What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Toby was a good dog

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

females are best imo, they stay very close to home and are naturally protective. also, if you want a dog that's gonna challenge those bigger labs and get respect pronto, it's gonna be a bitch :)

you're right in that many folks pick a puppy when they find one that's attracted to them, I've selected pups by clapping my hand and seeing which one ques in fastest on the sound and source, and repeating several times.

best of luck selecting.......

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I agree that a Bitch would fit better w/My Labs. Wont be any battles for Alpha Male staus, and If I get a Female, then hopefully I can breed Her. I hope that Toby's bloodlines are still in His breeders hands. would love to keep it going, because Toby was a GOOD DOG.

My Wife is sending in a small amount of Toby's ashes to be made into a bead for Her charm bracelet. I bought a vial with a cork, and put His ashes in.
:huggg:

Peace n LOVE; TWISTED

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Urns are very affordable @ www. petmemorials.com, of course close that space I put in the addy.

precious Kayla always rests behind me.
I was able to add a pic to the medallion,
just her face from my favorite pic of her.

HPIM3095-1.jpg

where that face pic came from, winter of 2003.
Picture3501.jpg

so if you want something nice for the home and want to retain Toby's ashes instead of scattering them, the above may be an option. they've got dozens of types & you can even get a matching 'keepsake' (tiny) urn to match the larger one. Anyway, this company has the kindest prices by far.

I never take the passing of loved ones lightly, but when my dad passed in '99 I was working in NY driving taxi, I returned home to MN to tend to final arrangements. I had dad cremated & I took his ashes back to NY with me. I made a special box to put in my taxi to discreetly keep his urn with me as I drove around all night. :)

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
That Vial has been in My pocket, or on the night stand with Me. The box His ashes are in are under My Desk on the shelf that Toby used to spend time sleeping in front of, at My feet. I will be puppy proofing soon, and there is a spot on the top shelf for Him when, decide to do some thing with the rest of His cremains. I am thinking that I may look into the possibility of finding a sculpture, or ceramic artist to either sculpt Toby, or cast Him' and add a small portion of His ash to the Clay, or ceramic mix.
I am also moving into a more Self-sufficient Life Style. My aquaponics is just the 1st of a whole list of things that I am learning, and incorporating into My New way of LIVING.
I was already on this journey, and was finally getting this New Life on track when Toby decided to make his last Leap from My Cab. I like to think that He Knew how CRAZY The Ole Man had gone trying to find His REAL calling in Life, at 47yrs old, and was finally getting His SHIT together. I Have the aquaponic System that I was plumbing, as He lay dying 40 feet from Me.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I have that system running, and planted. I have lots more to do, but I know that Our lost Families(furry TOO) look down on Us, And as I wrote, and have in ink on My Right forearm says,,,
"We OWE it to those who have
Known us to be JOYOUSE.....
AND LIVE life to the FULLEST."
1TT:tiphat:

This is something I have to read to remind Myself,,, that I CAN NOT stop living life as I was beginning to do, when Toby passed at least 2years past what's considered OLD for a Britt. I was just starting to fall apart around this time back in 2012.
I got fired for the 1st tome in My LIFE. due mostly due to My inability to deal with the thoughtless parasite, Self-important Reality TV mentality that's become so pervasive in what passes for todays Civilization.
I just hopped off a long ride I went apathetically along with for the last 27yrs since The Wife, and began chasing The Dream together.
I may not be fit to work in The Real World for a company EVER again, but I don't even care, nor desire to do so.
This just means I have to quit dreaming(Pisces), and start DOING, and I have began to DO. I have a lot of plans(dreams) and just enough hustle to keep things together, while I do.
I will find My TRUE CALLING on this road I'm on. I all ready feel more at Peace with My new uncertain life, than I have felt in a VERY LONG time.
I have been Blessed with a Wife, Who's VALUE is beyond measure.
I have also been blessed with the ability to DREAM, and the fortitude to see My way to a life of My own making.
As My garden grows, so will the PEACE I seek.
This outlet is also a blessing. I have never kept a Journal. I see now the value of writing these thoughts down. I also value the insights, and feedback that I get from My IC Familia.

