What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Colombian Krippy Origin Thread

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I am creating this thread with the intention of finding the strain grown in masses in Cali, Colombia and exported throughout South America and the Carribean simply known as Krippy and other spelling variations such as "kreepy" "creepy" "cripy" and "crippy". As well as seeking information on the genetics, this perhaps will educate some of those who are unaware of Krippy. I will present you with the FACTS I know, as well as the prevailant misinformation regarding said herb.

I have lived in Chile since 2011. Most people grow their own weed, so there's usually quality, more now than ever, but the only weed that was being exported here was Paraguayan bullshit which was 100x worse than the worst Mexican brickweed, and Colombian strains that were leafy and had some seeds such as Punta Roja, etc...

In 2015/2016 I became aware of this new weed from Cali, Colombia known as Krippy. It was around the time a lot of Colombians were moving to Chile. All I knew about it was that it was super potent, and that there were a lot of bizarre and farfetched rumors, such as that it was toxic, and that it was sprayed with cocaine water, sprayed with LSD, and the list of crazy stories went on.

One major thing I'd like to point out, is that this is EXTREMELY consistant in looks, smell, taste, and effect, which I will describe later on. That is why I am under the impression that this is indeed an actual strain. If anyone remembers the "beasters" from the mid 2000's that was mass grown hydroponically by the vietnamese and exported to the US, they will then remember that no matter what, it was always the exact same, in looks, smell, taste, and effect. That strain was eventually identified as M-39.

It became a concern and was on the news in Chile for a while. They were calling it "Super Marijuana" and claiming it posesses a danger to society, and that it's nothing like "regular" marijuana. They helped spread the rumors and misinformation that it is toxic and possibly laced. They also would show police footage of the police kicking in doors of Colombians and finding a few kilos, I think to spin the narrative that all Colombians are bad and/or involved in some sort of criminal activity such as prostitution or the drug trade.

Well, because of the growing popularity of krippy, and the concerns, (a lot of people would simply smoke too much) the news did a deeper investigation and had it tested. Surprise surprise (well not to me at least) there were no chemicals. It was not toxic. They still tried to demonize it as "super marijuana" and dangerous, because it tested at what I believe to be 27% THC and 0% CBD. They made the comparison that "Krippy" is to "Normal" cannabis, as moonshine is to a beer.

Many users of cannabis, for both recreational and medical use to this day refuse to smoke Krippy, and even look down on it because they still believe the misinformation and "things they've heard" even though it's been scientifically proven to just be a high THC strain. The only valid excuse I can accept are the people who believe in growing their own, so they know exactly what goes into it.

Now, as far as the taste, smell, and high. The smell is very noticeable and distinct. All are smells from terpenes I've experienced before in "normal" cannabis, but it's simply loud. The main thing I notice is a lemony chemical cleaner smell, with skunk and sweetness underneath that. The taste is extremely sweet, perfumey, and floral. The high truly is a 1 hit wonder, you have to build up a tolerance to this strain or else you could get too high very easily and have a negative experience. It is a very cerebral trippy head high that hits virtually instantly and powerful, but is also followed by body relaxation, and evolves into hours of being "high AF". It is a very potent strain, enjoyable for virtually anything you want to be high for, but not knocked out. While it does have body relaxing properties, and you won't have any trouble falling asleep, it is NOT a knockout indica by any means. I can smoke this any time of day and feel great, yet Afghan Kush for example, more than one joint/bowl/ or bong, and I'm knocked out, ready for a nap. This is a great all around strain but super potent. The first time I smoked it, I was blown away by how high I got (and almost borderline paranoid) I got from just two hits off of a small pipe.

Again, I'd like to stress that this has been consistant in potency and terpene profile, as well as appearance for going on at least 4/5 years.

The only thing that I can think of, is that perhaps this is a result of a trade that a seedcompany (Greenhouse comes to mind) that might have made a deal with Colombian growers for hundreds of thousands of their feminized seeds in exchange for access to strain hunt and gather the landraces. With that said, Greenhouse or any other seed company who would have made that sort of deal would obviously have the knowledge and the genetics to provide them with something that would clearly do well in the climate of Cali, Colombia, in terms of production and potency. This year, in Chile they busted a Colombian with 700 kilos and it didn't even put a dent in the supply.

