What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You know for years I’ve read online that Santa Marta Gold was actually an indica imported from Afghanistan by Colombian drug lords to create a “super weed” for export. When I’ve grown it out it grew like an equatorial sativa and the effect is nothing like a traditional indica. Do you guys think there’s any truth in that? Do you think it started as an indica and “acclimated” into a long flowering sativa over the years? What is your opinion about this exotic treat?

Not a chance, the DNA says they are not related.
Columbian originated from India or Africa, NLD varieties.
Most African originated from Indian or Asian NLD varieties.
NLD, or "Sativa" Narrow Leaf Drug varieties.
Vs the WLD, Wide Leaf Drug varieties, "Indica" found in Afghanistan and the surrounding areas. There are also WLH, Wide Lead Hemp and NLH, Narrow Leaf Hemp, but Columbian is a drug variety.
-SamS

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What? High times clearly states SMG is an indica from Afghanistan so it must be true! Just kidding, it's obviously a NLD in it's growth and effect. The only strains here that have WLD genetics are the Crippy which is an obvious hybrid and prevalent. Thanks Sam for the factual DNA evidence.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yesterday I was talking to one of my younger Colombian friends that I feel is trustable about my dream and he brought up some variables that are worthy of consideration.

Even though he is a casual smoker the overall public opinion of cannabis is not sociality acceptable at all. It is really despised and looked down upon and as such even if eventually legalized it could be very difficult to be involved with a canna business here.

2nd traditional cannabis cultivation regions here are controlled by local gangs or mafia and they might consider my tiny operation a competition that needs to be eliminated.

3rd even if legalized cannabis is a very lucrative commodity and as such could be subject to murderous thieves and or even corrupt police and military.

My friend has some very valid points, however there are remedies that can and will be applied the risk factor is still very obvious. So if it seems that it’s taking a long time to get this project underway please try to remember I have many obstacles to overcome before the seed can even meet the soil.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Heres some vintage Gold Colombian from 1978
All NLD
picture.php

B

Bob Green

Not a chance, the DNA says they are not related.
NLD, or "Sativa" Narrow Leaf Drug varieties.
Vs the WLD, Wide Leaf Drug varieties, "Indica" found in Afghanistan and the surrounding areas. There are also WLH, Wide Lead Hemp and NLH, Narrow Leaf Hemp, but Columbian is a drug variety.
-SamS

And so the DNA answers begin! So the stories of slaves from Africa bringing seeds to the Americas is most likely true. I wonder if th stuff coming out of Oaxaca and the rest of southern Mexico came from Africa/India as well?

I agree with Red that the best herb smoked through out the world will be grown in the old sweet spots. Oaxaca, Columbia, Caribian, Brazil, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, India, Nepal, Sumatra, all over Africa.

I think the big problem with growing in Columbia post Canna legalization will still be dealing with drug lords, and political conflict. I do not see cocain joining legal Herb any time soon. The drug war will rage on long after I can buy an ounceof legal herb from our friend Red Rider. But I for damn sure want to try some of his Columbian goods!

Awesome herb, and crazy Latinas eh? Sounds like we have quite a bit in common.

Good luck on your hunt for new flavors, and a safe spot to test them all out.

Reminds me of what Bushweed is doing for Thai strains in Oz.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
colombia vs columbia : Common Errors in English

colombia vs columbia : Common Errors in English

I sure don't want to offend anyone and I apologize in advance, however I do teach English so I thought I might pass this on to everyone.

Although both are named after Columbus, the US capital is the District of Columbia, whereas the South American country is Colombia.

Colombia Meaning(s)
(n) a republic in northwestern South America with a coastline on the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea; achieved independence from Spain in 1821 under the leadership of Simon Bolivar; Spanish is the official language

Columbia Meaning(s)
(n) a North American river; rises in southwestern Canada and flows southward across Washington to form the border between Washington and Oregon before emptying into the Pacific; known for its salmon runs in the spring
(n) a town in west central Tennessee
(n) capital and largest city in South Carolina; located in central South Carolina
(n) a university town in central Missouri
(n) a university in New York City

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This was written last August

This was written last August

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has announced his support for a law that would legalize the medical use of marijuana. The law was presented two weeks ago in Congress by Senator Juan Manuel Galán, whose father was killed by the drug cartels. “We’re in favor of his initiative for the medicinal and therapeutic use of marijuana,” the president said at a forum on drugs in Bogotá on Thursday. Santos said the proposal was a “compassionate” measure that would help reduce pain for many terminally ill patients and would be a way to “begin removing criminals as the middle men between the patients and the substance that will allow them to alleviate their suffering.”

