What's new

My adventures with DJ Short Breeders Choice Mix 1 and 4 , Pheno Hunt, Living Soil Sip

tjmccoy

Veteran
Hi All! I would like to invite you all to follow along on my Dj Short pheno hunt, semi open pollination, all in a living soil! I’ll try to post some good pics and document this grow.

I’ll be growing out a 16 pack of each of the…

Breeders Choice Mix 1 - FL Floral Side “ Happy Pussy” x F13

Breeders Choice Mix 4 - XP Potent Productive side that my understanding is basically “ Blue Moonshine”

Around 2006 I grew a pack each of Blue Moonshine and F-13, That was one of the most memorable grows of all my grows over the years! My buddies still talk about it and I haven’t had anything ring my bell quite like it since!

I found the original blue moonshine 2006 to have a very enjoyable muscle relaxing effect that also seemed to be a creeper high that came in waves. Also seemed to enhance music! Hashy fruity with that DJS background is what I remember. My lady likes indica and this was her personal favorite of all time! She asked me to grow Dj short again as that was what I had when we first met!

I remember going to a small local snoop dog concert where I brought in a big joint of the moonshine, I was about 20ft from snoop on a raised balcony. I took in the biggest drag that I could and blew it straight at snoop! He stopped and said “ eeeww wee eeeww wee sticky icky in da house!

The F-13 2006, there were several great phenos, and in this I found what I still believe to be the best plant I’ve ever grown, my goat, the one that got away! It was an all green pheno with one main spear shaped bud. The high was super electric with visual tracers and up up up and away! The flavor was kinda like a spicy church incense that was both pleasant and decadent to me. If I could pick one plant to have kept all this time this would be it! I loved the f-13 but I don’t expect to find this pheno here but I still hope to find something really good however it comes!

My selection criteria is for both potency and how it makes me feel, at the top of the list. When I say potency, I can look past stuff that has a bland type of high potency or has low tolerance or short duration. I’m my mind I wrap all these factors up into the catagory of potency, I want something that cuts right through other smoke, potent, long duration, low tolerance, feel great etc.,, I personally don’t put much weight on flavor, as long as it’s enjoyable and has a great high that’s what I’m interested in. Yield is also not much of a concern to me as long as it’s practical enough to grow!

Today starts germination using the Mel Frank method of paper towels stuck on the side of a bowl! Here we go…

I would like to invite some friends to follow! @dubi @Miraculous Meds @Hasch @FeelHaze @Maria Sanchez @Koondense @Cactus Squatter @goingrey @Hmong @El Timbo @weedsmoker420 @early_hominid @MrHamilton @Tangwena @Stoneroller

077A4F87-A175-4DE8-AA88-E5C8577D70E0.jpeg E964F3FD-5B3B-465D-9BE5-98737754B811.jpeg 158EF865-0F2A-4A92-9658-2F30C801B68E.jpeg 37A406B4-FD03-43B6-BC21-4B9DFA933EE5.jpeg 5CF69EFE-49D9-42B2-ABA8-5EF207A86987.jpeg 211B2CED-81C8-4DD5-BF74-7028BD2F4366.jpeg 331A9805-9C45-44B2-9DE8-CA4A40CD4831.jpeg 11A0E020-A7F2-4733-B1C5-5B4845A66E79.jpeg

Attachments

• 86481FC7-BB86-4586-8914-6D206FBDD865.jpeg
    86481FC7-BB86-4586-8914-6D206FBDD865.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

tjmccoy

Veteran
@Limeygreen Thanks so much for following! Grab some popcorn! Hahaa

Here is the current state of the living soil sip bed, It’s my own kiddy pool design that I’ve been dialing in for 2 years now. The same soil has had 4 runs in it and all trimmings have always been fed back. It holds about 100gallon of soil and 30 gallons of water in the res. I’m using cover crops in between cycles to help bring balance. Here was a mix of several varieties of ancient wheat and some beans that were just turned back into the soil. The worm population is just amazing and it’s amazing to watch them work together!

Wheat cover crop before being turned in…
C646052D-62A1-4F8E-865F-F641CCF2BB0D.jpeg

The wheat cover crop was turned back into the top few inches and leveled out. I’ll give it about 30 to 45 days to break Down and level out before the transplants go in.

76BEE1B3-9963-4ABC-854B-F98D9CD71BCD.jpeg

The red worm population is high, this potted mom was just sitting on top of the bed and when I pulled it out of the pot at least a hundred worms were active in the rootzone. The plants and the worms seem to love each other, another way I’m trying to bring balance to the system! How could this be wrong?

139FB0E1-0A1E-477B-9CDA-5A2233C106CC.jpeg

tjmccoy

Veteran
The adventure factor is always there with DJ, its always fun search there for the bell ringer. Flo and Blueberry are unmatched, if you find the right one.

