What's new

Vending to clubs, what is it like for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenoonez

Veteran
There is nothing wrong with making money and if the black market has the quality the Ds have then there is something wrong.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
One problem with vertical integration is that when you run a retail operation you need constant supply. It's not like being a pot dealer where you can just say 'tough luck, out of product'. In order to start up such an operation without using vendors I estimate it would take 2 years and at least 6 figures in working capital, probably something like a 1/4 $million.

But hey, isn't Richard Lee's Blue Sky vertically integrated? I never heard of a vendor accommodating them. I admit I never poked into that, so I could be wrong.

In order to run a truly non-profit operation getting contributors to cough up operating cash would go a long way. It should be doable so the contributions are tax deductible but I'm wondering if there's anyone that would be willing to give money to a righteous operation. My time in NORML left me jaded and cynical in this respect, as potheads are total fucking cheapskates in this regard. Just take a look at the pathetic operating budgets of NORML and MPP. Do people actually make any kind of significant contributions to WAMM without expecting anything in return other than that they provide medicine to the sick at low or no cost? Will I be 'raping' the patients if I hire a professional fundraiser to lower the cost of medicine? Take a look at the potential overhead in DC:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&minSqft=min&maxSqft=max

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSit...nd.apply(this, [this, object, inherit]); }#rr

Not only expensive, but there's only a few available. By this time next year I predict there won't be a fucking warehouse space available in the District, and the landlords will be laughing until they wet themselves (tip of the pin to Lou Reed).

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Something a grower should remember when visiting a dispensary is, they see a LOT of venders - prolly several new ones every week, so they get more practice at low ball offers and even if they miss - another will be by shortly. It's not a crime and I can't really blame the d's,,, I'd prolly choose higher profit when possible also.

Now as a grower - You get ONE SHOT to sell - or make the presentation.
Who stands a higher chance of success here?

Patients need to demand quality AND reasonable prices from dispensarys - because from my experience - dispensarys have no problem charging the same $60 to $75 an 1/8th for the bunk mids they buy at $100 an oz -- they do so because the customer lets them.

I look at dispensarys as a last ditch option to reduce inventory or sell myself short for quick capitol - kinda like pawn shops

And yes Virginia, when you come in with a smile and some outstanding bud, they will remember you.

So med-up and go visitin

before you need the money

people sense desperation. It's like blood in the water at the shark tank.

Didn't this thread get closed?

Last edited:

pugnacious

No need to respond. YOu think i dont know what i am talking about, but i know that im not gonna pay $60 an eighth, and i would not ever try to charge someone that much, especially if i was calling that person my patient. If you want to defend inflated dispensary prices, by saying its because the feds are busting people with over 99 plants, thats fine. I know lots of caregivers in Colorado that have over 99 plants. The only reason people are charging high prices, is because they are trying to make as much money as they can. Most people around Colorado are starting to grow their own, which is gonna cut out most dispensaries, especially when its only $45 an eighth on the black market .

You dont know wtf you are talking about. What I bolded out pretty much proves it.

You dont know about the price brackets for the level of quality. You think all the bud is being sold for 60 an 1/8. I promise you the meds we have for 35 an 1/8th at my D, can beat the shit out of your 45 an 1/8th. You come from a place where the DEA and LEO have barely done anything. You think your friends are safe from growing over 99 plants because there shielded by state law.

How about this..

You catch up on another 10 years in this field. Then come talk to me.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I don't know why so many are screaming about dispensary owners profits. I don't think anything should ever be price regulated whether low or high. The market CAN and WILL decide dispensary prices whether you believe it or not.

Legal or not, if a patient is able to locate a constant supply on the so called "black market" for far less then many will stop going to the clubs. There will always be the new patient who never had a solid hook up and will buy up the most expensive 8ths and smile doing it.

The clubs try and play the "high prices so there is no resell" but what I don't like about that is, those who have decent hook ups pay far less through their friends and those who don't have a hook up have no other option than to pay high ass dispensary prices. Those who need the meds and a source go to the clubs and I think 9/10 get it 100% for personal meds and MIGHT share with fellow patients but sure as hell isn't going in there to flip anything.

