What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for all the great postings. I especially love pictures of beautiful plants and reading about stories of intense experiences with particular strains of weed.

What is on my mind is how much people associate their own experiences with a name, and judge by the name against what others may have experienced. I even judge one experience with undue priority over multiple contrary experiences. Let me explain by relating a story.

Back in the mid 80's, I had been told that I should try a strain called Skunk #1. This was probably the first seeds I ever purchased from a seed company. I grew about a dozen of these plants, and never found one worth growing a second time. I figured the person who told me about them really did not know what good weed was. A few years later, he found a Skunk #1 that he liked, and shared the cut with me. While it vaguely had a morphological resemblance, the effect had no resemblance with the others that I had been trying.

I consider that cut a great example of the early success of crossing a Sativa strain with an Indica strain to get good quality bud that grows easily in one of the more favorable climates in California. Actually, I believe it was a Sativa crossed with an Indica, then backcrossed to another Sativa, but I'm not positive about that. It wasn't top tier weed, but solid good quality, similar to good Colombian. It was as good as my current best strain, SAGE x (Purple Haze x Thai). It was good enough to wish I still had that cut. When I shared that weed with others, they swooned over it, because of the combination of effect and real good flavor and aroma, I presume.

So, when I judge the weed named Skunk #1 I think of it as good weed with great flavor that reminds me of good Colombian, with a nice dreamy high. I chose to ignore that I grew so many of them looking for that excellent example of the strain. If people tell me that Skunk #1 is crap, my first reaction would be to think that they might not know what they are talking about, even though I had experiences similar to theirs. Crazy world, huh? Also, I have come to consider the constant crossing of Sativa to Indica as a tragedy even though I have experienced some that were a great success. Somehow it all got way too homogenized, and now I dismiss it all. I am probably categorizing too much.

Same type of thing with Jamaican. I have never smoked anything I would consider world class that was named Lambsbread. The top tier weed I smoked from Jamaica was called Jamaican Ganja. I have a couple of plants from some seeds that are called Jamaican Lambsbread from the 1960s that look like the Jamaican Ganja I had. We grew the Ganja way back then. They look nothing like the J. Blue Mountain that I have seen floating around today, that I have also heard referred to as Lambsbread. I have trouble getting myself to call the plants I have Lambsbread. I most often refer to them as Ganja. Possibly in the hopes that it is like the Jamaican Ganja I had back in the early 70s.

The point is, it is not the name that we smoke, it is the bud from the particular plant that we grew. It is totally understandable to use names, and classifications, especially when communicating with people that we often cannot share examples with. But we should always keep in mind that different people can have very different experiences with a bud that may have the same name. In fact, I believe that peoples mood or brain chemistry can cause one person to have very different experiences with even the exact same bud.

Just some thoughts,

ThaiBliss

P.S. - If I have some time, I'll try and post some updates to the trip weed hopefuls I have growing. They are getting close to being done.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here are some pictures of the Jamaicans to make today's post much more interesting.

Top View of J. Ganja 2:

picture.php

J. Ganja2 Side View:

picture.php

Side View of J. Ganja1:
picture.php

Here is the Nanan-Bouclou that is getting so close to being ripe. The first flush of pistils have faded, which highlight the newer pistils. I call this the "buds getting lumpy" phase. I'll have to start breaking out the eye piece to get a closer look at the resins.

Top Bud:

picture.php

Here is a closer view of some lower buds. The aromas are strong and very fruity. They also smell a bit funky/dank also. Not acrid, more like body odor:

picture.php

Mostly Malawi pics a bit later.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hello Again,

I captured some images of the other strain I have nearly ripe. I guessing that both these strains may be done in about two weeks. This strain is the Zamaldelica x Malawi Gold, which makes it mostly Malawi. It is also smelling fruity, but just as much minty and spicy also. It is more subtle, over all, than the Nanan-Bouclou. It is less obviously resinous, due to the resin being more contained to the seed bracts, but just as resinous there as the Nanan-Bouclou.