Peace n LOVE; Twisted

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey TT...you might find these interesting: Puppy Personality Tests

http://www.findpuppiesnow.com/index.php?page=pup_development&sub=personality_tests

All of our puppy's are personality tested before they go to the new homes. They are each tested twice using two different tests, once at 6 weeks and again at 7 weeks. Testing a puppy at 6 weeks is not optimal, but to get an idea of personalities and the best place for each puppy we do this first test as a general guide. The test conducted when the puppies are 7 weeks old is a more accurate test of their personalities.

Puppy Test 1 is to get a basic understanding of the puppies personality for placement with the new parents. This test is conducted at 6 weeks of age.

Puppy Test 2 is to get a more detailed understanding to allow us to give training tips to the new parents. This test is conducted on or near day 49. This test is a Volhard test used by many breeders

Feel free to use either or both of these tests with your puppies or take them with you when you're going to pick out a new baby to add to your family.

Puppy Test 1:

I give this test at 5 or 6 weeks of age.

Temperament types:

A. Dominant
This puppy seems to be a rebellious one, not recommended as a pet, but excellent as a herding, agility, or obedience dog. Could be used as a watch dog if properly trained. Absolutely requires an experienced handler as this type of dog will always attempt to challenge human leadership.

B. Independent
This puppy seems to be a self-assured one, which requires a firm education and is not recommended if one has children.

C. Docile
This puppy seems to be obedient and stable.

D. Docile / Affectionate
Along with a docile temperament this pup will have an increased need for affection and should be perfectly suitable for children.

E. Timorous
This puppy seems to be an anxious one, may ill-behave with small children.

An E type may indicate a lack of imprinting, at an important stage of the puppy's development (0 to 6 weeks), which is often irreversible.

A majority of A's indicates an A-type of dog, a majority of B's a B-type, and so forth.

Test sequence:

Sociability
Put the puppy on the floor and move away, then attract it by clapping your hands.
A. Moves in your direction, jumps and chews at your hands.
B. Comes immediately, its tail high.
C. Comes and wags its tail.
D. Comes with a low tail.
E. Doesn't move at all in your direction.

Following

Move around the puppy first, then move out of its visual field, without calling it.
A. Follows you, chewing at your feet.
B. Follows you, its tail high.
C. Follows you, its tail low.
D. Follows you, hesitating, its tail low.
E. Doesn't follow you.

Acceptance of Dominance
Start stroking the puppy, first its head, then its neck and its back.
A. Jumps up, scratches, growls and bites.
B. Jumps up, scratches.
C. Turns around, licks your hands.
D. Turns on its back, licks your hands.
E. Moves away.

Acceptance of Constraint

Maintain the dog on its back by putting your hand on its breast.
A. Struggles and resists while chewing and growling.
B. Struggles and resists without chewing nor growling.
C. Resists at first, then calms down and licks your hands.
D. Doesn't resist at all and licks your hands.
E. Behaves incoherently: first resists, then calms down, then starts growling and struggling again.

The Elevation Test

Lift the puppy from the floor, with both hands around its breast.
A. Turns around vigorously, growls, bites.
B. Turns around vigorously.
C. Turns around, calms down and licks your hands.
D. Doesn't turn around, licks your hands.
E. Behaves incoherently, resists or shivers, then calms down, then growls or bites, then licks your hands.

As with any other personality test the target is not to achieve a 5 out of 5 result.
A majority already points towards a certain tendency.

The ideal puppy may still turn out a disaster if not properly raised and trained.

However, it is important to know that a type A, B or E will more easily deceive you if you're not prepared to invest a lot of time, energy and consistency in its education. Be also aware of the possible mismatch of personality with your own temper. If you have a dominant, consistent type of personality a type A or B dog may be more easily to raise then a D type, which may become even more submissive under your dominance.

