What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Thai

Bob Green

Hundreds of those Gypsie Thai packs where sold. I am willing to bet that someone will do a decent job of reproducing it. Hardest part will be finding desirable and stable males and top notch selected females to start refining the line.

But with a thread like this I am sure the sativa heads took note and acted accordingly.

riddly

Same clone line for 15+ years and I have seen no change whatsoever, and this is with taking new cuttings every grow.

Cheers :)

if you take a cutting from a mother plant that looks robust and vigorous and then every 3 years you repeat the procedure (till you see that the mother doesn't start showing anomalies, like signs of degeneration) then you're safe. even more so the way you do it, that is, taking new cuttings every grow (from the mother not the clones)

If the entire open line with all its genes is conserved/preserved, that is, with the maximum number of possible individuals/specimens there will be no degeneration.

It can lose vigor and degenerate in some cases, when it is not given the means and the optimal conditions, light, water, air, earth.

To avoid degeneration you can clone the mother and continue with the cuttings and "sacrifice" the mother. I would do it after about 3 years. it also depends on how I see it (the mother), and its genetics also do have their influence, they do play their part in this...

cheers

riddly

Hundreds of those Gypsie Thai packs where sold. I am willing to bet that someone will do a decent job of reproducing it. Hardest part will be finding desirable and stable males and top notch selected females to start refining the line.

But with a thread like this I am sure the sativa heads took note and acted accordingly.

Hardest thing (for me) is the guys from Seedboutique or Gypsny Nirvana to reply. Been trying to talk to them mfor the past year or so through here and through seedboutique to no avail....

if this is how their customer service work, there's much to improve...
sent gypsy nirvana couple of messages from time to time but never a reply. I'm wary that if i place an order it will never be acknoledged and sent out ...

if you take a cutting from a mother plant that looks robust and vigorous and then every 3 years you repeat the procedure (till you see that the mother doesn't start showing anomalies, like signs of degeneration) then you're safe. even more so the way you do it, that is, taking new cuttings every grow (from the mother not the clones)

If the entire open line with all its genes is conserved/preserved, that is, with the maximum number of possible individuals/specimens there will be no degeneration.

It can lose vigor and degenerate in some cases, when it is not given the means and the optimal conditions, light, water, air, earth.

To avoid degeneration you can clone the mother and continue with the cuttings and "sacrifice" the mother. I would do it after about 3 years. it also depends on how I see it (the mother), and its genetics also do have their influence, they do play their part in this...

cheers
Hey Riddly. You might have misunderstood what I actually do. I have never kept a mother plant, I just take new cuttings off the plant I'm flowering when the plant is turned to 12/12 or within about 6 days after.

As for degeneration of clone lines, the genetic code cannot change with vegetative reproduction. What can possibly happen in rare cases is an incomplete switching of genes from on to off to back on again, or vice versa. For example, a cutting taken in full flower may in some cases never come back fully to a vegetative state and continue to seem in a pre-flowering state even under long light hours.

There have been many famous clone only strains in circulation for many years and they seem to be still doing their thing in many different hands and under widely variable conditions.

Cheers :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This raises an interesting question for me. Does the potency of clones deteriorate over time?

If so, this would mean that the job of the breeder doesn't end with finding a grail line and resting on his laurels, but maintaing and reinvigorating that line as well. Hard work!
nope , no change ,
would be pointless to keep them if they degenerated in a short period of time ,
its the same thing as taking a cutting from any other plant ,
all the traits of the mother are present ...
its the same plant ....

ive heard some crazy stoner stories ,
but i can tell you they are not accurate ,
they are simply crazy stoner stories ..

Raho

Veteran
nope , no change ,
would be pointless to keep them if they degenerated in a short period of time ,
its the same thing as taking a cutting from any other plant ,
all the traits of the mother are present ...
its the same plant ....

ive heard some crazy stoner stories ,
but i can tell you they are not accurate ,
they are simply crazy stoner stories ..

All the information required to reproduce the exact plant is preserved in the DNA, a copy of which is stored in every cell of the plant.
The idea that this genetic code is fragile and volatile is fueled by lack of knowledge of basic genetics and biology.