I'd also like to mention that I'm aware of the fact that the term "crippy" has also been used in the past, especially in Florida, and was simply just a term for really good weed, similar to "dank", "chronic", or "dro" or "loud". But this Krippy that I appeared in Chile in late 2015 is known as Krippy throughout Latin America and the carribean and is all the same, so it leads me to believe that it is indeed a strain. I'd like to find out what strain it is, so I could grow it myself and give it love and care, because I'm sure it would turn out better and have better attention and nutrients than whatever they are using to mass grow it. With mass grows this large to supply Latin America, I don't think much attention is paid to each individual plant, but I could be wrong, as it's grown to full maturity and trimmed, which is a benefit.

That leads me to my next point. Obviously I am in Chile, not Cali, Colombia, so I'm sure if I lived in Cali, Colombia I would be able to get freshly dried and cured buds that haven't been highly compressed. Yes, this cannabis comes to Chile EXTREMELY compressed, but pure buds, all sinsemilla, trimmed, no obnoxious stems.

I'd also like to mention, that I am aware that in America, due to Bad Bunny and Farruko's song "Krippy Kush" which is trap hit in all of Latin America, and even reached the states, that Krippy has now become a term and hashtag for good weed once again. Bad Bunny and Farruko were speaking about the real authentic Krippy I'm talking about though, and it just turned into a new term, sort of like how the term "Chronic" came about on the west coast when they mis remembered the word "hydroponic" and it just became a term, but this thread is about the real authentic Krippy.

Attatched are pictures of said mystery strain only known as Krippy throughout Latin America and the Carribean and PR. Take note that even though it's been compressed to oblivion it's still insanely frosty and covered in trichs and grinds up well. Also I'd like to mention to further my point on how compressed this is, that the pictures of the buds I'm attatching were each about the size of a US dime (the smallest coin for those outside of the US), and together weigh over 3 grams.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can hopefully contribute to this thread. I guess I'm hoping someone in Colombia or in the know can come forward, or perhaps a seed company or someone in the know can come forward so I can figure out what strain this is, because it's a great strain that I think the world should be able to grow and try. Like I said, one hit wonder, never fails, consistant, and a day and night time smoke. You can fall asleep on this if you want to, but like I said, I don't think it's necessarily a sleep aid as while it has relaxing body effects, it's mainly cerebral, trippy and creative, as well as great for anxiety, and good to enhance any event or any thing.

Attachments

• 20191218_202709-0.jpg
    20191218_202709-0.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20191218_202726-0.jpg
    20191218_202726-0.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20191218_204639-0.jpg
    20191218_204639-0.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 104

J-Icky

Well I’d like to warn you that even if you were to obtain and grow it yourself that it may not provide the effects your used to. By compressing it the way they do causes many trichomes to burst and oxidize and thus causing it to “cure” a certain way. It being cured that way changes the cannabinoid profile slightly but in a way that would def be noticed.

For more info check out the Malawi cob curing techniques and how those change the overall effects. It’s a very similar thing that happens with “bricked” weed just on a larger scale.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well I’d like to warn you that even if you were to obtain and grow it yourself that it may not provide the effects your used to. By compressing it the way they do causes many trichomes to burst and oxidize and thus causing it to “cure” a certain way. It being cured that way changes the cannabinoid profile slightly but in a way that would def be noticed.

For more info check out the Malawi cob curing techniques and how those change the overall effects. It’s a very similar thing that happens with “bricked” weed just on a larger scale.

Oh I'm very well aware of those factors, which is one of the main reasons I'd like to grow it, because even being bricked, it packs such a huge punch, is a large yielder and I love the terps in these genetics. It's the one time I WANT to find a seed, lol. Preferably more, but if a seed is to be found, it would likely be due to self polination, but regardless I'd just love to grow it out and see what it's like as it is grown, flushed, dried, and cured properly. I have faith that it would be great and I'd love to get it tested and get a terp profile.

