What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

shithawk420

Veteran
Made a wagyu strip steak and lobster
20240107_155744.jpg
20240107_160150.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a tuna salad sandwich for breakfast. :( Christmas hurt, and it's 5 days until payday...:eek: went and put cat food on the magic plastic, then the cat turned her nose up and walked away. :mad: she'll be back when she's actually hungry. ;)

shithawk420

Veteran
damn, burnt ends! at least i know what they look like now. never seen them on a menu at a BBQ joint here...:(
they were really tender.little too sweet but good. Arent you in TN? Should be some good bbq places there.Theres a few bbq places here but ive only been to Famous Daves so far.Honestly not the greatest but i get coupons on the app.got a free birtday dessert coupon.gonna get a slice of pecan pie

shithawk420

Veteran
thats too bad cause they were good.you know how a nice piece of ribeye fat is tender?it was almost that tender but it wasnt fat.i had to look and make sure it wasnt fat.not that i dont like good fat.if it isnt chewy ill eat it

moose eater

Uncured, organic, hardwood smoked kielbasa... cold.... in the car... like a fucking caveman.

Followed by homemade beef and bean burritos, with 93% lean ground beef, organic refried beans, sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers, sweet onions, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic, garlic, garlic, white pepper, black pepper, sea salt, ... and sharp cheddar cheese... on keto tortillas.

And then who-knows-what, after the hunger pangs quiet down a bit.

Costco is again stocking the 4-packs of Freemont Brewing's Seasonal Imperial Winter Ale at 8% abv (one of the best beers I ever drank), so I scored 2 of their 4-packs of 16-oz. cans for $8.99 each, and once I was on the back roads, almost home, cracked one. Haven't had them since last winter, and MAAAAANNNNNGGG!!! What a treat.

Now for the homemade burritos and a joint of the original Arjan's (Greenhouse Seeds) Super Lemon Haze.

This is shaping up to be a relatively unproductive evening... I think... but with a full belly and a laid-back attitude.

moose eater

Stove-top crawfish etouffee (last 1-lb. package of Louisiana combined wild-caught and farmed crawfish tails that my daughter brought me last year; she's going back to Louisiana for Mardi Gras in a week or so, and bringing more treats back, so it was time to consume last year's crawfish form the freezer). Made with chopped celery, chopped sweet onions, chopped green bell pepper, chopped red sweet bell pepper, micro-chopped jalapeno pepper, coarse dried thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, sea salt, fresh minced garlic, fish sauce, tomato sauce, diced organic tomatoes, parsley, chopped green onions, (I think that was all of it) and served over small servings of wild (black) rice from Northern Minnesota Native American lands. (*we had no brown rice and I prefer wild rice in a pinch).

(*I wanted to add some real chicken base to the water for the wild rice, but my wife vetoed the idea... Next time...).

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Stove-top crawfish etouffee (last 1-lb. package of Louisiana combined wild-caught and farmed crawfish tails that my daughter brought me last year; she's going back to Louisiana for Mardi Gras in a week or so, and bringing more treats back, so it was time to consume last year's crawfish form the freezer). Made with chopped celery, chopped sweet onions, chopped green bell pepper, chopped red sweet bell pepper, micro-chopped jalapeno pepper, coarse dried thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, sea salt, fresh minced garlic, fish sauce, tomato sauce, diced organic tomatoes, parsley, chopped green onions, (I think that was all of it) and served over small servings of wild (black) rice from Northern Minnesota Native American lands. (*we had no brown rice and I prefer wild rice in a pinch).

(*I wanted to add some real chicken base to the water for the wild rice, but my wife vetoed the idea... Next time...).
well fancy that. Do you eat gourmet food everyday? Im miring but thats gotta get expensive> specially in Alaska. I make gourmet meals like 4 times a month.i would kill to see your pantry. you got a root cellar too?

moose eater

well fancy that. Do you eat gourmet food everyday? Im miring but thats gotta get expensive> specially in Alaska. I make gourmet meals like 4 times a month.i would kill to see your pantry. you got a root cellar too?
My daughter was the source of the craw fish, as she owns a home in Louisiana, though she's back working and living in Alaska now, and the rest is just fresh veggies and some canned goods, though the wild rice was hanging out in the cupboard from last year's duck experiments. (*I've been a huge fan of wild rice stuffing with chopped water chestnuts and giblets and/or fresh chopped oysters since I was tiny).

But various health issues and our location led us to make nearly all of our food from scratch even more so than we already did decades ago, whether sauces or main courses. I found we could eat many things some might not think are healthy, simply by modifying, etc.

30 years ago my wife was even making homemade mayonnaise. We make our own shrimp cocktail sauce and tartar sauce, pasta sauces, pizza sauces, pesto, and this year, homemade raspberry and chokecherry wines of fairly significant potency.

It's actually often much less expensive to make deluxe homemade dishes than to buy processed ready-made foods in the stores, let alone take-out. Just takes time and information/knowledge.

Admittedly, with things like Cajun or Creole foods, homemade (or any) really good tamales, etc., it's similar to my early-80's cocaine days; I can do some damage to myself with excesses in short order. And wild rice (as well as brown rice) carries far more carbohydrates than many might think.

We buy many items in quasi-wholesale lots. Such as pecans; a super food or super nut. Low in carbs, etc., but high in good stuff. My wife, this last year, took what was already a fairly healthy series of diabetic-friendly rich New York style cheesecake recipes, and began making their crusts with finely ground walnuts and pecans pressed with butter and baked. We've since used that with a no-sugar pecan pie that was in-fucking-credible. And though I loved pecan pie years ago, I hadn't eaten any in decades... until this winter.

We took keto (very low carb) healthy bread(s) and dried them, then ground them up for our own breadcrumbs, adding a minor amount of ground pecans, and for the first time in years, I could make fresh fish deep-fried fish fillets on a keto bun with homemade tartar sauce, lettuce and sweet onion slices. Again, it had been something I couldn't eat for years, but I figured out a way to make it such that it was both healthy and tasty, without posing a detraction or threat to my health.

Healthy store-bought Keto breads are one of the most expensive things we buy these days, per lb.

I love to eat, hawk. And used to enjoy cooking before life sort of hamstrung much of my motivation and energy. And if you're going to invest time in cooking and eating, make it good shit. Only makes sense.

But seriously, if you look at costs of buying ready-made foods in the grocery stores, versus making stuff from scratch, you can not only save some money, but eat FAR healthier foods, too.

Edit: 25 years ago, I'd meant to build a heavily reinforced underground post and beam root cellar with an air block entryway and 60-mil rubber roofing on top and all sides, open on the downhill south side, with step-down foundation and gravel floor, with shelves all around, with the interior dimensions of about 12' by 10' or so, maybe a bit larger, but never got to it. nor did I build my wife her sauna back then, which she more than deserves and has earned. And now my energy and ability is crimped rather heavily- projects for the next owner, maybe.

Last edited:

moose eater

Pro health tip: Boiling your brown or wild rice in 1 cup rice to 4 cups of water) for 5 minutes, then discarding the water and beginning again with clean or fresh water will remove most or all of the naturally occurring arsenic in those varieties of rice.

Cool, eh?

And now for a later-morning break with the remaining roach from last night's Ghost Train Haze #1. Because "a day without (haze) is like a day without sunshine..." (*A bastardization of the ol' Anita Bryant orange juice claims)