People see plants behave differently over time and are quick to attribute any difference to "genetic drift" or "mutation." These are rare, sexy occurrences in nature.
Much more interesting to blame "genetic drift" that the much more logical and reasonable assumption that some combination of different environmental variables has impacted the way the plant grows.
Even when mistreated and grown poorly for generations, a cutting of the same stock nursed back to health can produce growth and flowers/resin identical to the original.
Everything a cutting needs to do it is stored throughout the plant.

When a person gets the flu or some other illness, you don't assume that the cause of the symptoms is a mutation or change in the persons DNA. Plants are the same.

Wally nails it here. Crazy stoner stories.

People would be wise to stop taking stoner science at face value and spend 3 minutes on the internet to read a page or two of basic biology/agricultural science outside of cannabis.
This is all well documented researched stuff.

BTW: I had a pack of GN thai stick seeds and they were normal sized beans, not especially large at all.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Yup.

Sam has explained how his 30-yr old cuts have not changed in any way, and we all know how much lab testig he's done over those 30 years.

I got the 30(40?)-yrs old clone of Gooey mom.
Amazing plant.

One big thing that will affect a clone is how old you let the parent get before cloning.
Seems like everyone cuts around 30-60 days.
I never cut less than 100 days and I really prefer to do it 500 days (1.5+ years).
I think that that one factor is what has made my progeny so outstanding. Rogue River Valley (S. Oregon) said that in the 25 yrs of growing, theyve never seen vigor like my lines have.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi all, As most of you know I spent alot of this season growing landrace strains and I must admit I was pleasently surprised how some of them turned out. Some standouts were the Malana Cream from RSC, The Kariba Surprise which was originaly from African Seeds, this strain outdid all the other African strains by a country mile. The Mazar which is from Shanti's collection, this was the best Indica I have ever smoked and it is not only me that has said this.
But little did I know that there would be a surprise waiting for me....As you know I also did alot of Gypsy's Laos and Thai stick and unless you have the patience these are not recommended for the indoor grower or even the outdoor grower unless you have the space and climate, as I have only just harvested them and it is the middle of winter here and I still have one Laos that is only just heading and a few other Thai's still flowering.
I also had problems with the Laos as it had a few hermies amongst them, not so for the Thai's. I also had trouble with the size of these plants and the breaking of branches during storms.
All in all they were a difficult plant to keep healthy and lush, but out of all this trouble came a plant that is exactly like the 70's smoke that we used to get in the form of the Thai stick, this plant produces a stone that is so trippy and long lasting that it leaves you thinking you have just dropped a acid trip and i do not joke.
So for you guys who are willing to try the Thai stick from Gypsy the reward could blow your mind.
On a final note I would like to thank Gypsy for making the effort to find this strain and make it available, you have made a dream come true:tiphat:
I'm rereading this thread as a prelude to sprouting some 50% Gypsy Thai seeds and some Laos seeds, among others. Since I'm a grower in the very north end of a Mediterranean climate, I'll be making seeds by crossing them with some early flowering genetics. But don't you worry, these early flowering genetics have had Thai crosses blended into them numerous times over the span of 35+ years.

I see I neglected to rep a lot of posts that deserve it. Just wanted to explain why I may be stirring up this old thread. Any Thai Stick thread or good Thai genetics deserve this treatment. Thanks to Kangtiva for starting this thread, and long live The Thai.

ThaiBliss

canna.ballistic

What a great thread ... some of those guys certainly had their finger on the pulse with growing magnificent jaw-dropping :jawdrop: plants ... and a lot of interesting history presented as well ... thanks !!

No-one seems to have mentioned Ace's 'Green Haze x Thai' ... my contribution is only a little weedy bubba compared to some of those trees which Bushweed, Kangativa and others were growing.

One GHT girl on left (9') surrounded by three GHT boys (to right and behind) with tallest at 11'
picture.php

A lonely girl (just over 8 weeks into flower) after chopping down the boys a few days ago
picture.php

Very airy and leafy buds which appear to have been successfully seeded
picture.php

Leyla29

I am a new member (first post) I was gifted a seed from Thailand and currently have a huge 3+ meter Sativa monster growing in an atrium- I have managed to do a number of clones (with thanks to a friend). I am very new to growing but thoroughly enjoying the challenge. My friend who helped me clone suggested I join this group and pointed me here. I am not sure what I have is “Thai Stick” I call her “Thai Mother” she has been growing since June 2018 and only now is she just starting her budding. My hybrid in the same time is already being harvested.

