What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Aeration, Simple

zenoonez

Veteran
The chart goes up to 40c and covers a wide range of atmospheric pressures. As to H2O2 raising the DO level, I don't know anything about how supersaturation works but I would assume that once the water reaches its saturation point the additional free radical oxygen would just bubble out of the solution because literally the water can't hold any more O2. I will try to do some reading on it later tonight.

Scrogerman

Veteran
H2O alone can only hold so much DO, and in that state it is considered at the oxygen saturation point. Increasing the oxygen content past saturation, and into what's called supersaturation happens all the time in natural marine settings, as things like simple photosynthesis can increase DO to the supersaturation point.

H2O2 can also bring water, at any temperature, and at any barometric pressure, into supersaturation.

As i already said in an earlier post, i believe its around 7ppms at the temps we use in DWC & water Culture. Its 30-100ppms that canna can use, do we want supersaturation? what is the DO at Supersaturation?
I know you can hit 10,000ppms or even 100,000ppms if you want! did you see the link i put up on test strips/kits? read it you might learn somethink!(respectfully said of course) look:
http://www.indigo.com/test-strips/peroxide-test-strips.html

& Im sure youve just completely contradicted yourself bro! wernt you saying it wasnt posssible under natural conditions earlier on. Im not being argumentative btw.

we're all family here Ok!

Last edited:

Scrogerman

Veteran
The chart goes up to 40c and covers a wide range of atmospheric pressures. As to H2O2 raising the DO level, I don't know anything about how supersaturation works but I would assume that once the water reaches its saturation point the additional free radical oxygen would just bubble out of the solution because literally the water can't hold any more O2. I will try to do some reading on it later tonight.

That Makes Perrfect sense bro!

Baba Ku

Veteran
As i already said in an earlier post, i believe its around 7ppms at the temps we use in DWC & water Culture. Its 30-100ppms that canna can use, do we want supersaturation? what is the DO at Supersaturation?
I know you can hit 10,000ppms or even 100,000ppms if you want! did you see the link i put up on test strips/kits? read it you might learn somethink!(respectfully said of course) look:
http://www.indigo.com/test-strips/peroxide-test-strips.html

& Im sure youve just completely contradicted yourself bro! wernt you saying it wasnt posssible under natural conditions earlier on. Im not being argumentative btw.

we're all family here Ok!
You are asking me, yet you are sure I've contradicted myself?
No, you misunderstood if you claim I said it couldn't be done, because I didn't say that.
If you are going to claim someone is providing contradictory statements. it may help to actually bring the statement to the discussion in quotes.

Supersaturation condition exists when the saturation point has been breached. If the saturation number is at 6 then 7ppm is into the supersaturation zone.

And maybe we can all learn something, aye? Like, the strips you have posted up are for measuring H2O2 levels, not DO levels.
Just sayin...
:dunno:

Here is some pertinent information;

Approximate dissolved oxygen saturation values
(At a salinity of 30ppt):

Temperature(°C) Dissolved oxygen (mg/l)
30 _________________6.4
25 _________________7.0
20 _________________7.6
15 _________________8.4
10 _________________9.3
5 __________________10.5

*note the reference to the saline level of the water. Salts greatly effect the DO saturation point just as the barometric pressure and temperature do.
http://omp.gso.uri.edu/ompweb/doee/science/physical/choxy1.htm

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Well, all righty then. 6 pages of bickering have been deleted.

The subject is waterfalls. Let's stick to the subject and follow Thumper's Law.

Carry on.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Yes!!!! I love all this stuff.....

very alkaline, I think around pH 8 or 9.....also if your water gets too hot it loses the ability to hold oxygen.

From everything I have read, you would need an extremely high Dissolved Oxygen level before the roots would become damaged.....just like you would need an extremely high level of CO2 before the stomata begin to close in the leaves.....basically the roots are just leaves that have adapted to Oxygen and not CO2 (a simple way to think about it)

And yes I think the falling water effect is better than the bucket of water + airstone, unless you have a really fancy ceramic air-stone
that is designed for industrial purposes.....i have a picture of one of those in my gallery.....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

I like that way of thinking! About in the evolution, the roots being a different adaptation...

On the subject of airstones it was a real impediment yrs ago when finding a pro quality stone wasn't that ez. They sold only these hobby shop ceramic sticks Etc that dissolved in the Rez & disintegrated. When I first discovered pro series Medo air pumps at a serious pond garden / animal feed store they also had a box of pro series airstones imported from japan as well , sitting over on the shelf. Finding those airstones was a Eureka moment & hipped our local grow store to them....now they are standard in most stores. With 8 outlets & these airstones dare say u could max out well enough any rez. Not to mention these Medo pumps outlast the usual piston types 5-1 in continuous service. In the true largest hydro set ups ( several football fields) believe they inject air using jet venturis into 5-10,000 gal tanks with nute injection systems....

