What's new

Vegan Organics with Professor Matt Rize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Rize

Now this guy actually has sense of humor...

Now this guy actually has sense of humor...

I won't begrudge your professorship because I have the title of God.

Hey god, you get it, thanks for realizing that we can have fun and share knowledge. Peas and elbow grease.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr Fista, I have been aware that various endo & ecto mycorrhizal fungi are indeed saprophitic or at least I thought them so. I have not been wrong have I.

I think you may have meant to say 'sprout' rather than 'sporulate'?

I'm unsure whether actinomycetes (actinobacteria) form an fixing relationship with cannabis. Interesting subject.

MrFista

Veteran
I'm really enjoying where this community has taken this thread.

Now you're feeling the love, good. This is a marvellous place of learning and discovery.

MM for God. sold.

Jaykush gets to be Dr he's the bomb.

I am the lowly lab tech.

MM -me and my technical language - sprout yes, thank you.

Those actinobacteria. I doubt there is a direct symbiosis rather indirect benefits. The EM we add to break roots etc down is loaded with actinobacteria as you know. If they establish themselves in the soil community entire... atmospheric N is being added to the bed regardless of direct association with the plants. As the actinobacteria get grazed this is released. Did Dr Higa mention which other EM players are partial to the N from the actinobacteria. The translations were indecipherable two years ago for me, maybe I'd have a better chance of understanding today, if I can find them again.

These warrant further investigation for sure. The effluent teams must know a fair bit about them now if they are having difficulty killing them. One mans trash is another mans treasure...

Matt Rize

Humanure?

Humanure?

Northern California in the fall is a beautiful place. The outdoor is so strong that no matter where you go, it smells like ripe Cannabis. This year's weather has been cool, so plants are a little small, but easy to take care of. SO much to trim still...

I just found out that my buddies used some humanure in their outdoor mix. It was donated, so the price was right.

Is this common? Opinions?

Thanks to all you super Canna-nerds out there. It is nice being in a forum where I am not asked why I capitalize Cannabis all the time.

Matt Rize

Now you're feeling the love, good. This is a marvellous place of learning and discovery....

Oh my gosh, you seem really weird, delusional, and lonely... do you have healthy real life relationships?

Sometimes I feel like taking a break from consuming Cannabis is crucial for emotional growth.

Matt Rize

Kelp in my Tea

Kelp in my Tea

Again, northern Cali is just too awesome for growing Cannabis. 215 and 420 give us legal right to provide ourselves with medicine. And the Earth provides so much for us here.

There are some really awesome water sources here, the well water is very hit or miss.

And the ocean provides it's bounty for us. When I go to the beach (frequently because of proximity) I like to collect kelp to take home and add to my brew.

It is pretty much that simple. Collect a chunk of kelp (looks like long tubes here), rinse it well, chop it up, throw it in the brew bag for a day or two. Easy peasy plant based nutrition.

Y

Yankee Grower

I just found out that my buddies used some humanure in their outdoor mix. It was donated, so the price was right.

Is this common? Opinions?
Do you mean Milorganite?

CC - the strain of yarrow we have around here is white. Can't remember ever seeing the pink stuff but it looks pretty...lol. Pretty sure that pic of the yellow stuff was mustard? At least that's what it looks like in the Napa vineyards...pretty sure that's mustard.

Matt Rize

Do you mean Milorganite?

No, I mean composted human excrement. From a composting toilet system. Is that normal? They told me it is something new that the city is trying to promote, and they give it away for free. Not kosher enough for me, or ital in any way, and halal don't think so.

Matt Rize

Vegan Organics with Matt Rize: Trim Time

Vegan Organics with Matt Rize: Trim Time

I have 12 hours before its back to the scissors, so I wanted to tell you guys what it is like here (norcal) and how we do it.

Trimming is a serious industry here, we should have a union. But we don't, and work "conditions" can be very different . Out in the rural areas it gets kinda ridiculous. Some places people walk up and down the streets with plants and trimming is a community project. Some places people hide everything and close the blinds and act all sketchy. Some people trim using natural light, some trim in the "zone" under HIDs and the rest.

I trim with the blinds open and the backdoor open, and I live in the heart of downtown in a school zone. But nothing I do is illegal (no more solvent extracts), so its all gravy. My neighbors are my friends and we watch out for each other, BIG TIME. They ran off the bike cops for me... had to seal the room after DJ's Blueberry proved too powerful. My neighbor sits on his back deck and watches me bring mature plants into the house from the zone during the school day... and we laugh.

Pay for trimming varies greatly. By the hour from $15 to $30/hour. And by the pound usually around $250, but as low as $180 for jerks. I won't work for more or less than $20/hour, fair IMO as a grower/trimmer. I don't work for weight because I take it as an insult and make sure to do 2 pounds in a 9-5 day, which is brutal on me. I won't work in cramped or stupid conditions either, and have been known to move the whole trim to my house.

Up north you have to camp out and work as much as you can. Down here people are civilized and trimmers go home after work. Some like to work at night, but not-sketchy people work normal hours (9-5+).

I am lucky enough to have joined a really hard working crew, we joined forces more correctly. We pretty much go from spot to spot and bang out harvests. If we have to, we can each do 2 pounds a work day, and we trim so effing tight that our outdoor work is sold as indoor. Our first time at locations they have friends there, then we never see the friends again and it is just us. My motto is "everyone want to get paid, only a few want to work for it."

Did I neglect to mention that I work with mostly sexy women between 21 and 44 years old? One is an effing burlesquer and nude art model. It certainly doesn't hurt that most growers are dudes. None of us smoke tobacco, and one guy dips so that doesn't slow him down. Sometimes we chew raw coca leaves when we do long days. Mate is normal in the afternoon, and in the morning it is fresh juices and kombucha. Lots of microbrew too, lol.

