What's new

The Clear .............Thread!

Shaman101

I gave him $600 for the oz. Then he asked me if it had swirls in it, said his distiller had a leak at the thermocouple and asked to change it out for clearer product, I replied I'd like to keep what I had and could I pick up two oz's of the clearer stuff, same MMJ 'donation?' So, he comes over to my house with two jar's one looks a nice light yellow, the other bronze. He had his wife and kids with him... I rolled with it and said ok, as I was planning on using the second oz for oral use mostly anyway. After he left I found the bronze stuff was too harsh to dab with any pride, so I immediately contacted him and requested to change out the bronze for the best dabble grade he could come up with and I'd kick in $150 or whatever he thought was fair. It's been a couple of weeks with four proposed meet ups he's ditched me on....

Notice I didn't out the ICMAG Forums member's ID, my only problem with him is he's a pita to connect up with....

So, here's pics of the bronze crap, another member's offered to rerun it for me. I may just do a trade out instead, with some money/equipment/solvents to make up the difference.

I'll post pics of what I get and the total outlay.

http://www.dabathoncup.com

Oh ok thought it ran for that rate per g! lol thanks, for the clarification.
You still got a pretty good deal, considering oz of crude go at that price where im from, if you know the right people... The vacuum leak plus high temps may have affected the final product, and yea if its 1st pass without any fraction it wont be as good... You shouldnt have a problem re running and refining it.

And from what im reading starting material as a lot to play with how easily it'll distill...
Looking for more info on column chromatography, as of which solvents people use, im thinking of trying with ethanol only... Im hoping an ethanoic oil poured in a half filled column with silica will filter out unwanted. Seems everyone is keeping their column mix a secret...
And what about activated carbon? Im reading it can absorb thc, and that its advised to soak the granules in ethanol prior to the carbon filtration, is that true? And the maximum carbon used is half the weight of the crude oil before winterization?

And if i dont have enough vacuum and apply too much heat, the thc 9 will convert into thc 8 or cbd?

Shaman101

heat + reflux will cause delta9 to convert to delta8 and cbn. cbd isomerizes into thc.

Ok thanks for the quick reply! Ive seen ur work with diamond, havent tried any yet though, nice to see known artists on here!

Is there a standard safemark/limit (temperature/time-wise) to not convert delta9 in delta8/cbd? Im guessing i should use the decarb graph, any other suggestion?

So if i reflux with high heat, a cbd prominent extract, it will isomerize to thc? I thought sulf acid was needed to isomerize cbd to thc?

Shaman101

Is there a standard safemark/limit (temperature/time-wise) to not convert delta9 in delta8/cbd? Im guessing i should use the decarb graph, any other suggestion?
?

Is there a standard safemark/limit (temperature/time-wise) to not convert delta9 in delta8/cbn*

Cant edit my posts yet...

Old Gold

so it looks like summit is now making better heads, but what the hell is the "Schlussel Cannabis Key?"
http://summit-research.tech/product/schlussel-cannabis-key/

with the low price tag i can't imagine it's something very substantial, and it's probably something used widely in other industries....but what is it!

I always figured it's some kind of packing material or a calculated list of cannibanoid boiling points at various pressures or vapor pressures at various temps and 1 atm.... Just guesses though

Maybe a filtration method? Or an oxygen scavenger or absorbant of some sort that can be used in the boiling flask?

Last edited:

mobin

I always figured it's some kind of packing material or a calculated list of cannibanoid boiling points at various pressures or vapor pressures at various temps and 1 atm.... Just guesses though

Maybe a filtration method? Or an oxygen scavenger or absorbant of some sort that can be used in the boiling flask?

right? it says it ONLY works on their setups so i'm assuming it's glass pieces of some sort.

if i start swimming in dough in the near future, and nobody has yet spilled the beans....i'll toss some money away to find out just what the hell is goin on.

kazak

likely something to hang in the head to create more theoretical plates, like more vigreux would do, or packing, or a rod/tube with rings/plates; only fits theirs 'cause their head has a wide path straight through! so, molecules can go straight up and through unimpeded, hmm... add something in the way and you've a cleaner first pass.
short path distillation is just fractional distillation, but... short.

31qxvcogjGL.jpg

Domeless-Titanium-Male-Nail-Plated-10mm-14mm-18mm-Male-600x600.jpg

img_0304.jpg

flatslabs

a Maria is a glassblowing technique, so the guy who said it was a "triple maria" is probably pretty spot on to that last picture you posted.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gave him $600 for the oz. Then he asked me if it had swirls in it, said his distiller had a leak at the thermocouple and asked to change it out for clearer product, I replied I'd like to keep what I had and could I pick up two oz's of the clearer stuff, same MMJ 'donation?' So, he comes over to my house with two jar's one looks a nice light yellow, the other bronze. He had his wife and kids with him... I rolled with it and said ok, as I was planning on using the second oz for oral use mostly anyway. After he left I found the bronze stuff was too harsh to dab with any pride, so I immediately contacted him and requested to change out the bronze for the best dabble grade he could come up with and I'd kick in $150 or whatever he thought was fair. It's been a couple of weeks with four proposed meet ups he's ditched me on....

