What's new

Vegan Organics with Professor Matt Rize

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

unthing

I quess not. Another thing that came to my mind is cannibal cannabis, as in terms extracting good stuff and composting the rest to fertilizer.

Y

Yankee Grower

They are not only testing for Cannabinoid potency, but they are testing for trace insecticides and other garbage that should not be present on medicine. They are also testing for heavy metal content.
Heavy metal tests are cheap but pesticide screens can be very expensive. One test I have run each year costs me $600+. What are they looking for?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
we all know trimming is lame, ive been trimming for the past week and a half. im with DM back to vegan organics.
Seriously,If anyone doesn't think it's lame then you haven't trimmed enough herb. I'm the fastest and cleanest trimmer I've ever met,and I started fuggin' hating it years ago...nowadays I would much rather pay the local family kids who need a job.
But yeah,anyway..has anybody checked into the products mentioned to see how organic or "vegan" they actually are?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Seems all I can find are advertisements and msds on the bioblaster....no mention of ingredients anywhere. I assume it's just what we already use in a much more expensive form.
Anybody else find anything about what it is exactly?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought they only wanted to hear about plant based nutrition from professor jay?

Ill lay out the system after work today.

well i want to talk vegan organics :) and im still very much a student of nature. and probably will be until i die.

ps:
Week and half... bro I trim all year.

that sucks, i only grow outdoors so im swamped from mid september to mid november every year. all by myself.

Last edited:
C

CT Guy

Matt,

MM's post is on page 7, post #101. It might serve you well to go back and read through the posts that you missed, as people have brought up very good questions and information.

I know you don't think very highly of Mr. Fista, but he's shared a lot of excellent information on here and is highly knowledgeable. We all learn from each other. I hope you can hear the criticisms with an open mind and be willing to share from a position of equality rather than authority. There's growers in here that have been around for 30 or 40 years, some have been growing since before I was born. And to be fair, Mr. Fista raised some very good points.

It sounds like you grow and teach quite a bit and have some experience yourself. Let's make this thread about sharing that experience in a friendly manner without talking down to anyone.

Personally, I don't think there's any one perfect way to grow plants. You can have guidelines and recommendations, but ultimately your soil mix, weather (if outdoors), water source, temps, and local ecology will all affect the health and growth of your plant. What is "dialed in" for you might not be the best route for someone else.

I get the vegan thing in the sense of keeping out bad ingredients, but I'd have no problems using EWC from horse manure in my soil mix. From a microbial perspective, it's an excellent choice. I wouldn't use guanos for other reasons, but there were some good points made on that subject earlier in the thread. I don't think that the quality of the end product would be diminished in the slightest by using these products, and the only proof I've seen is your word that people like it better.

I'd really like to see what else you have to share on the subject as well though....

Cheers,
CT

Matt Rize

Lunch break, sticky fingers

Lunch break, sticky fingers

well i want to talk vegan organics :) and im still very much a student of nature. and probably will be until i die.

ps:

that sucks, i only grow outdoors so im swamped from mid september to mid november every year. all by myself.

I mentioned earlier that I am on a crew that busts out gardens. All by yourself... dude... I'd come up to trim with you just so we can swap veganics ideas. :)

More Matt Rize system of growing using liquid and powdered plant based organics to come... after work yall.

Matt Rize

The beauty of GC/MS and HPLC

The beauty of GC/MS and HPLC

Heavy metal tests are cheap but pesticide screens can be very expensive. One test I have run each year costs me $600+. What are they looking for?

They are looking for everything!!! There are hundreds of cannabinoids, terpenes, dozens of common garden toxins, molds, mildews, ect.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
"They are looking for everything!!!"
Like in the first few minutes of The Life of Brian where the masses and crowds are looking for a sign from the Messiah Brian?

"He's given us a sign! It's his sandal!"

"No! It's his water gourd!"

"No! It's his staff!"

I can see the Canna crew and FatBoy Mike with his 'Advanced' team running through the streets of Vancouver across the Lion Gate Bridge into what's known as the Simpleton Section with their devotees and minions screaming for the next watered-down version of soluble potash.

