What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Aeration, Simple

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Not sure if you are aware of this but the "Water Fall Effect" is the best way to make sure your reservoir's water is full of air as well.
Notice when the water falling from a water fall hits the lake it's draining to the water and air mix and we see a white moist cloud like at the bottom of Niagra Falls.
This mixing of water and air is important So Here's an easy way with tools you already own:

Get your bucket or reservoir,
put your hose and nozzel on mist or whatever setting you think is best
let it run for 30minutes or as long as you like, over night if you prefer,
and wala, your water is airy as air can be in water.
If you add H2O2 then for the 30 minutes you should wait before adding nutrients to your reservoir then do your water fall for that period and you've wasted no time at all, two birds one stoner.
This might work for making teas as well, your nozzel is as good as an air stone, but have never tried making tea's this way? Anybody comment on tea making ability???????

Last edited:
Im going to setup a small aero cloner made from a tile grout bucket and lid, and an ultrasonic fogger. The fogger creates like a small fountain above it as well as the fog. You answered the question that i was thinking of the other day about it; "will the fogger aerate the water it sits in". I'm assuming that it would be the same sort of effect when a water pump is used in a larger aero tub pumping water through the mist jets, and dripping down into the water below.

Thankyou for the thread mate:yes:

Peace,

Tel...:wave:

Incognegro

Im going to setup a small aero cloner made from a tile grout bucket and lid, and an ultrasonic fogger. The fogger creates like a small fountain above it as well as the fog. You answered the question that i was thinking of the other day about it; "will the fogger aerate the water it sits in". I'm assuming that it would be the same sort of effect when a water pump is used in a larger aero tub pumping water through the mist jets, and dripping down into the water below.

Thankyou for the thread mate:yes:

Peace,

Tel...:wave:

Doing stuff like this is really only effective if you actually break the surface tension of the water, and the water gets properly circulated.

Think of the aeration of water the same way you would, with recirculation of air in a room...

B. Friendly, that is a good tip, but is really only practical if you're mixing nutes... for thriving plants, aeration should be constant IMO, stagnant water can cause a plethora of problems.Just my:2cents:

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
picture.php

Built a system years ago using the same principle for long term herbs/etc. Water pumps up into each cylinder from the main res, cascading out slots at the top back. Works so well I stopped using the air stones.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
15049new-system.jpg

I made this system that used the return into the center rez, about a foot and a half drop on both sides. These kinds of systems can really rock. Some people call them bio-buckets but I'd call it a high volume DWC.

S

staff11

ok you are not comprehending what I am saying
what you are blabering is completely unfounded
When water hits the surface of water it adds significant air to the water table.
So thanks but you don't know what your are talking about. Please see for your self by experience, I hate unfounded shit.
Sprry pal but experience is the only teacher.
Please do not post any further misinformation.
Sorry guys for this knob if you listened to him.

What?

FlaDankster

Veteran
I do alot of saltwater fishing so a livewell is a MUST to keep alot of live bait live and frisky,

I have been considering some thing of such with what i already have on hand.

A 750 GPH bilge pump and some PVC with a 45gl tote.

B.Friendly.........What you got goin there will work fairly decent at putting more oxygen into your water.

If you want more oxygen all you need is more pressure with a finer mist.A finer stream of water shooting back into the rez will catch MORE oxygen on it's way back in.

And if you use a bigger hose(not longer,thicker)you will get quite a bit more pressure which will in return create more of those lovely bubbles.

My thing is i don't know how my idea will work with making teas for microlife.

FD

FlaDankster

Veteran
15049new-system.jpg

I made this system that used the return into the center rez, about a foot and a half drop on both sides. These kinds of systems can really rock. Some people call them bio-buckets but I'd call it a high volume DWC.

I'm a dirt guy but must say thats a really nice set up there Japan.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Powerheads', back in the OG days someone was experimenting with powerheads as an alternative to airstones & was getting results too, last i saw anything of them but they looked very promising! Anyone, ?? i must of asked this about 4 times now since joining ICM last year!

I used to enjoy Tick & Nimby's grows on OG but i dont think it was either of them(i think not anyway)?

cyat

Veteran
B.Friendly,
I use a tee on my pump to circulate/oxygenate my rez. I capped it and drilled small holes for more bubbles. It is basicly creating a waterfall effect w/out needing a drop. Japan, Very nice work! Rdwc w/ no airstones works best for me.

Attachments

• res bubbling.jpg
    res bubbling.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • res action.jpg
    res action.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 6

Scrogerman

Veteran
Powerheads.....those the little deal for fish tanks or am i way off?

Yeah, check em out man, completlely silent compared to airstones. just do a search bro, im always looking for stealth & rig improvements & this is one of them, i was thinking of halfing the lpm output of my airpump & adding a powerhead(a combo) im sure a major reduction in db's would be observed", i remember it was working well on overgrow whoever it was using(pioneering) them. certainly got my attention. Who uses O2 test strips? are they any good, £5 a go i wanna make sure they are worth paying for.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Not sure if you are aware of this but the "Water Fall Effect" is the best way to make sure your reservoir's water is full of air as well.
Notice when the water falling from a water fall hits the lake it's draining to the water and air mix and we see a white moist cloud like at the bottom of Niagra Falls.
This mixing of water and air is important So Here's an easy way with tools you already own:

Get your bucket or reservoir,
put your hose and nozzel on mist or whatever setting you think is best
let it run for 30minutes or as long as you like, over night if you prefer,
and wala, your water is airy as air can be in water.
If you add H2O2 then for the 30 minutes you should wait before adding nutrients to your reservoir then do your water fall for that period and you've wasted no time at all, two birds one stoner.
This might work for making teas as well, your nozzel is as good as an air stone, but have never tried making tea's this way? Anybody comment on tea making ability???????

From the pic it looks like you are using PVC garden hose in a Hydro system ?

That is a total no no my friend, the low pH of Hydro solutions will leach plasticisers from the PVC hose, you should use the hard black uPVC hose sold in Hydro shops.

uPVC = UNPLASTICISED Polyvinyl chloride

PVC = Polyvinyl chloride

Most PVC you find is PVC not uPVC, they add plasticisers to soften the material and give it a load more uses and colours. Some soft hose is "silicone" and meant to be OK, but I just stick to the hard black hose, you will never get a problem.

Pumping water back into a reservoir always seemed to be a better way of oxygenating than poxy airstones and vibrating air pumps, on NFT systems. I like to intercept the feed line with a T piece, then a tap to regulate the "tapped off" flow as it gushes back into the Reservoir. You can then control the flow in your channels, the excess just shoots back into the system oxygenating it.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Nice Advice Chaos on the uPVC, thats pretty important shit right there bro! N1 ;)

ive never had a problem with the silicon airline in my res's btw. (but noted)