What's new

The Thai

bushweed....great pics of great plants.....:respect:
Definitely inspires me to want to put in some sativa.

Love the size of that thing going into the ground.

P.

S

scai

much respect and inspiration as always kangativa. you mentioned shati's mazar and i came up with zip/nota on my web search including over at mns. can you point me in the right direction if this strain is available from some site? thanks.

Does it have to be shanti's?
Ace has Mazar-i -sharif
And Attitude many varieties

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Salut les brozs'

I think that South Africans genpool could come from South Ouest Asia, by the old Austronesian migration to Madagascar, a long time ago before our history knowledge. Its my own smoker theory but its what my canna babes told me to educate my dreams. So IMHO i think we can consider Zamal, Swazi and after Malawi as a descent gen from South Asia. The same theory can also put into question the origin known of cannabis from North Asian. Anyway before the last glacial peirod, areas of possible canna origins lie closer to the equator! It's like a reverse polarity of our historical knowledge lol :D

Hey Kanga' ; how goes your Mazari*Thaï (or Thaï*Mazari?) I think the stuff can be considered as a well backcrossing of the old Kafiristan*Sativa made and created in Mazar i shariff a long time ago! Great canna job bro :ying:

Kenavo ave chal

MildeStoner

Veteran
Many of our SA genes are from up in Africa, bantu people traditionally do most of our growing and would have brought their strains with.them from congo, Malawi, etc etc. I believe there would likely be Asian genes in our durban poison, many Indian people.living and smoking up there for centuries. Again, mere speculation. We certainly have bit of melting pot going on down here..

Beautiful thais! :thank you:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Many of our SA genes are from up in Africa, bantu people traditionally do most of our growing and would have brought their strains with.them from congo, Malawi, etc etc. (...)

:) That's the currently accepted history MildeStoner, but i think history forgets too easily the Khoisan people and them deep roots! Which are precisely a human type more closer to Asians than Cameroonian or Congolese! In fact i think that the Khoisan people had cannabis and its uses in their culture well long before the arrival of Bantu and Zulu in South Africa. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4692745&postcount=10

Khoisan man

picture.php

Maybe an off topic sorry but the special power of South African cannabis makes me dream and thinking a lot! :D

MildeStoner

Veteran
Okay, but I will say this: the cannabis grown in the bantu homeland and durban is far superior to the local herb from the western cape, karroo and other khoi san areas. Not much evidence of khoi san people domesticating cannabis as far as I know? Apologies for the off topic posts

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
All SA and more is the real Khoisan area bro
They are refugees today but far in the past they were the kings!

MildeStoner

Veteran
Yeah, but there are areas where the khoi san were more concentrated than others. The cape, where I live was certainly one of the major long term foraging, hunting areas. The local cannabis here is terrible. Further up, it improves, seems to get better the closer to the border you get imho

cannabisnz

Wow... I've been searching for that Thai for over twenty years. I truly thought it was extinct.

From the pictures it looks like the right one.

cannabisnz

aka mongoose
aka scrubdog

bushweed

Veteran
Gday scrubdog how's it going mate? It just so happens that I'm crossing a pre 99 SSH x your Thai 82 male to this female Thai. Might be a bit hit and miss, but should throw a few interesting phenotypes. Kanga's crossing her to a standout Oaxacan that should produce some very special dope indeed. Are you still working with the Thai 82?

cannabisnz

Hi Bushweed, mate

I got busted for cultivation again and lost all my Thai82 seeds. That's why I changed names because I also lost my ISP while I was locked up.

Found about 20 Thai82 X RSC Highland Lao that had rolled under the fridge so I'm starting again with them. A mate sent me some WOS Wild Thai seeds. He grew a couple of packs and got one pure Thai (the rest looked to be Kush hybrids) that hit about 20 feet and had seeds. We're not sure what seeded it though.

So I've got a few of those two SE Asian strains in the ground as we speak. I planted 30 ACE Malawi but we've just had one of the coldest and wettest springs on record. Those African plants hate wet feet and any temps below 10 degrees celcius. Long story short I've got about 4 left alive and they're not happy.

Was going to hit them with NH but 18 seeds germinated and 18 NH plants died as soon as I planted them out. Shanti offered to replace them and there's meant to be La Nina on the way which I'm really, really excited about because it apparently is half MM.

