What's new

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

moose eater

yeah, really crap. I mostly buy fruit and veg but they´ve gone seriously up in price during these past 2 years alone. 1 kg of apples was 1.99 and is now 2.99. Same problem with veggies and so on.

I eat healthy and don´t buy ready made meals or snacks but I still pay way more than I used to..
Meat is waaay more pricey than it used to be. Even minced beef - used to be like 4 - 5.99 when on special offer and now it´s 11 -12. Got lucky this week though because it was `only 8 -9, so I´ll be making nice meat balls / cevapcici along with a pepper bell sauce :) Those were cheaper this week, so I got really lucky somehow.
I used to pay about 25 or so, now I pay 30-35 for the exact same items.

My little freezer is currently absolutely packed with pre cooked food.
But still, making your own fresh food was a lot cheaper before the pandemic and the war :(
I guess on the bright side, they're forcing you (albeit via economics) to eat even healthier than you were, which, over time will result in them selling less 'meat', and they'll either go out of business or lower their prices.

moose eater

I think selling less meat/ killing less animals would be awesome.
Hey would anyone eat "beaf"? Is it like all farts?
I like clean meat, though have shifted more heavily toward poultry and fish, due to health issues.

Every now and then a nice, rare, charcoal grilled bone-in ribeye hits the spot, but I've noted the longer I go without it, the more it can upset my gut; esp. a nice 16-20 ouncer.

Love sheep, lamb and goat, too, but the grease and I are no longer good friends either.

More 'forced' healthfulness, I guess. And for what ever initial motivation, the larger red-meat animals benefit a bit. :)

Tell 'em I and the Docs said, "You're welcome." :)

Cuddles

I guess on the bright side, they're forcing you (albeit via economics) to eat even healthier than you were, which, over time will result in them selling less 'meat', and they'll either go out of business or lower their prices.
trouble is fruit and veg are way up too :( but people gotta eat, right?

Speaking of eating healthy - I recall the week before and during the very first lockdown: The shop shelves were empty, I mean there was almost nothing left. Same thing in the frozen foods section, like pizzas and so on.. all gone. BUT: there was always plenty of fruits and veggies available.
This really showed peoples eating habits, lol.

Cuddles

I like clean meat, though have shifted more heavily toward poultry and fish, due to health issues.

Every now and then a nice, rare, charcoal grilled bone-in ribeye hits the spot, but I've noted the longer I go without it, the more it can upset my gut; esp. a nice 16-20 ouncer.

Love sheep, lamb and goat, too, but the grease and I are no longer good friends either.

More 'forced' healthfulness, I guess. And for what ever initial motivation, the larger red-meat animals benefit a bit. :)

Tell 'em I and the Docs said, "You're welcome." :)
last year I was able to eat a lot of lamb but hardly any this year. I checked the prices at the butchers recently: It´s up to 18 EUR per kg and that´s only for a leg of lamb, not even the nice cuts !
Got lucky and found some on offer at some other shop and it was from NZ/ Australia too, which is much better too :)

Btw my gut started getting better in 2021! But in addition to eating by my blood type and the right meats I also eat fruit and loadsa veggies, salads etc.

We currently got the bird flu going round again :(

moose eater

last year I was able to eat a lot of lamb but hardly any this year. I checked the prices at the butchers recently: It´s up to 18 EUR per kg and that´s only for a leg of lamb, not even the nice cuts !
Got lucky and found some on offer at some other shop and it was from NZ/ Australia too, which is much better too :)

Btw my gut started getting better in 2021! But in addition to eating by my blood type and the right meats I also eat fruit and loadsa veggies, salads etc.

We currently got the bird flu going round again :(
At xe.com (my preferred foreign exchange/money market site) $1 USD is getting ~$1.49..24 AUD at this moment.

Costco in town often has Aussie or NZ Lamb (boneless legs in netting) these days for about $6.99/lb USD (last year they were $5.99/lb.), which means we're paying close to the same price as you are per kg., for your leg of lamb, boneless, from close to 10,000 miles (or more) away, not counting the thieving banks' .03 cents/dollar, or 3% foreign purchase charge they take on a plastic purchase, which isn't likely a factor for the shippers and exporters/importers the way it is for us peons.

You folks tend to grow some fine lamb, and do a splendid job on what remains of your larger Aussie rock lobster harvests, that we're probably paying a bit less than you are, but not by much. An educated guess on the lobsters.

Edit: We're currently able to get .94.46 (.94.5 Euro to the US dollar), again, pre-fees of what is often 3% for a plastic foreign purchase.

Last edited:

Cuddles

At xe.com (my preferred foreign exchange/money market site) $1 USD is getting ~$1.49..24 AUD at this moment.

