What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What State Should I Move To

Mukind

Maine! Come on home bro. We have a HUGE network of cannabis cultivation enthusiast and professionals. Also top notch genetics and strains found nowhere else.

I just don't have much to offer to a network (or anyone in the industry) at the moment but money and connections in Illinois. And I'm not really confident enough to make an investment with some one else considering how ignorant I am.

Combine that with Maines willingness to still lock up pot growers/smokers. I can't do it, there is no space to really learn

5 years for 5 grams of hash....

Maybe when I can come on here and say I've grown some of the finest herb I've smoked. But I definitely can't say that now.
I've been watching Dark Shadows on and off for a while now. It would be a novelty to live just outside Bangor or something.

igrowone

Veteran
While I agree with your statement, the risks are very low and the rewards are at worst half of the alternatives. You're underselling it a bit

So you're facing maybe 1/10th the risk from a criminal law perspective. But receiving half the profit at absolute worst.

And that's assuming your alternatives have reasonable laws and a less competitive market. Oregon seems to be about as competitive as cali, while having a much larger risk profile if you're working in teh grey.

Just relieving the stress of felonies having over your head will extend your life and reduce medical bills...Unless you're one of those few blessed souls who can live life without a care until it fucks them. That alone is worth so much

that is a well reasoned response, i have no dog in this fight
from what i've seen with new growers that try to do california growing
the odds are not good, at least from the posts i've seen from well respected members here and elsewhere
the ones that seem to make it are those who get some connects(in cali) before going

Mukind

that is a well reasoned response, i have no dog in this fight
from what i've seen with new growers that try to do california growing
the odds are not good, at least from the posts i've seen from well respected members here and elsewhere
the ones that seem to make it are those who get some connects(in cali) before going

The ones who do it well don't have the liberty to tell you about it...

It's obvious the advantage an out of stater has...His connections back home.

For me doing well will have nothing to do with Californian growers really. It would be nice to network. But success isn't going to happen if you rely on people you don't even know yet

You can grow 4 plants at home in washington without being registered, if you get a new medical card and you choose to grow up to 15 plants in Washington you open your self for losing your 4th amendment rights, the state can come to your home and check what you grow. I say Fuck that. Its none of their business. Ill grow what I want.

matt11

Combine that with Maines willingness to still lock up pot growers/smokers. I can't do it, there is no space to really learn

5 years for 5 grams of hash....

Maine is actually really against locking people up for marijuana type offensives. 5 years for 5 grams of hash...what? Here in Maine? Now that's crazy weird., maybe probably in some small hick town with a backwards police officer with a vendetta, but if that shit did happen it will never hold up in court at the end of the day.

I personally got pulled over like a month ago with around a 20g slab of shatter (along with some flowers) in plain view of the officer and I told him I had it. and the state police dident even want to see my MMJ card when I went to pull it out. Mostly cause it's legal for rec. use now. He Just let me go on my way. Maine doesn't care about wasting tax payers money dragging people through court on cannabis related cases. UNLESS it's excessive trafficking, and excessive cultivation.

p0opstlnksal0t

Honestly I'm looking into Maine pretty heavily too. I could still find work as a pipeline mechanical engineer there. Ya it won't pay as good as houston but I could build a greenhouse on some property and grow year round.... maybe go the caregiver route and hold onto 5 mmj cards to up my plant count

matt11

Maine is an awesome place to live, especially for people in the medical marijuana field. Sure the salary is not going to be as high as let's say Houston and Texas as a whole, but the cost of living is way less, so it equals out I guess.

I moved here about 13 years ago from La. and I'll probably never leave.

Additionally, pretty soon (hopefully very soon)when Maine gives the OK for accepting commercial cultivation licenses, you'll be able to grow by the crops canopy square footage. As opposed to rounding up patients in order to grow cannabis at a greater amount.
I am a caregiver to a few patients, but honestly I never follow the guidelines for plants in bloom per patient. I grow how many I want and how many my rooms will allow me to. But outdoors is another story, if someone like noisy neighbors were to call the authorities on you and they come out if they wanted to they can order the removal and destruction of the access plants.

Easy7

Veteran
I would avoid a 3 strike law state like Cali or Colorado, if you have a strike or two and/or other interests/hobbies.

I've seen a guy get a felony for armed robbery. He had a pocket knife in his pocket and stole a rice crispy treat that he thought the cashier said he could have. Lot's of people get life for the tiniest of things in 3 strike states.

Mukind

Maine is actually really against locking people up for marijuana type offensives. 5 years for 5 grams of hash...what? Here in Maine? Now that's crazy weird., maybe probably in some small hick town with a backwards police officer with a vendetta, but if that shit did happen it will never hold up in court at the end of the day.