At least they're consistent if nothing else.

What is it with the Canadian Snake Oil Association and the utter fascination with K2O anyway? Soluble Potash (K2O) and it's always, always @ 3% - perhaps Professor Matt can enlighten the dumb-ass American organic growers.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
This comment by the professor caught my attention. He claims that an organic product is soluble. Now to my way of interpreting organic amendments this is contradictory. There are some ionized nutrients in supposedly organic products but to advertise them as already soluble and in a form ready to be assimilated by roots….I dunno.

Anyway I thought if I took a look at the Biocanna website, http://www.biocanna-organics.com/site/index.html I’d find the NPK analysis which would reveal the percentage of soluble nutrients. No such luck. What a difficult website to navigate and very little factual information is given in sales-pitch tone seemingly directed at kindergarten children.

From the website;

Sounds like they might be using EM?

Again with the ‘immediately absorbable’

Bioactive; Biological Fertilizers – nice catch phrases. Actually I think Dr. Higa and those before him can claim prior production of biological fertilizers.

Sounds familiar….like chemical growing.

The microflora which helps the plant absorb nutrients? Which is it? Immediately available or microbially processed? Both, they claim but do not offer any percentages of ionic form nutrients. This does not encourage confidence in the product from my perspective. Perhaps there is more information I’m missing.

Huh? That’s new on me. And you think they are going to tell you the three principles…

Legally tested? Let’s see.

Lots of catchy words….honest….sustainable. Again with the legally tested. Where?

Too much organic material is a problem? Well yes if it is buried non-degraded material but what the heck are they talking about?

And we all know that other organic fertilizers are loaded with pesticides.
Did you see the three principles on which biological farming is based? Let me know.

Being frustrated with finding the NPK percentages in these products, I phoned up OMRI as I often do to get answers concerning products. They did not have that info but they did tell me that the Bio Vega and Bio Flores products contain synthetic micronutrients. I don’t know exactly what this implies but perhaps our learned fellow could elucidate.

From OMRI

Bio Vega and Bio Flores

After digging through all available info. on the net and the Website......MM's post pretty much covers my question....it's like a maze of secret BS that keeps guys like us from uncovering the fact that most of us already employ what they most likely use.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
A whole portion of the horticulture industry is about secreting away and obfuscating horticultural science then bottling and branding it as proprietary solution

then again look at the people they are marketing to

a whole segment of people that would rather pay for a solution than simply understand the dynamics and create it for themselves

spurr

Veteran
They are looking for everything!!! There are hundreds of cannabinoids, terpenes, dozens of common garden toxins, molds, mildews, ect.

"hundreds of cannabinoids"!?! Citation please! You really need to get better about referencing dubious claims you make.

I know of many cannabinoids, but not hundreds. Basically that lab will test for the secondary metabolites most cannabis growers are interested in, however, for quantitative results they need standards of all those secondary metabolites. I know of a source (outside the US) for standards of THC, CBD, CBN, CBC (see below); but not for CBG, THCV, etc, etc. Standards from US sources are usually not pure (even though they claim they are[1]) and they are schedule 1 thus need DEA approval for lab use, and as was shown in the raided Colorado lab, the DEA is not OK with cannabis testing labs using US sourced standards (in the case I am referring to the lab simply applied for DEA approval and got raided!).

Any real lab would want to order from a source with >98% purity or make their own standards using TLC extracting from silica, or some other methods. However, using in-house created standards means there is no outside verification of standard quality/purity, thus ANY results from such a lab are not valid because we can't know for sure they are on the up and up (like is the case with claims made by Sam Skunkman, who I do not trust). I have doubts that lab uses quality schedule 1 standards (i.e. >98% purity), just like Dr. Hornsby who doesn't use good standards; thus his quantitative data is very flawed!