Here is a branch. It has filled in, and looks like a fairly nice big bud from afar, but is still very airy upon close inspection:

picture.php

When it is ripe, and I trim it up, it will wind up being lots of little airy resinous buds. It will not be the rock hard looking tight buds that everyone seems to love, but I have smoked way more bud with a top notch high that looked like this than I have of tight hard buds:

picture.php

All the Best my Friends,

ThaiBliss

Man after my own heart and age.

The TRIP.If you can find it is big sur Holy weed.Stories abound.

Essentially 6 hours of vacuuming your house and listening to YMCA.......

And if you find a copy of Vision Thai please tell me.

bushweed

Veteran
Great shots TB, everything looks very healthy. It's hard to find shots of pure PNG Gold, but here's one courtesy of Don Mallard...
picture.php

Would you care to elaborate on the strains you used to create the vision Thai?

...these were created thanks to bobthegrower who donated one VT and the Trip to the room where I did the joint projects. The visionthai is his creation and it;s some very nice herb. I found it "mellon-y" with a cut-through straight to the eyes buzz... was excellent meds for the ol' Glaucoma.

I'm getting glaucoma waiting for some of these Thais to flower...
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran

Bob,

Thanks for the tips. I believe I have stumbled across the Vision Thai name while crawling the web. I'd love to hear more also. FinallyLegal backs up your Big Sur Holy Weed story as I believe it is comprised of Zacatecas Purple and an Indica. I did grow Big Sur Holy Weed once. I took it lightly at first, but noticed it peaked over an hour later for me. A common trait in the highest quality strains. I wish I had more of those to look through. I noticed the same delayed reaction and long lasting effects in Haze. That it why I looked through 30 plants before finding a great one once. I believe BSHW would be worth the same effort, if necessary.

Bushy - Thanks again for the posts. This is the second time today you have given me a much needed laugh. Your glaucoma cure looks absolutely majestic. Simply stunning. That plant, and BodyMind's Oaxacan79 plants are among the most beautiful plants I have seen posted. Speaking of which, have you seen Yoss33's plant of the month. I saw it pictured in the vote for plant of the year thread pictures. I'm lobbying for votes due to the great plant and most unique and interesting picture.

Thanks, and to Donald Mallard also, for the PNG picture. It is similar enough to my Nanan-Bouclou that it is giving me serious hope for that one. It also looks like it has very solid buds. If it turns out as great as I hear, it may be the perfect strain to tame a great Thai, Zacatecas, Mex. Red Hair, Jamaican, or whatever I find that may be more difficult to grow. The Nanan-Bouclou has been easy as pie indoors. It is only now dawning on me that the Papua New Guinea (PNG) is the component in Fert's 303 strain that tames the Hawaiian. And by "tame", I mean making it easy to grow indoors, not to tame the potency as both have reputations of high potency and good quality high.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I discovered good news yesterday with the Jamaican Ganja starts. It looks to me like I have one male and one female. I appear to be lucky since it has been reported to have high female to male ratio and I have limited seeds.

Here is the male:
picture.php

These starts are going to have to pick up the pace. I checked the resins on the Nanan-Bouclou and the Zamaldelica x Malawi Gold. Both have plenty of cloudy resins, more than half, and look ripe enough to me. There are still a fair amount of fresh looking pistils and no amber, so I'll probably wait till next weekend. Good Gosh, that Nanan-Bouclou is pungent fruity, if a bit over ripe fruit smell.

So this brings up the never ending question. What is the best harvest window? I'm hoping for input from DonaldMalard, if he ever lurks by here, Bushweed, or Idiit, who has already harvested his Nanan-Bouclou.

Was this picture of PNG taken at harvest time?
picture.php

If so, I think next weekend will be a good time to harvest the Nanan-Bouclou. The bud in this picture looks done to me, with about 80%+ dead pistils, but still a scattering of white pistils.

Yes, Yes, I know, the Jamaican is too early yet.
:biggrin:

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hey,

It just occurred to me. The Nanan-Bouclou is fruity, but the funky body odor smell it also has is very similar to a Burmese I once grew. That was also a fat leaved, fat budded, Indica looking plant with a Sativa high. I loved the high on that Burmese, euphoric at just a few hits, but trippy for sure at 6 or more hits, showing no ceiling. I would be very happy if this has a similar high, though I hope this is stronger.