Puppy Test 2:

I give this test at 7 weeks old

Social Attraction:
Place the puppy in test area. From a few feet away the tester coaxes the pup to her/him by clapping hands gently and kneeling down. Tester must coax in a direction away from the point where it entered the testing area. Degree of social attraction, confidence or dependence.

1. Came readily, excited, jumped, bit at hands
2. Came readily, excited, pawed, licked at hands.
3. Came readily, excited.
4. Came readily, not excited.
5. Came hesitantly, not excited.
6. Did not come at all.

Following:

Stand up and walk away from the pup in a normal manner. Make sure the pup sees you walk away. Degree of following attraction. Not following indicates independence.

1. Followed readily, excited, got underfoot, bit at feet.
2. Followed readily, excited, got underfoot.
3. Followed readily, excited.
4. Followed readily, not excited.
5. Followed hesitantly, not excited.
6. No following, or went away

Restraint:
Crouch down and gently roll the pup on his back and hold it with one hand for a full 30 seconds. Degree of dominant or submissive tendency. How it accepts stress when socially and/or physically dominated.

1. Struggled fiercely, flailed, bit.
2. Struggled fiercely, flailed.
3. Settled, struggled, settled with some eye contact.
4. Struggled, then settled.
5. No struggle.
6. No struggle, straining to avoid eye contact.

Social Dominance:

Let pup stand up and gently stroke him from the head to back while you crouch beside him. Continue stroking until a recognizable behavior is established. Degree of acceptance of social dominance pup may try to dominate by jumping and nipping or it is independent and walks away.

1. Jumped, pawed, bit growled.
2. Jumped, pawed.
3. Cuddles up to tester and tries to lick face.
4. Squirmed, licked at hands.
5. Rolled over, licked at hands.
6. Went away and stayed away.

Elevation Dominance:

Bend over and cradle the pup under its belly, fingers interlaced, palms up and elevate just off the ground. Hold it there for 30 seconds. Degree of accepting dominance while in position of no control.

1. Struggled fiercely, bit growled.
2. Struggled fiercely.
3. No struggle, relaxed.
4. Struggled, settled, licked.
5. No struggled, licked at hands.
6. No struggle, froze.

Retrieving:
Crouch beside pup and attract its attention with crumpled up paper ball. When the pup shows interest and is watching, toss the object 1 to 2 meters in front of pup. Degree of willingness to work with a human. High correlation between ability to retrieve and successful guide dogs, obedience dogs, field trial dogs.

1. Chases object, picks up object and runs away.
2. Chases object, stands over object, does not return.
3. Chases object and returns with object to tester.
4. Chases object and returns without object to tester.
5. Starts to chase object, loses interest.
6. Does not chase object.

Touch Sensitivity:
Take puppy’s webbing of one front foot and press between finger and thumb lightly, then more firmly till you get a response, while you count slowly to 10. Stop as soon as puppy pulls away or shows discomfort. Degree of sensitivity to touch.

1. 8 - 10 seconds before response.
2. 6 - 7 seconds before response.
3. 5 - 6 seconds before response.
4. 3- 4 seconds before response.
5. 1 - 2 seconds before response.

Sound Sensitivity:
Place pup in center of area. Testor of assistant makes a sharp noise a few feet from the puppy. A large metal spoon struck sharply on a metal pan twice works well. Degree of sensitivity to sound (also a rudimentary test for deafness).

1. Listens, locates sound, walks towards it barking.
2. Listens, locates sound, barks.
3. Listens, locates sound, and walks there curiously.
4. Listens, locates sound.
5. Cringes, backs off, hides.
6. Ignores sound, shows no curiosity.

Sight Sensitivity:
Place pup in center of room. Tie a string around a large towel and jerk it across the floor a few feet away from the puppy. Degree of intelligent response to strange object.

1. Looks, attacks and bites.
2. Looks, barks and excited.
3. Looks curiously, attempts to investigate.
4. Looks, barks, not excited
5. Runs away, hides.

Structure:
The puppy is gently set in a natural stance and evaluated for structure in the following categories: Degree of structural soundness. Good structure is necessary.

