What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
I have a bad habit of getting sidetracked and I want to reestablish a few things and get back on point.
I’ve been consuming cannabis almost daily since 1975 but I started a year or two before that so let’s just say 40 years. During that time like a lot of folks I had good weed, bad weed and then there was the spectacular weed. Unfortunately for me there was much more mediocre then good and very little truly spectacular cannabis during these past four decades. I have had very good Mexican, with a clear clean memorable effect, I’ve had Thai that was so strong and trippy it was acid like, I’ve sampled Hawaiian that was better than a Hawaiian vacation. But the one that stood out from all the best, the one that changed my life and brought me where I am today is Colombian. A million words and a thousand pictures simply cannot describe how this particular arrangement of cannabis affects me. No other cannabis compares, sure some come close but none equal or surpass. The Colombian of the past brought me to Colombia but the Cannabis I found keeps me here forever. My brothers you are cultivators of the highest degree taking the plant to a level the world has ever seen before but until you have experienced what I have found here you can only speculate. Words and pictures only give you a fragment of her true beauty and awesome power. You can grow her seed under the most powerful cutting edge lights and the best conditions there are but you will not see her true expression. She cannot be what she is if you take her from her home, she can only reach her true potential in her native environment. There is no doubt that her genetics are powerful, that with her you can create truly awesome strains and hybrids with her outside of Colombia but these are only shadows, reflections of her identity. Also when I talk about “her” I am not referring to the Colombian that was exported, I’m not refereeing field grown mass produced or even the elite Colombian of today. I what I am talking about hasn’t been seen by outsiders and even most Colombians have never seen her. This is a plant that has been cultivated in a unique micro climate for decades in an area so remote that it has never left. This my brothers is the plant I want to introduce you to, this is the plant that will change your life, this is the plant that will take you back. I want you to know what I know, I want you to feel what I feel.
Brace yourself.

Why the hype?

Sure outdoor grown herb a lot of times is better than indoor grown, i agree with that (though here in our climate it's other way round, indoor is almost always better). But when it comes to comparing different outdoor locations your words make no sense to me.

To claim that one particular ecological niche is superior to all others is, excuse me, very ignorant. Every niche has its own value and character, as long as climate allows plants to mature properly it's a matter of personal preference and i am sure just as many would claim that hawaii because of it's abundance of volcanic soil is a better niche than colombia for example. Also the best herb gets boring if you have no variety to choose from.

While the finest colombian genetics grown in their "natural" (what's natural? it's been brought there by man as well, as has been pointed out in this very thread) environment sure are a prime example of cannabis, the phenotypic expressions of other environments may be no less desirable...

Have you seen the mangobiches bushweed grew downunder?

Hiya Charlie, I love this Mangobiche hombre, what superb Mango smells I'm getting off this bush. Very vigorous too, branches literally fighting with each other for space. I lost the middle out of it due to dry weather and it being too isolated for me to get water to, but look at it it's still a f...en beast. I'm going to keep growing these girls. I can't believe there's not more people growing this gem, structurally and aromatically this is a ready made super strain. If I was a medical grower looking for quality + yield, I'd cross it to some Skunk or Chemdog and dominate the Norcal growing scene...

View Image
View Image
View Image

Seems like haze traits to me too...
:tiphat:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6377277&postcount=170

I really enjoy your posts, but i don't see the need for superlative? (other than marketing, but marketing comes after you have a product i would think :D )

Last edited:

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Your are right, forget what I wrote. I can't expect more. I retract all.

i hope you take no offence red rider :) i truely appreciate your posts here!

i may have over reacted a little :D i fear i have read one too many posts hyping the dankest (doesn't dank mean "uncomfortably wet" btw?) og glush cookies.

i feel your love for colombian herb and have a lot of respect for your dream and really hope it becomes a reality :)

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would like to say farewell to all the great people here! I've got work to do. Adiós de Colombia!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Why the hype?

