What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clear .............Thread!

Honestly I'm not sure what happened. It was one our first 'successful' runs where our vacuum was completely stable and everything was finished poping before 230c and that's when we turned off the mantle. We have burned a few in the past and we were cautious to not go anything past 230 in the mantle. We are in the process of getting a cab profile should be done next week. The high is very body heavy and not so 'POW!' in the cerebral like what me and my friends are currently experience with some other clears on the market.
Make sure the lab tests for D8 THC. If you didn't use enough vacuum you will likely have a fair portion of your cannabinoids converted from D9 to D8

There seems to be a large price difference I am seeing between indoor and outdoor/greenhouse trim prices. Is it worth the price difference if I'm just going to fractionally distill it later and pull out all the terps and essentially throw them away anyway. Is it the strain that dictates the THC percentage or is it the way it was grow or both?

Lizard Fish

I can only speak for my own grown and processed nugs. My indoor and outdoor yield about the same, maybe slightly in favor of the outdoor. but the outdoor always has more waxes and fats picked up so less yield when it comes to distillate after winterization.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Honestly I'm not sure what happened. It was one our first 'successful' runs where our vacuum was completely stable and everything was finished poping before 230c and that's when we turned off the mantle. We have burned a few in the past and we were cautious to not go anything past 230 in the mantle. We are in the process of getting a cab profile should be done next week. The high is very body heavy and not so 'POW!' in the cerebral like what me and my friends are currently experience with some other clears on the market.

My first experience with this current generation's fractionally distilled oil, $20/g from a SoCal MMJ grower/vendor, purchased specifically for oral consumption, so being slightly smelly and not perfectly clear is fine. I've been dabbing it, immediate, strong, clear cerebral stone, couldn't ask for more from the high itself. Very pleased!

:tiphat: Huge thank you to the community for getting me hooked up properly! Extracting some grower supplied Paris OG next... :dance013:

(I used a hair dryer to get it to move...)

Attachments

• P1020500.jpg
    P1020500.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
  • P1020501.jpg
    P1020501.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P1020498.jpg
    P1020498.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P1020511.jpg
    P1020511.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P1020514.jpg
    P1020514.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P1020515.jpg
    P1020515.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
I have a vacuum distillation set up. I've not attempted to run oil through it.
I have a short path coming with a large equipment purchase in several weeks. From what I can see the difference between the two is the condenser.
The liebig condenser I currently have is very long compared to the cold finger of the short path.

..what is the big difference between the two where oil distillation is concerned?
is it simply oil left behind in the condenser.

Old Gold

I have a short path coming with a large equipment purchase in several weeks. From what I can see the difference between the two is the condenser.
The liebig condenser I currently have is very long compared to the cold finger of the short path.

..what is the big difference between the two where oil distillation is concerned?

Research things like "molecular distillation of thermally sensitive and high-boiling compounds," mean free path, short path, and basic fractional distillation techniques. Edible oil refinement will provide lots of information on useful - but not necessary - decoloring/deodorizing agents and filtration methods.

killa12345

Nice to see ya posting here General. Im going short path this year as well! Good luck on your research!

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
@Old Gold ..thank you ..I'm finding a lot of good reading.

@killa12345 ..great to bump into you here ..I don't post as much as I would like but I still lurk here and at the train pretty hard.
very excited to set up the short path and get to work. I have a lot produce to get through as soon as my new facility is up and running.

Predjee

It's just been distilled. We put turnkey kits together and you just click a button and get everything you need for this process including tutorials and customer support to walk you through the process. It's surprisingly easy. It's just like how they make moonshine but with a good vacuum and some lab glassware.
The days of this being a secret or extremely expensive are over and in the future it will be a requirement of every concentrate producer in order to stay competitive.

Please tell me more! :)

Shaman101

My first experience with this current generation's fractionally distilled oil, $20/g from a SoCal MMJ grower/vendor, purchased specifically for oral consumption, so being slightly smelly and not perfectly clear is fine. I've been dabbing it, immediate, strong, clear cerebral stone, couldn't ask for more from the high itself. Very pleased!

:tiphat: Huge thank you to the community for getting me hooked up properly! Extracting some grower supplied Paris OG next... :dance013:

(I used a hair dryer to get it to move...)