With that said, if this strain is indeed the result of a deal (which the strainhunters for example do on camera) of exchanging their seeds and knowledge of cloning, for access to the landrace genetics which unfortunately I fear are an endangered species, then that would make things easier, because I could simply buy said strain from the seed company.

CrushnYuba

The term krippy is a south fl thing short for kryptonite. The Bahamas are only 60 miles by boat from palm beach. I know "krippys" made its way from the Bahamas to S FL. I didn't know it was Columbian. I just knew it came from the Bahamas. I didn't think what i had was ado that great. Maybe what you had was different.
It's hard to replicate that Columbian sun and altitude. Environment has such a large impact on expression.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
The term krippy is a south fl thing short for kryptonite. The Bahamas are only 60 miles by boat from palm beach. I know "krippys" made its way from the Bahamas to S FL. I didn't know it was Columbian. I just knew it came from the Bahamas. I didn't think what i had was ado that great. Maybe what you had was different.
It's hard to replicate that Columbian sun and altitude. Environment has such a large impact on expression.

Facts, I agree with everything you've said, I even mentioned the Florida thing as well, but I'm unsure of what time period or if that was Colombian. You're also right about the sun and altitude, but I am under the belief that this recent Krippy that has emerged is not of Colombian genetics. The first time I saw and smelled it, I would have thought it was from the US based on smell alone.

I've been familiar with all of the Colombian weed that's been exported here and it's been good, what you'd expect, mainly sativa, but usually with some seeds, and barely trimmed, just the fan leaves usually.

This, is new, and as I said, stable and consistant, as well as sinsemilla. The fact that it's always the same and of such high quality, plus the rise of feminized seeds and the knowledge of growing spreading throughout the world, as well as known and documented trades with the Colombians and other natives of other countries, leads me to believe that this is a specific strain, not native at all to Colombia.

Also, regarding the "brick weed" aspect, as I mentioned it's extremely compressed, but I don't believe it's done in the old way or traditional way, as from what I've seen from the police raid videos on the news, its all vacuum sealed, and it does not have the smell that traditional brick weed has. This leads me to believe that they don't vacuum seal or press the weed while it's still wet. That, and the fact that they are always well manicured small to medium sized buds, I believe that it has some drying and perhaps even some curing, and then stuffed to the max, sealed, and then pressed, but I'm not from Cali, Colombia nor do I know anyone there, so that's only a theory.

I'd also like to disclaim I am in no way claiming that this is God's Gift to Cannabis. There are countless strains that have a higher THC%, and a subjectively better high. It's all personal preference. It is also by no means my favorite strain, or go to, so I'm not promoting the strain either, I'm trying to find out what strain it is, because I'd bet money it's something from a dutch or spanish seed company, probably has some chem genetics based on effects and smell, and i'm sure the sweetness comes from whatever sativa dominant strain it was crossed to.

I'd also like to disclaim that the likelihood of me finding a seed is slim to nothing, as it is not something I smoke regularly, nor would I have a large amount for the chance of finding one to be greater. Moby Dick is my go to strain whenever it's available, or Power Plant. While I love those strains, and my favorite strain of all time is Green Poison, I'm simply stating that the current Krippy that you would have to be in South America to experience, stands up to some of the most potent strains I've experienced, and it's unique flavor that is extremely pleasing to my me, as well as the effects, have me intrigued on what strain it is.

Perhaps Red Rider can chime in.

The only other thing I know apart from the fact that it's grown in Cali, Colombia, is that it's grown by a criminal organization that also traffics cocaine. So I imagine whoever is in control of this huge ass operation is very powerful, so perhaps this will remain a mystery just like "Uptown Haze/Piff".

If only I had the license or approval to be able to send a sample to Steve Tuck, or Phylos Galaxy I would know the lineage, but oh well. It's cheap, prevalent, doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so I guess people can enjoy it while it lasts.

My main goal of this thread, which I perhaps mislabeled the title by using the word "origins" regarding the name/strain was to identify what this current strain is. Not to be told "Krippy is just a long used term for good weed", yes I know that, as I stated in my original post. I'm specifically referring to this mass produced strain going under the name Krippy.