Galán’s proposal has opened a debate about whether Colombia is ready to take this next step. The senator is the son of the 1989 presidential candidate, Luis Carlos Galán, who was killed by the cartels. He pressed for the passing of a law that recognizes drug addiction as a disease. Now, he wants to regulate the medical use of cannabis. His proposal is based on studies from the United States National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), which say that marijuana is less addictive than alcohol and caffeine.

The measure calls for Colombia to create its own regulatory model. Galán does not want to import one. “It’s essential that we recognize the particular characteristics of our country, the epidemiological profile of our residents, the conditions for planting and domestic production and the recent statistics on young consumers in order to develop our own model, based on clinical and scientific data collected here.” The congressman defends his legislative initiative by saying that the use of marijuana to alleviate pain has “humanitarian” consequences.

Even so, conservatives and the Church say the law would open the gates to the legalization of all drugs and contradict decades of struggle in which many have died. Senator Alfredo Rangel of the Centro Democrático party said Colombia was a long way from having a culture of responsible consumption and drug use may actually go up. Others talk of potential “side effects.”

Besides backing the therapeutic use of marijuana, Santos insisted on broadening the debate on the war on drugs. The Colombian president said the war has not been successful, comparing it to riding an exercise bike. “You make a huge effort, you sweat, but then you look to the left, you look both sides and everything is the same or sometimes worse. It does not matter how hard you work, how you move, the business goes on. The scourge does not disappear.” Colombia’s relative success in this fight, he said, has pushed “the spiral of violence and the corruption associated with the problem of illicit drugs into other countries.”

The president called for a new strategy on the fight against drugs, one in which Colombia has “the moral authority” to participate because of its own struggle with drug trafficking. “We need – and when I say ‘we need’ I mean the entire world needs – a new strategy.”

Opinion leaders in Colombia agree that the war on drugs has failed. According to a recent study by the group Fundación Ideas para la Paz, 69 percent of those interviewed said the anti-drug measures have failed. Only eight percent saw them as a success. The great majority wants reform and most of them favor legalization and government control.

Good news

The Revolution

Veteran
You know for years I’ve read online that Santa Marta Gold was actually an indica imported from Afghanistan by Colombian drug lords to create a “super weed” for export. When I’ve grown it out it grew like an equatorial sativa and the effect is nothing like a traditional indica. Do you guys think there’s any truth in that? Do you think it started as an indica and “acclimated” into a long flowering sativa over the years? What is your opinion about this exotic treat?

Ive grown several hybrids that were polar opposite that you wouldnt even know they were hybridized. For example, the old timers haze x afghani, I grew look like a pure haze. There was no afghani expressions to be found. She flowered 20+ weeks, thin wispy flowers with super thin bladed leaves. There were no observable Afghanistan traits in any of the seeds I had grown. If the breeder wouldn't have informed me it was a hybrid I would have never known. I believe this is just genetic dominance and I've observed this in many hybrids of older, particularly, landrace and old world varieties.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you feel like we do?

Do you feel like we do?

As my dream is rapidly becoming reality, I want to say a few things about it. Please mark my words so if something changes in the future you can correct me. I don't want to ever become a big commercialized company who's objective is money. I don't want to compete with anyone in Colombia or anywhere else in the world. In fact I want to be very small (locally unknown), our product very special and very limited. The core of my dream is to produce the finest Colombian cannabis from my youth and without altering the genetic composition improve it. I want this cannabis to instantly remind those who remember it and introduce those that have only heard about it. I want this to be very nostalgic, special and never inflate the price. This rare cannabis is not intended for the masses.

Remember I said this

ive read that the spanish when they were exploring (converting the natives)in mexico in the 1500s they brought cannabis seeds with them and spread the hemp around.if this is true then wouldnt those genetics in mexico have originated in northern africa or europe?it could be bullshit but the spanish were known for exporting and importing all kinds of shit back an forth over the ocean when they were checking out the world they thought was new even though folks had been living there for thousands of years.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good point

Good point

ive read that the spanish when they were exploring (converting the natives)in mexico in the 1500s they brought cannabis seeds with them and spread the hemp around.if this is true then wouldnt those genetics in mexico have originated in northern africa or europe?it could be bullshit but the spanish were known for exporting and importing all kinds of shit back an forth over the ocean when they were checking out the world they thought was new even though folks had been living there for thousands of years.

I've read that the Spaniards did indeed import European hemp to the new world but were unsuccessful cultivating it in Colombia. I don't know why, could it be that after several generations the hemp "acclimated" into a drug strain. Is that even possible? I can't remember where I read it (maybe I only thought I did) but after several generations drug strains grown wild at northern latitudes would convert to hemp. Is there any truth to this?