This is real fun

The worms are great too

Thanks for following and I’m glad you think this will be fun! Definitely looking for a good bell ringer! I hope it’s not a disappointment with these newer seed lines!

tjmccoy

Veteran
I have a long term breeding/ seed making goal in mind. I want to make myself a vault of seeds for my future. I want to archive and mix some of my favorite strains to date and close the door on new genetics for a while, to really work and look through the seeds. The lines need to be able to finish outdoor here and also do well indoor. I’m introducing the Dj genetics as my indica line’s to breed with and then plan to take them a little more sativa in future crosses. I’d like to remake something like Johnny blaze or blue dream with my own selections. I’m recently really liking Ace’s KA5 and have one I’m trying to reveg to take some of this DJ pollen. I also have Malawi and Thai pollen that I would like to try on the selected Dj females. I like potent weed and I like Malawi. The KA5 I ran this time is great smoke, has me interested in running a pheno hunt of nl5 x haze to work into the lines in the future. I’m still looking for my holy grail

goingrey

@Limeygreen Thanks so much for following! Grab some popcorn! Hahaa

Here is the current state of the living soil sip bed, It’s my own kiddy pool design that I’ve been dialing in for 2 years now. The same soil has had 4 runs in it and all trimmings have always been fed back. It holds about 100gallon of soil and 30 gallons of water in the res. I’m using cover crops in between cycles to help bring balance. Here was a mix of several varieties of ancient wheat and some beans that were just turned back into the soil. The worm population is just amazing and it’s amazing to watch them work together!

Wheat cover crop before being turned in…
View attachment 19002814

The wheat cover crop was turned back into the top few inches and leveled out. I’ll give it about 30 to 45 days to break Down and level out before the transplants go in.

View attachment 19002815

The red worm population is high, this potted mom was just sitting on top of the bed and when I pulled it out of the pot at least a hundred worms were active in the rootzone. The plants and the worms seem to love each other, another way I’m trying to bring balance to the system! How could this be wrong?

View attachment 19002816
You are revegging something there?

tjmccoy

Veteran
Don't you find them in competition for nutes and water?

Good question, You would think but not so much, the problem I have is usually too much nutrients especially N at the end of flower, so another plant pulling nutrients towards the end of cycle is kinda like a flush I guess, to me each plant has its own biology, having different species therefore will increase biodiversity imo, I manually keep them from competing for too much light by chopping and mating them down, what I also see is that the worms love being in living roots, and worms have a way of balancing nutrients.

tjmccoy

Veteran
@tjmccoy Where did you get DJ short seeds? I've not bought his seeds in like 20 years, then they came in a little manilla envelope. blue satellite seeds

Hey Hoss, They’ve recently had a big drop, Dj short, blue star, second generation have lots of availability right now it’s a great time to buy. I went through seeds here now and Neptune has some the others don’t. Second generation genetics is dj’s son jd and blue star seed co is working closely with Dj too and has some feminized offerings the others don’t. Have a good day

OleReynard

I've found better Blueberry and no mutants or deformity out of Canadian breeders who don't use DJ gear.
Most are using old island gear with no DJ influence.
For instance vintage Blueberry damn site better than his.

Last edited:
Hey Hoss, They’ve recently had a big drop, Dj short, blue star, second generation have lots of availability right now it’s a great time to buy. I went through seeds here now and Neptune has some the others don’t. Second generation genetics is dj’s son jd and blue star seed co is working closely with Dj too and has some feminized offerings the others don’t. Have a good day
Thanks! I got to googling some things and I must be getting old. I can't determine a scam from legitimacy anymore. I think legalization has come so far I just can't believe it.

tjmccoy

Veteran
I've found better Blueberry and no mutants or deformity out of Canadian breeders who don't use DJ gear.
Most are using old island gear with no DJ influence.
For instance vintage Blueberry damn site better than his.

I haven’t grown anything but Dj so I couldn’t say to compare to others, but also never grew blueberry but rather blue moonshine the more potent indica affy side of blueberry and f13 the sativa side of flo with blueberry dad was just fantastic, have you explored Dj lines past blueberry’s?

OleReynard

From the 90's forward.
I used to get his seeds thru seminars at discount pricing.
Was thinking I'd have better luck thru the seminars than thru the stores but no.
Used to have his whole menu.
Same Ole same Ole.
That vintage bb from west Canadian islands very nice stuff.

tjmccoy

Veteran
From the 90's forward.
I used to get his seeds thru seminars at discount pricing.
Was thinking I'd have better luck thru the seminars than thru the stores but no.
Used to have his whole menu.
Same Ole same Ole.
That vintage bb from west Canadian islands very nice stuff.

I don’t know about all that but I know of no other plant like either keeper f13 blue moonshine I had, definitely not same ole same old no way, holy grail type stuff for me personally