Bought some Red Thai from RSC but Angus sent Kerala by mistake apparently. Hasn't shown up and not sure what's going to happen there. I've grown Kerala plenty of times before and it's okay but not really what I'm after. It is probably the most mould resistant strain I've ever grown.

You got me all excited with those GN Thai pictures. That's the sort of plants I like to grow. Have to see how this new location I'm trying works out. Spent all winter working on it but the ground is still way too heavy so it stays wet and cold damn it. Just not happening for me so far this season.

cannabisnz

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Scrubdog. Nice to meet you here.

I was sure that you must be M0ng00se. You are an authority about Thai Stick. I have copied and pasted your article about Thai and Mr. Asia Syndicate many times. Even before in this thread. :thank you:

I hope that the GN Thai would be what your are looking for. The description of the high that Kangativa wrote makes it very likely. GN-Thai is from Nong Khai province which shares border with Udon Thani.

This pic is from an Early Mullum leaf, Kangativa says that is very similar to the 70's Thais. But it's different to the GN Thai.

picture.php

Hi ya mate.....Lol yeah I know I was being respectful:tiphat:

I dont know if you ever got to grow out the odd seed from the Sticks we got in the 70's, but this is exactly the type of leaf that showed on the plants, same colour and shape, even me mate said the same.
Seems there a bit of interest in those Thais...lol
Give me a couple of days and Ill get back to u on those.
No mate no pics of the Thai's yet as clones are being done before they go out so they can be sexed and the Clone from Gypsy's is just about to go out.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4743380#post4743380

Hi Bushweed. Nice to meet you here again my friend. The pics of your huge three branched Thai are actually amazing. I hope that she have got you very high. She seems a big yielder.

Best regards. :thank you:

cannabisnz

Hi Ahortator

Ha I know that leaf very well indeed. I've grown heaps of that stuff over the years. Very distinctive plants that branch like crazy all over the place and have odd green buds that I have never managed to ripen properly. That is one strain I've never ever managed to get to finish. Has a very distinctive taste and appearance. You have to love those leaves though.

There is no actual Thai Stick strain as such. It all depends on who you want to believe and how far back you want to go. The first ever Mr Asia Thai Stick shipment supposedly did come from a single tribe in a single region but later shipments came from where ever they could get it. Later still they were contracting growers and there is even a story that the syndicate dropped off Thai growers on some Indonesian island to grow plantations on contract.

Then all Thai Stick isn't equal. The early stuff, which was brown, was the legend. Later sticks were green and interestingly enough the paler the green then the weaker the weed. The later stuff tasted nothing at all like the early stuff. Even the later stuff was pretty potent though.

I have so many stories about Thai stick. Mr asia (Terry Clark and co) shipped the sticks by fishing boat into Auckland. Sometimes pickup was done with launches but that's another story. The sticks flowed from Auckland straight down the North Island to Wellington using an existing Mr Asia delivery chain. I could even tell you the names of many of the people in that chain. Most of them are old men or dead now.

I lived in Palmy about halfway down the chain and we got sticks within days of them arriving in the country. We called them "buddah sticks" or just "buddah." Now I see garbage all over the net about buddah sticks being some other weed that came from India or I even read a thread the other day that reckoned buddah sticks come from the Himalayas. People just make stuff up on the net and then people believe it and next thing you know it starts getting recited as fact.

Mr asia aka Terry Clark and Marty johnstone were kiwis though they eventually moved their operation to Aussie. The original Thai Stick syndicate was kiwi based and NZ was the home of the Thai Stick. It was everywhere. I'm a kiwi and I was there.

Now we have people from all over the world claiming all sorts of rubbish about Thai Stick. Most of them are dreaming and they never got the real thing because we couldn't get enough of the stuff ourselves. The syndicate didn't need to ship it around the world because we bought the lot locally and still couldn't get enough. The local market swallowed tons of the stuff.

Thai Stick started me growing and I've been growing off and on ever since... always chasing Thai strains... always after that legendary original Thai strain.

Over the years I have seen several distinct strains from Thai Stick seeds.... and for the record the seeds weren't hard to germinate at all. That leaf you show in your pic is identical to one strain, that GN Thai (Gypsy) of Kangitiva is another.

