What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clear .............Thread!

hash head

It's an ethanol extraction that we just reduce to about 100ml so it's just slightly viscous, so we can work with it and pour in into the flask. So it's more than likely ethanol boiling at room temp.
watch the levels during the THC fraction (after the initial ethanol/terpene heads fraction) I suspect they will slowly go lower and lower.. Where is the gauge located in the system? if its after the condensation flask and cold trap I bet the readings would be lower than if its connected to the main flask..

Man its been a while. I haven't been keeping up with you guys.
. my vacuum pump wasn't a hook up and run deal, with some minor mechanical knowledge one can make a cheap old welch work for the purpose of making distillate.
if you just wanna turn out production runs.....good luck! Can't offer my opinion there.
I agree that most of the Welch pumps can be bought for cheap and rebuilt, but it's somewhat of a crap shoot. You'll get a good one every once in a while where you just change the oil and let it run a bit and that's it. Others you'll get and are more work than they're worth and you'll have to scrap it. Mostly you'll find ones that need a minor rebuild. It depends on how you value your time. I'd rather pay someone to rebuild it, or better yet buy a new one with a warantee because you want to move your project forward not get stuck in a rut.

Quick question.... can you use bubble hash as a starting material for short path distillation of THC? Can't seem to find the answer, most people use BHO
You can use any hash dry sift etc, but you will need to soak it in ethanol and winterize it first, or it will come out cloudy.

How do you not get the stank to end up in the distillate? It's this nasty smokie smell that just gets into everything the distillation head, receiving flasks, vacuum lines, and end product.

Is it a terpene that I collected too early or is it from over-cooking the flask. It seems like my main body is coming out late (250-280c). I don't know if it's our vac (can only get down to 0.7torr).
Your vac lines will get gummed up often so its best to replace them regularly. Redistilling is the easy fix, but a little trick is to have a total reflux of the cannabinoids but at the tip top of the column on the verge of flowing into the condenser. Hold it there for a while and it will get out most of the terpenes that are usually carried over. The cow port is a good place to draw vacuum from as well because it allows the terpenes (which are still vapor) to flow to the cold trap instead of your end product.

how much does cfm matter for the pump you choose in short path distillation?
Don't get too high of CFM. It's not a super big deal but there's a nice range that you want to stay in. The reason is that you want to give the time necessary for the terpenes to condense. If you draw too high a CFM more of your vapor will move passed the trap and into your pump.

Hi, where to start reading to learn all this stuff? :)
Right here!!! You came to the right place. You can ask us anything.

Thanks goldleaf. Can redistilling successfully separate a previous distillate that's been over heated and it exhibits that burnt smell. Or is it junk at this point?

Also what is the minimum amount of starting oil you put into a 500ml Rb boiling flask that utilizes a 24/40 spd head on it. Is it possible to put sand in my 500ml mantle and then put say a 250m boiling flask. I would like more a micro setup to dial things like the vacuum, heat ramping, and fraction changing in a bit better before running large batches.

Did you happen to get that shipment of heads in? ^^
Not yet. These guys are killing me :(
Thanks goldleaf. Can redistilling successfully separate a previous distillate that's been over heated and it exhibits that burnt smell. Or is it junk at this point?
If you overheat cannabinoids it turns to D8-THC and CBN. It doesn't create a smell at all. The smell are terpenes or VOC's that have been carried into the cannabinoid fraction. If you redistill you should remove most of what's left. If it still has a smell then distill again until its gone. Once you get pretty good it shouldn't take more than two passes, although three always looks more pretty

Also what is the minimum amount of starting oil you put into a 500ml Rb boiling flask that utilizes a 24/40 spd head on it. Is it possible to put sand in my 500ml mantle and then put say a 250m boiling flask. I would like more a micro setup to dial things like the vacuum, heat ramping, and fraction changing in a bit better before running large batches.
I would recommend it be at least 1/4 of the way full but you can probably get away with less. So probably around 100g would work. Switch to a 250mL for less than that.
You can use sand in your mantle but its pretty messy. You'll need clean sand. Buy it from the store or if you collect it from somewhere you'll need to burn all the junk out of it first. Put aluminum foil around your flask because the sand will stick. Lastly the sand has a large amount of heat capacity. It will not change temperature very quickly so be sure monitor temps and control power accordingly. It's like driving a caddilac the inertia will cause you to lose control on every turn unless you take it slow and easy.
Lastly mantles suck.
They take the temp of the contents of the flask and not the transfer medium. If you set it to 220 it will continue pumping heat into the flask until it reaches 220 and will then shut off and all the remaining heat in the mantle will continue to heat the flask and will go right passed your set point. You want to retard the power when approaching your set point. Some proportional gain controllers will do this but not the cheap chinese mantles.
It's much more accurate to take your temp readings from the transfer medium instead of the flask contents. The differential and the fluctuations will be much smaller this way.
image24505.jpg

Deb420

Clear is easy to make. I make it. It is a frozen Etoh extraction and then distillation. I teach people to make it.

watch the levels during the THC fraction (after the initial ethanol/terpene heads fraction) I suspect they will slowly go lower and lower.. Where is the gauge located in the system? if its after the condensation flask and cold trap I bet the readings would be lower than if its connected to the main flask..

Sorry missed this... We have the gauge about 3ft from the pump. We remove the cold trap when we get close to the thc fraction.

But guys we are having a new problem. We made about 60ml of distilate from a batch of bho from an unknown strain. But we have been getting complaints that the effect is feeling a lot like a stress high. I must admit there is def something weird about the high. My question is since we are mainly just isolating thc, does the strain even matter at that point? THC is THC right?

mobin

My question is since we are mainly just isolating thc, does the strain even matter at that point? THC is THC right?

THC is THC in its effects. Indica and sativa are nothing more than innate genetic growth patterns influenced by the earths magnetic forces and gravity in their regions of origin with additional direction from the sporadic/yet discovered quantum properties of atoms.

Same molecule is produced.

Separating thc from other molecules means you'll generally have an uppy "sativa" high.

Different "strains" might have a genetic predisposition (enzyme action differences) to producing more of a component (thc or cbd) or different component like thc-v which also could have some impact on effects depending on how you fraction.

If you accidentally left some of the lower boiling point items in there that could indeed be a source of discomfort.

If people are simply coughing their lungs out from inhaling a lot of thc well that does happen in my experience too.

Roji

Sorry missed this... We have the gauge about 3ft from the pump. We remove the cold trap when we get close to the thc fraction.

But guys we are having a new problem. We made about 60ml of distilate from a batch of bho from an unknown strain. But we have been getting complaints that the effect is feeling a lot like a stress high. I must admit there is def something weird about the high. My question is since we are mainly just isolating thc, does the strain even matter at that point? THC is THC right?

Maybe you converted it to cbn...

Honestly I'm not sure what happened. It was one our first 'successful' runs where our vacuum was completely stable and everything was finished poping before 230c and that's when we turned off the mantle. We have burned a few in the past and we were cautious to not go anything past 230 in the mantle. We are in the process of getting a cab profile should be done next week. The high is very body heavy and not so 'POW!' in the cerebral like what me and my friends are currently experience with some other clears on the market.