What's new

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

moose eater

On the moose, the top sirloin and fillet/tenderloin are the most choice, tender steaks. The backstrap is basically a New York, and only typically reliably tender in really thin breakfast steaks unless it's an exceptionally tender moose, so it often gets roasted (cut into roasts).

A 'finger test', forcing your finger through steaks from bottom sirloin, top round, bottom round, etc. with the 'test steak' sitting on a cutting board, etc. tells you how tender the rest of it is.

Over 2/3 of our clean moose meat was typically either ground into burger or sausage.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
What facebook just was showing me, what I posted before 5 years.

319609439_656367542852310_4655932353173113767_n (1).jpg

319550992_1274518629760757_7281559304388987745_n.jpg

320776783_1614595792305333_5559221649467313601_n.jpg

320642686_661141919047228_8259659896671026851_n.jpg

and what we really had before some minutes, chicken fricassee

320686604_672920617844343_5314964267643773427_n.jpg

[Maschinenhaus]

Homemade pizza with 500g Italian flour Tipo 00, 4 tablespoons of potato starch, a little fresh yeast, sea salt. Long rest of dough for 48 hours in the refrigerator. Topped with fresh garlic, red and green peppers from a greenhouse in Bavaria. Grated Swiss AOC Emmental cheese. Baked at 280 °C hot air oven.

My thanks for the recipe of this ingenious dough goes to "Marco - Der Pizzabäcker"!

20221202_190220.jpg

WIIIDZN

Schüler und Lehrer zugleich...
Homemade pizza with 500g Italian flour Tipo 00, 4 tablespoons of potato starch, a little fresh yeast, sea salt. Long rest of dough for 48 hours in the refrigerator. Topped with fresh garlic, red and green peppers from a greenhouse in Bavaria. Grated Swiss AOC Emmental cheese. Baked at 280 °C hot air oven.
So without any tomato sauce?

[Maschinenhaus]

So it´s a mix between tarte flambee and pizza.... sounds good. I´ll try it soon.

No, the dough is a real pizza dough as it is made in northern Italy also as pizza bread or flatbread to soups and stews.

It is crispy on the outside and soft inside, retains its crispy crust even when cold. There are pizzas that have fresh tomatoes instead of tomato sauce or neither.

moose eater

No, the dough is a real pizza dough as it is made in northern Italy also as pizza bread or flatbread to soups and stews.

It is crispy on the outside and soft inside, retains its crispy crust even when cold. There are pizzas that have fresh tomatoes instead of tomato sauce or neither.
We have sometimes made a thickened white sauce with a predominantly garlic base, with a bit of basil, and use that sauce with seafood, chicken, spinach, onion, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, etc.; different toppings as a rule for white sauce, rather than red; milder flavors usually.

Cuddles

Yes.
I hunt basically 4 months out of the year and fill two large chest freezers mainly with venison and also duck, rabbit and some fish and scallops.
Ive bagged 19 deer this year, so far. Unlimited antler-less tags here along with two bucks with any single antler over 3 inches.
It's primitive firearms season right now. Gotta make that one shot count.
I process all my own meat. Have to as there is nobody here that does it commercially, the closest being about 60 miles and a three hour boat trip away .
Wow, free meat and I guess we don´t need to worry about you starving any time soon, do we ?(y)
Cutting up all that meat is tons of work though. I only ever do that with legs of lamb but even that takes time. If I had to cut up an entire animal I would be totally $%&/()
How long do you need for just one (just curious). I mean it takes time even when you´ve got a professional butcher knife - and those cost $$$$$
So you grow your own veggies too, yes? Or do you have shops nearby?

Rabbit seems to becoming fashionable again, where i live. I´ve seen some at a local supermarket now and then.

Cuddles

beef pot roast, red cabbage, mashed potatoes for me today, courtesy of my freezer.
followed by the world cup, a cup of tea, cookies and a very bizarre phone call by my dad. I still don´t get what the hell he was talking about!!

Cuddles

rabbit is good eating, very healthy. no fat to it at all, though. you can supposedly starve to death with a full belly of it, they serve rabbit a LOT to the military here...those poor bastards think it is "chicken"...:cool:
can´t they tell by the colour and so on?
Those rabbits are tiny though and there´s hardly any meat on them.

Here in Europe a lot of people used to eat rabbit and pidgeons during and after the war. They had no choice as meat in general was scarce and when there was some available it was so expensive that the majority of people simply couldn´t afford it.

• Sad
Reactions: Gry

armedoldhippy

Veteran
can´t they tell by the colour and so on?
Those rabbits are tiny though and there´s hardly any meat on them.

Here in Europe a lot of people used to eat rabbit and pidgeons
i never noticed much color to the meat, whether wild cottontails i shot or tame ones in mess hall. what gave it away to me was drumsticks an inch and a half shorter, no breasts, and zero wings. lotsa thighs though, lol. pigeon still on the menu in finer dining spots, but it is young flightless birds labeled "squab"...

Cuddles

i never noticed much color to the meat, whether wild cottontails i shot or tame ones in mess hall. what gave it away to me was drumsticks an inch and a half shorter, no breasts, and zero wings. lotsa thighs though, lol. pigeon still on the menu in finer dining spots, but it is young flightless birds labeled "squab"...
yes, I have heard of some restaurants which serve them. Never tried them myself. Given the choice I´ll pick like anything else, lol :biggrin:
I would love to try snake though. They eat it in a number of countries from south america to china. I don´t understand why the rest of the world has picked up on snakes as a source of lean protein! Much more appetizing than insects imo ;)

moose eater

Sandwich with mayonnaise, extra hot horse radish, Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese, sliced sweet onion, fresh organic baby spinach, organic romaine lettuce, uncured Gallo pepperoni, sliced red ripe tomatoes on the vine, and sprouted grains and seeds bread from Alvarado St. Bakery.

Damned near healthy.

Out of good Chinese green tea, so it's a 20-oz. cup of Raspberry Zinger tea.