What's new

Ubuntu and Sun Virtualbox kicks YOUR ass

H

h^2 O

what else could a stoner want? You can literally do ANYTHING

Last edited:
K

KMK0420

What would the average person want Ubuntu over a Windows system for?

I'm an IT guy, my machine always runs flawlessly regardless of the OS. I don't need linux..

You want to be a gearhead/linux lover, get redhat or a version where you must rebuild the kernel all the time :)

H

h^2 O

because Windows is "the man" and I'm tired of being held down by it

H

h^2 O

Why not just use Windows?
i use Windows for the iPod/itunes - doesn't work with Ubuntu. But the computer never crashes and I never get error messages or viruses. It's a million times better than Windows. Windows just flat out sucks.

Linux will hold you down even more. I mentioned in another thread about me having to actually install the drivers for my monitor before I could get Ubuntu to work. None of my webcam drivers, bluetooth drivers, or networking drivers work under Linux. It's also a pain in the ass trying to install anything as you have to go through a tortuous command line process in the terminal which always seems to go wrong. The only place Linux is useful and potentially better than Windows is on servers.

H

h^2 O

Linux will hold you down even more. I mentioned in another thread about me having to actually install the drivers for my monitor before I could get Ubuntu to work. None of my webcam drivers, bluetooth drivers, or networking drivers work under Linux. It's also a pain in the ass trying to install anything as you have to go through a tortuous command line process in the terminal which always seems to go wrong. The only place Linux is useful and potentially better than Windows is on servers.
might be that your computer just isn't great....Ubuntu is notrorious? for working pretty much out of the box with Thinkpads... not sure what you have, but is sounds like you might have an AMD processor or some kind of computer that was like tailored/collaberated with Windows.
Doesn't take much to find drivers though - quick google search finds everything. Audio, display, usb, webcam, whatever.

H

h^2 O

listen to uncle shorty - he's an uncle. And a long-timer. And apparently knows his computers.
WINDOWS SUCKS

Install drivers for a monitor? tortuous command line??? put down the crack pipe please.....

I think you should heed your own advise. I'm not the only person who has had these problems. The fact of the matter is that Windows is unparalleled in terms of compatibility (with both hardware and software) and is far more user-friendly than any distro of Linux. A testament to this fact is that Linux, even though it's totally free, still has only a marginal market share of operating systems.

H

h^2 O

mala that's because people still think $$$ = quality. It's a new age man...the age of free learning and sharing and equal access. That's what Ubuntu is all about.

U

uncle_shorty

Mala, Ive never had any hardware troubles with Ubuntu at all.

How you can botch a Ubuntu install is beyond me, maybe you should stick to a analog typewriter.

Ive never had to install any drivers at all, for any hardware, and all my hardware works. better than it did on Windows.

listen kids, cant argue with free in times like these......

"Linux, and Linux jobs, are one of the few growth areas left in our stagnant economy."

Linux work has been about open source and its already better than Windows, ask the major corporations...

Think where it would be now if it had the support that M$ has had.

Linux market share is hard to calculate...how do you calculate free?

But ask any of the big corporations what is really powering them...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...rging_not_sagging_says_analyst?taxonomyId=122

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/182289/the_future_of_linux_is_google.html

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3487041

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14576/who_writes_linux_big_business

K

KMK0420

Nobody is saying Linux is a bad idea, but for the average user, YES IT IS!

When you know your shit, expanding beyond windows is fine.

Ubuntu does NOT surpass windows in terms of compatibility. Not to mention windows end user interface/gui is much easier to grasp for new users.

I completely disagree with the fact Ubuntu should be installed over windows. $100 got me XP and i've re-installed the bitch like 15 times...had it for years...at least 5 or 6. That's like what, 15 bucks a year? Cmon now...even when i get Win7, that'll last me for another 4-5 years. 15 dollars & an assload of compatability vs a free linux distro which will have compatibility issues with gaming and video card drivers? fuck outta here..

dreadvik

macosx? ;) I like the way it just works and the interface is slick but otherwise yeah it's linux or bsd :)

What is this windows thing you talk of? Is that the virus that keeps consuming more of your hard drive and makes your computer slower and slower as time goes on until your forced to reinstall and upgrade? ;)

H

h^2 O

you play games on your computer? jk. I run an F/A-18 simulator flawlessly...but I DID have to google search for the appropriate drivers...they were of course like the top result and had me flying in minutes. I think Mac and Windows is just for lazy people or people who don't care about utilizing their computer to the best of its abilities.

dreadvik

h^2o: Hit the terminal.app. There's a lot more power than you might think :) It's bsd under the hood, which IMO owns linux ;)

U

uncle_shorty

Ubuntu is just up and running from the get go for mostly everything, you dont even have to install drivers unless you want to do something really specialized...

And since I spend so many hours looking at my computer i want it to look the way I want it.

You cant make those type of changes to the window manager in Windows.

Plus I would rather not be exploited, hacked, or impersonated.

boils down to *NIX which includes (BSD MAC LINUX UNIX) against incarnate evil (M$)

MacOSX > windows too....

If your gonna bag on linux dont do it because you struggled through an install 10 years ago.

Test the Ubuntu live cd today, its not permanent, you dont have to install if you dont want to while testing it out.

H

h^2 O

h^2o: Hit the terminal.app. There's a lot more power than you might think :) It's bsd under the hood, which IMO owns linux ;)
yeah i have fun with terminal. It's really awesome for when certain apps don't feel like working, just go to terminal and type the name of the app and hit enter and it loads

Latest posts

Latest posts