What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

Cuddles

Surprisingly (to me), Medscape just published a study showing beans (whole dry type) and potatoes (OF ALL THINGS!!) lowered A1C and body weight/BMI.

Gotta' love my Irish farmer ancestors that much more now!! Wondered why I was doing more or less OK eating home-fried spuds/hash-browned spuds this last Fall/Summer.

The coconut flour works well, but I've found it has to be cut with something else (often times organic whole wheat pastry flour) if you don't want to impart too much coconut flavor/essence.

We used almond flour for a while, very briefly, but I found it to be too grainy in texture, to the point (and this may sound weird) it seemed like the texture took on a whole new dimension in the way of flavor, even. Turned me right off, though who knows? Maybe there's a dish it works well with that we haven't tried yet.
I started eating potatoes in 2021 as a source of carbs and did really well also. I the past I used to rely on rice and pasta far, far too much. But I realized that potaoes are better all round (better for my gut too).
Carbs are important, no matter what some people may say. You just gotta pick the right ones :)

moose eater

I started eating potatoes in 2021 as a source of carbs and did really well also. I the past I used to rely on rice and pasta far, far too much. But I realized that potaoes are better all round (better for my gut too).
Carbs are important, no matter what some people may say. You just gotta pick the right ones :)
Your body actually manufactures carbs out of all sorts of things (OR CAN), including protein and fat, when in need ('glucogenesis' as a product of liver function, again, in times of need, assuming the liver is doing OK; jury may currently be out on mine, having kick-started my pancreatic/liver functions with extreme shifts, on purpose, in the past, and current state of mind holding a proverbial white flag of sorts, in re. to greater issues).

When I get my A1C's looking a bit daunting, I'll go on a no or low carb diet. Still eating healthy foods, though.

I once (or twice) brought a -horrific- A1C down to 6.1 in the course of a few moonths (literally), much to the amazement of my rather conventional (and sometimes narrow in thought process) primary care Doc.

I told her I'm not her average brain-dead urban patient, relying on others to define my reality, who eats a pill followed by a candy bar.

She's slowly come to believe me, but she has a ways to go to match her book reading to the reality that some of us maintain or live by.

Over 50% of the amputations of limbs/legs etc. in the US are the result of diabetes, poorly treated, if treated at all (to esp. include diet), and in the majority of those cases, the patient knew they had diabetes.

Change is really daunting for some, right up until the Docs turn on that bone saw, and even then, sometimes.. self-destruction and lack of motivation is just too strong in some..

"And so it goes..." (Kurt Vonnegut)

Edit: The cancer(s) currently being battled? They more or less just laugh at much of this, flip me the bird, and indicate they'll do as they damned well please. Whole 'nother battle, that one. The Buddhist lessons of quasi-powerlessness and humility, for those of us who thought we could control all the factors in life..) :)

Last edited:

moose eater

By the way, rice, even brown rice, is really not that healthy of a dietary product. As you've noted.

We used to eat a lot of it as younger hippies, and thought we were eating healthy. We weren't.

The countries that consume a lot of rice, tend to do so for cultural reasons, and the fact that many of them are (overall) economically 'poor' countries; they eat what they can grow.. Rice.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Today I had Pilchards with a side of assorted veg as main meal. I really enjoy fish but the price of everything has me looking at cheaper options. Pilchards are in fact nice large sardines. Very oily fish and a great price.

Cuddles

By the way, rice, even brown rice, is really not that healthy of a dietary product. As you've noted.

We used to eat a lot of it as younger hippies, and thought we were eating healthy. We weren't.

The countries that consume a lot of rice, tend to do so for cultural reasons, and the fact that many of them are (overall) economically 'poor' countries; they eat what they can grow.. Rice.
In asia, I think a lot of people probably eat less rice than people in western countries eat flour based foods. But they do tend to eat lots of veggies and some seafood and meat. Overall it´s a very balanced diet.
I think over `here´ most people just don´t eat much healthy stuff which may be the reason why so many people suffer from `certain digestive problems´ .
I once watched a TV programme about young kids in the UK and they said that hospitals get far too many young patients who suffer from constipation. They even have to go to the hospital just because their parents don´t give them the right things to eat. :(

moose eater

In asia, I think a lot of people probably eat less rice than people in western countries eat flour based foods. But they do tend to eat lots of veggies and some seafood and meat. Overall it´s a very balanced diet.
I think over `here´ most people just don´t eat much healthy stuff which may be the reason why so many people suffer from `certain digestive problems´ .
I once watched a TV programme about young kids in the UK and they said that hospitals get far too many young patients who suffer from constipation. They even have to go to the hospital just because their parents don´t give them the right things to eat. :(
I did a research paper in under-grad in the early 1980s, and in western Culture, specifically the USA, across the board, people ate shitty diets. Even the wealthy. We're spoiled by convenience, literaly to the point of toxicity.
While the poor tend to eat cheaper carbs, and suffer obesity from it more often than not (leading many of those who are/were ignorant of the nutritional facts, but with $, to say things back then like, "See they're not poor!! Look at how fat they are!!"), even the wealthiest tended to eat crap diets. Culture. Tme demands/constraints. Processed foods. Marketing. Learned helplessness. Etc.