A good source outside the US for cannanbinod standards is Echo Pharmaceuticals. Using that source it's probably possible to order into Canada/Mexico and then ship from Canada/Mexico to US under DEA radar: http://www.echo-pharma.com/products-services-echo-pharmaceuticals.html

A better option for US based labs that want to source cannabinoid standards without doing so illegally (either via. the source above or in-house creation) is to use non-schedule 1 sources that are DEA-exempted. A source for such cannabinoid standards of very high purity is Cerillan. They sell standards of many cannabinoids, but those labeled as "NMI" are not DEA-exempt. Most labs in the US would be wise to use Cerllian as a source for cannabinoid standards if they want to have legit results, otherwise I wouldn't trust the lab as far as I could throw it, including SteepHill lab. Unless it has DEA approval to use true schedule 1 cannabinoid standards such as those from Sigma-Aldrich. Here is DEA-exempt cannabinoid standards from the US: http://www.cerilliant.com/shoponline/product_cat_list.aspx?text=cannabinoid

Cerilliant Introduces New Cannabinoid Reference Standards
In May 2008 Cerilliant introduced another highly innovative product, (+)-11-Nor-?9-THC-9-carboxylic acid glucuronide (T-038).

Cannabinoids represent the most widely abused drug class in the U.S. but offer many therapeutic benefits. They also present many challenges in analytical testing, including difficulties in usage and handling and their regulation as Schedule I controlled substances by U.S. DEA. In recognition of these difficulties, Cerilliant supplies cannabinoid reference standards in convenient, quantitative, US DEA-exempt solutions. We offer the widest selection and highest quality isotope labeled and “native” certified solution standards suitable for pharmaceutical analysis, urine drug testing, forensic analysis, calibrator preparation, isotope dilution methods, and many other uses. Click on the link below to view our cannabinoid products

[1] For those who trust Sam Skunkman is telling the truth...

Cannabinoid analysis is not as easy and straight forward as you may think. While oil analysis of 75-85% is not unheard of it is very difficult for a lab that does not do Cannabinoid analysis on a regular basis to get it right. First of all they need standards to calibrate the GC. And where do they buy the standards? Sigma-Aldrich is the most commonly used, but when I got THC from them they claimed it was 98% pure, I tested it and in fact it was 86% pure, so anyone that used the standard will have wrong results. The same with the standards from the NIDA or the UN, I analyzed both and they were both less then claimed purity. I made my own standards in the end and had them confirmed by the two top labs working with Cannabinoids in the world. At least my results were dependable.

spurr

Veteran
I'm really enjoying where this community has taken this thread.

But I secretly did my research, using GC/MS and HPLC, on my DJ Short Blueberry that I bumped back then. I was technically suspended for a semester for my efforts (can't hide it when you empty tanks) on the GC, but it is all good.

Where did you get standards? Please elaborate after you read my post about sourcing standards.

spurr

Veteran
Seems all I can find are advertisements and msds on the bioblaster....no mention of ingredients anywhere. I assume it's just what we already use in a much more expensive form.
Anybody else find anything about what it is exactly?

I tried to email them to ask what the ingredients are and to ask for references to peer-reviewed studies they (should be) using as a basis for their claims, but alas, they seem to be as dumb about creating a website as they are about creating a product. Their 'contact us' from is broken LOL: http://www.biocanna-organics.com/site/contact_us.php
Error opening Database!

spurr

Veteran
@ Matt:

Can you please ask Kyle Kushman to come here and post in this thread about some of the open challenges/questions people have put to you? It seems like what you are posting is hearsay from Kyle and I think maybe Kyle should answer the challenges/questions you seem unable or unwilling to answer.

That said, I doubt Kyle will come here as I am sure he would be torn a new one for the many un-proven and flat out wrong claims I read on his veganics website. Just because he writes for HighTimes does not make him a guru, IMO he is far from a guru...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you give me a post number? Thanks

For darth: If you don't know what time of year it is in Cali... vegan organics to come but buried in outdoor right now.

For Coot: You miss the entire point of lab testing. They are not only testing for Cannabinoid potency, but they are testing for trace insecticides and other garbage that should not be present on medicine. They are also testing for heavy metal content. The research of which I speak is on the final product potency/purity level. To replace the wonderful qualitative results that dominate this industry.

CT Guy has pointed it out but as if you did not notice it....come on!

I agree, Spurr....what a crappy time consuming website Biocanna has. At the advice of OMRI, I emailed Canna to request the NPK analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.