I'm getting a little excited about it all.
:woohoo:

Got to go,

ThaiBliss

Rinse

Veteran
Hey,

It just occurred to me. The Nanan-Bouclou is fruity, but the funky body odor smell it also has is very similar to a Burmese I once grew. That was also a fat leaved, fat budded, Indica looking plant with a Sativa high. I loved the high on that Burmese, euphoric at just a few hits, but trippy for sure at 6 or more hits, showing no ceiling. I would be very happy if this has a similar high, though I hope this is stronger.

I'm getting a little excited about it all.
:woohoo:

Got to go,

ThaiBliss

Was that reefs burmese?
Loved that stuff, bit on the late side here though.
Looked a lil suttin like this

picture.php
picture.php

idiit

Veteran
i ran brazilian seed co.'s burmese. looked a little more sativa'ish than above pics. it did have a very wonderful potency (even the fan leaves) and euphoric psychoactive high. i had the "dead mouse" pheno. there are three burmese phenos from what i've read; extreme grapefruit, bbq sauce, road kill dead animal.

i'm an outdoor grower who grows indoors for strain preservation, clones,pollen, seeds and early smoke appraisals. i tend to chop early as soon as the beanos are ripe 'cause i've got a lot of projects and little room indoors. the early indoor popped burmese was very good. the outdoor run of the same clones produced a product that had an unpleasant high. i let this bud go what i call overripe (amber). it was at a friends place where we could go see her any time and the weather was warm, sunny and low humidity during its flowering window so no premature bud rot.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
We were discussing Burmese strains in the landrace section the other day. I was expecting them to look somewhat Chinese influenced, but wow! Still considered a sativa though :)

Rinse

Veteran
i ran brazilian seed co.'s burmese. looked a little more sativa'ish than above pics. it did have a very wonderful potency (even the fan leaves) and euphoric psychoactive high. i had the "dead mouse" pheno. there are three burmese phenos from what i've read; extreme grapefruit, bbq sauce, road kill dead animal.

i'm an outdoor grower who grows indoors for strain preservation, clones,pollen, seeds and early smoke appraisals. i tend to chop early as soon as the beanos are ripe 'cause i've got a lot of projects and little room indoors. the early indoor popped burmese was very good. the outdoor run of the same clones produced a product that had an unpleasant high. i let this bud go what i call overripe (amber). it was at a friends place where we could go see her any time and the weather was warm, sunny and low humidity during its flowering window so no premature bud rot.

Interesting, I got an end bud with incensey, chocolate aromas, very much like certain Thai buds, it had a relaxed dreamy sativa high, not exhilarating like most Thai.
She seemed to love the outdoors in ground, but would do well indoor Im sure, needs at least 12 weeks I reckon though the description says 9.

We were discussing Burmese strains in the landrace section the other day. I was expecting them to look somewhat Chinese influenced, but wow! Still considered a sativa though :)

Yeah they were very interesting strain, listed as pure sativa in description:

"A highland cultivated landrace from Burma. True Breeding 100% Sativa with incredible exotic and sweet aromas, nice uplifting high. Anti-anxiety."

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Was that reefs burmese?
Loved that stuff, bit on the late side here though.
Looked a lil suttin like this

View Image View Image

It did look somewhat similar. I got it from Vancouver Island Seed Company. The calyxes were big, but the buds kinda stretched out a bit. It never got all fat and rounded off like the Nanan-Bouclou. They were more like torpedo shaped with a bulge in the middle. That stretching was the only apparent Sativa like trait, other than the slight hemaphrodism. The stems were thick and stiff. The petioles were long, so the fat leaves were extended out a bit from the stem compare to other fat leaf phenos of other strains. After drying it did have a slight rotten meat taste, perhaps a bit like Jack Herer. I was always surprised when people commented on the good taste. While growing, it smelled like some kind of body odor. Without getting too graphic, it smelled like sex with a touch of flowery perfume in the background.

When did yours ripen and at what latitude?