If I could, I'd let you all see it, smell it, and smoke it, and I feel you'd all agree it's a very potent, heavy hitting, award winning, flavorful, and consistant strain. It's not as if each batch over the past few years has been different. It's all been the exact same. I can't stress that enough.

Anyone here who's ever grown or smoked a strain more than once, knows the strain well enough to identify it, because it's unique, so you can relate. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many english speaking members from Chile or South America on this forum, and if they come as tourists they will probably be advised against smoking Krippy because of the news demonizing it because of it's high THC content and people believing myths that have been scientifically proven to be false, so that also presents a problem in my quest in getting any answers, but one can only hope.

I just feel as if it's important to identify the strain or preserve it before it disappears, because I'm not sure how things work with criminal organizations, but I know that they are always on the rader of the alphabet crew, so if the leader of this huge grow up gets taken down, there stands the chance this unique strain might disappear as well, just like what happened with the Uptown Haze/Piff in NYC.

I feel it's a crime against humanity that cannabis has to be illegal and repressed in many areas of the world. I hope to see the day where cannabis can be legally bought and sold internationally so people can just go on a website and order from whatever country they want from, but I doubt that will happen, or at least I doubt I'll live to see it happen.

So, in conclusion, my goal is to find information about what strain has and continues being mass grown in Cali, Colombia and is being exported throughout South America. Growing it is wishful thinking due to never finding a seed and I'm fully aware that the sun, and altitude play a huge part in why it's so great, but I am convinced that it could also perform well indoors and outdoors as I do not believe it to be Colombian genetics in origin, unless you want to be technical and say that most strains are based off of skunk 1 or haze which include colombian genetics, but hopefully you get what I'm saying. My final words for the time being is again to stress I am not saying this is the best strain in the world, the most potent, etc... etc... I'm saying it's fire, potent, stands up to the best, tastes amazing, and I want to know what it is.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Did not read the whole thread, but heard rumors that the reason thai stick and then thai bud was so good was they made a tincture from the leaves and trim, and then applied it to the bud to add THC.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could be OG Kush or cross of it. Any fuel taste to it?

I recently grew out some Blue Orca Haze, which is Thai stick x Kandahar indica. It made an experienced smoker puke, from the high thc. A variation of it is called "The One' and they sell it around California.

I stick to pure sativas and heirlooms but I am from the old times and the new types want a crushing effect from high thc. I am guessing the origin of Krippy is in the US or maybe Holland.

Pressed weed with oxidation causes it to become more potent than unpressed , Curing by the time it gets to you adds to the potency, even pressing buds with no resin running from it is very different smoke from unpressed.

No doubt its a very potent cultivar but pressed buds is a very different experience.

Carraxe

Veteran
Pressing the buds adds potency, and one of the reasons is that the resulting weed is denser. In terms of weight, you can just put more weed in a joint if it's been pressed. I've been fermenting and pressing weed for years.

Good luck with your seek. What I know is that the creeper is a mix with modern strains.

P

pongster

hey brother!
i've tried this crippy/krippy/whatever here as well for about a couple of years now.
it is indeed very potent, at first i liked it.

i would discard this as just one "strain" or even a random cross, i think most of it comes from post harvest process, becoming a different "product".

due to all the pressing, i hardly think one could find a viable seed; but stranger things have happened. who can forget finding seeds in the paraguayan brown bricks! haha

best wishes bro, and please keep this updated
:rasta:

TheDarkStorm

Luckily wat the original poster was looking for is only afew years back shouldn't be too hard to trace back..good luck mate

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Hola! I have a lot of experience with the crippy here in Colombia. In Bogota if you know people (anything you buy on the street is a rip off) crippy is cheap and easy to obtain. There are two delivery services that for 2,000 COP a gram will deliver 24/7. And as already said crippy is potent and for most people a really good deal. I myself have mixed feelings about crippy.
Fist time I saw crippy was here in Bogota in 2011 and it was much different than today. My old connection George stopped by my house with a few grams of what he called "crippy skunk" and it was super expensive compared to the regs I usually bought. Five thousand a gram I bought all he had on him.

