What's new

the phish head thread!!

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
what a first leg of the summer. they've already played more unique songs this summer in 18 shows than they did all summer last year. they pretty much played everything i wanted to see in NC and GA. however, historically deer creek and alpine are usually bust out/debut filled. so hopefully I'll see something interesting next month!

admiralcornport

nice umph! Still chasing that fuckin harpua, thought it would be telly but I guess they have other plans for that. I didn't win lottery for that btw, I scored on the tickethorse release!!!!

So lucky that day.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
You scored tixs for telly mr D?? I've had my ears out for a set for myself no such luck, yet..I need a vacation something serious..

mcattak

First show I believe was the alladin in vegas summer 91, 92 or 93...

Question for the old timers....Do they still rock like they used to or am i getting old????...They just dont sound as good as they used to???..

I used to get the trampolines every night plus the vacuum...

Man I used have some good times..Saw the dude of life in Berkley at the Greek

mc

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
getting close to second leg. less than 3 weeks till deer creek and alpine. hopefully we'll have a fall announcement soon after. cincinnati halloween bitches!

L

Lloyd_Christmas

I've been hearing Albany halloween this year, but who knows for sure... Everybody has a friend that has a friend that has inside info...

I wanna see a Providence show!!!!! At the very least gimmie worcester.....

L

Lloyd_Christmas

Don't remember ya, I only made it to camden1 though... Some friends of mine were selling $2 'gansett tall boys, those got eaten up pretty quickly :biglaugh:

Burt

Veteran
no-they don't sound as good as they used to
but you can now hear a fluffhead every other show so its all good for the young newbs
i have been impressed with a few jams-if they can be called that
mansfield had that jam out of sally-hershey had a decent jam after drowned
the biggest surprise to me was the 10+minute jibboo-this was reminiscient of '03 days
and that absolutely killer mikes song from a show i'm forgetting but mike comes in one beat to early with the bomb before the breakdown if that makes sense-i haven't heard trey play like this in a long time-it is almost fusion-circ 1991. i've heard a real twisted KDf that made me go wow as well from this tour and who can forget the new hole trey tore in the outro walk away solo-all those years of TAB blues pentatonic solos come to a glorious culminatuion during the epic walk away-hartford maybe?
the best thing about summer tour was the brother mario bros t-shirt

mcattak

no-they don't sound as good as they used to
but you can now hear a fluffhead every other show so its all good for the young newbs
i have been impressed with a few jams-if they can be called that
mansfield had that jam out of sally-hershey had a decent jam after drowned
the biggest surprise to me was the 10+minute jibboo-this was reminiscient of '03 days
and that absolutely killer mikes song from a show i'm forgetting but mike comes in one beat to early with the bomb before the breakdown if that makes sense-i haven't heard trey play like this in a long time-it is almost fusion-circ 1991. i've heard a real twisted KDf that made me go wow as well from this tour
the best thing about summer tour was the brother mario bros t-shirt

Thanks for the response....Guess you cant ever get those days of youth back...

Saw DMB open for them here on the west coast with 1500 people...

Those were the days...

Kinda stopped listening after hoist..

Just went to the phish website...They are playing 3 shows at the greek(Berkeley)...Are they playing smaller shows these days...

Any suggestions for a person that has been out of the scene for a while...Any new bands making the rounds????

mc

joeking

Hey MC, the scene is a lot more diverse than it used to be. I consider myself a youngster and I've been goin to shows since the late 90's. A few bands that really caught my ear in the last few years would be of the bat Sound Tribe Sector 9, these guys are phenomenal, imho...reall groovy spacey jams, filled with all kinds of texture. Signal Path is pretty awesome, and you might dig on Bassnectar, depending on what ya like. Hope this helps

L

Lloyd_Christmas

Bassnectar catches hate from some people but I'm a fan.... great live show. I'm a big disco biscuits fan as well....

mcattak

Hey MC, the scene is a lot more diverse than it used to be. I consider myself a youngster and I've been goin to shows since the late 90's. A few bands that really caught my ear in the last few years would be of the bat Sound Tribe Sector 9, these guys are phenomenal, imho...reall groovy spacey jams, filled with all kinds of texture. Signal Path is pretty awesome, and you might dig on Bassnectar, depending on what ya like. Hope this helps

Ive seen sector 9 a few times...Was a while ago guess they changed there name....they are great....Thanks for the info will check out these other bands...

Still havent found alot that compares to those phish early days...They were on fire just 3 hours of madness bouncing around the room...

mc

Burt

Veteran
"Still havent found alot that compares to those phish early days...They were on fire just 3 hours of madness bouncing around the room..."
you won't -go listen to some mahavishnu or larry coryell's fusion from the 70's
im not in the scene any longer but if you want to see whats hot, you just missed camp bisco which is more electronica based artists
theres allgood-which you also just missed and they showcase a lot of the tier II bands-then there is the upcoming gathering of the vibes-don't miss this one brah!
you'll get to see steve kimock and the best further lineup to date

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Things have changed quite a bit,but theirs still lots of great music to be heard .From the newer jam band scene.A few bands you might wanna check out when they come to town with the festivals.

Particle - these guys have gotten better and better,seen them several times .Their very good and have a unique sound.They often play with guests ,last time i saw em ,they played with Phil Lesh

North Mississippi All-Stars - Everytime we see these guys ,my friends all agree ...We can't wait to see them again...they jam

I don't know if your an allman type music fan,I always thought they were "ok"...But just once if you can ....Go see Derek Trucks if he's on the bill...He's allman related but ,just a spectacle unto himself....

Just a few thoughts that might help...

I've seen four shows in the last year, and one was stellar. They are definitely on their way back, but they are not totally back yet. Think about it, in Trey's egomaniac phase, he decided they wouldn't practice anymore, and that was back in like 2000. When they came back before, they didn't do a lot of practicing. Now, it seems they ARE practicing. I don't hear Page making mistakes anymore and when he gets the chance to be the star, like they used to do back in the day, that makes a tighter show.

I'm more into Umphrey's (now that they got over their indie-pop crap stage) and WSP, but I did enjoy all four shows I saw and the most recent was simply stellar. I can't say I'll be going to a bunch of shows anytime soon, b/c I keep hearing from close friends that various shows were weak, or had a sucky set, or things like that.

At least it's not a giant impossibility to get tickets anymore. That was one of my requirements for seeing Phish again, was that the tickets would be available in a normal fashion.