What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

moose eater

Oh wow no.i love halibut but I never heard it compared to pork.id love to try it if it's that good.halibut is probably my favorite fish.i love tuna though.yellow fin sashimi is hard to beat.i love almost any fresh fish
Not that halibut is like pork in any way, but that halibut cheeks have a somewhat different texture than halibut fillets, just as pork jowls have a different texture than most pork meat or side-bacon.

Both tend to be a bit more fibrous than the more common cuts from either item.

The tastes are still very unique from each other; halibut compared to pork, that is. They taste nothing like each other.

But pork jowls tolerate the grinding (without turning into a paste when the mix warms during the grinding process) and is, in my opinion, much better than pork suet in that regard alone, also providing a very nice flavor to sausage.

Give it a try, if you're making ground meat of nearly any sort, and need/want to increase the fat content.

We've also added pork jowl bacon to ground angus beef burger, and MANG!!! PHENOMENAL!!!!

shithawk420

Veteran
I probably have access to pork but I can't imagine getting halibut heads.i know a guy that goes ice fishing and get smelt I think but halibut is way harder to get.id love to fish for halibut.i might have to eat halibut soon.you got a suggestion moose? My uncle gets it Cajun for some reason.i like lemon and a little salt if it's quality.

moose eater

No, don't combine them in the same dish (halibut and pork jowls); though I've never done it. There are some folks up here who make 'salmon sausage.' Not my cup of tea, though. To each their own..

But if you're in the process of making ground beef of some sort, or sausage, your local butcher can order fresh frozen hog jowls for grinding, just as readily/easily as they can order pork or beef suet. Mix that with your ground beef burger or sausage. You'll note a very positive difference.

Add some high-temp sharp cheddar or other cheese to that grind, and stand back. Amazingly tasty stuff! Not 'healthy' in the least, but the better things in life rarely are.

moose eater

some shark species meat is very much like pork in texture, and is not strongly flavored at all. cut it into steaks & grill it, delicious...
We've both grilled and brined/smoked a variety of shark up here. Including salmon sharks, that can get quite large.

They're firm meat, and you want to skin them immediately, due to contents in the skin, and soak in milk for a bit.

Good stuff.

moose eater

At the moment, chicken cordon bleu.. Excellent stuff. Crispy breading around breast meat, with ham and awesome Swiss cheese in the middle.

Followed by more homemade coleslaw made with organic green cabbage..

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
Roasted pigs heads are underrated..

Attachments

• 20220418_053606.jpg
    20220418_053606.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 23

moose eater

Organic baby spinach and organic romaine salad, with organic broccoli, hard boiled egg, organic cucumbers, organic mushrooms, Alaska-grown Mat-Su Valley carrots, tomatoes on the vine (sliced and quartered), hemp hearts, chia seeds, goat cheese, and a version of 'balsamic buzz' dressing (homemade). With 4 large U15 sea scallops, sauteed in organic coconut oil with garlic. Mmmm!!

Chased down with an 8-oz. glass of Freemont Brewing (Seattle) Imperial Winter Ale (A Christmas production; incredible stuff, at 8% abv. Some of the best beer I think I"ve ever had!!).

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Went to a local Mexican place.pork belly taco,two beef and beef nachos.

Attachments

• 20221213_155812.jpg
    20221213_155812.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221213_155809.jpg
    20221213_155809.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23

moose eater

My son came out to repay a loan I'd made to him a bit over a month or so ago, and knew I was sampling the breaded or battered deep-fried calamri in town. He brought me out a decent quality box of breaded calamari tentacles, sold as 'calamari steaks', with tartar sauce, and a somewhat sweet (maybe honey-ranch?) dressing, with red leaf lettuce, spinach, romaine, zuchinni squash, tomatoes, etc.

Not bad calamari. Better than some, not too tough, despite the preparation as tentacles rather than rings, etc.

Salad was tasty, too.

Fit right in as a second dinner, as I'd been working outside at -2 f. and had a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich earlier in the evening, with uncured maple sugar bacon, organic romaine lettuce, and sliced red tomatoes on the vine.

More dinner than I probably needed, but I justified it with the labor in between outdoors..

Last edited:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
YO! Long time no see smooth! Yeah I could live off jello and Popsicles
hey what up man hows it going i musta missed your reply other week was first few times on since website upgrade was still learning to navigate. its breakfast time then coffee for me at moment
IMG_0046.jpg

shithawk420

Veteran
yeah it took me awhile to get used to the new ui too.looks decent.turkey cheese and egg?throw some bacon on there you got a winner bro!