View Image
Crippy Skunk 2011 First crippy

The next day George returned with 20 grams of another crippy he called 'crippy white widow'

View Image

View Image

After these two samples I didn't buy anything from George cause I harvested a few of my own plants. The next time I did buy I was able to obtain some very nice 'Corinto' that is not crippy but better than the regs.

View Image

Now the crippy in Bogota is like this example

View Image

I'll get more into it in another post but crippy is not what I like in cannabis and although I will on occasion smoke it, it is very commercial.More to come.

red rider

Yes! It's so great to hear from you, I finally made my dreams come true 8 years ago largely based on you living in Colombia! The last picture is exactly the Krippy I'm talking about that has been here for the past few years. Better quality picture as well, thank you! I got a new phone with a supposed "better" camera, but taking macro shots or taking shots of bud in general is a pain in the ass compared to my old phone... smh... Anyway, that is exactly what I'm talking about!

I agree with you Red Rider in that it's potent and fast hitting, but more so a party weed. As I stated, it's not my personal favorite either, but it is fire for those looking for high potency, nice terp profile, and distinctly sweet taste. I also agree with you on tolerance though, that's the only "negative" aspect of this specific strain or clone that's been mass grown. For example, if I get some, after smoking another strain for a while, I will get really high after just a few hits, but anyone that knows me, knows I don't take just a few hits. The next day I rolled at least a 1g fatty and it took me until half the joint to feel the full effects. BUT with that said, I've found that simply smoking another strain for a day or two, will reset your tolerance to this krippy.

As for the member who asked me if it has a chem or OG taste, no. The taste is pure perfumey floral sweetness, almost haze like, with just a touch of fuel behind it but not prevalent at all. The smell of the buds are where I can smell what I've only experienced in Chem/OG/ strains as well as Lemon G and Sour Diesel and their crosses. A lot of limonene and as I said like a lemon scented chemical cleaner, but nothing actually "chemical", I've experienced these terps in a variety of herb, and as I said, the news already confirmed it's not laced, or toxic, simply high THC.

Once again, thank you Red Rider for coming in and sharing your knowledge. That last pic seals the deal. I am surprised that yours is compressed, living in Colombia and all, but I guess that's how they do it. I'm not sure of the conversation rate, but here in Chile, Krippy is pretty cheap, but also very profitable for the Colombians, more so than the cocaine (which is also insanely cheap, compared to the western world, but I don't advocate the use of any thing other than cannabis, nor do I consume the cocaine here).

I usually only get Krippy when the only thing available is a pure indica, or a indica dominant, as I like smoking during the day, and don't like the lethargy that they produce, but they are great for me for night.

Right now I still have some Moby Dick left, some Afghan Kush, and quite a bit of outdoor kush grown in Los Vilos, Chile which is unbricked and packs a punch, but lacks in flavor and is not loud. Has a very pleasant but mild herbal/peppery/earthy smell and taste, but hits hard. Dense dense buds with large calyxes, but super cerebral at first but evolves into a pretty heavy stone. I DID find one seed in an oz, but I'm not that excited about it, unless magically it has a better terp profile. It's also likely it's from April, and wasn't stored correctly and simply lost it's loudness so I guess we will see.

I will definitely keep this thread updated, and plan on getting more Krippy when I can, as I like to have it around to smoke, along with the outdoor chilean weed from Los Vilos (a coastal hippie comune since the 70s), for when I don't have Grade A, and especially now while I am waiting on a February harvest and an April harvest. I will take more pictures of hopefully better quality once I figure out how to use this supposed advanced phone and camera smh.

Thank you once again to Red Rider and everyone else who has contributed to this. I think you all are correct in your belief of it being some sort of modern hybrid of US or Dutch genetics, perhaps even something from a Spanish seed company as they are killing it right now, in my opinion more so than the Dutch companies.

