What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Aeration, Simple

Tilt

sorry I was being facetious. Electrolysis would be dangerous because it produces twice as much hydrogen gas h2 as oxygen gas 02. If the hydrogen built up around a HID light or just a spark at the right ppms it would make a very cool fireball. I would be very nervous to try it with out very good ventilation. It does make for some incredible DO2 levels though and the bubbles are great. Youtube has some pretty cool videos of electrolysis.

small version if your interested still http://http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/electrolysis/ofwater.html
2 pencils sharpened at each end
1 9v battery
2 strips of insulated wire
electrical tape
saucer ceramic
water

tape the wire to each pencil end
put water in saucer
attach one pencil to +
attach one pencil to -
put both tips in the water about an inch apart

Bubbles of gas!!!!!!

zenoonez

Veteran
H2o2 will break down organic matter, destroying it completely with prolonged exposure. H2o2 takes about 24 hour to dissipate out of solution, why its advised to use every 24 hours, as not to overdose too. I use a 17.5% solution at 0.5mls per litre!

Bene's can survive in H2o2 solution, lmao, what rot!!!!!!!!! where you getting your info bro(Baba)!? been using it for years & im no1 fan.

Its the extra D'O that increases Nute uptake bro!

Some bacteria have resistance to hydrogen peroxide

Last edited by a moderator:

zenoonez

Veteran
I am not talking about any particular bacteria but the fact that bacteria have and do develop resistances fairly quickly. If you use h2O2 on a regular basis I would be willing to bet dollars to pesos that if you cultured swabs from your res you would find peroxide resistant bacteria. And the sureness I have comes from knowing that h2O2 doesn't kill everything it touches and that those which possess resistances will produce progeny which possess resistances. Now if you regularly run bleach, h2O2, and other disinfectants of various kinds through your system it becomes less likely but given enough time between applications, bacteria will develop resistances to all the things you use habitually through taking in plasmids via a process known as transformation.

Edit: Quick link to an abstract mentioning the problems of bacteria developing resistances specifically mentioning peroxides~> http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...eaef3f0db8011b6f3156024ed14c414f&searchtype=a

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrogerman

Veteran
Hey Tilt,
I was reading up on this Oxy-electrolysis the other day & there are now commercial units you can buy, this is new pioneering way to add D'O to Res solutions(New to me anyway), ill be back with a link shortly, im sure i bookmarked it somewhere, got my attention & sounded cool for stealth.
Thanks for your input fella, a real grower!

Scrogerman

Veteran
I am not talking about any particular bacteria but the fact that bacteria have and do develop resistances fairly quickly. If you use h2O2 on a regular basis I would be willing to bet dollars to pesos that if you cultured swabs from your res you would find peroxide resistant bacteria. And the sureness I have comes from knowing that h2O2 doesn't kill everything it touches and that those which possess resistances will produce progeny which possess resistances. Now if you regularly run bleach, h2O2, and other disinfectants of various kinds through your system it becomes less likely but given enough time between applications, bacteria will develop resistances to all the things you use habitually through taking in plasmids via a process known as transformation.

Edit: Quick link to an abstract mentioning the problems of bacteria developing resistances specifically mentioning peroxides~> http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...eaef3f0db8011b6f3156024ed14c414f&searchtype=a

Youve never actually done this have you? well ive run H2o2 & Nutes from day 1 to finish(many many times man) & believe me, No Bacteria(pathogenic or otherwise, anerobic etc) thrived in my Res. The signs would of been obvious! like PH swinging sharply Down & nasty smells etc etc, like rotten fish/smelly feet, ive seen it all, but that was before i disscovered H2o2. Can we have more info links to your claims that actually confirm what you are saying bro!

peroxides, we are talking about the hydrogen one yeah H2O2!¬) Thanks for the Link, ill have a read through tommoro now man! Cheers! Ill let you know!

Dude, ive actually run these tests, & NO bacteria super heroes survived im affraid lol! H2O2 man dissolved them all! = Res Sterilised, COMPLETELY!

Hearsay all of it!

Last edited:

zenoonez

Veteran
Youve never actually done this have you? well ive run H2o2 & Nutes from day 1 to finish & believe me, No Bacteria thrived in my Res. The signs would of been obvious! like PH swinging sharply Down & nasty smells etc etc, like rotten fish/smelly feet, ive seen it all, but that was before i disscovered H2o2. Can we have more info links to your claims that actually confirm what you are saying bro!

Lol. You think scientist have been testing marijuana growers reservoirs? Just because a population of bacteria has a limiting environmental factor doesn't mean they don't exist. How about another link to an abstract talking about peroxide resistance? I am fresh out of ones titled "Beneficial Bacteria Found in Great White Develop H2O2 Resistance Over Time." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12900037

Scrogerman

Veteran

If what you were saying was true, then H2o2 wouldnt work as a sterilising agent would it? & Boy does it work! Very very well, my res's smell soo clean when im running this stuff, my nose knows sterile mate! years of experience using H2o2 tells my nose so. Like i said before ive run it from day 1 to finish & used so many different ratios & scheduals with it also! Think ive used it regularly for the last 15+ years.