People don't remember how to cook stuff from scratch. Let alone grow it for themselves. If there's ever a true break-down in supply chain, or worse, it'll either be a real uphill learning curve for those folks, or there'll be trouble that makes current day skirmishes look tame. Word.

As the culture changed in the later 1950s/early 1960s, the frequency of 'cook books' and food articles consisting of recipes that involved "mixing (this can of prepped food) with (that can of prepped food), with (these frozen items), etc., and that was considered homemade grub. It was simply easier, as mom's, single or otherwise, went to the work place, mostly as the resultof changing economics.

I still have some of those old cook books here. Nostalgia, for sure, but YUCK!!... Except for the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, over frozen green beans, with processed French Fried Onions on top, and maybe in modern times, some fresh mushroomns added. That one's sacred! :)

Cuddles

I did a research paper in under-grad in the early 1980s, and in western Culture, specifically the USA, across the board, people ate shitty diets. Even the wealthy. We're spoiled by convenience, literaly to the point of toxicity.
While the poor tend to eat cheaper carbs, and suffer obesity from it more often than not (leading many of those who are/were ignorant of the nutritional facts, but with $, to say things back then like, "See they're not poor!! Look at how fat they are!!"), even the wealthiest tended to eat crap diets. Culture. Tme demands/constraints. Processed foods. Marketing. Learned helplessness. Etc.

People don't remember how to cook stuff from scratch. Let alone grow it for themselves. If there's ever a true break-down in supply chain, or worse, it'll either be a real uphill learning curve for those folks, or there'll be trouble that makes current day skirmishes look tame. Word.

As the culture changed in the later 1950s/early 1960s, the frequency of 'cook books' and food articles consisting of recipes that involved "mixing (this can of prepped food) with (that can of prepped food), with (these frozen items), etc., and that was considered homemade grub. It was simply easier, as mom's, single or otherwise, went to the work place, mostly as the resultof changing economics.

I still have some of those old cook books here. Nostalgia, for sure, but YUCK!!... Except for the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, over frozen green beans, with processed French Fried Onions on top, and maybe in modern times, some fresh mushroomns added. That one's sacred! :)
do you think that the convenience of having ready-made food available is somehow connected to the war(s) of the last century? Because tinned food supply / rations were pretty important. Soldiers relied on them - or so I heard.

I´ve always said that farmers will always do better than peoplle in cities, at least in the sense that they will have enough food available. Maybe not a lot of money, but food to eat .
A lot of people have sneered at this statement, when I mentioned this....

moose eater

do you think that the convenience of having ready-made food available is somehow connected to the war(s) of the last century? Because tinned food supply / rations were pretty important. Soldiers relied on them - or so I heard.

I´ve always said that farmers will always do better than peoplle in cities, at least in the sense that they will have enough food available. Maybe not a lot of money, but food to eat .
A lot of people have sneered at this statement, when I mentioned this....
We used to collect the older C-rations, then later on, the MREs (meals ready to eat) the gov. gave troops. Processed synthesized food that was/is VERY high in carbs, as one noted feature. But troops in the field may be carrying a 60-100-lb. pack many days, possibly covering miles each day, in actual combat they'd routinely have adrenaline pulsing on the regular, so carbs in significant presence aren't the same issue as they are for an urbanian watching television half the day.

The actual healthfulness of the foods in these things is/was still shit, mind you, but it suits its purpose; readily available high-energy (shit) foods.

I think we're an invasive and opportunistic species, especially in times of need. If there's a shortage of necessary items during a crisis, and someone, say, farmers or stores have an abundance, then who ever can access those things, regardless of whose it is (ownership under normal circumstances) won't matter as much as who has the muscle to take or hold those resources. Think Somalia.

When the existing food stocks wither, that will be when those who can do for themselves (or for others) will maybe realize their intrinsic value whether as teachers or providers.

But that ventures into one of my wife's favorite movie genres; post-apocalyptic sci-fi stuff. And that also involves a lot of hypothetical stuff, too.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
mom brought me some donuts earlier havnt had one in months so good
IMG_0038.jpg

moose eater

Homemade pizza from yesterday; items listed in initial post yesterday. Green tea x 3 bags in a 20-oz. ceramic mug, and 12 oz. of deep, dark, French Roast coffee with a drizzle of 40% fat heavy whipping cream.