What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Turn from LED to HPS!

mimistow

Hello friends, ive having trouble with temperature so im considering in changing my 400w led to a 400 hps that i had from the past.My current temps are between 14-16 and my plants are young(week years old from sprouting) so what do you think about that idea? if yes, should i put the hps further away from the plants than the "default" distance?

mr.brunch

Veteran
The yield would probably drop... I love the old hps lights but I’ve seen 200w leds outyield 400w son. You’d probably want a 6 to replace a 400led , but then it’s heat...

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
The yield would probably drop... I love the old hps lights but I’ve seen 200w leds outyield 400w son. You’d probably want a 6 to replace a 400led , but then it’s heat...
I think you meant a 600W LED to replavce a 400W HPS

Not sure how you’re defining “default” distance but, yeah, it’ll help get your temps up.

You didn’t say whether your 400 LED is 400w as a marketing gimmick, or actual.
If it’s actual, you probably need to go up to 1000w HID to get similar results.

Best regards.

mimistow

yeah but temp is really low...with hps and the suitable ventilation i think temp will rise from 15 to nearly 20C. What do u think brother?

mimistow

Not sure how you’re defining “default” distance but, yeah, it’ll help get your temps up.

You didn’t say whether your 400 LED is 400w as a marketing gimmick, or actual.
If it’s actual, you probably need to go up to 1000w HID to get similar results.

Best regards.
its marketed as 560 but actual is 400w. Dont u think 400W hps is ok for a 1 by 1 meter tent?

its marketed as 560 but actual is 400w. Dont u think 400W hps is ok for a 1 by 1 meter tent?

It’s okay, but you’re not likely to get nearly as much light from a 400 HPS as a 400 actual w LED, unless the LED is unusually crappy.

-but-

The better temperature the HPS will give your environment will ‘probably’ offset the reduction in lighting power.

Only one way to find out for sure, right?

Happy growin’.

CrossBones

Close down all your inlet and outlet vents on tent to retain heat lights on, run a fan on low speed facing up towards top to circulate heat down from top of tent where LED heat is, I also use a thermostat switch and cheap fan at the top of tent to vent excess heat at 24/25c, I try to keep the area heated 18 to 20c with a cheap electric thermostat controlled heater lights off. I still have all my HPS stuff, but this is easier for me in winter.. By closing the vents I can run a humidifier in tent to keep humidity up as well.. It's all about airflow thru tent and much of an opening works

mimistow

Close down all your inlet and outlet vents on tent to retain heat lights on, run a fan on low speed facing up towards top to circulate heat down from top of tent where LED heat is, I also use a thermostat switch and cheap fan at the top of tent to vent excess heat at 24/25c, I try to keep the area heated 18 to 20c with a cheap electric thermostat controlled heater lights off. I still have all my HPS stuff, but this is easier for me in winter.. By closing the vents I can run a humidifier in tent to keep humidity up as well.. It's all about airflow thru tent and much of an opening works
i had already closed the vents and temp with the leds was 15C.The thing is i cant open all of the leds in once (white blue and red) cause plants are too young and will get stressed , i just putted the hps on and the temp is already 22C with the lights 70 cm from the plants. The other solution i chould try is to put the leds as far as possible from the plants and have all the lights on so it produces more heat but im afraid theyll get stressed from the light power.

mimistow

It’s okay, but you’re not likely to get nearly as much light from a 400 HPS as a 400 actual w LED, unless the LED is unusually crappy.

-but-

The better temperature the HPS will give your environment will ‘probably’ offset the reduction in lighting power.

Only one way to find out for sure, right?

Happy growin’.
thanks bud .Well after they grow a bit i might change to the leds but this time with all the lights on ,cause now i only have white lights on because plants are too young... might

CrossBones

What's the temp outside the tent? the only way I could get my tent to heat up near bottom is to circulate the air from floor towards top with a Honeywell HT900 bringing down the heat from leds near roof, other options are to heat the room the tent is in, heating mats, or even extra cfl bulbs in tent ect.. Sounds like you've got it figured out with the HPS tho with lights out there gunna get a bit frigid unless your running 24 on.. Your also right the heat is less running only half the light, I run two and it's perfect for my setup.. Have a Great Grow.. :)

Del_9_THC

Hello friends, ive having trouble with temperature so im considering in changing my 400w led to a 400 hps that i had from the past.My current temps are between 14-16 and my plants are young(week years old from sprouting) so what do you think about that idea? if yes, should i put the hps further away from the plants than the "default" distance?

I reckon your yields should go way up AND so will your cooling costs. HID lights put out a lot of heat.

Some friends of mine, who are new to growing and bought LED lights, have had shitty yields and resulting fluffy buds. However, they are novice growers, so perhaps their lack of skills caused the problem?.....strange though that all three of them had lousy results?

My first ever grow under lights was using HPS lights and I had great results. (But I had been growing cannabis for about 25+ years by then, so I started with a good knowledge base.)

If you have the right ventilation, you should be okay. You could always get a covered hood for the lights and that might help as well.

Also, due to higher heat and ventilation you might find that you need to water more?

Good luck!

Del_9_THC

[It’s okay, but you’re not likely to get nearly as much light from a 400 HPS as a 400 actual w LED, unless the LED is unusually crappy.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, I don't think so.
I haven't heard of many people getting higher yields from LEDs than from HPS (all else being equal).

Del_9_THC

400w is 400w same amount of heat either way put a small space heater in if your temps are low.

The wattage issue is correct. The problem is that with HID lights, the wattage of the lights gives a good indication as to their power/output etc ( with a minimal amount of variation). However, the wattage of LED lights is basically a meaningless metric.

So comparing wattage between 2 different HID lights can be a reasonable comparison, but comparing wattage between an HID light and an LED light....is like comparing an orange by its taste to a banana by its colour....not much use.

If you want to meaningfully compare between two different lighting types (say between LED and HID) then you would want to compare them using something like lumens/Lux/PAR spectrum, etc.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
@ 300w led, 3 and a half foot of distance is working well for seedlings for me. But I'm running 12/12 lighting on them, so the extra rest may be helping them cope or holding them back.

mr.brunch

Veteran
[It’s okay, but you’re not likely to get nearly as much light from a 400 HPS as a 400 actual w LED, unless the LED is unusually crappy.

Uhm, I don't think so.
I haven't heard of many people getting higher yields from LEDs than from HPS (all else being equal).[/QUOTE]

I did the mars ts1000 (150w) next to a 400w son, two plants each same strain (although from seed) and the 150w won.
As I said though, I do like hps.... one of my tents is a 600w son. Love the raw power.