Tilt

Hey Tilt,
I was reading up on this Oxy-electrolysis the other day & there are now commercial units you can buy, this is new pioneering way to add D'O to Res solutions(New to me anyway), ill be back with a link shortly, im sure i bookmarked it somewhere, got my attention & sounded cool for stealth.
Thanks for your input fella, a real grower!
yea I saw something like that in one of my catalogs too. It makes me nervous though. Im sure there is a safe way to do it. I wonder what it would do to ph in a nutrient solution with its salt levels so high. I think more research would be in order here. To bad I can't do it. I can't do hydro in my current situation. Thanks for the props...

Scrogerman

Veteran
Lol. You think scientist have been testing marijuana growers reservoirs? Just because a population of bacteria has a limiting environmental factor doesn't mean they don't exist. How about another link to an abstract talking about peroxide resistance? I am fresh out of ones titled "Beneficial Bacteria Found in Great White Develop H2O2 Resistance Over Time." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12900037

Run Rabbit run rabbit run run run lol bro! - Yeah Ed Rosenthal, id say was close! i wonder what he'd have to say on this issue, Ask Ed anyone?????

How many times have you run this stuff bro? in hydroponics?
You need to read your own link mate, Low levels, ok man! lol! these are like special cultures man, not my Res Solutions, seems to be quite a difference to me bro! a little complicated but my hydro & use of H2o2 yields no bacterial issues & never has. Not once! what does my obsevations tell you. I dont think they were conducting these experiments whilst growing AK47 or UKCheese in NFT or DWC now were they! Give it up bro!
If the words my res needs sterilising spring up on IC here, then H2o2 is the first thing that comes to mind, Theories lol! I know it keeps my res sterile & i aint seen no super resistant bacteria thats immune to H2O2's sterilising effects, again hearsay! it dont happen in Hydro , well not in my hydro res's it doesnt!

Last edited:

zenoonez

Veteran
If what you were saying was true, then H2o2 wouldnt work as a sterilising agent would it? & Boy does it work! Very very well, my res's smell soo clean when im running this stuff, my nose knows sterile mate! years of experience using H2o2 tells my nose so.

If you think your nose can detect sterile then you are either not understanding the word sterile or you are making a funny that doesn't translate over the interwebs very well. As to H2O2 being a good sterilizing agent, it really isn't that good, alcohol is better in general, and bases used in various kinds of soaps or bleach, detergents which destroy cell plasma membranes, etc.

Edit: I have never run hydro. Always been a guerrilla grower due to draconian laws round these parts. Doesn't make your res any more sterile, the fact is that you are probably breeding some kick ass h202 resistant bacteria.

zenoonez

Veteran
I think what he is saying is that a minute amount of bacteria might survive.

After the initial introduction of H2O2, yes, a small population would likely survive, after that they will multiply to the max population point which the environment will support.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
After the initial introduction of H2O2, yes, a small population would likely survive, after that they will multiply to the max population point which the environment will support.

Till the next treatment when they are killed again.

I think you're trying to say something like penicillin resistant bacteria being rampant in hospitals or something. The difference is people get sick in hospitals and nobody's garden has been invaded with resistant bacteria yet. It's irelevent in other words.

zenoonez

Veteran
Till the next treatment when they are killed again.

I think you're trying to say something like penicillin resistant bacteria being rampant in hospitals or something. The difference is people get sick in hospitals and nobody's garden has been invaded with resistant bacteria yet. It's irelevent in other words.

It depends on the level of resistance. As bacterium are continually exposed to an antagonist like H2O2 is in this case individuals who possess resistance or who develop that resistance will survive then the progeny will also posses this resistance which means that they are less likely to die when the next batch of H2O2 is introduced. And so on and so forth until they develop higher and higher tolerance levels to H2O2 and other peroxides. The fact that people's reservoirs aren't caked with visible bacterium isn't evidence that they aren't there. And yes you are right about the bacteria resistant to penicillin it is similar.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Water becomes aerated when it is in direct contact with oxygen. A waterfall has your water constantly in contact with oxygen and that's what makes it great for oxygenation.

Stale water develops a film on the surface which stops contact between water/oxygen. Even if his film didn't develop, water deep in the reservoir will NOT be aerated since there is no oxygen down there. The best type of aeration will be moving the water on the bottom of the res up to the surface constantly.

If you have a water pump, you can have it in your res just moving the water on the bottom up to the surface. This should work instead of an air pump (though I don't know which works better in practice) and is quieter.

H2O2 is too expensive to use on a daily basis. I'd reserve it for plants that badly need a boost of oxygen (i.e., pump died a few hours ago.)

If you don't care about bennies in your res, just use 1-2ml/gal bleach (enough so it smells like a swimming pool.) My plants love it and it keeps the res clear and sterile.

The electrolysis-in-your-res idea is brilliant, even if impractical! Police would be confused as shit if they saw a car battery with wires going in your res. "The perp was super-charging his marihuana using car batteries and dangerous chemicals like NITROGEN in his marihuana laboratory!" they'll tell the media.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
In theory that's nice, real world is what matters though. Unless we start to see gardens overtaken by h202 resistant bacteria it's a moot point.

zenoonez

Veteran
In theory that's nice, real world is what matters though. Unless we start to see gardens overtaken by h202 resistant bacteria it's a moot point.

Thats not the point of the argument. Scrogerman claimed that beneficial bacteria could not be used in conjunction with H2O2, I was simply pointing out that they likely could be if one was interested in doing so.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Wow that's a huge jump to say that some bacteria might be resistant to it's likely ok to use it with bens. Bad advice.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Beneficial bacteria is probably a waste of money with H2O2/chlorinated/non-aerated water.