A simpler way to regulate the price would be a daily limit which many clubs do have in place already. Have it where they HAVE actual price breaks on larger quantities and either even with street prices BUT preferably lower. Someone can only get meds X amount of times per day to prevent straw purchases. Or check out their script and judge their weekly and or monthly allowance based on their requirements (if that is possible).

I just don't think prices NEED to be regulated one way or the other. Great businesses thrive with no oversight and making a profit whether you think non profits actually make NO PROFITS. I think anyone should be able to profit for their business efforts especially if there is a solid supply and demand market in their area.

The prices go up passed $60 8th nowadays. Let's say they went down to $40 8th for top shelf. Later on someone will bitch about that price and so on and so on. This stuff never stops and everyone has the story about how back in "fill in the blank with a previous year" bud was only $50 an ounce. You can say the same thing about gas, houses, cars and so on.

If you don't like the prices go somewhere else, if no one has the price you are looking for then you can either A. Grow Your Own or B. Locate a friend or fellow patient and go through him/her.

Another thing that could be done is for those growers who feel like they truly want to help patients can do the following.

Speak with a dispensary owner and show him a pound of quality that odds are will go for over $3,000 regularly. Tell him that you only want HALF the amount as long as he sells it for a maxing XX per 8th. Now not only does the dispensary owner take a cut in profits so does the grower and in the end helping out fellow patients.

I ramble, that bubba kush has been kicking my ass. There really isn't a ceiling on this stuff is there. If there is, I haven't hit it yet.

johnnyla

Veteran
I don't know why so many are screaming about dispensary owners profits. I don't think anything should ever be price regulated whether low or high. The market CAN and WILL decide dispensary prices whether you believe it or not.

Legal or not, if a patient is able to locate a constant supply on the so called "black market" for far less then many will stop going to the clubs. There will always be the new patient who never had a solid hook up and will buy up the most expensive 8ths and smile doing it.

The clubs try and play the "high prices so there is no resell" but what I don't like about that is, those who have decent hook ups pay far less through their friends and those who don't have a hook up have no other option than to pay high ass dispensary prices. Those who need the meds and a source go to the clubs and I think 9/10 get it 100% for personal meds and MIGHT share with fellow patients but sure as hell isn't going in there to flip anything.

A simpler way to regulate the price would be a daily limit which many clubs do have in place already. Have it where they HAVE actual price breaks on larger quantities and either even with street prices BUT preferably lower. Someone can only get meds X amount of times per day to prevent straw purchases. Or check out their script and judge their weekly and or monthly allowance based on their requirements (if that is possible).

I just don't think prices NEED to be regulated one way or the other. Great businesses thrive with no oversight and making a profit whether you think non profits actually make NO PROFITS. I think anyone should be able to profit for their business efforts especially if there is a solid supply and demand market in their area.

The prices go up passed $60 8th nowadays. Let's say they went down to $40 8th for top shelf. Later on someone will bitch about that price and so on and so on. This stuff never stops and everyone has the story about how back in "fill in the blank with a previous year" bud was only $50 an ounce. You can say the same thing about gas, houses, cars and so on.

If you don't like the prices go somewhere else, if no one has the price you are looking for then you can either A. Grow Your Own or B. Locate a friend or fellow patient and go through him/her.

Another thing that could be done is for those growers who feel like they truly want to help patients can do the following.

Speak with a dispensary owner and show him a pound of quality that odds are will go for over $3,000 regularly. Tell him that you only want HALF the amount as long as he sells it for a maxing XX per 8th. Now not only does the dispensary owner take a cut in profits so does the grower and in the end helping out fellow patients.

I ramble, that bubba kush has been kicking my ass. There really isn't a ceiling on this stuff is there. If there is, I haven't hit it yet.

anyone propping up prices to avoid diversion is a profiteer. everyone signs a legal document saying they agree not to divert for non medical purposes. i may be dumb, but i'm not stupid.