My favourite strain as I've mentioned elsewhere actually came from Queensland Australia and was supposedly from Thai Stick originally. Maybe it was early MM? All I know is it grew tropical plants with huge seeds, gigantic leaves and a phenonemal growth rate. That's all I really know about it but I've been searching for it again ever since.

cannabisnz

Terroir

Hi Ahortator

Ha I know that leaf very well indeed. I've grown heaps of that stuff over the years. Very distinctive plants that branch like crazy all over the place and have odd green buds that I have never managed to ripen properly. That is one strain I've never ever managed to get to finish. Has a very distinctive taste and appearance. You have to love those leaves though.

There is no actual Thai Stick strain as such. It all depends on who you want to believe and how far back you want to go. The first ever Mr Asia Thai Stick shipment supposedly did come from a single tribe in a single region but later shipments came from where ever they could get it. Later still they were contracting growers and there is even a story that the syndicate dropped off Thai growers on some Indonesian island to grow plantations on contract.

Then all Thai Stick isn't equal. The early stuff, which was brown, was the legend. Later sticks were green and interestingly enough the paler the green then the weaker the weed. The later stuff tasted nothing at all like the early stuff. Even the later stuff was pretty potent though.

I have so many stories about Thai stick. Mr asia (Terry Clark and co) shipped the sticks by fishing boat into Auckland. Sometimes pickup was done with launches but that's another story. The sticks flowed from Auckland straight down the North Island to Wellington using an existing Mr Asia delivery chain. I could even tell you the names of many of the people in that chain. Most of them are old men or dead now.

I lived in Palmy about halfway down the chain and we got sticks within days of them arriving in the country. We called them "buddah sticks" or just "buddah." Now I see garbage all over the net about buddah sticks being some other weed that came from India or I even read a thread the other day that reckoned buddah sticks come from the Himalayas. People just make stuff up on the net and then people believe it and next thing you know it starts getting recited as fact.

Mr asia aka Terry Clark and Marty johnstone were kiwis though they eventually moved their operation to Aussie. The original Thai Stick syndicate was kiwi based and NZ was the home of the Thai Stick. It was everywhere. I'm a kiwi and I was there.

Now we have people from all over the world claiming all sorts of rubbish about Thai Stick. Most of them are dreaming and they never got the real thing because we couldn't get enough of the stuff ourselves. The syndicate didn't need to ship it around the world because we bought the lot locally and still couldn't get enough. The local market swallowed tons of the stuff.

Thai Stick started me growing and I've been growing off and on ever since... always chasing Thai strains... always after that legendary original Thai strain.

Over the years I have seen several distinct strains from Thai Stick seeds.... and for the record the seeds weren't hard to germinate at all. That leaf you show in your pic is identical to one strain, that GN Thai (Gypsy) of Kangitiva is another.

My favourite strain as I've mentioned elsewhere actually came from Queensland Australia and was supposedly from Thai Stick originally. Maybe it was early MM? All I know is it grew tropical plants with huge seeds, gigantic leaves and a phenonemal growth rate. That's all I really know about it but I've been searching for it again ever since.

cannabisnz

Awesome.

I will ask my old kiwi fisherman, mussel farmer, cray poacher cannabis grower mate who visits once a year re this.
Wonder if the old coromandel gold etc were related. He only grows from clone now. Not much seed running around in his circle of old tokers.

QLD thai buddah was just another name back in the day. I only heard about it early in my smoking days in the early 90's. Then hydro came in and the rest was history....

bushweed

Veteran
Hi Bushweed. Nice to meet you here again my friend. The pics of your huge three branched Thai are actually amazing. I hope that she have got you very high. She seems a big yielder.

Hi ahortator, nice to see you amigo. Yes the the tri-limbed Thai clone was a beauty - basically three 12' xmas trees in one....
picture.php

picture.php

But still nothing like as huge as the original lot, I remember Kangativa said they were so tall he had to use binoculars to check for hermi flowers
smile.gif

Interesting to note that the GN Thai colas while remaining green on the tree, cured to a bluey-brown.

Also here's a comparison of Kangativa's early MM leaf and GN Thai stick. What's remarkable about the Thai leaf is their length, though it's notable that the cloned plant pictured above, predominantly produced 3 fingered leaves and never more than 5 fingers.
picture.php

picture.php

Heya scrubdog thanks for the interesting reminiscence mate, hope your Thai x Lao and Malawi bears some nice fruit for ya bro...

cannabisnz

hiya BushWeed

Love your pix mate. Kangativa is a legend. I've never seen so many big plants in my life before.