Notice I didn't out the ICMAG Forums member's ID, my only problem with him is he's a pita to connect up with....

So, here's pics of the bronze crap, another member's offered to rerun it for me. I may just do a trade out instead, with some money/equipment/solvents to make up the difference.

I'll post pics of what I get and the total outlay.

http://www.dabathoncup.com

I passed the bronze distillate pictured in that post on to mobin to see how much real clear he could pull from it, here's pics of a sample of some distillate he said he chased out the head post run.

Bright light yellow, no jar smell, sweet. I notice a very slight throat burn, and he had suggested it probably contains a minute amount of 'heavies,' doesn't take much apparently.

I'll do comparison pics when he gets back to me, he's dealing with moldy flower a bro laid on him, so definitely no hurry. :comfort:

Attachments

• Photo on 2-23-17 at 12.19 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2-23-17 at 12.19 PM #2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo on 2-23-17 at 12.19 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2-23-17 at 12.19 PM.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 14

Sobelivin

Great information on here. Would I get good results using a vacuum pump rated at 10 micron? What will be considered an "entry level" pump to get into distillation? Thanks for the insight

I passed the bronze distillate pictured in that post on to mobin to see how much real clear he could pull from it, here's pics of a sample of some distillate he said he chased out the head post run.

Bright light yellow, no jar smell, sweet. I notice a very slight throat burn, and he had suggested it probably contains a minute amount of 'heavies,' doesn't take much apparently.

I'll do comparison pics when he gets back to me, he's dealing with moldy flower a bro laid on him, so definitely no hurry. :comfort:

I think the "throat burn" might simply be par for the course regarding distillate. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't really seen any yet that didn't have that going on to some degree.

flatslabs

We have turned out some batches that were very smooth, I think it only takes a drop or two of the heavier fraction to spoil the batch and from seeing the pictures on instagram that people claim are distillate, not very many people are good at it.

We have turned out some batches that were very smooth, I think it only takes a drop or two of the heavier fraction to spoil the batch and from seeing the pictures on instagram that people claim are distillate, not very many people are good at it.

I believe you ............. I wouldn't consider it "spoiled" ....... just not as smooth as desirable ... and there's ways to remove/mask that harshness.

mobin

I believe you ............. I wouldn't consider it "spoiled" ....... just not as smooth as desirable ... and there's ways to remove/mask that harshness.

yes indeed. one must run nice and slow nice and low and be patient. that clear watery lookin shit takes its sweet ass time to come through.

when you think its done.....wait some more!

when you get it all out....the difference is amazing.

end distillate will be almost hard....and crack/break up at room temp.

yes thats right. i said it. distillate will shatter when done right.

PDX Dopesmoker

yes indeed. one must run nice and slow nice and low and be patient. that clear watery lookin shit takes its sweet ass time to come through.

Thats really surprising, decarbed or partially decarbed extracts are usually so much more runny/sappy than the THCA stuff that I'd assumed it was an inherent property of THC that it was runnier than THCA.
I wonder if decarbed hash oils are so much runnier because THC is more soluble in the cosolvents than THCA is.
Anyway nice job on making edible 100% THC shatter, thats pretty much game over as far as raw potency in solid concentrates goes.

I have gotten distillate that shatters as well. I find that like with coconut oil which at one temperature is solid and hard but a couple of degrees higher is completely liquid and runny, when distillate is very very pure it is rock hard at anything below 65F but melts down with much less effort and becomes very runny at anything higher than 75F.

mobin

so this is interesting.

http://summit-research.tech/uncategorized/transparency-reduced-color/

-add water for azeotropic separation of lingering components.
-carbon as an absorbant to encourage lightest available molecules evap before heavier.
-head packing.

i've been playing with rolls of 5 micron pore ss mesh as column packing to good results. propak is $$$$

mr. kremmermaner guy shows his "knowledge" with statements like "this is a known fact since cold carbon is useless and warmer carbon works better. in this case the transportation and delivery methods of carbon are weak, and hard to control. so moisture gets into carbon and retains the molecular receptors like a key and lock. using a oven to bake out the carbon is just a way of reactivating it. i am no scientist, but i can promise you this information is widely available with a better explanation. "

well at least he got it right at the end. super cooled carbon (ln2 style) would produce quite a favorable reaction for our purposes.....go toss some in the blue shit and put it in your system under vac......watch and learn. maybe i should write up a nda for this and then bitch about other people's ndas.......

Old Gold

Wow and he even wrote on the same page that this information is copied and paraphrased from someone else's NDA. Smart legal move....way to represent your company, you half-a-shovel...

That's more than likely what was taken directly from a guy who goes by @photon_noir on Instagram. He collaborated with icmag's own "foaf" in putting together what many believe was the first active recovery system for cannabis butane extraction. They called it the "honey-pot" and built it out of a pressure cooker and basic HVAC equipment I think.

He shares tons of info publicly already, but he does offer paid consultations regarding many things in the world of physical science and engineering, including cannabis distillation, isomerization, crystallization, etc. He has quite a nice resume, but who am I to judge anyone based off of that? He does know a lot right off the top of his head, and he actually speaks in comprehensible English.

.....Mobin's quote sums it up I'd say

Latest posts

Latest posts