I personally got pulled over like a month ago with around a 20g slab of shatter (along with some flowers) in plain view of the officer and I told him I had it. and the state police dident even want to see my MMJ card when I went to pull it out. Mostly cause it's legal for rec. use now. He Just let me go on my way. Maine doesn't care about wasting tax payers money dragging people through court on cannabis related cases. UNLESS it's excessive trafficking, and excessive cultivation.

I'm not sure if I had misread it or clicked on the wrong state, you're right.

http://norml.org/laws/item/maine-penalties-2

1 year for more than 5g. 5 years for "trafficking" hash.

I've lived in rural America a very long time. Rules are the rules, you don't want to meet a judge in the middle of no where with 5 years hanging over your head. Unless you have a good defense you're going to eat some of those years.

Betting a pig is going to let me off being brown is a fantasy, especially in a rural area

Mukind

I would avoid a 3 strike law state like Cali or Colorado, if you have a strike or two and/or other interests/hobbies.

I've seen a guy get a felony for armed robbery. He had a pocket knife in his pocket and stole a rice crispy treat that he thought the cashier said he could have. Lot's of people get life for the tiniest of things in 3 strike states.

That's definitely something ot consider.

My understanding of the three strike law is you have to be convicted of a felony for it to start ticking.

So I should be good unless they charge and convict me of something serious.

That being said anyone who does have previous felonies should probably be cautious....Very good point

Your risk profile is not 1/10th if you're facing life, other states are probably better options.

Bob Green

Dude if you have remotely recent felonies for trafficking you will not get a business license for cannabis. If it was a major trafficking or violent offense you might of permanently blown your chance.

Three strikes is just that three convictions but people in places like Louisiana get those charges and sentences for tiny ass amounts. But to think you are getting life for following regulations in a state legal environment for one charge is a bit naive. It does not sound like you have the intention to break regulations so you should be good.

I would take into consideration what kind of business you want to start and then look into how all the bills are written and see what place fits you most. What's your niche? How much are you able or willing to invest? Do you understand how to market your products? Are you good at sales?

Anybody afraid of Colorado or Cali LEO busting your legit business needs to stay on the sidelines. Being nervous to go there out of other considerations like expenses and over saturation are more your concern. But harsh laws there?

Maybe it would be a decent idea to wait at least six months to a year just to see what the political situation is looking like.

Mukind

Dude if you have remotely recent felonies for trafficking you will not get a business license for cannabis. If it was a major trafficking or violent offense you might of permanently blown your chance.

Three strikes is just that three convictions but people in places like Louisiana get those charges and sentences for tiny ass amounts. But to think you are getting life for following regulations in a state legal environment for one charge is a bit naive. It does not sound like you have the intention to break regulations so you should be good.

I would take into consideration what kind of business you want to start and then look into how all the bills are written and see what place fits you most. What's your niche? How much are you able or willing to invest? Do you understand how to market your products? Are you good at sales?

Anybody afraid of Colorado or Cali LEO busting your legit business needs to stay on the sidelines. Being nervous to go there out of other considerations like expenses and over saturation are more your concern. But harsh laws there?

Maybe it would be a decent idea to wait at least six months to a year just to see what the political situation is looking like.

Cannabis growers have worked in the black market for your and my whole life.

I don't know what you're talking about here...It's nonsensical, it's not all going to go above board in a decade much less next year.

In a legit business I would have to be very good. And it would require a lot of capital.

I have neither skill nor capital....I feel like you haven't read my responses. Maybe you're responding about others?

But law would should still be your number 1 concern if you have any sense. You're committing federal crimes and trying to move money around. It's not a good idea to be a big target. I don't see how lowering your risk from state punishments would be a bad idea. Only takes one amped up prosecutor to fuck up your life

Bob Green

Cannabis growers have worked in the black market for your and my whole life.

I don't know what you're talking about here...It's nonsensical, it's not all going to go above board in a decade much less next year.

In a legit business I would have to be very good. And it would require a lot of capital.

I have neither skill nor capital....I feel like you haven't read my responses. Maybe you're responding about others?

But law would should still be your number 1 concern if you have any sense. You're committing federal crimes and trying to move money around. It's not a good idea to be a big target. I don't see how lowering your risk from state punishments would be a bad idea. Only takes one amped up prosecutor to fuck up your life

Yup misunderstood sorry about that. I thought you wanted to get involved with the business side of the legal market. For a dude just learning how to do a tiny hobby grow you would be fine in any of the legal states that allow home grows.

Feds will be after big growers moving products across state lines not people making their own supply. Small grows rarely fall under federal law even before any type of legalization was in place.

I don't think anything will be fully on board in the next year. What I meant is with all the ongoing chaos it might take a huge step backwards not forward. If in a years time they are not actively going after shops and small growers by then you should be good.

