff year round. Land and housing is cheap and widely available. Access to Boston and all the college students with money to blow on high grade weed. Maine is about to go full blown medical. The laws are already as lax as it gets. If I was going to grow big I would move to Maine tomorrow.

ambition

From what I have seen, Maine, like Oregon, provides an almost zero chance of getting a job for a young person just starting out. And I think I'd need 4 wheel drive to live there, or is that a myth? Finally, I have heard that the cost of heating is incredibly high in Maine, counter-acting the low rent and real estate prices.

I don't speak authoritatively about any of this. Just what I heard. I bump this thread regularly and truly appreciate all the suggestions.

Ever consider Washington State? The PNW is an incredibly beautiful place to live and we have MMJ. 15 plants in any stage of growth and up to 24 ounces for personal possession, plus you can provide for one other patient. That means up to 30 plants and up to three lbs of dried product. :)

I'm in eastern WA and I love it here, though the winters can be rough.

Last edited:

CaptainTrips

That's why working towards legalization is very important. It does not matter how many small step we take as long as we are moving in the right direction.

Except legalization will take all the risk, and most of the money out of it for a "regular" person. Certainly won't be making any money on a small scale operation.

supermanlives

Veteran
maine was very resonably priced and the market is wide open. also very cool as temperature there is cold alot. if your growing commercially you wont have to worry about heat LOL and you can ditch the ac for 8 months out of the year.i like bangor and north away from the coast . but a young guy would do just fine near portland. god i miss maine

robbiedublu

Oregon.

Cannabis was just re-scheduled from 1 to 2. (This means that it is recognized as 'some medicinal value') First and only state to do this so far.

A long standing NORML program (1977), with a ton of support and qualified Lawyers if u need them.

While the jobs are scarce, the cost of living is a pittance compared to ANYWHERE else.

The amount of real food (farm raised, and available in your area) is amazing!

NO Sales Tax! The alchohol and cigs (If that's your thing) are crazy expensive however.

We have every Geographic nook and cranny you could ever want. Oregon is the most amazing 2 or 3 day camping road trip state in the Union. The Rivers, underground lava caves, Endless lakes (specialty lakes as well, like crater Lake or clear lake), the west coast beaches, Cascade mountain range, I could go on forever...)

A ton of current investment into green power options, Wind turbine fields in Eastern Oregon, Massive Solar panel fields as well.

No annoying sports teams for pointless fanaticism. Get your sports off the tube, and leave it at that.

Good Dispenso's where the cannabis is FREE for card holders. ($25 yearly fee, $5 a visit, stay as long as you want)

Great Indoor AND Outdoor selections.

GL luck choosing. I've lived in Flagstaff AZ. , Austin TX., Mendo & Humbl., Boston, VT., North Caro., Berkshires MA., Pocono/Blakesly PA., Fla.

Choose wisely.

Peace

Oregon is nice but not a good place to move to and grow. Everyone and his brother grows here and even the best weed is way cheap compared to CA. As far as the dispensaries you're correct. What you don't mention though is that there are 2 of them in Portland (none anywhere else as far as I know) and they're pretty small. Any weed you get there you have to smoke there. Of course you have to be a cardholder also. They're more just a social place for cardholders than a CA style dispensary where you can go and buy weed.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Except legalization will take all the risk, and most of the money out of it for a "regular" person. Certainly won't be making any money on a small scale operation.

Im not sure I understand your comment(I already know some greedy people that want to keep it Illegal) those that dont want it legalized are in it for money only and are not here to help the cannabis movement. I wont have any issue making money if my product is top quality but thats not why I'm here cannabis should be available to anybody for any reason. Cannabis is cheap to grow. The issue is getting top quality consistently. I dont need to sale 50 1/8 to make a profit. You should be able to sale it for no more then 8$ per gram let me rephrase I will be offering it for that price. Im going to be growing anyway so I only need a few lbs for myself anything else can be sold,traded gifted. If you are moving to make a living off of cannabis you need to go where there just getting started like NY make sure yo understand the laws of that state very well.

Burt

Veteran
who cares about making money-you can legally have a 25 square foot canopy!
thats worth moving to cali for and getting a really decent/affordable education to boot

F

FreshGenetics

who cares about making money-you can legally have a 25 square foot canopy!
thats worth moving to cali for and getting a really decent/affordable education to boot

He ain't jokin' neither.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
This is a tough choice. Coming to Cali is an option, but as someone already said, 10k is nothing out here. You mentioned you don't have a job. You'll be hard pressed to get a decent place to rent without a job in California.

Although there are exceptions, most landlords will not take a full year's rent upfront in California. No job = no place to rent = no place to grow.

If it were me and I had to make a decision, I would probably choose NC just because it's cheaper and you can still grow, just not as openly as you might in Cali. The NC market might be more receptive to what you grow since it's not as saturated as the California market. You will be able to make more money from growing out there than you will in California, I would think. This should be considered as well.

I think it all depends on what you really want. Cheap living and the ability to grow some herb (NC) or expensive as hell, no jobs, and growing with little worry about going to jail for it (CA). The choice is yours.

I think the job prospects out in NC might be a bit better than California, but I could be wrong. Psych BA ain't worth much in Cali. If you had a PhD, then you'd have more options.

ambition

Excellent stuff. Great points all around. Thanks guys.

I'm leaning towards staying in the Midwest or North Carolina at this point. I just don't think I could make it in California financially. I don't think it's even a realistic option to consider. 1000 dollar a month places for studio apartments, etc. insane.

F

FreshGenetics

Going to jail for growing medicine is insane.

Being paranoid all the time is insane.

Bypassing the dizank is insane.

InSanity is all relative!

ambition

All true points. But if I have 10K, to provide myself a 3 month window to find a job and start earning something, I can't go over 7-800 a month for rent, and even that is pushing it. Just can't. And in California, IMO, the only place worth living in the beach. I just did a craigslist search of my favorite lil spot in california, Ocean Beach. 1k a month for a studio in a non-ghetto neighborhood.

I just can't afford that.

mk6

All true points. But if I have 10K, to provide myself a 3 month window to find a job and start earning something, I can't go over 7-800 a month for rent, and even that is pushing it. Just can't. And in California, IMO, the only place worth living in the beach. I just did a craigslist search of my favorite lil spot in california, Ocean Beach. 1k a month for a studio in a non-ghetto neighborhood.

I just can't afford that.

ocean beach as in san diego? A great place but....
if thats your pick better be perpared for pm, over-cast and damp
an rent, OMG! check out the east county, your only 20 mins to the beach - fallbrook is a real pot freindly near-by place where you can rent a house w/land and drive to the beach if you like...

best of luck, but my pic is not cali, its over/done there... they just dont know it yet - wait one year an see (fuck prop 19)