I think anyone should be able to profit for their business efforts especially if there is a solid supply and demand market in their area.

Yeah I've asked for 1/2. They look at me funny & depending on the time of the year they will say yes. (winter early spring it's "we don't have any money right now / we're stocked up", late spring to fall "yes").
They start at the agreed 100% mark up. Sometimes in a day or two when the stuff they grew/friend grew isn't selling, they just mark up the stuff I brought them.
This time of year lbs of commercial grade (like big bud or ok tw) go from 2000 to 2800 in Humboldt. It's only a few hours to the bay area.
If I owned a club I would buy as much as I could as cheep as I could durring "the flood" & pack it up for a few months. In the mean time I would double the price on consignment for regular vendors & for anyone who was trusting & didn't need money that day.
I don't understand why bay area clubs aren't selling decent meds for $35.00 an 8th this time of year. It is kinda price gouging.
If you're not desperate for the money and can store your extra meds, then take my advice & sit on them until march.

zenoonez

Veteran
no, not in and of it itself. but to only raise the price for that lame old excuse is wrong.

guns are bad when used for bad purposes, good when used for good.

I am not sure comparing a gun and profit is accurate. A business should charge the equilibrium between price/profit and volume/demand, not a cent lower nor higher. But to charge lower or higher I don't think is necessarily wrong in any moral sense.

johnnyla

Veteran
I am not sure comparing a gun and profit is accurate. A business should charge the equilibrium between price/profit and volume/demand, not a cent lower nor higher. But to charge lower or higher I don't think is necessarily wrong in any moral sense.

i never said it was wrong to charge.

i said it was wrong to charge more ....i.e. keep the price inflated above street level using the logic that "it is to deter diversion" for non medical purposes. i think i was pretty clear with what i was saying.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I've thought a lot about the diversion 'reasoning'. It's nothing more than being lazy, and yes, greedy. There are other ways to prevent diversion, and to deliver medicine to the sick at a cost lower than street price. But every single method requires more work, and produces less money. If someone asks for 4 ounces of top shelf and I'm charging street price or higher I can be pretty sure they're not going to divert it. If they do it's not going to be more than a one off occurrence. However if I'm charging 50% of street price in order to prevent diversion I have to either make sure they're sick like Angel Raich and really need to be buying that much, or to keep records because it is reasonable for someone to buy a 90 day supply.

But frankly, the entire argument stands on the premise that diversion is negative, and to be avoided. Frankly, I'm starting to think that may be a faulty premise. I've been thinking that there's nothing wrong with limited diversion in order to subsidize the cost for the indigent who are truly ill. Until the gov't steps up and starts subsidizing this medicine in the same way they subsidize other drugs (methadone is free!) it is just as righteous for a cancer patient to break that law in order to get their medicine as it is for a seriously ill patient in a non-med state to break the law in order to procure their medicine.

Price Will continue to Drop.....

Price Will continue to Drop.....

I really think right now prices are dropping because of the season and because there are too many dispensaries and as mentioned before people are growing there own now. I went to a shop with some bomb MT Cook and got a 38 offer lol.. I walked of course. We will all find out within a few months if the courts are going to uphold bans on dispensaries such as Anaheim Ca. The courts have allready ruled that cities can regulate dispensaries. I feel court action against dispensaries would only bring a temp slow down in the price drop. From what my lawyer tells me (and hes an activist for MMJ) There will be only wround 100 dispensaries in Los Angeles when all the hoopla is done. Im torn with the whole profit aspect of MMJ . In Nov when California passes Tax and regulate prices will drop . I know myself and many others are planning right now for when Nov passes. I really think the whole dispensary boom going on now in Los Angeles will fizzle out when Nov hits. Whatever happens with price , profit etc.. Im so happy were getting closer to recreational legalization and regulation. Peace

kingspade

so, back to topic, vending to clubs, and what it's like for you.
I read this whole thread, found some good info, but didn't really get what I was expecting.