But still, for some reason I still have a theory that this is a result of a trade between Aryan and the Strain Hunters and the Colombian growers, because the timeline matches up perfectly.

Peace and love to all!

hellfire

Red rider, when you mention the supplemental lighting do they have to do that because it will autoflower or because of growing conditions outdoors (ie 12/12)?

CrushnYuba

Columbia is pretty close to the equator. It's 12/12 all year round.
Any type of indica dominant clone will flower instantly. Sativas and seedlings will grow longer.

Columbia is a great place for ganja production. I would kill to have some green houses in Columbia. Can produce year round chronic.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Columbia is pretty close to the equator. It's 12/12 all year round.
Any type of indica dominant clone will flower instantly. Sativas and seedlings will grow longer.

Columbia is a great place for ganja production. I would kill to have some green houses in Columbia. Can produce year round chronic.

Yes, that is one of the things the news segment mentioned as well as verifying that it wasn't toxic, just high THC, but they still demonized it, for that reason alone, stating that with these new genetics they are growing (which they called GMO, and also mentioned the dangers that now the same type of seeds with high THC content and low CBD are available in Chile as well). They claimed that because of these new genetics, they are able to have multiple harvests per year. It was a segment filled with ignorance because the woman who worked at the lab and tested it, which was 27% THC claimed that regular cannabis only has between 3-10% THC which is BS, I don't know what world she's been living in.

EDIT: Not insulting your intelligence and no offense intended, but don't be that guy making the common mistake of mispelling Colombia. There is no U in Colombia. But yes, I do know for fact that this krippy is grown in greenhouses in Cali, Colombia. Not just out in the open.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Yes it's always around 12/12 although we do have like seasons wet/dry. As far as the crippy, I always have some around, in fact I found some and smoked it right after reading this thread. It has a nice taste and since it's been awhile a really delightful effect. My buddy the grower (he only grows indoor too) loves the crippy, he's also in a band. I went to go see him play once and was like the oldest person there. Everyone was smoking blunts and hitting dabs, kind of rap music. Wasn't my thing at all so I split pretty quick but not before smoking some better than average crippy.
I was also told if I ever wanted to go to Cali with him I can get 500gr for 15,000 each. Thats like $5 a pound, but I'm not a buyer and not really interested in going there so I decline.

red rider

I'd love to do some traveling in 2020, especially due to all the political and social BS going on in Chile right now. I'd love to come visit you and see your beautiful country if I'm welcome. Flights from Santiago to Colombia aren't that expensive.

CrushnYuba

No offense taken on the spell check. I use a Swype keyboard. It tends to want to spell it Columbia. The country is spelled Colombia, but all the Columbia's in the usa are spelled Columbia. Like university of Columbia, district of Columbia, Columbia sportswear and all the town's of Columbia.

It sounds like what the UK did with "skunk". Weird claims by the media. Kids on tv saying they are addicted to "skunk". Same with Colombia and "crippy". Good weed comes around, they give it a funny name and things get weird.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
It sounds like what the UK did with "skunk". Weird claims by the media. Kids on tv saying they are addicted to "skunk". Same with Colombia and "crippy". Good weed comes around, they give it a funny name and things get weird.

That's a perfect comparison. The only problem is I'm trying to get to the bottom of this specific Krippy that has been consistant in it's appearance, flavor, smell, and potent high for years. I want to know what it is, but I don't have much faith I will get my answers unless I am able to get it to Phylos Galaxy or give some to Steve Tuck when he comes here next December. Clearly now and in the past "krippy" has been a term for good quality weed from Colombia, but this particular strain being mass grown is just out of this world, and stands up to some of the best heavy hitting sativa doms, yet with indica density.

Red Rider was also correct about it producing a LOT of dry sift. I am going to smoke the last of my Krippy now in my bong, topped with Krippy kief. First smoke of the day, so I'm hoping and expecting a good experience.

Hookahhead

I’m just a few clicks north of the equator. Crippy is around here too, and is considered the highest end available aside from US/Canadian import. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of info to add, you’ve already done a great job describing everything that I know about it. Hopefully someone else can pass along some info.

Latest posts

Latest posts