We all show up with everything we will need for the day other than lunch, which is provided by the employer, and we are organic non-GMO food people. The girls have trim outfits, even some dudes wear coveralls. I don't worry about it, I love the stink of Cannabis on me.

Supplies for trimming may include:
micro scissors,
razor blades,
pipe/herbs (not everyone has ganj... or enough for me :) )
reading glasses (to protect eyes from flying trichomes),
scissor sharpener,
finger glue,
beers (that's how we roll),
some herb infused water,
chocolate (it is mostly women)
drinks,
snacks,
cell phone in a ziploc (still works and wont get sticky)
computer elbow wrest,
home-made lavender oil solution for cleaning hands/scissor,
apron,
chalice or other water-filter glass.

MY CURRENT SCISSOR SET UP:
I have tried everything. The small ones without springs, Humbodlt Nutrients just made a fiskar knock off, Hydrofarm, Hydrofarm knock off, Fiskars, Fiskars coated, Fiskars cool colors, everything.

What I have found, and every woman that I have ever trimmed with now agrees, is that you have to personalize your scissors.

First: But a Hydrofarm scissor ($10)

Second: Buy a Fiskars replacement spring (free if you ask nice)

Third: Take out the Hydrofarm spring, replace with Fiskar's spring

Fourth: Notice the work load has been reduced significantly.

Fifth: Keep them clean and oiled. This is your sword.

You will never trim with a Fiskars again, I promise this. The Hydrofarm scissor have longer blades, and the points are slightly rounded which reduced finger shredding (trust me, happens plenty the way we roll). Fiskars sharp micro-point is still valuable for big leafing and all other garden tasks.

To further reduce the work load you can remove one to three twists from the spring. You will have to twist the cut-end smaller so that it properly seats. This personalization reduces the work load, and if you do this full time...it makes your life quality better.

Matt Rize

I rely upon academic level information, mostly upon peer-reviewed and publisehd papers, and upon traditionally-and-self-taught experts whom I trust like microbeman and Paul Stemets, etc.

I as well. I openly studied Cannabis in college, a private organic farm school.

Academia is lacking concerning indoor organic Cannabis studies, that corner has been turned at least and data is being collected. Steep Hill Lab is doing some really great analysis in this part of the world.

Trust yourself. The QUALITATIVE affects of Cannabis have always been obvious to mankind. A clean pipe will reveal the finer flavors and smoothness. Do the "field work" (aka smoke lots of different ganja grown many ways), and make your own conclusions.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
"that corner has been turned at least and data is being collected. Steep Hill Lab is doing some really great analysis in this part of the world."
Steep Hill Labs is a so-called cannabis testing lab, i.e. it performs some lab analysis on finished cannabis and cannabis-based products.

They have absolutely nothing to do with soil biology, botany, or anything related to growing cannabis or any other plant. About the only corner that they're turning is the one outside their hovel on the way to the bank. Pretty much like the degenerates at the company you're shilling for. If you're going to toss out names of Mickey-Mouse organizations down in Cali, at least bone up on what it is that they actually claim to do.

Are the jamokes affiliated with this corner-turning lab part of the same science crew employed to write the advertising screed at the top of this thread? Especially the discussion about genitalia sizing as it relates to compliance with various federal and state label regulations.

Perhaps on Friday's NPR program "Science Friday" we'll soon be treated to a broadcast featuring the topic: "Genitalia Sizing - It's Not Just For Breeding Anymore" featuring a complete analysis and a lively discussion from the guys & dolls from Steep Hill Lab in beautiful downtown Oakland. A city best described by Gertrude Stein as a city where "there's no there there"

Anyone got a hankie?

CC

DARC MIND

Veteran
what happened to discussions on vegan organics and its methods of growing priceless fine cannabis with a healthy conscious. seriously with this trim time baloney, i bet most here know how to trim and i and i can careless about what commercial trimmers get paid.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr Rize,

I'd appreciate you addressing my assertions and questions related to the Canna product you promoted so avidly.

Matt Rize

Missed that one is the shuffle

Missed that one is the shuffle

Mr Rize,

I'd appreciate you addressing my assertions and questions related to the Canna product you promoted so avidly.

Can you give me a post number? Thanks

For darth: If you don't know what time of year it is in Cali... vegan organics to come but buried in outdoor right now.

For Coot: You miss the entire point of lab testing. They are not only testing for Cannabinoid potency, but they are testing for trace insecticides and other garbage that should not be present on medicine. They are also testing for heavy metal content. The research of which I speak is on the final product potency/purity level. To replace the wonderful qualitative results that dominate this industry.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we all know trimming is lame, ive been trimming for the past week and a half. im with DM back to vegan organics.

Matt Rize

Hey, this thread is for EVERYONE

Hey, this thread is for EVERYONE

we all know trimming is lame, ive been trimming for the past week and a half. im with DM back to vegan organics.

Not just you canna-pros. Use my trim tricks. I need no thanks. I sat back and listened while my thread went down all sorts of roads. Week and half... bro I trim all year. As you know, this time of year is the craziest as the indoor keeps coming and the outdoor all hits at once.

Modify you scissor, reduce your work load, give thanks and praise.

I thought they only wanted to hear about plant based nutrition from professor jay?

Ill lay out the system after work today.

U

unthing

Maybe I missed it, but when it comes to bottled products, isn't biobizz as well veganish (not fish-mix, but grow and bloon and topmax).

Status
Not open for further replies.