Good: The puppy is correct in structure.
Fair: The puppy has a slight fault or deviation.
Poor: The puppy has an extreme fault of deviation.

INTERPRETATION OF SCORES

Mostly 1’s:
This dog is extremely dominant and has aggressive tendencies. It is quick to bite and is generally considered not good with children or the elderly. When combined with a 1 or 2 in touch sensitivity, will be a difficult dog to train. Not a dog for the in experienced handler; takes a competent trainer to establish leadership.

Mostly 2’s:
This dog is dominant and can be provoked to bite. Responds well to firm, consistent, fair handling in an adult household, and is likely to be a loyal pet once it respects its human leader. Often has bouncy, outgoing temperament: may be too active for elderly, and too dominant for small children.

Mostly 3’s:
This dog accepts human leaders easily. Is best prospect for the average owner, adapts well to new situations and generally good with children and elderly, although it may be inclined to be active. Makes a good obedience prospect and usually has a common sense approach to life.

Mostly 4’s:
This dog is submissive and will adapt to most households. May be slightly less outgoing and active than a dog scoring mostly 3’s. Gets along well with children in general and trains well.

Mostly 5’s:
This dog is extremely submissive and needs special handling to build confidence and bring him out of his shell. Does not adapt well to change needs a very regular, structured environment. Usually safe around children and bites only when severely stressed. Not a good choice for a beginner since it frightens easily, and takes a long time to get used to new experiences.

Mostly 6’s:
This dog is independent. He is not affectionate and may dislike petting and cuddling. It is difficult to establish a relationship with him for working or as a pet. Not recommended for children who may force attention on him; he is not a beginner’s dog.

a) When combined with 1’s (especially in restraint); the independent dog is likely to bite under stress.
b) When combined with 5’s the independent dog is likely to hide from people, or freeze when approached by a stranger.

No clear patterns (several 1’s, 2’s and 5’s):
This dog may not be feeling well. Perhaps just ate or was recently wormed. Wait two days and re-test. If the test still shows wide variations (lots of 1’s and 5’s), it is probably unpredictable and unlikely to be a good pet or obedience dog.

SCORING TIPS

3 in Social Attraction and Social Dominance:
The socially attracted dog is more easily taught to come and is more cuddly and friendly. Its interest in people can be a useful tool in training, despite other scores.

1 in Restraint and 1 in Touch Sensitivity:
The dominant aggressive dog, insensitive to touch, will be a handful to train and extremely difficult for anyone other than an exceptionally competent handler.

5 in Social attraction:
This is likely to be a spooky dog that is never desirable. It requires a great deal of extra work to get a spooky dog adapted to new situations and they generally cannot be depended upon in a crisis.

5 in Touch and Sound Sensitivity:
May also be very spooky and needs delicate handling to prevent the dog from becoming frightened.

Last edited:

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Naw, I wont pick for another 2-3wks, at 5-6wks old.
Here's the kicker though,,, I had a job interview, and if offered the job, I will be working 12hr days. My wife is gone 11hrs a day for work.
If I were to go ahead and take a Pup,,,, Well I just cant do that to a Pup the poor dog would be kenneled up for all but a few hours a day. I don't see any way to get a pup house broke with so little time to dedicate to training.
I hope I get this job, and have to tell these nice Folks that I have to back out. I am not looking forward to that conversation. My Wife is terribly upset, She already fell in love with the pups. I may have been rash in looking for a new pup. I have been working on My relationships with Our 2 Labs. Both of Whom are Momma's Boy's. Ole Pete(choc.), and I are garden buddies now. He stays close(mostly) and juss chills around the yard. Jag(black) is only 2, and wants to be The Alpha, but is a little neurotic. His former Owners Father was a mean Bastard, and I am LOUD, so it gives lil Jago bad memories. He and I are bonding a LOT since Toby passed. Jag is a VERY smart dog. I have been modifying My behavior to get the mast outta Him. He really does want to be My dog.
My wife said that when We were in Mi. every time I left the room, or out on the jobsite That Jag spent a lot of time whining and looking for Me.
No matter how this turns out though, I am doing ok, and if it is whats meant to be,,, then it will be. Keep Ya posted.