I keep hoping to see those Queensland plants I grew 20 years ago but I've still not seen them. You and kangativa must have run into them surely?

They had the biggest seeds I've ever seen before or since with no markings on the seed. Right from germination the plants were bigger than normal and they grew at a ridiculous rate with these huge drooping tropical looking leaves. I had them in pots and couldn't hide them. Everywhere I moved them they would outgrow the pots and the surrounding vegetation. Hell I've been growing well over 20 years, probably over 30 years... and I've never ever seen that strain again.

There is another strain I once saw only in photos on the internet years ago of these plants growing in a paddock in the USA midwest. They were thirty feet tall and from a distance they just looked like a single cola from top to bottom. Up close they had really short branches all the way up this giant main stem. I have no idea what that stuff was but it's another strain I've never ever seen again.

I don't think I can compete with you guys. Your growing season is longer and hotter and drier. Still I'm going to have a go anyway. Nothing like a bit of a challenge aye.

cannabisnz

bushweed

Veteran
Hiya mate, what comes to mind is a sativa I've seen that has those big unmarked seeds you described. It came from bagseeds I found in an ounce from Nimbin a few years back - very euphoric and spiritual grass - but needed a cure of 6 months to bring out the real potency. After germination it outgrew everything in sight including some MM hybrids, except most phenos tended to grow out sidewards, apart from the best pheno - what I called the Thai - anyway those sideways phenos proceeded to flower in February making me think that they contained a significant amount of Afghani. After some investigation I assumed it was Old Mother sativa x Skunk 1 and a guy on the forums by the name of sensient who along with Kog made that cross, agreed it looked like his cross.

Anyway big, dark, unmarked seeds, with incredible early vigour, long fingered highland Thai leaves, heads cured to brown, and a very fine sweet citrus high that took some curing to bring out length of high. Weird thing is...of 6 seeds germinated thus far, I've only ever got 6 females?? Definitely a sat/ind cross, but maybe the sat element - clearly thai - may be the Qld Thai you're referring to....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Bushweed, nice to see you my friend.

If Kangativa said that his Thais were "so tall" I can imagine that they must be actually huge, because for him 20' plants are not something uncommon.

Three 12' Xmas trees Thai with that thick trunks must be something memorable, along with the trippy high. She is a very beautiful plant. You must have needed an axe or a chain saw to harvest that tree.

I have seen a few months ago a pack of GN-Thai Stick, and the seeds were really big. If your Nimbin OMSxSkunk has bigger seeds they must be like chickpeas.

This summer I gave four Sumatran (not a Thai but perhaps related) cuttings to a friend from four different plants. These cuttings grew from 4 inches unrooted to about 1 meter tall plants in a month and two weeks. My friend told me that the last days the growing speed was becoming faster. Sadly he saw a few male flowers in some plants and along with the fast growing rate made him go into panic mode and he chopped all the four plants. So a late blooming plant that can grow a meter per month it's not something crazy here.

But here people don't like huge monsters, they prefer weak dwarf Russian lawn.

In my balcony the sun don't reach the plants during flowering time, so they don't grow so healthy and oidium infested them again. At least I will get some seeds. I hope that the rain don't soak the seeds in the plants again dropping the germination rate as it happened last time.

I would like to grow them in guerrilla like you there in Oz. Would you be be so kind as to tell the hidden secrets of your watering method? Here, during vegetative growing, in summer, it doesn't fall a drop of water. And during flowering time, in autumn and winter it rains cats and dogs. We have the weather reversed :D

Hi Scrubdog

It is very interesting what you say. So the most interesting Thai strain must be the first (older) strain with brown buds.

Do you think that GN-Thai could be the present day descendant from that stuff? Or were they more similar to Kangativa's Early Mullum with deeply serrated leaves? The pic I posted before is from Kangativa, not mine.

I think that the story you told about Terry Clark, Marty Johnstone and Thai stick shipments in NZ is actually very fascinating. It would be great if you can tell more about it, please.

It is not Thai but I have read about a strain from La Reunión island called Zamal Mangue-Carrotte that is very psychedelic. Many said it is the more similar to mushrooms or LSD high that you can get from cannabis.

The problem again is that it is very difficult to find pure unhybridized seeds.

I hope that you find soon that huge Queensland Thai you are looking for.

Best regards.