Hey everyone, longtime lurker here, nice thread here!

20$/g???

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone, longtime lurker here, nice thread here!

20$/g???

I gave him $600 for the oz. Then he asked me if it had swirls in it, said his distiller had a leak at the thermocouple and asked to change it out for clearer product, I replied I'd like to keep what I had and could I pick up two oz's of the clearer stuff, same MMJ 'donation?' So, he comes over to my house with two jar's one looks a nice light yellow, the other bronze. He had his wife and kids with him... I rolled with it and said ok, as I was planning on using the second oz for oral use mostly anyway. After he left I found the bronze stuff was too harsh to dab with any pride, so I immediately contacted him and requested to change out the bronze for the best dabble grade he could come up with and I'd kick in $150 or whatever he thought was fair. It's been a couple of weeks with four proposed meet ups he's ditched me on....

Notice I didn't out the ICMAG Forums member's ID, my only problem with him is he's a pita to connect up with....

So, here's pics of the bronze crap, another member's offered to rerun it for me. I may just do a trade out instead, with some money/equipment/solvents to make up the difference.

I'll post pics of what I get and the total outlay.

http://www.dabathoncup.com

Attachments

• P1020580.jpg
    P1020580.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1020579.jpg
    P1020579.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 12
  • P1020578.jpg
    P1020578.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020576.jpg
    P1020576.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P1020575.jpg
    P1020575.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 11
  • P1020581.jpg
    P1020581.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I gave him $600 for the oz. Then he asked me if it had swirls in it, said his distiller had a leak at the thermocouple and asked to change it out for clearer product, I replied I'd like to keep what I had and could I pick up two oz's of the clearer stuff, same MMJ 'donation?' So, he comes over to my house with two jar's one looks a nice light yellow, the other bronze. He had his wife and kids with him... I rolled with it and said ok, as I was planning on using the second oz for oral use mostly anyway. After he left I found the bronze stuff was too harsh to dab with any pride, so I immediately contacted him and requested to change out the bronze for the best dabble grade he could come up with and I'd kick in $150 or whatever he thought was fair. It's been a couple of weeks with four proposed meet ups he's ditched me on....

Notice I didn't out the ICMAG Forums member's ID, my only problem with him is he's a pita to connect up with....

So, here's pics of the bronze crap, another member's offered to rerun it for me. I may just do a trade out instead, with some money/equipment/solvents to make up the difference.

I'll post pics of what I get and the total outlay.

http://www.dabathoncup.com

That is distillate? o.o

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good question.

He grows indoor Gorilla Glue and Paris OG, claims his Paris is the origin of OG... it's at least a superb cut, I have pics up.

Gregarious guy, offered me a MK III Terpenator to experiment with, but I think what he really wanted was an extractor with facilities, as he extracts his own crops with a buddy, winterizes, and then the buddy does the distillation. Single pass was all they were doing, yesterday he mentioned they were trying some second passes. He's vending this stuff, cartridges, jars, edibles, tinctures, he'll have vendor presence at Dab-A-Thon, and probably Chalice. I was disappointed to hear his clearest oil tests about 85%, the second grade a couple or three points higher, he's still conjecturing an explanation.

I seriously and sincerely hope that helps move things along, no intent to step on the brother.

Good question.

He grows indoor Gorilla Glue and Paris OG, claims his Paris is the origin of OG... it's at least a superb cut, I have pics up.

Gregarious guy, offered me a MK III Terpenator to experiment with, but I think what he really wanted was an extractor with facilities, as he extracts his own crops with a buddy, winterizes, and then the buddy does the distillation. Single pass was all they were doing, yesterday he mentioned they were trying some second passes. He's vending this stuff, cartridges, jars, edibles, tinctures, he'll have vendor presence at Dab-A-Thon, and probably Chalice. I was disappointed to hear his clearest oil tests about 85%, the second grade a couple or three points higher, he's still conjecturing an explanation.

I seriously and sincerely hope that helps move things along, no intent to step on the brother.

I've been doing some testing with distillate lately as well. What's interesting to me is how it changes color pretty quickly especially when it's in a cartridge. What begins as a yellowish tinted hue turns to amber within less then a week. It isn't necessarily bothersome but interesting nonetheless.

Anyone else experience this ? Typical perhaps ???