Also most of the commercial Mexican I had in the 70s was hemp.

thats wicked funny my pops said that one time that the mexican bud would be so shitty he called it hemp.once in awhile it was good but the columbian and hawawian were his fav.he talked about acapulco gold being good but not as good as columbian.

B

Bob Green

I have heard that the big cigar companies like Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta that work in Cuba and other places like the Dominican Republic start new Cuban seed in the other countries they grow in every four years. A lot of those places are right next to each other but just dont have the same micro climate that makes Cuba have the best seeds around.

These next few years in Cannabis history will be amazing times. The return of the landrace imports with a modern grow/cure twist.

I hope I live to see the day!

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember my first lid ($10) five fingers too was really bad. I didn't know the difference though and bragged to my friends about it. After you cleaned all the stems and immature seeds you might have had a 1/4 oz of smoke able stuff. And we never smoked just one joint, after 3 or 4 huge joints you were lucky to catch a buzz (more likely a headache). Later any Mexican that was even slightly good was sold as Acapulco gold (even if it was brown). And until Hawaiian came to town anything green in color was considered low quality and undesirable . For me the Mexican really improved in the 80s with Mexican red hair sinsemilla that was seedless and not compressed. To this day I've had many types and strains and nothing (even Thai or Hawaiian) compare to a really well grown high altitude Colombian, not even close. You'll see!

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran

I have a new and interesting theory on the Cannabis introduction into America yet to be confirmed. I've found out some revealing information when researching a bit on Mangifera Indica's history, another crop I'm very passionated for. I think the diffusion of this exotic fruit can be uses as a model to Cannabis somehow.

Both species were a big part of the Indian culture and also originated around the same geographical areas. Mango was spread all over the world afterwards by the man too, first all over East Asia from India and then into Philippines (from where it spreaded all over SE Asia) and East Africa by arab traders. Then, the Portuguese traders introduced it into their west african colonies (Mozambique, Guinea and Angola) and also into South America when they moved thousands of slave to work in the flourishing sugar plantations, Brazil was another portuguese colony in the 16th century.

The Spanish traders introduced as well the mangos into Mexico, most probably through the Galleon of Manila routes. There was an intensive trading happening between Mexico and Manila (Philippines) during that time (between 17th and 19th century. Veracruz, Acapulco and Chiappas wer hotspots. From there, it could have been spread all over the Caribbean too.

manila_galleon_routes1.jpg

Another interesting thing is that as opposed to cannabis, many DNA researches were carried already with this fruit, as it's been an important global crop and thoroughly studied. This researches demonstrated the Indian and SE Asian origin of the very common and renowned Mexican mango cultivars "Ataulfo" and "Manila", named after its Philippino origin of course.

We also know that cannabis was introduced in Jamaica and West Indies by the indian indentoured labourers who went there to work in the sugar fields and so on. So we have 3 different possibe sources for Cannabis NLDs in the Americas back then.

I bet one finger that the upcoming Cannabis DNA researches will support this theories and will find SE Asian and indian genes in all those cannabis landraces, after all, we already know that Cannabis NLDs were spread by the man as well and followed a very similar diffusion route.

Funny as well, is the fact that all this mango cultivars were brought into Florida many years ago where bred with other imported Indian cultivars (like the Mulgoba) and become the foundation of the commercial mango hybrids from nowadays, most originated in USA then (Haden, Osteen, Kent, Keitt, Tommy Atkins, Glenn, etc). Does this story ring anyone's bell? Just change Florida for California and give it a thought! :biggrin:

Vibes. :tiphat:

P.S:

Mangifera indica L. originated in a region including the north-eastern part of India (Assam), the western part of Myanmar, and Bangladesh. The mango was domesticated in this region and has been cultivated in India for 4000 years. Cultivation spread first to Malaysia and South-East Asia, supposedly expanded by Buddhist monks. Purseglove suggested that Phoenicians and Arabs spread the crop from India to East-Africa where it has been cultivated since the Xth century. According to Mukherjee (1997), the global spread of mango outside its original centres of domestication probably did not occur until the beginning of the European voyages of the XVth and XVIth centuries, when the Portuguese took the mango to West-Africa and from there to Brazil at the beginning of the XVIIIth century, and when the Spanish introduced polyembryonic mango types from The Philippines to Central America through the Pacific trading ports of Mexico and Panama.

In the West Indies, the first introduction reported was to Barbados during the XVIIIth century, then to Jamaica where it was obtained from a French ship plying between Mauritius and Haiti, highlighting the role of French traders in introducing the crop to the West Indies. During this period it is probable that all English, Spanish, French and Dutch, who were fighting over the Caribbean dominion, played an active part in spreading the mango throughout the region.