Costco in town often has Aussie or NZ Lamb (boneless legs in netting) these days for about $6.99/lb USD (last year they were $5.99/lb.), which means we're paying close to the same price as you are per kg., for your leg of lamb, boneless, from close to 10,000 miles (or more) away, not counting the thieving banks' .03 cents/dollar, or 3% foreign purchase charge they take on a plastic purchase, which isn't likely a factor for the shippers and exporters/importers the way it is for us peons.

You folks tend to grow some fine lamb, and do a splendid job on what remains of your larger Aussie rock lobster harvests, that we're probably paying a bit less than you are, but not by much. An educated guess on the lobsters.

Edit: We're currently able to get .94.46 (.94.5 Euro to the US dollar), again, pre-fees of what is often 3% for a plastic foreign purchase.
7 USD per lbs is cheap. Those are the prices we used to have like 5 or more years ago.
7 USD is 6.50 EUR today. The Euro got a little stronger again this week.
And the lamb we usually get where I am is local and rubbish when compared to australian or `kiwi´ meat.
I agree with you, those guys `down there´ are really doing something very right!

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
I just opened Pandora's box... :rasta: 🙈
Was an offer for 59cent(100g) these week btw.

20221217_220143-01.jpeg

20221217_220234-01.jpeg
20221217_220355-01.jpeg

Kind of perverted, isn't it... 😁

moose eater

7 USD per lbs is cheap. Those are the prices we used to have like 5 or more years ago.
7 USD is 6.50 EUR today. The Euro got a little stronger again this week.
And the lamb we usually get where I am is local and rubbish when compared to australian or `kiwi´ meat.
I agree with you, those guys `down there´ are really doing something very right!
If you check the site I posted, then add the .03 cents per dollar. 1 Euro gets $1.05 USD at the moment before the .03 cents/$. USD is a lesser currency than the Euro for a long time, not withstanding some minor bumps, but a fair bit stronger than AUD or NZ currencies.

Edit: Maybe we're saying the same thing? But it's 2.2 lbs. to the kilo. 1970s hashish math:)

Factored in is the economy of scale; there's a shit-ton more people here buying groceries per area (US, not Alaska), although lamb is admittedly not the go-to meat for many of them.

Re-edit: 1,000 grams to the kilo, and 453.9 grams to the lb.

Re-re-edit: For our locally grown sheep and lamb, or even pork or beef. The prices are outrageous. Look on craigslistFairbanks (Alaska) for anyone in the farm and produce section selling livestock, typically on the hoof, and factor in the loss in entrails, hooves, head, etc, from live weight (a safe average being a 35% loss or greater in weight, except for pork) and you find why we commoners don't buy local very often. And why we appreciate the NZ and Aussie lamb! :)

Last edited:

Cuddles

If you check the site I posted, then add the .03 cents per dollar. 1 Euro gets $1.05 USD at the moment before the .03 cents/$. USD is a lesser currency than the Euro for a long time, not withstanding some minor bumps, but a fair bit stronger than AUD or NZ currencies.

Edit: Maybe we're saying the same thing? But it's 2.2 lbs. to the kilo. 1970s hashish math:)

Factored in is the economy of scale; there's a shit-ton more people here buying groceries per area (US, not Alaska), although lamb is admittedly not the go-to meat for many of them.

Re-edit: 1,000 grams to the kilo, and 453.9 grams to the lb.

Re-re-edit: For our locally grown sheep and lamp, or even pork or beef. The prices are outrageous. Look on craigslistFairbanks (Alaska) for anyone in the farm and produce section selling livestock, typically on the hoof, and factor in the loss in entrails, hooves, head, etc, from live weight (a safe average being a 35% loss or greater in weight, except for pork) and you find why we commoners don't buy local very often. And why we appreciate the NZ and Aussie lamb! :)
well, over here that´s not how the math is done in the shops, not really.. The formula is mathematically correct but nobody actually bothers with it. If you ask for 1 lbs of minced beef they just give you 500 grams worth ie half a kg ;) makes life that much easier for all :)

moose eater

well, over here that´s not how the math is done in the shops, not really.. The formula is mathematically correct but nobody actually bothers with it. If you ask for 1 lbs of minced beef they just give you 500 grams worth ie half a kg ;) makes life that much easier for all :)
We 'round up' here too for dope; a lb. has equalled 454 grams for ever at my house. Though they were always over weight going out. For a variety of good reasons..

Unfortunately many persons both in the USA and overseas have gotten so accustomed to viewing 1/4 oz's as a flat 7 grams, rather than just under 7.1, as a true ounce is ~28.35 grams, that many have unwittingly or knowingly (take your pick) been ripping off their customers buying lbs. that typically come up close to a quarter-ounce shy per lb.

Had 'mildly energized' discussions over the years re. that. Asked a couple of them (sarcastically) if I could simply take a 1/4 oz. for free, since it didn't seem to matter to them when going the other direction. Their reply was often less than humored. :)

We still buy by the accurate gram-weight as a rule when I'm in the Yukon Territory or other parts of Canada, based on kg pricing. They were converting to metric shortly after I moved from there to Alaska in the Fall of 1978. Though it took a while to get the mile markers removed from the side of the Canadian portion of the Alaska Hwy and get the km markers put into place. I still remember the original mile-markers numerically for specific spots, decades later.