I am not sure yet if I can post pictures but would be interested to learn more about her.

P

psilocybevybe

hey ,leyla, is it a low land or highland collected thai? all the best for your grow :)

romanoweed

Hi Ahortator

Also, for the record, you'll see some huge sativas in the old photos of the Cannabis Castle (I think that is what it was called) in Holland and there used to be photos somewhere on the net of a huge crop in Switzerland in a commercial greenhouse with a 20 foot roof height and the whole crop had hit the roof and run out of room without even starting to flower.

culd you insert some of These Images? please? would be nice

SmokeyAu

stunning plants , Kangativa and everyone, no where to grow those here, but autos will do for now, awesome to see how strains and sativas are still about in oz

MrFecund

Hi all, As most of you know I spent alot of this season growing landrace strains and I must admit I was pleasently surprised how some of them turned out. Some standouts were the Malana Cream from RSC, The Kariba Surprise which was originaly from African Seeds, this strain outdid all the other African strains by a country mile. The Mazar which is from Shanti's collection, this was the best Indica I have ever smoked and it is not only me that has said this.
But little did I know that there would be a surprise waiting for me....As you know I also did alot of Gypsy's Laos and Thai stick and unless you have the patience these are not recommended for the indoor grower or even the outdoor grower unless you have the space and climate, as I have only just harvested them and it is the middle of winter here and I still have one Laos that is only just heading and a few other Thai's still flowering.
I also had problems with the Laos as it had a few hermies amongst them, not so for the Thai's. I also had trouble with the size of these plants and the breaking of branches during storms.
All in all they were a difficult plant to keep healthy and lush, but out of all this trouble came a plant that is exactly like the 70's smoke that we used to get in the form of the Thai stick, this plant produces a stone that is so trippy and long lasting that it leaves you thinking you have just dropped a acid trip and i do not joke.
So for you guys who are willing to try the Thai stick from Gypsy the reward could blow your mind.
On a final note I would like to thank Gypsy for making the effort to find this strain and make it available, you have made a dream come
true:tiphat:

I have 3 unopened packs of gypsies thai stick in long term storage for when I can grow again. things on my mind ae a small open pollination and a cross with a couple strains that are around 3/4 sativa.

I have to tell you I don't even know what thai smokes like, im not from that generation, but I am glad I will have the chance one day.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
50% Kangativa's Gypsy Thai selection, 25% Mullum, and 25% Neville's Haze:
picture.php

Bad Lower Back Super Laos:
picture.php

I don't have the right climate, but I'm going to cross these with an earlier ripening line that has had pure Thai introduced into their ancestry more than a few times. I've been hammering S.E. Asian related genetics into these seeds for 40 years with the most recent ones being Kali Mist and Trainwreck. I'm just stubborn that way because Thai and a special Neville's Haze selection I found were among the best highs I've ever had. I smoked Thai sticks for about a decade back in the day. I've not added anything that looks so legit as these since the early 1980s. I'm also am using a Duban Poison to cross them with.

ThaiBliss

P

psilocybevybe

View Image

View Image

I don't have the right climate, but I'm going to cross these with an earlier ripening line that has had pure Thai introduced into their ancestry more than a few times. I've been hammering S.E. Asian related genetics into these seeds for 40 years with the most recent ones being Kali Mist and Trainwreck. I'm just stubborn that way because Thai and a special Neville's Haze selection I found were among the best highs I've ever had. I smoked Thai sticks for about a decade back in the day. I've not added anything that looks so legit as these since the early 1980s. I'm also am using a Duban Poison to cross them with.

ThaiBliss

yee haw thaibliss :dance013:subbed and drooling , lovely specimens

luvaduck

View Image

View Image

I'm just stubborn that way because Thai and a special Neville's Haze selection I found were among the best highs I've ever had.

ThaiBliss

Hi ThaiBliss, that BLB Lao has a lovely high as well, and a great plant to grow as you no doubt already know. I grew a cutting of Donald Mallards selection, it was very vigourous, produced well through the wettest season we have had for years, and produced excellent flowers for a 'landrace'.