Everyone who has smoked a wide variety of weed eventually comes across "the one" that hits them just right. For me it was Thai Stick. For Red Rider, it is Colombian. It has kept me smoking weed, slogging through the mediocre, always on the hunt for the special experience again, though even plain old good weed is not bad.
:biggrin:

It seems to me, not many of the younger generation have had so much variety as there was back in the 60s, 70's, and early 80's. There is no way to explain it, you have to experience it.

Keep on Trucking Red... you already knew there are many who don't understand. That is the reason you are doing this thread in the first place, no?

ThaiBliss

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I said I wasn’t going to post any more, but I’m still cleaning my desk out so I want to clarify that I have no hard feelings towards anyone and I really enjoy telling my stories and posting progress about my activities in Colombia. However (this is great) I received some very good news this morning and finally my dream is being initiated. But for obvious security reasons I must stop posting information and details about this project. And where I will be going there is no internet. So you have heard my story know my dream and in closing I can honestly say this story has only just begun.
red rider

living things can thrive in a certain area and really only seem superior when grown or bred harvested in that area.i dont think redryder is saying you cant grow good columbian anywhere else but columbia.i think for him the columbian he tried, grown in that area is what brings him back to his youth and does it for him.think about this.eat a lobster from maine water and then try one from the gulf coast of usa.they wont taste the same.thats the enviroment that causes it,an most folks would agree that maine lobsters are better.sometimes something from one part of the world may seem superior to any where else.an it may in fact be true for a lot of folks.i dig your stories redryder!

Koondense

Veteran
Good luck red rider with your endeavours, please come back when you can. It's been a great pleasure reading your stories and thoughts.

hasta luego

bigAl25

Veteran
All the best red rider, and I have a few organic soil pot awaiting some of the Colombian gems you come up with. Peace and respect.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cause of paranoia (this time)
Usually I don’t get paranoid very often but recently I went to the “post office” to send out a few seeds. I haven’t been there for years but I have sent seed out from there before. Never had a problem before. This post office (the only one I know of) has no boxes to drop off letters anonymously, you have to give it to a worker behind a little window. This is a big place too maybe 10 windows. So I get in line and when it’s my turn the dude takes my letter with 50 or so seeds carefully packaged in it. The throws it on a scale for the postage. It’s like 5,000 pesos and as I hand him the money then he starts feeling the envelope and asks me what’s in it. I already fill a declaration form out on it stating “flower seeds” for content. So I go with that and calls another guy over and they start talking looking at me fondling the envelope. Then the official looking guy tells me sending drugs through the mail is punishable by 5 years in prison. I respond with “their flower seeds not drugs”, and he tells me they have dogs and an x-ray machine and if I’m lying it will add more jail time. Then he tears open the envelope and empties the sealed seeds out. Now I’m freaking out, I try my best to remain cool but I can feel the sweat dripping on my face. The way the seeds were packaged they looked like dope and cut the tape off and spilled the seed out, suddenly there’s two armed security guards standing behind me. The window guy looked at the seeds then at me and I said flower seeds no drugs. He looks for a second like he doesn’t know then the other guys says those are marijuana seeds. I said no no just tropical flower seeds. He looks again and scoops the envelope and seeds into the trash bin saying I can’t send those. I said give them back and the money for the postage (passed paranoia and getting pissed). He gives me this look and says no refund on the damaged post and if I want the seeds I can ask the cops for them. I said thank you and quickly exited the building less some of my best seed. Got home and smoked a nice joint and started thinking about the address on the envelope and the paranoia kicked in big time. Almost killed the plants in the house and threw away my brand new bag of crippy before the wife stopped me. She thought I was crazy and said they don’t know where we live and they don’t care about seeds. Now I feel really stupid.

bigherb

Veteran
RR

Now it all makes sense your recent post . Lolzz some luck

Great news brother I'm very happy for you . I hope this finca or location is vast fertile n discreet . I know safety comes first but I hope there is some form of updates . Remember pic editing would make it possible to only show plants n no background

Thanks again for sharing your good bad and ugly stories . I'm thankful that you have opened up soo vividly in this thread . You are sharing more than just amazing pics of lumbo but your life which is special

You are appreciated

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
Raco

Always great to see those gems you hold

Have you ran punto rojo or Mangobiche from CBG ?