Since the thriving galleon trade between New Spain and the Philippines first brought seedlings of the Manila mango to Acapulco more than 200 years ago, Mexico has gradually made the fruit its own.

It now wants to officially adopt the name – but the Philippine government is fighting for custody.

The so-called Manila Galleon ("Nao de China" or "Nao de Acapulco") brought porcelain, silk, ivory, spices, and myriad other exotic goods from China to Mexico in exchange for New World silver. (It is estimated that as much as one-third of the silver mined in New Spain and Peru went to the Far East.)

On the return leg, the precious Asian wares traveled across the Pacific, via the Philippines (colonized by Spain in the late sixteenth century), to Acapulco on Mexico's west coast. They then crossed Mexico overland for shipment to Spain.

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050619/news_1n19mangoes.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_galleon

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Mustafunk,

This theory makes total sense to me. There are very high quality and powerful Mexican strains. They became rare after commercialization, just like what happened in Colombia and Jamaica. Colombian was the exotic and high quality weed source, and in less than 5 years time, most from Colombian turned bad. High quality was still available, but the bad Colombian flooded the market, replacing the bad Mexican. When I started smoking, 45 years ago, Mexican was already the commercialized and exploited product.

I met a Mexican national that grew up near Acapulco. The town owed its existence to the fact that there was a good port and land route over to the Caribbean. One of the first stops of this route on the Caribbean side were Jamaica, Cuba, and Haiti, with routes down south (Colombian) after that.

I believe S.E. Asian weed, including Indian, had a big influence on western strains, especially Mexican and Jamaican, just like almost everywhere else in the world. There is something different about Colombian strains though. I believe there is some other major influence there. I'm speculating solely based on the character of the highs from these areas I detected while growing up and smoking these strains over the last 45 years.

ThaiBliss

C

charlie garcia

Leaf colors of most local weed in Colombia are of an intense green except northern.
Upon old friend Chaman's opinion (thread in Costa Rica https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=25174 ) about some of his seeds grown here, these are gold x red mixed but still showing clear differences between phenos. Gold went to Christmas here, too long for sample them well then. It showed also some early purple colorations. Pics are 10 years old aprox
Some of the present "mona" from sta marta shows hybridation signs in this case. Plenty of "cafuche" as well, low quality and very cheap in the country.
best
kaiki

Attachments

• DSCN5156 Colombia.jpg
    DSCN5156 Colombia.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 6 DSCN6061 Colombia.jpg
    6 DSCN6061 Colombia.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN4864 Colombia Gold.jpg
    DSCN4864 Colombia Gold.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2 DSCN6069 Colombia.jpg
    2 DSCN6069 Colombia.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3 DSCN6161 Columbian stem.jpg
    3 DSCN6161 Columbian stem.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 5 P1050789santamarta.jpg
    5 P1050789santamarta.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 19

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a bad habit of getting sidetracked and I want to reestablish a few things and get back on point.
I’ve been consuming cannabis almost daily since 1975 but I started a year or two before that so let’s just say 40 years. During that time like a lot of folks I had good weed, bad weed and then there was the spectacular weed. Unfortunately for me there was much more mediocre then good and very little truly spectacular cannabis during these past four decades. I have had very good Mexican, with a clear clean memorable effect, I’ve had Thai that was so strong and trippy it was acid like, I’ve sampled Hawaiian that was better than a Hawaiian vacation. But the one that stood out from all the best, the one that changed my life and brought me where I am today is Colombian. A million words and a thousand pictures simply cannot describe how this particular arrangement of cannabis affects me. No other cannabis compares, sure some come close but none equal or surpass. The Colombian of the past brought me to Colombia but the Cannabis I found keeps me here forever. My brothers you are cultivators of the highest degree taking the plant to a level the world has ever seen before but until you have experienced what I have found here you can only speculate. Words and pictures only give you a fragment of her true beauty and awesome power. You can grow her seed under the most powerful cutting edge lights and the best conditions there are but you will not see her true expression. She cannot be what she is if you take her from her home, she can only reach her true potential in her native environment. There is no doubt that her genetics are powerful, that with her you can create truly awesome strains and hybrids with her outside of Colombia but these are only shadows, reflections of her identity. Also when I talk about “her” I am not referring to the Colombian that was exported, I’m not refereeing field grown mass produced or even the elite Colombian of today. I what I am talking about hasn’t been seen by outsiders and even most Colombians have never seen her. This is a plant that has been cultivated in a unique micro climate for decades in an area so remote that it has never left. This my brothers is the plant I want to introduce you to, this is the plant that will change your life, this is the plant that will take you back. I want you to know what I know, I want you to feel what I feel.
Brace yourself.