What's new

Ubuntu and Sun Virtualbox kicks YOUR ass

None of my software is available for linux. I like linux for 3 things...

-web server (much better IMO and much less expensive than windows server)
-netbook OS
-mobile phone OS (ie: android)

When Adobe starts making their master suite for Linux, I can BEGIN to consider using it as my primary desktop OS. I'd still want a windows partition for games though. Until then, linux stays on the web server.

dogscot

dogscot: Get the ID off the card itself :) If it's pro audio stuff I might have boys playing with it :)

hey dreadvik thanks man. Ill go have a look later when i get a bit of time. Ive never really poked around inside a laptop before, only desktop. I assume its not too much harder? Ill take a look at some tutorials before messing around.

ROJO145

Veteran
Ive run Linux-mint for a while,and redhat and ubuntu str8,ALL pretty cool and worth a peek,Mint was the best one out of them all for me.STILL,he's right that 90% of computer users will not like it,there is a definate learning curve,people are used to windows,better or worse,windows will be the one most people use.Thats just the way it is.

U

uncle_shorty

dogscot are you still running linux type lspci in a terminal window and look for Multimedia audio controller

did you say it was laptop? what make model of that too

you can pm me

U

uncle_shorty

Silver Bullet you cant find comparable open source programs?

often they work even better

or you can use Wine and your win software or Sun virtualbox and run windows in it

Dank-j

I have a few ubuntu boxes running virtualbox, great software.

Other KICKASS things to look at
1) VMWARE ESXi, installs on a virgin machine and controls all the guest OS's. Runs as it's own kernel/OS so no need to have vmware running ON TOP of another resource hungry operating system.

2) TinyXP - Windows XP buthered down by the eXPerience team, SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT windows xp. I run this as my virtualbox os instance.

3) Just played with this this weekend, but Tiny7 is Windows 7 but is more lightweight and it removes the registration and useless services.

4) Openfiler - open source network storage management - have an extra box and a bunch of spare drives? built yourself a SICK fileserver.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I have to admit I haven't read this entire thread. But I have to say if you want the power and security of Unix in an easy-to-setup and use system, do yourself a favor and just get a Mac. Nome sayin?

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
How does Mac=Hitler?

An OS does not amount to millions of people getting killed by some crazy fanatic.

For those of us who don't want to be computer geeks and screw around with a computer, the easier the better.

Dank-j

Apple creates hardcore vendor lock in, once your apple, your stuck. No choices.

Apple hardware or ELSE! No thanks, I'd rather build an equivalent machine for 1/4 the price, keep your shiny case.

Restrictions are the reasons I don't recommend apple products. No choice, no freedom.

Look at the situation with all the developers building applications for the iphone, apple basically has no way of saying if your application will be accepted before you spend the time to build the application, if apple finds that your software competes, they will clone your idea and not allow you to sell it through their store. Right now an exodus of great iphone developers are leaving because of this particular bullshit.

CaptainTrips

Silver Bullet you cant find comparable open source programs?

often they work even better

or you can use Wine and your win software or Sun virtualbox and run windows in it

Running games in emulation sucks, and doesn't even work for new games. If it wasn't for games, id probably use linux a lot more. Actually I don't use it all at the moment, but i just got a 1tb hard drive, so im going to put linux on my old one I think, just because I haven't had a linux installed in so long, just to play around with every once in a while.

U

uncle_shorty

-CaptainTrips

try crossover for wine

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

make sure you have the latest wine and you will be suprised

-hippie_lettuce

whats with the labels?

Linux is alot easier to learn than windows since its built on a community of free sharing...

but everyone feels like its a scary place when they dont know much about it

but when you decide to go linux and work out your problems as they come you lose the fear and gain a real sense of freedom, you also gain all that money you would have spent on M$ so you can buy more nuggets...

11469_101589919864933_100000417753611_42105_7894653_n.jpg

This is the weed you could be smoking with the money you saved by switching to Linux

CaptainTrips

That list of games is pretty small and old. Although better than it used to be obviously, and I don't see how switching to linux will save anyone money, since they already have windows, and there is tons of free software on windows...

U

uncle_shorty

free software on windows??? good one...

205 current up to date games is pretty small???

ooh ok then guess Ill switch back to windows...

im just gonna wait till hell freezes over

pretty sure Al Hubbard would use Linux too if he were still around

H

h^2 O

Running games in emulation sucks, and doesn't even work for new games. If it wasn't for games, id probably use linux a lot more. Actually I don't use it all at the moment, but i just got a 1tb hard drive, so im going to put linux on my old one I think, just because I haven't had a linux installed in so long, just to play around with every once in a while.
no captaintrips aka S.K - when you use Sun Virtualbox and run a copy of Windows on it, you're not emulating anything. It's being played on WIndows. Wine, yes. Virtualbox, no. So I use the shitty Windows for games and exit out of the OS when I'm done

CaptainTrips

There is tons of free software on windows, just because it isn't open source doesn't make it not free. And I looked at the supported list of games on the cx site, most of them are old.

U

uncle_shorty

I dont see any mainstream windows freeware I see alot of trialware....

If theres so much windows freeware why is there such a big piracy problem?

virtualbox is 1:1 cpu cycles Mr.Trips, as you dont deserve the Capt trips,

You think all those old guys like Al would use windows?

Do you know anything about whos name youve jacked?

Captain A.H. was about the low key free spread of something very special, maybe you should eat some yourself

To fathom hell or soar angelic..........

CaptainTrips

no captaintrips aka S.K - when you use Sun Virtualbox and run a copy of Windows on it, you're not emulating anything. It's being played on WIndows. Wine, yes. Virtualbox, no. So I use the shitty Windows for games and exit out of the OS when I'm done

Ok, its not emulation, but virtualbox, that must be a virtual machine or something or the sort? Which usually kills video performance. Are you saying you can use virtualbox on a linux host os, install windows and run windows at 100% the same performance as if it wasn't running in virtualbox?

H

h^2 O

i do. That's why Sun Virtualbox kicks YOUR ass! hehehe :) try it mayne. I deed it