1luvbigherb

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aye, a bit harsh on the guy for loving Columbia :p As said, everyone has "their" weed they remember and love forever, it's the same with women.

There is something to be said for acclimitization and terroir. Hell, up here, it's not uncommon to mention merrior when talking about seafood. Every place has a flavour. This concept usually doesn't sit right with indoor enthusiasts.

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Aye, a bit harsh on the guy for loving Columbia :p As said, everyone has "their" weed they remember and love forever, it's the same with women.

There is something to be said for acclimitization and terroir. Hell, up here, it's not uncommon to mention merrior when talking about seafood. Every place has a flavour. This concept usually doesn't sit right with indoor enthusiasts.

Terroir is just the term we have been looking for in this debate, thanks. I am fully aware of the uniqueness of the colombian terroir and have certainly no objection to red rider saying that he likes it better than anything else. But once it gets transferred from being a personal truth to an universal truth objection is bound to come up.

Come on, really? Posting on a canna forum that "x" is better than any herb anybody else has ever tried and is actually better than anything anybody could ever breed from the same genetics might be stirring the pot a little?

My brothers you are cultivators of the highest degree taking the plant to a level the world has ever seen before but until you have experienced what I have found here you can only speculate. Words and pictures only give you a fragment of her true beauty and awesome power. You can grow her seed under the most powerful cutting edge lights and the best conditions there are but you will not see her true expression. She cannot be what she is if you take her from her home, she can only reach her true potential in her native environment. There is no doubt that her genetics are powerful, that with her you can create truly awesome strains and hybrids with her outside of Colombia but these are only shadows, reflections of her identity. Also when I talk about “her” I am not referring to the Colombian that was exported, I’m not refereeing field grown mass produced or even the elite Colombian of today. I what I am talking about hasn’t been seen by outsiders and even most Colombians have never seen her. This is a plant that has been cultivated in a unique micro climate for decades in an area so remote that it has never left. This my brothers is the plant I want to introduce you to, this is the plant that will change your life, this is the plant that will take you back. I want you to know what I know, I want you to feel what I feel.
Brace yourself.

But if i came off harsh in my response i'm very sorry and want to apologize for it. I was actually feeling quite mellow at the time (having just vaped some of my favorite red snake plant) and surely didn't post to cause trouble :)

Everyone who has smoked a wide variety of weed eventually comes across "the one" that hits them just right. For me it was Thai Stick. For Red Rider, it is Colombian. It has kept me smoking weed, slogging through the mediocre, always on the hunt for the special experience again, though even plain old good weed is not bad.
:biggrin:

It seems to me, not many of the younger generation have had so much variety as there was back in the 60s, 70's, and early 80's. There is no way to explain it, you have to experience it.

Keep on Trucking Red... you already knew there are many who don't understand. That is the reason you are doing this thread in the first place, no?

ThaiBliss

Greetings Thaibliss :)

Well i haven't been at it as long as you oldtimers, but i dare say i had the chance to try a few different varieties...

"The One" for me is the cannabis plant itself. Not every strain is right for every occasion, but there is the right one for every occasion - that's the beauty of cannabis for me! Such a versatile plant, it's amazing. In my opinion a non bottlenecked population of cannabis carries such a wide array of genetic possibilities that you can breed for any desirable trait in any such population. Sure some traits are easier to breed for with some populations, but essentially it's all there you just need to uncover it.

I feel blessed to say that i have found quite a few "the ones" for a lot of different occasions, i love all of them :)

good vibes!