I noted when I planted trees briefly in the Roosevelt Nat'l Forest in the Red Feather Lakes area, in the early 1980s, on my way down to straighten out family business in Arizona, , that despite there being herds of cattle grazing on leases up there, the price of beef in Fort Collins at the grocery stores was as much or more than/as we were paying then in Alaska.

Like phoning up the manufacturer of an item much of the time, and finding out that direct purchases often involve MSRP with fewer breaks.

Same-same here much of the time with our crab and such.

Thanks for the discourse.

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Do you grind backfat or bacon or belly into the venison?
No. I dont want to add pork to my nice tasty natural free range venison.
I used to but stopped several years ago and I dont miss it in my venison burgers.
I did make a ten lb. batch of bacon burger a while back with some nitrate free bacon but only because a close friend likes it and that's part of his Christmas present this year.
We rarely eat store bought meats. . Occasionally some chicken and bacon of course.
90% of the meats we eat are wild meats I hunt myself.
Beef and other greasy meats dont agree with me anymore. Last time I ate a beef steak it grossed me out.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
you go hunting yourself? A friend of my parents used to be a professional hunter. He used to tell my mum to never buy venison in a shop because the meat is nver that great. The reason being is that the hunters keep all the good stuff for themselves, lol :)
Yes.
I hunt basically 4 months out of the year and fill two large chest freezers mainly with venison and also duck, rabbit and some fish and scallops.
Ive bagged 19 deer this year, so far. Unlimited antler-less tags here along with two bucks with any single antler over 3 inches.
It's primitive firearms season right now. Gotta make that one shot count.
I process all my own meat. Have to as there is nobody here that does it commercially, the closest being about 60 miles and a three hour boat trip away .

Cuddles

We 'round up' here too for dope; a lb. has equalled 454 grams for ever at my house. Though they were always over weight going out. For a variety of good reasons..

Unfortunately many persons both in the USA and overseas have gotten so accustomed to viewing 1/4 oz's as a flat 7 grams, rather than just under 7.1, as a true ounce is ~28.35 grams, that many have unwittingly or knowingly (take your pick) been ripping off their customers buying lbs. that typically come up close to a quarter-ounce shy per lb.

Had 'mildly energized' discussions over the years re. that. Asked a couple of them (sarcastically) if I could simply take a 1/4 oz. for free, since it didn't seem to matter to them when going the other direction. Their reply was often less than humored. :)

We still buy by the accurate gram-weight as a rule when I'm in the Yukon Territory or other parts of Canada, based on kg pricing. They were converting to metric shortly after I moved from there to Alaska in the Fall of 1978. Though it took a while to get the mile markers removed from the side of the Canadian portion of the Alaska Hwy and get the km markers put into place. I still remember the original mile-markers numerically for specific spots, decades later.

I noted when I planted trees briefly in the Roosevelt Nat'l Forest in the Red Feather Lakes area, in the early 1980s, on my way down to straighten out family business in Arizona, , that despite there being herds of cattle grazing on leases up there, the price of beef in Fort Collins at the grocery stores was as much or more than/as we were paying then in Alaska.

Like phoning up the manufacturer of an item much of the time, and finding out that dierect purchases often involve MSRP with fewer breaks.

Same-same here much of the time with our crab and such.

Thanks for the discourse.

My example was based on how things are done (maybe not all countries) in europe. If a recipe says use 1lbs it means use 500 g :) It´s just a rule of thumb basically..
I can imagine how this can sort of confuse many americans, as you guys just aren´t used to metrics, let alone this way of calculating :) but as I mentioned, it makes life easier.

For me a pint must be the full 500 ml too! If you go to a pub in england you get a full, and I mean a full pint glas, it´s so full that it often spills over :biggrin:

I´ve no experience buying and selling weed or hash or other drugs in bulk.
BUt I´m sure it´s very different - it makes sense as there´s more money involved :)

moose eater

My example was based on how things are done (maybe not all countries) in europe. If a recipe says use 1lbs it means use 500 g :) It´s just a rule of thumb basically..
I can imagine how this can sort of confuse many americans, as you guys just aren´t used to metrics, let alone this way of calculating :) but as I mentioned, it makes life easier.

For me a pint must be the full 500 ml too! If you go to a pub in england you get a full, and I mean a full pint glas, it´s so full that it often spills over :biggrin:

I´ve no experience buying and selling weed or hash or other drugs in bulk.
BUt I´m sure it´s very different - it makes sense as there´s more money involved :)
I tested our 12-oz. bar glasses here. They're 11-oz. Another corporate rip-off that benefits the bars, or maybe considers the loss of beer in foam when they start pouring from a frothy tap.

Last edited: