What's new

Ubuntu and Sun Virtualbox kicks YOUR ass

A

alpinestar

screw getting the damn drivers to work on linux
Id rather reformat a windows machine every month then have to go through that hell again

I'm giving the latest release of Ubuntu (9.10 Karmic Koala) a try and it's still a pain in the ass. I'm trying to create a USB start-up disk and I keep getting the error: "DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given volume was not found".

It wouldn't let me format the USB drive, so I had to do that in Windows. Now it just gives me a damn error message. I'm still not impressed with Ubuntu, and as I get Windows 7 and Office for free from Microsoft anyway I may as well stick with that.

U

uncle_shorty

demonicaardvark - try Crossover for Wine, thats what people do when they want to play windows games on Linux. No windows cd required.

alpinestar - better off formatting every session

Mala Tempora - try UNETBOOTIN
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I admit I too have had problems with the default Ubuntu usb-creator

hashit

It's kinda dumb to say that this [insert here] OS sucks. Every OS has a purpose. Personally, I love using Linux for parallel/cluster computing/development. For business and commercial applications, Windows is where its at.

Linux is great for scientific and hobbyist use.
Windows is great for commercial software and development.

I have been doing both for over 14+ years.

I am not bashing Linux in any way, as it is a great OS. Hell, OSX has its perks too! What I and many other people notice is that linux users that love to bash other OS's are often newbies and just hopped onto the bandwagon about 5 - 7 years ago or so.

U

uncle_shorty

Ill bash anything I can exploit myself.......

Cuz then I know someone else is doing it to me..

any *nix is fine with me and windows is cool too I guess but people here talk about security and on Win you got NONE.

hashit

Ill bash anything I can exploit myself.......

Cuz then I know someone else is doing it to me..

There are many exploits in Linux as well. All it takes is a bit of C knowledge ;)

I'm curious as to what exploits you have found/written yourself for Windows...and don't google because I will be able to tell if you did...

U

uncle_shorty

Ive not found or written anything on my own as that would be too much work, its too readily available out there in the tubes, which is my point that its way too easy for the skiddies to play games so I up the ante with *NIX......

And even If Id written some overflows or attacks myself would you really expect me to share them on this board?

After all "Those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know"....

and C exploits will not likely be getting through my hardened tool-chain.

They would get dropped by IPtables in the first place among other measures that have been taken.

Kthanksbye-eeee

hashit

True, but there are more and more exploits being found and written for both Linux and OSX (*nix based OS) since its becoming more popular.

The more popular the product is, the more its going to be exploited. Personally, I will keep Windows 7 as my main OS and have Linux running in VMWare.

U

uncle_shorty

True, but there are more and more exploits being found and written for both Linux and OSX (*nix based OS) since its becoming more popular.

The more popular the product is, the more its going to be exploited. Personally, I will keep Windows 7 as my main OS and have Linux running in VMWare.

2 valid points but Ill choose open source any day because thats where the real egg-heads work and its bleeding edge, evolving and available every new day for free
and on the last point I like it but backwards.

dogscot

dogscot you have onboard audio and an audiocard too?
if so turn off the onboard in your BioS.
only thing Ive seen be a problem with ubuntu audio, which actually isnt a problem but we wont go into that.

Seriously all my hardware is from 2003 and I need to install 0 drivers, well my usb wifi is from 2007.

hey uncle shorty. That doesn't solve anything. I think I only have a soundcard no onboard. Anyway trust me its a rare piece of hardware and ive just not been able to find any drivers to get it to run.

dreadvik

VMware recommend linux as a host tho ala ESX :)

The thing about linux tends to be it exposes less unless your running services but then your probably a competant admin who has made precautions and updates regularly if you are :)

dtxx

Try the Fedora live usb creator. It's the only one I've tried that's worth a damn. And even though it will tell you it failed, it works for Backtrack 4 as well. Want to talk about a pain in the ass?? I made a Backtrack 3 live usb w/ persistent storage before they had a utility that could do it.

I'm currently triple booting Win7, Vista, and Ubuntu 9.10. I also have a CentOS box on my network that I store files on.

dogscot

dogscot what is the make/ model of audio card?

Lol thats kinda hard for me to answer right now. I don't have the details anywhere any recently the damn monitor stopped working. I don't have an external to try it with but basically I cant access my device manager to get those details for you. I appreciate the effort though, thanks. Is it ok if I pm you, should I get the monitor going again?