Old Gold

I've been doing some testing with distillate lately as well. What's interesting to me is how it changes color pretty quickly especially when it's in a cartridge. What begins as a yellowish tinted hue turns to amber within less then a week. It isn't necessarily bothersome but interesting nonetheless.

Anyone else experience this ? Typical perhaps ???

Oxidation is a sure thing. I don't know how, but some big producers claim even their water clear doesn't change color with oxidation. Maybe distilling in the presence of oxygen scavengers is a good idea.

It will obviously help to keep it stored in large quantities, as air won't be able to permeate the top layer. That's why some see a sheen of reddish-pink form on it.
Most cartridges aren't air tight by any means. And are you diluting or just using raw distillate?

Also, be careful with things like rubber stoppers and/or plastic syringes. I've seen nearly tasteless distillate react with that rubber, and it began to leech over the course of a few weeks.

I'll post a pic of oxidation in a syringe, as the side exposed to more air reacts first (air pockets in the robber stopper seal)

Oxidation is a sure thing. I don't know how, but some big producers claim even their water clear doesn't change color with oxidation. Maybe distilling in the presence of oxygen scavengers is a good idea.

It will obviously help to keep it stored in large quantities, as air won't be able to permeate the top layer. That's why some see a sheen of reddish-pink form on it.
Most cartridges aren't air tight by any means. And are you diluting or just using raw distillate?

Also, be careful with things like rubber stoppers and/or plastic syringes. I've seen nearly tasteless distillate react with that rubber, and it began to leech over the course of a few weeks.

I'll post a pic of oxidation in a syringe, as the side exposed to more air reacts first (air pockets in the robber stopper seal)

I am diluting ... 1:1 in fact. I'm not "storing" anything in plastic syringes not does anything come in contact with rubber. I notice this transformation even in glass jars.

There isn't any change in taste/flavor/harshness .... just color.

Old Gold

I am diluting ... 1:1 in fact. I'm not "storing" anything in plastic syringes not does anything come in contact with rubber. I notice this transformation even in glass jars.

There isn't any change in taste/flavor/harshness .... just color.

MCT oil? The immediate reason I asked if you dilute is that it would allow the molecules to readily slide past one another, exposing more to the surface where air might be.
Does the transformation happen consistently throughout, or more so as a layer?

I actually meant to bring this up a while ago, but I noticed that my distillate became slightly MORE aromatic - and in a very pleasant way - after some oxidation. It went from a light gold to a bright amber. It began tasteless when eaten, but a very slight hint of something sweet every now and then when dabbed. After oxidation, every dab has that minor sweet aroma. Suuuuuper subtle, and most people can't taste it all. My crew knows flava :dance013:

Here is exactly the oxidation I speak of. This distillate came from a friend, but the mildly sweet aroma (most notable upon exhalation and lingering in the room) showed up with oxidation in mine as well.

Last edited:
MCT oil? The immediate reason I asked if you dilute is that it would allow the molecules to readily slide past one another, exposing more to the surface where air might be.
Does the transformation happen consistently throughout, or more so as a layer?

I actually meant to bring this up a while ago, but I noticed that my distillate became slightly MORE aromatic - and in a very pleasant way - after some oxidation. It went from a light gold to a bright amber. It began tasteless when eaten, but a very slight hint of something sweet every now and then when dabbed. After oxidation, every dab has that minor sweet aroma. Suuuuuper subtle, and most people can't taste it all. My crew knows flava :dance013:

Here is exactly the oxidation I speak of. This distillate came from a friend, but the mildly sweet aroma (most notable upon exhalation and lingering in the room) showed up with oxidation in mine as well.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63835&pictureid=1706544&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Yes as it transforms it does so layer by layer starting at the bottom. I've seen this using various diluants...... MCT, PEG, PG, VG with the MCT clouding up a bit to boot.

I have some CBD distillate from a different source and it does the same thing

Dr.Terp

Make sure the lab tests for D8 THC. If you didn't use enough vacuum you will likely have a fair portion of your cannabinoids converted from D9 to D8
Good point Goldleaf, I see "distillates" in shops with 55% THC, LOL, I bet they have an extra peak in analysis that their lab dont have a standard for... Anyone got decent data on residence time and delta-8 formation?

Latest posts

Latest posts