I'm new to Colorado, and am just starting up as a caregiver.

What do you put your meds in when you sell to a dispensary? What kind of container? A pound bag, ounce jars, etc.
How do you do it, do you walk in with a pound in your backpack, or just bring em a couple grams in a jar with your number on it. What works best for you?
They ONLY buy pounds?
How many places do you visit before you make a sale usually?
How do YOU get paid? cash, check, etc
Do you take any security precautions before entering a new club for the first time?
What paperwork do you bring and what do they have you sign?

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
so, back to topic, vending to clubs, and what it's like for you.
I read this whole thread, found some good info, but didn't really get what I was expecting.

I'm new to Colorado, and am just starting up as a caregiver.

What do you put your meds in when you sell to a dispensary? What kind of container? A pound bag, ounce jars, etc.
How do you do it, do you walk in with a pound in your backpack, or just bring em a couple grams in a jar with your number on it. What works best for you?
They ONLY buy pounds?
How many places do you visit before you make a sale usually?
How do YOU get paid? cash, check, etc
Do you take any security precautions before entering a new club for the first time?
What paperwork do you bring and what do they have you sign?

call around and see who is buying.
standard storage containers from large Ziploc, Glass mason Jars, and Tight Vac containers.
Take some samples.
Take the amount you want to sell.
From a QP up depending on quality.
Have your paper work/card.
check / cash / end of the month

kingspade

thanks for the reply tripsick...
what would you say when you call around? just ask em straight up, "you in need of any more meds?"
how much usually per sample? a gram? an eigth?
do you walk into the store with all your meds and the samples, I would think leaving the weight in the car, and if they want it, go get it?
what do you mean, end of the month? like, leave the meds with them and go pick up money at the end of the month? is that common? what's the most common type of payment I should expect?

anyone else, please chime in with your experiences

Make sure you have your original recommendation on you and valid ID .Call around first. The shops that need meds will let you know .Some may not want to talk about it over the phone. Ask them what their vending or "care grower" policy is. Most will tell you to bring it in . Dont talk price or quantity over the phone .... I would make sure whatever amount you have on you is covered by your paperwork.... To be safe I always have someone with me that will watch the area for me. I suggest planning ahead.... Keep your walk-in samples in small containers you can carry on your body or in a simple looking bag. You dont want to attract the wrong attention. Most stores will not buy from you unless you are a member first. Walk in sign up as a first time Patient and when they are finished verifying your info ask about vending if you dont know from your calll you made beforehand .Make sure to travel with your Med Buds in an airtight container in your trunk. I like Dog Food containers. You dont need to mark any of your produt with your number. Many stores nowadays will ask to give them a few days to up to 7 days to sell the product before they pay you .. depends on the store. Goodluck

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
As long as your herb is fire you can pretty much set the price within reason.... Don't be greedy, some d's will actually pass their savings on to the patients ( which is what it's all about)

Ms_Weekend

-NEVER SHOW PAPER WORK IF YOUR VENDING <---Foolish unless you just got a few oz or something

-NEVER FRONT YOUR HARD EARNED PRODUCT!.....if they dont have the $$ move on to the next....dont listen to the BS about we have insurance to cover if we get robbed......ill be damned if ill be involved in any insurance check for marijuana.....green for green, especially the first 10+ transactions with one disp....get to know them & how they work

if you got "FIRE" you got no problems....problem is there is ALOT of first time growers who THINK they have fire, but its nothing special

call or email ahead & set up an appointment

Good place to start is take them an oz in a jar, and make them buy it...no samples....all disp owners i know just smoke the shit & forget about it anyways......if its fire you will know on your first meeting......they will be asking why you only brought an oz & how long till you can come back.......give them an oz at your qp or lb price(250=4000lb) so they can see if they can make money off it, & how the people like it......make sure to tell them your prices & what your looking for after the trial oz.....if its fire dont sell below a qp at a time unless your desprate.

Status
Not open for further replies.