Twisted

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

awww, that's sweet, sounds like Jag might have been respected Toby's place in your life & heart but now sees an opportunity to be closer, labs are awesome dogs.......

best of luck w/the job and all your other options 1TT :)

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Well, I got the job, and I decided to pick a pup. This is Remington (Remy). The pups were born on 6/11/14, and these pics were taken 7/8/14. The are weaning them now. kadi feeds them 2x daily, but by today they're dropping to 1/day. The Wife and I told the couple of Our concerns bout getting Him house broke wit Our schedule, and They agreed to help us by keeping Him, and training him for an extra few weeks. They had both His parents house broke by 10Wks. They already have a wood box of cedar shavings that the pups use 75% of the time to potty. I never heard of this B4 but it seems to work. Ok, Ok, Enough jabbering. Heres some pics of Remy.

Twisted

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I figured that is how this would end...lol. Once you see one and the idea set in your mind...it's hard to fight. Remy is one lucky pup!

dank.Frank

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Thnx dank frank. gonna probably be a month B4 Remy comes home, but I'm going to see Him tonight, and probably every few days until then. I am very lucky to be getting Remy from such a nice young couple. They are going to be a big help getting Remy started. without that Remy may have had to be an all outside dog. I have a nice 10x20 Preifert welded wire kennel. it doesn't sit on concrete at the moment. If I have to keep Him outside, I'll have to put down pavers for Him.
Any how, I'll be posting up pics, so Y'all can watch Lil Remy grow too.

Peace n Love; 1TT

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

would your new job preclude you from taking Remy in a vari-kennel in your truck??? he'll be small, light, easy to deal with for his first 10 months, by then you'd have another copilot broke in.......

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I have not asked, but I am guessing that will not be allowed.
I am going to work this job for about a year, and save most of what I take home.
In the Spring I'll be shopping for land. Most likely We will be moving to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We still may end up in the San Luis valley in Southern Colorado though.
I love it out in Co., but something bout the Yoop just felt like Me. Forrest, and lakes/rivers make Me more at Home than the High Desert/mountains do.
Just seems to be more of what is needed to survive. Water being the most important.
What ever happens we'll figure things out where Lil Remy's concerned.

Twisted

jpt again

ITT; Congrats on the new family member; Remy..I like that name. She sure is a cutie, too!

I sure love puppies. My last one is now 5 and still like a puppy, in many respects. That post of how 'protective' females are..true here.

My little dog is about 9 lbs and she loves all of the critters around here: skunks, raccoons, possums and weasels; A raccoon popped cover to lock her doggy door and my little dog ran barking and chasing it, in an unfriendly way. Odd for my little dog; by the time I arrived in the back yard, there she was; bouncing up and down on a thin plywood board, with each bark and protecting me from the raccoon, hiding under the house.

Normally, she would be crying to play with it. You are going to have tons of fun with REMY! I love her colors! :ying: jpt

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not asked, but I am guessing that will not be allowed.
I am going to work this job for about a year, and save most of what I take home.
In the Spring I'll be shopping for land. Most likely We will be moving to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We still may end up in the San Luis valley in Southern Colorado though.
I love it out in Co., but something bout the Yoop just felt like Me. Forrest, and lakes/rivers make Me more at Home than the High Desert/mountains do.
Just seems to be more of what is needed to survive. Water being the most important.
What ever happens we'll figure things out where Lil Remy's concerned.

Twisted

definitely the water bro, every time I think about moving from here I consider the risks involved in finding good drinking water. my deep well is only 66' down and I have awesome odor and rust free water, just a bit hard (calcium) is all, that can be removed by RO easily. There are several aquifers under my land to choose from too, we got water up here.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Thanks JPT, but Remy is a lil Boy. I think We'll go see Him again today. of course I'll bring back more pics.

Peace; 1TT

Latest posts

Latest posts