What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

Rinse

Veteran
Sativa's grown @ 52N.

Zambian

Ethiopian

Nepalese

The Zambian is "trip weed", it is focused with no confusion or paro.
The Nep is too but more dreamy less clear, very euphoric though.
The Eth had the longest lasting and most subtle effect.

Both the Africana's needed longer to flower, evident by the green buds.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The Zambian most qualifies as "trip weed", it is focused with no confusion or paro.
Both the Africana's needed longer to flower, evident by the green buds.

Hi Rinse,

Thanks for posting. So... Zambian huh? Is this related to that S. African strain that everyone talks about? I can't seem to remember the name right now. It is supposed to be real speedy, red hairs, a tendency towards hermaphrodites, and tastes like licorice. It's on the tip of my tongue, but... Did Zambian taste like licorice? I tried a Dutch Passion version of that S. African strain and it did not work out. It is so easy to go off track with a batch of seeds. Especially because it takes so much time to test the offspring of a male, or even a female for that matter. I'd love to hear more about the Zambian. Zambian Copper, right?

Are these greenhouse buds? I'm still on the lookout for a greenhouse. I've got to stop this indoor growing. It's going to ruin this planet using all that electricity, even if we do have a lot of wind and hydro power in these parts. I have that Bangi Haze that I like to bring down the flowering time of the trip weed that I'm determined to find. Bangi Haze has Nepalese in it. It is such a clean and clear high, with an energy and empathy to it. Irie! It just needs a bit more kick. Do you know if your Nepalese is the same that was used in Bangi Haze?

Thanks Rinse,

ThaiBliss

B

bringyalungs

Thai how did you get the lama bread? Let me know either way... From the islands and that's all we heard growing up... Would look to give it a run... Blessings

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thai how did you get the lama bread? Let me know either way... From the islands and that's all we heard growing up... Would look to give it a run... Blessings

Hi Mesosphere,

I was very fortunate to meet a friend who happened to have it and was kind enough to pass it along to me.

All: I remembered the name of Durban Poison as soon as I logged off the computer this morning. Ha!

ThaiBliss

Rinse

Veteran
Hi Rinse,

Thanks for posting. So... Zambian huh? Is this related to that S. African strain that everyone talks about? I can't seem to remember the name right now. It is supposed to be real speedy, red hairs, a tendency towards hermaphrodites, and tastes like licorice. It's on the tip of my tongue, but... Did Zambian taste like licorice? I tried a Dutch Passion version of that S. African strain and it did not work out. It is so easy to go off track with a batch of seeds. Especially because it takes so much time to test the offspring of a male, or even a female for that matter. I'd love to hear more about the Zambian. Zambian Copper, right?

Are these greenhouse buds? I'm still on the lookout for a greenhouse. I've got to stop this indoor growing. It's going to ruin this planet using all that electricity, even if we do have a lot of wind and hydro power in these parts. I have that Bangi Haze that I like to bring down the flowering time of the trip weed that I'm determined to find. Bangi Haze has Nepalese in it. It is such a clean and clear high, with an energy and empathy to it. Irie! It just needs a bit more kick. Do you know if your Nepalese is the same that was used in Bangi Haze?

Thanks Rinse,

ThaiBliss

Yah its Zambian Copper, it did not have a full on licorice taste but was defo pepper/licorice/woody/spice, typical African flavor which is just what I like.
It is more potent than Eth, less vigorous, and finishes around the same time which is late Nov but needing longer really.

They were all grown 100% outdoor except the Zam which was moved to greenhouse for the last 2 weeks of flower.
They were all grown on different years. None of them hermed.

The Eth was around 9ft tall with a very wide girth at finish, and yielded about 10x what the other 2 did, but like I said, different years. The Zam was in a pot also so no fair comparison there.

Eth was definetley not couchlock, but not amped up either, just very balanced, very natural feeling, perfect for burning in the woods and experiencing the stillness.
It burned hot but tasted OK.

The Nepal is an old Danish Nepal line, finishes in September,
I want to cross it to Zambian, but being preoccupied with hashplants I haven't yet got round to it.

Bangi haze Ive heard many good things about, actually was thinking to grow it this year but no space, and mixed reports on finishing times, some people have reported Nepjam and Orient express to be quicker...But Im sure Il get round to it.
Im very interested in the Bangi Congo used for BH, also the Viet Black used in OE.
Im surprised Ace didnt cross those 2 satis yet in a f1, sounds good to me anyway.

Here are some grow pics>

Eth

Nep

Zam

DJXX

Veteran
SOARING HIGH TO TRIPPY....Tangie is just rockin the sativa world...ck it out...dj

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Rinse -

Thanks for the pictures. Oh, those Zambian light colored long leaflets look like it is saying "check me out" to me. Looks like you did a great job with all of them. It sure is hard work getting good homegrown living in the cool north.
:biggrin:

DJ -

I hope you find some time soon to give us more detail, possibly pictures, and a smoke report of the "Tangie".

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Bushy,

The Mostly Malawi, Zamaldelica (Zamal x Golden Tiger (Meao Thai, Malawi)) x Malawi, that I have in the oven is starting to look more and more like the ancient Thai archetype that you have been seeing pop out of some of your Thai related work. I've been following your posts in the "Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread", one of my favorite threads. The tops of the plant just keep growing and the buds get smaller and smaller at the top. I'm starting to see some noticeable amounts of resin. I'm thinking that I need to collect some bamboo sticks to wrap the little buds around on in order to make it look impressive. I'll take some pictures again in a week or two.

I wouldn't mind at all if you posted some of those unusual Thai plant pictures here. The foundation of my experience of trip weed, and the most I've consumed over the longest period of time is Thai Stick.