Green Squall

How about western Massachusetts? Very sparsely populated compared to the eastern half. I live on the coast and have considered moving to the Berkshire region.

You should know that our legislators suck and they are doing all they can to mess with the new rec laws. Right now they are working on reducing plant counts.

Mukind

Yup misunderstood sorry about that. I thought you wanted to get involved with the business side of the legal market. For a dude just learning how to do a tiny hobby grow you would be fine in any of the legal states that allow home grows.

Feds will be after big growers moving products across state lines not people making their own supply. Small grows rarely fall under federal law even before any type of legalization was in place.

I don't think anything will be fully on board in the next year. What I meant is with all the ongoing chaos it might take a huge step backwards not forward. If in a years time they are not actively going after shops and small growers by then you should be good.

Well I totally agree with your assessment.

It's not really clear what Sessions and the DEA will do under trump but considering the shit storm they've stirred up I doubt they're going to want to fight liberals over pot and states rights.

I'm just saying for probably the vast majority of people out of state 100% legit isn't an option. Getting in the grey is possible, but totally aboveboard?

Probably not many of us unless you're lucky enough to join a crew/business that earns

Mukind

How about western Massachusetts? Very sparsely populated compared to the eastern half. I live on the coast and have considered moving to the Berkshire region.

You should know that our legislators suck and they are doing all they can to mess with the new rec laws. Right now they are working on reducing plant counts.

I heard about something where people opened up some million square foot warehouse and are going to rent out space?

Handle security and utilities for your grow

Very interesting, here it is

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2016/12/21/mass-will-be-home-to-americas-largest-medical.html

I have some worries about having some lazy idiots grow right next to mine...But I like that they seem to have got permission from the city/county. Bodes well for the industry in Mass.

Maybe in the future

The laws are not bad even if you're growing illegal, only 3.5 year mandatory minimum under 10 thousand pounds lol. I think I can stay beneath that. And getting caught with 50 lbs flower no minimum sentence.

The cultivation laws are odd though, the chart isn't telling the whole story. Maybe they weigh whole plants together? No recorded penalties for cultivation. Only possession and distribution, maybe it's not been updated yet.

I haven't looked into it, probably no case law to know how a judge would interpret it anyway.

http://norml.org/laws/item/massachusetts-penalties-2

Only scary part is that 15 year thing, but I can't imagine that's really happening in Mass unless you're growing and selling weight in front of a school to 3rd graders.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What you state about CO is totally false.
CO is a pretty liberal state with the exception of a few small very conservative communities.

The advantage CO has over every single state that's legalized, is the fact that we passed an Amendment to our States Constitution then, in the last election cycle, made it even more difficult to change the Constitution.
This alone gives CO a huge advantage over other States.
Simple legislation, such as Citizen initiatives, Statutes & Regulations are severely disadvantaged because a politician can reverse the rule with a flick of a pen. Florida, I think, is the only other State to put a Constitutional Amendment in place to protect it's Citizens.

aaah Alaska is one of the 50 states. It was legal to grow and posess in your home for 30 some years here before CO did it, all because of our state constitution which was backed up by the state supreme court..:biggrin:
I have no idea why anyone would want MORE people moving to your state. I'm glad you crossed Alaska off your list right away. Don't come here unless it's to vacation and bring plenty of cash to leave behind:tiphat:

packerfan79

Veteran
Come on 40 years, Alaska is a huge place one more grower isn't going to hurt nothing. Alaska is at the top of the list for me.

ubi

what state should you move to

what state should you move to

AK- seems pretty legit. at home manufacture license. but the concentrate law of nothing over 75%thc ... what??

WA- nah its washington to wet n cold. too pricey to get in the legit game

Cali- always a cool place but alot competition as said earlier. depending on county laws and fees. still not too expensive to get in.

OR- I wish i would have moved there about 3-4 years ago. i know dudes who got in real cheap. 5k for a manufacture license. awesomeness!!!! still giving out so i heard. lots of competition something like 700 manufacture licenses or more in total med and rec.
almost as many as CO.

ME- looks like it could be a winner. crazy northeastern weather tho

Mass- same as ME. for my well being.

Tennessee- its the south come on, no way!!! im a southerner, i know those type way too well. "we gunna havta turn ya in boy, its federally illegal too."

Florida- ohhh FLORIDA....... being a med patient you CANT EVEN GROW YOUR OWN MEDS AND CAREGIVERS WATCH THE F#CK OUT. had way too many boys go down in that state. Talk about john wayne's

CO- its ok . mostly counties r cool. no more than 12 in denver county tho per house no matter what. ( heard state is tryin to make that for the whole state for residential) just depends on county. ag property will still have 36 allowed . so not bad. docs r still giving 99 counts if you have epilepsy or cancer. somthing really bad. you cant get over 50 for a bad back injury for pain managemnt.

Just my 2cents