What's new

The Mill's Pride Club

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I actually do have vaulted ceilings. I could stack two of these on top of each other. I thought about a magnetic lock but they are pricey and heavy. I cough yours doesn't look that big, where did you get yours?

icough2getoff

After looking again at ebay I think I told you wrong. The locks in the above picture are 180lbs each, but I also have the 130lb mini locks for my mother dresser. I haven't tested just how strong they are though because I'm afraid of breaking the wood but it's strong enough I can drag it across the floor pulling on the door. They feel pretty secure and are probably all I needed. I also got mine from hong kong.

3045dresserinside.jpg

3045dresser.jpg

fatigues

Veteran
I live on Vancouver Island, BC does anyone know where I can get these here or something very similar? Thanks.

Home Depot in Canada offers approximately a 30" wide, 72" inch tall, 18" inch deep double door cab. It's manufactured by Talon. It goes for about $189. It's melamine and heavy and it comes in birch color or white. A similarly sized, similarly constructed product made by Rubbermaid is sold through Candian Tire for about the same price. The Rubbermaid cab does not come in white, however, in that size range.

For a black, 16 guage steel cab with locking double doors, you can get a 36" wide, 72" tall and 18" deep supply cabinet from Staples for $289. They are made by ProSource - a brand name for filing cabinets made by Global and distributed through Staples in Canada.

Note: most Staples stores have free delivery on office furniture within their store areas - and yes - this is office furniture as far as that policy is concerned. Call your closest Staples for details.

Your best bet is to watch your local Craigslist like a hawk for a few weeks and pick up one of the above - or a similarly sized used cab. Search under "wardrobe", "armoire", "supply cabinet", "metal cabinet" and "steel cabinet". You can save quite a bit that way :)

tokinsmokin

Thanks, I'll go with the minis

Yeah I've used the same electromagnets on my cab for a few years. They work great, and I used to put them on a battery back up along with a wireless remote switch to cut the power to the electromagnets just like icough does. I have 4 of the small electromagnetic locks like icough's, as well as a big 600lb electromagnet for a big door or something. They're a pretty cool little addition to grows.

bctoker

So I found a cabinet at can tire that is 6 feet tall, 21 inches deep by 30 inches wide. Has anyone used this one before?

S

SafeSwoops

Hey everyone! So many nice cabs here... I was originally inspired by mills pride so I thought I would put my cab up here

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

At first I tried to vent the 400 with computer fans... TOTAL FAIL! I changed everything to run off the 4" can and now it's scrubber>tube>fan and it's much better... never goes over 83 now.

Peace

So I found a cabinet at can tire that is 6 feet tall, 21 inches deep by 30 inches wide. Has anyone used this one before?

21 inches is not too much space to play with. I needed to add an additional 4 inches onto the back to make room for the hood and phat filter. If you know your dimensions ahead of time and plan it out then any size will work for what you have. Just do not think you will be able to expand very much with the limited area you have to play with.

fatigues

Veteran

No. We looked at it and decided that while the depth might be doable, we needed something wider than thirty inches.

If the cab you found is big enough for your needs, then great. You are good to go.

If you found yourself making significant concessions just to find some cabinet that had adequate depth and you really wanted more space in terms of width or height, one option you have is to simply buy another cabinet and then operate two separate cabinets. That's a pretty obvious choice, right? Even then, that may leave your grow cab lacking in the ideal width or depth (or both).

The not-so-obvious choice is to buy two identical cabinets which you then assemble in combined form to operate as one cabinet.

Essentially, you get something fairly cheap like a Kitchen Pantry Cabinet: a 3' wide x 12" deep by 5' tall cab (just as an example) but instead of one cab - you buy two of them. You leave off the back on one of the cabinets and leave off the doors on another. Join the back of one to the front of the other and you instantly double your depth to 24" (in the above example). As all other dimensions are the same, they fit together perfectly for 50 cents worth of screws. If you have a biscuit joiner, they'll fit together almostly invisibly, too -- for pennies.

If you start with a cab which is already very deep, leave the backs off of both and attach them back to back. That way, you have door access to reach in to the cabinet from both the front and the back. Otherwise, being able to reach into a cabinet which is, say, three or four feet deep is quite difficult. This adds to you light proofing task a little, but it gives you a greater ease-of-use. Admttedly, it could decrease the stealth factor on the back to back cab, depending upon how you joined them together and where you have your cab.

The main issue we found when we looked for a suitable cabinet, was that while the width and height were relatively easy to find in the "right" dimensions, getting something with adequate depth was very hard to find (and definitely far more expensive).

The most practical way of getting the desired depth was therefore best achieved by simply combining two smaller cabinets.

Hope this helped you to consider choices beyond what you may have initially thought were suitable "quick assembly" grow cabinets.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Sorry if this is a stupid question. Does anyone know if these dark room louvers can flow in either direction? I need to mount mine on the outside (don't ask,long story) so the airflow will be in reverse. Plus someone mentioned a filter for it?

icough2getoff

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Does anyone know if these dark room louvers can flow in either direction? I need to mount mine on the outside (don't ask,long story) so the airflow will be in reverse. Plus someone mentioned a filter for it?

I've used them both directions and they work great either way. :yes:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thought I would drop a tidbit of advice to some of you interested in buying the magnetic locks. Most locks are sold to be used on one door. If you have a cabinet with two doors you'll have to buy 2, or make one of the doors with a lip that fits behind the other and can only be opened if the other door is opened. I found a nice 1300 lb magnetic lock for $75 which would be overkill on one door.
I took the metal piece that you mount on the door and cut it in half. Now I have two pieces so now each door will have a metal strip for the magnet. You will have to drill some new holes because the metal piece only has one hole to be mounted on one door. You will have to drill two holes in each half and most important "counter sink" the holes so your screw heads don't stick up.
Mount the magnet between the doors so that half the magnet will grab the half piece of steel you cut and mounted to the door. So instead of spending $150 I spent $75 and each door has a holding force of 650 lbs