The high was great. Like I said, it was very pleasant, but you could keep getting higher the more you smoked, until it became quite trippy, and unpleasant to some. A friend who loved that taste, smoked too much once, later told me he was crawling on the floor and crying. I thought he was joking at first. But after that, he never smoked more of my weed than I was smoking of it.
:laughing:

I have to go and search for that Burmese discussion.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

P.S. - I found a couple of threads with recent discussions of Burmese, including one with props to VISC. This discussion here is the only one with pictures. Thanks Rinse!

idiit

Veteran
A friend who loved that taste, smoked too much once, later told me he was crawling on the floor and crying.

^^ that's hitting home. the outdoor fully mature bsc burmese buds created a feeling of sorrow, almost despair. ppl didn't like it. :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
^^ that's hitting home. the outdoor fully mature bsc burmese buds created a feeling of sorrow, almost despair. ppl didn't like it. :)

Funny, it never affected me that way. I thought it was quite euphoric. But when I over indulged, I was swimming through sensory overload, perhaps feeling overwhelmed at worst. But I like that. I like the feeling of the natural world making me feel small. Nothing like a good thunderstorm to make me feel puny and in awe.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
It sounds to me that Burmese Kush has too much indica in it.

I had the same experience of smoking too much of unripe Aurora Indica, which is an Afghani #1 backcross.

This is why I stay clear of most indicas and smoke landrace sativas - although I don't like all Sativa highs either. Thai can be scatterbrained. I either smoke Tanzanian Magic, or a euphoric Central American based strain.

Rinse

Veteran
It sounds to me that Burmese Kush has too much indica in it.

I had the same experience of smoking too much of unripe Aurora Indica, which is an Afghani #1 backcross.

This is why I stay clear of most indicas and smoke landrace sativas - although I don't like all Sativa highs either. Thai can be scatterbrained. I either smoke Tanzanian Magic, or a euphoric Central American based strain.

Good to hear you still grow the Tanzy :)
Had some of my best times on African sats,
usually found them to have a centered aspect to the high,
whereas some Thais can be scatterbrained indeed.

Not sure about indica being the cause of the unpleasant high, as there are plenty of hybrids with happy effects, I think its more phenotype, but it could defo be a pheno that occurred through hybridizing with indica.

idiit

Veteran
we've discussed on different threads selecting the proper maturity for different strains re high effects and potency.

i attributed the gloomy high effects to the bud being very mature due to the indoor burmese early test run being not all the way mature and having a much better euphoric type high. the weather allowed me to take the burmese further out in the flowering window w/o getting bud rot. i grow in a very humid area. bud rot is a big deal and can destroy a total crop by trying to leave out too long. this was not a guerilla grow. on guerilla grows i can't keep coming and going without giving up my garden. i've got to stay out of the grow area as much as possible for security reasons; mine, the garden itself.

picture.php

^^ outdoor 2013 bsc "dead mouse" burmese pheno: indoor florescent lighting for picture.

i'll smoke some of her tonight to see what i think for a refresher (nearly 6 month cure now). the burmese had reddish looking resin. very gooey which helped it form nice chunky buds during cure. the "dead mouse" pheno was not very pleasant tasting fully mature (100% organic). strain testers did not like her. i did not like the outdoor mature bud high effects in slightly cured testing maybe 3-5 weeks cure time max. don't remember.

slightly edited 2 hours later.
=========================================================================

ok. two hours later i'm adding comments. 1 bowl. fucked up in a good way. feel real good, potent-very potent. some psychoactivity. tastes good.

i attributed the od poor performance to letting it get too mature. wrong. it now appears the od bud fully mature greatly benefited from a good cure. don't have a clue about the indoor assessment now. hey, i'm honest. i am sure not posting this to make myself look good. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

even another edit: i smoked the well cured burmese again and so did my strain tester. the burmese changes its high effects depending on the mind frame of the smoker. we go from euphoria to gloomy in a few minutes. this is the first strain i've ever smoked that can change from very pleasant to gloomy in one smoke session. i'm under a lot of stress due to some probate court stuff and i normally enjoy narcotic to soothe me. i'm more subject to the mood swings than my strain tester but she notices the same mood swings, just not as pronounced.

to keep it on topic; the burmese does have some psychoactivity but not as much as some of my other strains. the seeds of africa malawi gold is by far the most psychoactive strain i've ever smoked.

Latest posts

Latest posts