What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomaad

Veteran
Question: How much do full-season outdoor plants stretch? Also, people say late July/early August is when they start flowering. Is that when they start to stretch or is that when they start setting buds?
Thanks!

That varies widely... and wildly. It will have to do with diverse factors such as genetics, sun/shade ratio, timing of the sun as per latitude, temps, pruning method, pot size, veg time, nute program. And many more.

Late July/early August is a good answer.

plough

That varies widely... and wildly. It will have to do with diverse factors such as genetics, sun/shade ratio, timing of the sun as per latitude, temps, pruning method, pot size, veg time, nute program. And many more.

Late July/early August is a good answer.
heh .. well that's sort of why I asked nomaad.
let's just say they are sexually mature (heheh)..
(I did say full-season.)
I thought I heard that a full-season plant won't stretch as much as, say, an indoor plant switched to a 12/12 light cycle overnight, and that seems to make a lot of sense to me.
On the other hand flowering does seem to be strongly linked to photo-period either way so I suppose some stretching should be expected?
Just answer me one thing: Is it noticeable?

nomaad

Veteran
what I am saying is that without having grown that strain in that spot in that much dirt with that nute regime or at least a set of parameters from which you can interpolate expectations for your current parameters, your question cannot be answered because the factors involved are legion. and may not even follow in the same place with the same process from year to year because of differing environmental factors.

If you had asked your question about a specific strain that I have been running since last year, you might wind up with a bunch of info spat back at you, but the question, as asked, is bottomless.

Yes, stretch is quite noticeable outside... Some strains will double in size. Others much more. Others less... unless you know how to train/prune em to max their stretch.... etc... etc... ad infinitum. The same cuts I am growing grow totally different in some gardens... others they seem very similar... cuts I have sent out the door come back to my garden looking like a different strain entirely.

Very Noticable!

Very Noticable!

Plough: I watched plants stretch 1/3 the size of the plant last year and we're anticipating the same if not more this year. Friends of mine told me their trees almost doubled in size last season. There will be a lot of stretching and smiling in August! Blessings & Respect
jump.gif
ying.gif

Photos coming next week!

Photos coming next week!

Nomad: Aloha amigo, I come around everyday, when I can help I do what I can... When I have nothing to say, I listen and observe. At any rate - Good idea, I am planning on taking pictures top of next week... We've been busy keeping on top of everything! Everyone's gardens are looking great - keep up the hard work - Thanks for all the updates and enjoy the rest of the week.:dance013:

nomaad

Veteran
Just busting your balls. I just got excited when I saw that you'd posted... was hoping we'd get another pic of the monsters in the 12x12 beds. I look forward to next week's update.

Madhemp

Tom Nice pics. Insperational as usuall! I would be jealous, but, you're gardens are after all legendary. Gives the rest of us something to shoot for

Early on when this was a thread about soil mix and we were all getting started, you mentioned your foliar feeding regimen. You wrote about what you used throughout the veg stage.
My question is what/how do use during flowering? I figure its best to prepare early, that way we'll give PV a chance to catch up:)

MH

nomaad

Veteran
So: 24 hours post-MycoStop (the potentially ruined batch that sat in the hands of UPS over the holiday weekend) and all my plants have gone into FULL-PERK mode. Coincidence or not... things are looking happy out there.

Madhemp: FWIW I just hit my black box with its first flowering feed. I used Age Old Bloom, Massive and old Bud Candy (still with the molasses in it) at a combined concentration of 1400ppm. pH 6.6.

nomaad

Veteran
I just found a very unhappy branch at the bottom of one of my big pot bubbas. there is no disconnect of the stem, so I have to consider the possibility that its the product of a soil-borne pathogen. This plant has not been growing as vigorously as it once was and has fallen behind the other plant of that strain. I am going to hit them again with MycoStop this evening. Too much?

Feb2006er

I just found a very unhappy branch at the bottom of one of my big pot bubbas. there is no disconnect of the stem, so I have to consider the possibility that its the product of a soil-borne pathogen. This plant has not been growing as vigorously as it once was and has fallen behind the other plant of that strain. I am going to hit them again with MycoStop this evening. Too much?

I had this problem a few years back...I was given a qt of scorpion juice from AN and it did the trick but that was for a 3ft diameter hole that was 2ft deep. The same friend uses bud factorx now for that purpose(also says it keeps PM from going nutz). I'm sure you would need a larger quantity so sourcing the ingredients for those two might be of some help.

Light Dep & Molasses

Light Dep & Molasses

Nomaad: I too recently started a small "light deprivation" garden (Granddaddy Purple x Af-wreck)... I'm glad to see you are using the Age Old Bloom - I love their potions! Curious to know when you began applying your bloom teas, guano, et cetera... I was talking with "Grey Beard" today about hitting them with the Bloom formula next time I feed and keep up on a regular schedule from there on out or would it be wise to wait until the change in light takes hold of the trees and I can see visible signs of pistils (flowering).
thank%20you.gif

On another note: Does anybody have any information on the new studies done on Molasses. "Butte" informed me last season that some recent research found that Molasses locks out Nitrogen, thus not a very good amendment to add to your soil or trees during the vegetative cycle.
ying.gif

G

Ganja D

What your describing is a part of life. What we know is that water had been cut off to that branch. The question is did the plants immune system cut off the water because that branch had a problem or infection and wanted to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the plant,or did an infection or problem such as a pathogen infect that branch and cut of it's connection to the rest of the plant.
Either way I'd cut it off and seal the wound. The heat can also throw off plants water absorbsion when transpiration is sped up. Technically above 92 degrees a plant has to use all it water to keep up with transpiration to remain alive!
Your dep is looking great Nomad,you'll be seeing triches soon! And your BD here is an absolute beast!:)

nomaad

Veteran
Curious to know when you began applying your bloom teas, guano, et cetera...

I just hit the light dep with bloom nutes for the first time this morning. I would have done it about a week ago on one of the hoop houses (the one that was trasplanted first and then began tarp first) but I hadn't had a chance to install the ppm meter in my dosing system... The furthest along looks like this:
2010_0707-113.jpg

I probably could have fed them a week or more ago, but they were just transplanted into fresh soil which I felt had to be enough to sustain them (they have been THRIVING) until now.

Thanks, everybody, for the contributions.

nomaad

Veteran
Refractometer came today... if i am doing it and reading it right, Brix level on Pineapple Cough is around 14-15. fuzzy line between blue and white...

What part of the plant should I be juicing? I used a leaf and petiole.

plough

Plough: I watched plants stretch 1/3 the size of the plant last year and we're anticipating the same if not more this year. Friends of mine told me their trees almost doubled in size last season. There will be a lot of stretching and smiling in August! Blessings & Respect
jump.gif
ying.gif
Thankyou Fill that was very helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts