What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical LED Marijuana Grow

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I am sitting here working on my led vert ideas and a few things are making me scratch my head a bit and wanted to get others opinions on it.

I can see the benefits of turning an hps or any bulb for that matter vertical because you would get the benefit of 360 degrees of light.

Now with leds they are very directional and I keep coming to the conclusion that growing the regular style is actually going to be better overall for LEDs and not seeing any particular benefit to trying a vert led run.

In a 4x8 how would you setup the panels?

have all the panels towards the middle shining OUT

have the panels on all the corners shining IN

I just keep going back to horizontal led growing makes more sense simply due to the leds diodes inability to give that 360 degree of light that benefits the hps bulb when going vertical.

what are your thoughts all you led heads.

I honestly think setting things up on a light moving making far more sense than going vertical with LEDs. Anyone think going vert would produce better yields with led panels compared to setting them up on a light mover?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i thought of getting a few of the long light bar LED's and stand them up tall ways hung from the ceiling. either 3 in a triangle or 4 in a box. would get kinda pricey but it would do work i bet. i had plans to do one some time in the future when the funds are ready. for now i have a spare 600 laying around to try my first vert...

medmaker420

Veteran
i thought of getting a few of the long light bar LED's and stand them up tall ways hung from the ceiling. either 3 in a triangle or 4 in a box. would get kinda pricey but it would do work i bet. i had plans to do one some time in the future when the funds are ready. for now i have a spare 600 laying around to try my first vert...

right on

yeah vert with hps is a blast

I have done stadium grows as well as used light movers in vertical grows and they were all a ton of fun.'
'
just watch your head working around multiple 1k bulbs HAHA man do they hurt against bare skin

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
My setup is:

The main panel in the center (delivering max 285W) and two led bars on each side (each running at 64W). When I tool the picture bellow, the bars were installed with the LEDs facing the floor, but shortly after I changed their angle to ~45 degrees, pacing the center of the screens and this give a much better penetration into the canopy.

picture.php

picture.php

L.E. Current run --> https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=247594

picture.php

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
the 4 foot arrays are the way to go for LED vertical... you will just need 4-6 of each unit...

pricey indeed...

these come to mind off the top of my head.
welthink
hgl
lumigrow
ti smartbar
htg
maybe even eshine

i would love to see someone do a LED VERT...

if someone hasn't done it by the end of 2014, i will :D

thats about when i would have room for that... :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
hey medmaker,
i have thought about this configuration before.

just wanted to see if we were thinking along the same lines... what i have in mind is 4-6 units all in the center and backed up to a center point? this would provided light in a 360° configuration.

HGL actually makes one like this in 1 piece, not that i endorse that company...

i am about to setup a little micro grow and wouldn't have the space for a vert grow for some time as mentioned, so would love to see a vert led grow from you. it would be a first i believe :dance013:

:tiphat:

oneshot

hey medmaker,

just wanted to see if we were thinking along the same lines... what i have in mind is 4-6 units all in the center and backed up to a center point? this would provided light in a 360° configuration.

i am about to setup a little micro grow and wouldn't have the space for a vert grow for some time as mentioned, so would love to see a vert led grow from you. it would be a first i believe :dance013:

This is what I was referring too when I mentioned getting 4 Lumibars

medmaker420

Veteran
hey medmaker,

back in the dr chronic ***** days I remember helping cammie with that vert design ie the 420 vert led light. Glad she got it out and about but yes not a company I support at all. I learned LONG AGO what that woman is capable of and that is NOT a company I want to buy from lol. Not sure if you were around then but many of us were around when those first "test grows" of her panels were going on and there was a FIRESTORM in the comments and forums back then about leds.

Nowadays led companies get bashed pretty good but back then it was INSANE.

I did have a blast back then though because leds were brand new to the scene and all they had were the 1 watt diodes and remembering ledgirl griping about why 2w and 3w were inferior to her 1 watts. I wonder what watt diodes they are working with now hmnnnn LOL

Wow that took me down memory lane somehow. Never thought I would think back about cammie and actually be SMILING go figure...

now back on topic though,

I want to rig up a

4x8 grow tent vert wise.

I am almost tempted to toss a 600 hps in the middle and then put the panels on the 4 corners but I would love to keep this 100% led.

Another thought I had was to do a vertical / horizontal led grow where I had

X X X X
O O O O
X X X X

The X would be vertical panels mounted on all 4 corners angling in a bit for light spread.

The O would be VEG led panels to add more BLUE ( still ironing out which panels and what blues I want to use but still in the works )

medmaker420

Veteran
sure, i know the story of cammie, nuff said. reputation forever ruined imo...

look forward to more on you design and i would love to see 100% vert too...

i've already warned the guys over there :D

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=170502

I like that vert design and see the point but I also see the point in just having panels attached to the grow room or grow tents walls shining in at the plants.

What are your thoughts on the benefits of vertical even with their limited light spread versus horizontal?

GP73LPC

Veteran
most tend believe they provide bigger yields...

12/12 from clone, just like sog only vertical, more actual light on buds...

i dunno :dunno:, i am just guessing.

WeedIsGod

I don't see the point. There is no reflector that's killing an LED's efficiency like in an HID hood. Unless you're trying to retrofit LED's into a room built for vertical grows (and even then) I seriously doubt there's a benefit.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah since LEDs are directional; there is no need to figure out how to get the light from the 'top' of the fixture

but; since they are nice and low profile w/ no real clearance issues; it only seems logical to employ some vertical ~no reason not to have some from the top too

as far as a 'vertical fixture' goes? well; that kinda seems like a marketing strategy as much as anything ~ a donut or stadium grow just doesnt seem like the best application of the tech

{well; a donut which also featured light from above and around the grow-space might be a 'might as well try it'}

OTOH, side panels at slant or fixtures mounted vert to the wall? might as well try it

LED brings the option of 'intra-canopy' to the table as well ~something of a variation on vert

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Veteran
I don't see the point. There is no reflector that's killing an LED's efficiency like in an HID hood. Unless you're trying to retrofit LED's into a room built for vertical grows (and even then) I seriously doubt there's a benefit.

i think that is probably correct ^^^, but who knows for sure ?

medmaker420

Veteran

Exactly what I wonder, since I haven't done it yet I really don't know either BUT still something I assume.

I can still see hitting the leaves from the side being a great way to penetrate canopies especially with light sources that are considered inferior to more common options like hps for example.

Soon to find out assuming I can get this rigged up in a way that makes me SMILE :biggrin:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran

idk 4 sure either ~mostly want to drive the discussion a little

to me; thats a huge part of the draw ~discovery

and; 'outside the box' thinking! who was it that suggested a flat sheet w/ integrated emitters wrapped around the grow in a cone?

Latest posts

Latest posts