Suppose the Rez/ bucket water temps being kept at an ideal place one very import an factor since o2 holding capacity directly related to maintaining ideal temp. For certain fish like trout in aqua farming which need much higher concentrations of DO per biomass...they like there bath VERY cold! ;)

Scrogerman

Veteran
Im gonna buy a Medo, they look the bizz. I also sourced some H'O Air Diffusers used in big salt water aquariums. Micropore & set you back about £35 a pop!¬) I like that they are Flat (oblong) 4mm(H) x 50mm(W) x 300mm(L), they are the Snizz! The Bubbles off those look very small indeed, almost smoke like but not quite & visibility isnt really impeaded! Im yet to see better!
You can have the best pump in the world but the diffuser's are often overlooked, its Micropore all the way.

Does anybody know the optimal micron bubble size for max DO infusion(at optimal temp), another point overlooked?

Last edited:

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Im gonna buy a Medo, they look the bizz. I also sourced some H'O Air Diffusers used in big salt water aquariums. Micropore & set you back about £35 a pop!¬) I like that they are Flat (oblong) 4mm(H) x 50mm(W) x 300mm(L), they are the Snizz! The Bubbles off those look very small indeed, almost smoke like but not quite & visibility isnt really impeaded! Im yet to see better!
You can have the best pump in the world but the diffuser's are often overlooked, its Micropore all the way.

Does anybody know the optimal micron bubble size for max DO infusion(at optimal temp), another point overlooked?

Those Micropore air diffusers are a great tip mate & really do look the " Snizz " . One thing U'll love about that Medo japonese koi fish pump is how silent it runs in the room. Make no mistake tho , the smallest model @ $225 us , is a real powerhouse putting out aire thru 8 outlets with plenty of discharge even when stone is 20ft away. Hav had 2. Units running continuously mor or less for nearly 5 yrs.

Hush hush quiet too....like a Lexus! ;)

Ps: also they run comparatively cool do to their design, hav seen some of these clunky piston types run so hot at the manifold u cud barely touch. What machine is going to last running that high temp? The one thing on the medo is I did use a little high tack contact cement in putting the rubber manifold onto the outlet, it did tend slip off , or a sinch clamp wud do it to but wasn't supplied.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Thanks everybody for your ideas
I am just wow, at how many log ons, replies...
all the tips are awesome

Scrogerman

Veteran
Those Micropore air diffusers are a great tip mate & really do look the " Snizz " . One thing U'll love about that Medo japonese koi fish pump is how silent it runs in the room. Make no mistake tho , the smallest model @ $225 us , is a real powerhouse putting out aire thru 8 outlets with plenty of discharge even when stone is 20ft away. Hav had 2. Units running continuously mor or less for nearly 5 yrs.

Hush hush quiet too....like a Lexus! ;)

Ps: also they run comparatively cool do to their design, hav seen some of these clunky piston types run so hot at the manifold u cud barely touch. What machine is going to last running that high temp? The one thing on the medo is I did use a little high tack contact cement in putting the rubber manifold onto the outlet, it did tend slip off , or a sinch clamp wud do it to but wasn't supplied.

Yean bro,
I was Running a Kam-Air70 40lpm at 2 meters(70lpm at 0m - i think), in a 60-70 litre Res it really did kick ass, 6 airstones(cheapo ones), my mate asked to buy it & i sold it to him(felt he needed it bad at the time), cost me £135 approx, sold it for £70 or £80. Not a Bad Pump(Compressor) but once the airstones got swammped by root mass they start to run Hot hot hot & a dedicated fan fixed the problem. The Medo is 10x better & very tempting, im gonna get one. Its only the Bubbles popping that makes the noise in my tote, cant get away from that. ive been trying to come up with ways to dampen the racket but no joy yet, Any Ideas man?
Those VHO Micro pore airstones, if you can call them stones, are bloody expensive but i think i'll end up getting 2 or 3, the Combo of the 2 would kick it for sure!
Cheers Bro k+! ;)

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
And ....if u ever have the need to aerate 1/4 to 100+ acre pond or lake ,
then u can go to this stage & go to these guys over at Hydro Logic !!
http://www.hydrologicproducts.com/airlift_xl_series.aspx

To be used up to depths of 35ft ....;)

airpod_xl_UnderWater.jpg