ThaiBliss

bushweed

Veteran
Hi TB,
That invitation could be a dangerous thing, I can wax and polish this shit ad infinitum. :woohoo:

OK I'm growing a number of Afopips Malawi Gold that were beautifully preserved by Aussie grower billyblog, and my observation of this strain is much the same as yours, that it is very similar to what I see in most Thais - high vigor, alternate branching, 9 fingered leaves, bamboo stems, primarily xmas tree structure that becomes overblown during flowering, topped plants responding by sending one of the side branches vertical to take over, large, thick shelled seeds. The only differences I'm seeing are the purple stems, which is rare but not unheard of in Thais, and sharper leaf serrations....

Like everyone I love to see the big crystal encrusted buds that are the most celebrated image in cannabis culture, but for me what is most beautiful is seeing the long bamboo like structure of a pure sativa like Malawi Gold.
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Regarding your observations of the new growth at the top of the plant, I learned early on in guerilla grows not to worry about securely tying a plant I might be absent from for ages, with the fear that the plant growth would break the branches where the stake was tied, because ganja actually grows from the very top !

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I know up here in Humboldt a lot of the younger generation just laughs off the stories of weed that was that strong and that made such an impression on us older guy's. They say nothing could be as strong back then as the kush's we have now. I say, Jah, forgive them for they know not what they puff.

I have been tokin for 40+years, and the shit we were smoking in late 60's/early 70's blows away the hybrid bullshit of today..

some of it came from mexico,some from Colombia,some from jamacia, with the occasional thai stick thrown it, and it was a
way better then today's shit...

maybe its dead brain cells talking...but I think not...

Garhart

You remember it just like I do. Yes, the cannabis today is wonderful, if it was on the average, I would go with what we have today - but once in a while, there was wonderful cannabis available that makes what we have today seem pale and tame and boring. I have to say that this is one of my favorite threads. Thanks to the OP and all who have contributed.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I have been tokin for 40+years, and the shit we were smoking in late 60's/early 70's blows away the hybrid bullshit of today..

some of it came from mexico,some from Colombia,some from jamacia, with the occasional thai stick thrown it, and it was a
way better then today's shit...

maybe its dead brain cells talking...but I think not...

Hi Zachrockbadenof,

Good to see you around. I think anyone who grew up smoking top notch Sativas would certainly agree.

Garhart - Thanks for contributing to the lively discussion which makes this thread good. I'm not a daily smoker. I hold out for the occasional great experience, so even though I agree that the average quality is better today, I have gone too long without smoking a great one to make that trade worthwhile.

Bushweed - Thanks again for the great posts. I could stare at that "case in point" picture so long, you know... for the beautiful structure, that it may actually be bad for my eyes.

Have a nice trip,

ThaiBliss

Rinse

Veteran
Bushweed the bamboo like strains are beautiful, they have a certain presence, If you've read Laurence Cherniaks books there are some great pics of bamboo like Nepalese plants in there.

As for purple stems, here is some Zam, at the time I thought it was due to cold more than anything, so its nice to see the Malawi does the same in Oz.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
JJ, yes you do sound crazy, that would lessen the total amount. If it's like what I think it's like it would taste like heaven and take you there at the same time. Anything more then a pinner would be overindulgence for even a constant heavy smoker like myself.

Bushweed, I love your measuring stick. And your Thai plants.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
JJ, yes you do sound crazy, that would lessen the total amount. If it's like what I think it's like it would taste like heaven and take you there at the same time. Anything more then a pinner would be overindulgence for even a constant heavy smoker like myself.

then the hunt begins!:biggrin: :tiphat:

bushweed

Veteran
Hi TB, I remember we had a discussion about how you weren't seeing the types of Thai leaves that you remember from plants you grew out from 70s Thai sticks. You described how when you grew them out they always had large serrations. You used Kangativa's Early Mullum as an example of a narrow leaf that reminded him of 70s Thai, that was nonetheless unfamiliar to you...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

I think I might have suggested that it could be differences in geographical and climactic conditions affecting leaf shape. I believe that might be the case. Here's a couple of Thai leaves from Gypsy Thai sticks, one from Samson4 grown indoors or in a temperate climate, which I think may represent the type of leaf you remember...
picture.php

And the same strain grown outdoors in the subtropics, which is reminiscent of K's EMM leaf...
picture.php

I remain optimistic that some of the mystic strains of the 70s are still available in some measure of pristine form.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hi TB, I remember we had a discussion about how you weren't seeing the types of Thai leaves that you remember from plants you grew out from 70s Thai sticks. You described how when you grew them out they always had large serrations. You used Kangativa's Early Mullum as an example of a narrow leaf that reminded him of 70s Thai, that was nonetheless unfamiliar to you...

Those first leaves totally reminded me to the Angolese/Meao Thai I had the past season in northern Spain, maybe bit less serration on smaller leaflets. Got a few very old Meao Thai seeds, I'll try to reproduce them asap:

picture.php

:tiphat:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Bushy - You are probably correct about those Thai leaves looking different when indoors. I'd say that how I remember it was a cross between the Early Mullum and the Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick in the second picture. B.T.W., you recently posted a picture of a Colombian Santa Marta Gold that looked an awful lot like the Thai I grew. The one I grew did not have the leaves bunch up at the top like I've been seeing. The internode length stayed long and the buds were not leafy at all. Here is the picture from your post:

picture.php

^^^ This picture actually looks a lot like the Jamaican that I am growing. I'll post some pictures next weekend of it.

Mustafunk - I have seen pictures of the Angola x Meao Thai that look more like the old 70s Thai than even the Meao Thai. Then again, I have seen precious few pictures of a pure Meao Thai. This came from Snow High's post on another site:

1z70ile.jpg

Mmm... Thai. I could go on all day about it. I literally dream about it at night. Thai Stick is Trip Weed.

ThaiBliss