What's new

The Clear .............Thread!

hash head

Anyone running a spinning band? Would love to hear some good things before buying more wiped film units. Chinese WFE is doing well enough but it sounds like spinning band has quite a few benefits vs. WFE.

Do either of these have benefits over traditional short path distillation? It seems automation and large volume is a benefit but at the cost of quality and loss of efficiency due to having to distill twice for colorless clear.. a traditional short path can produce 5 lbs a day of single distilled colorless product.. how much volume is really necessary and at what cost? What do these more elaborate machines like wiped film or spinning band have that makes them better distillation equipment than short path?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do either of these have benefits over traditional short path distillation? It seems automation and large volume is a benefit but at the cost of quality and loss of efficiency due to having to distill twice for colorless clear.. a traditional short path can produce 5 lbs a day of single distilled colorless product.. how much volume is really necessary and at what cost? What do these more elaborate machines like wiped film or spinning band have that makes them better distillation equipment than short path?

Speed as in pounds per hour.

R.Kipling

Ive had problems with a red/pink film coating the top of my head does anyone have any idea what it is or how I can avoid it? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• short path head.jpg
    short path head.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 13

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We found it to be water soluble, so suspect anthro cyanins, which are C-30 sized molecules, typically left in the flask. What temperature are you finishing off at and what vacuum level are you running at?

R.Kipling

We found it to be water soluble, so suspect anthro cyanins, which are C-30 sized molecules, typically left in the flask. What temperature are you finishing off at and what vacuum level are you running at?

Thank you so much for the input!! Its popping up around 215 give or take couple of degrees. I don't know the exact vacuum as was told it wasn't necessary to have a controller/gauge.

This theory makes sense as it did not happen my first run but has every batch since. normally I have to disassemble mid run clean everything and start back up and thats killing me.

flatslabs

Thank you so much for the input!! Its popping up around 215 give or take couple of degrees. I don't know the exact vacuum as was told it wasn't necessary to have a controller/gauge.

I don't know who told you that, but I couldn't disagree more. If you have no instrumentation you really have no idea what is going on. If you value repeatable results at all, invest in a proper gauge, and not a cheap one.

Concentrated_

Anyone have good luck getting usable terpenes with a traditional short path. I'm interested in finding a reliable way for terps to add to my pens.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This theory makes sense as it did not happen my first run but has every batch since. normally I have to disassemble mid run clean everything and start back up and thats killing me.

I recommend that you pick up a good vacuum gauge. You have to know both the temperature and vacuum to know what is going on.

Old Gold

I'm seeing 220-235 in the boiling flask (220-225 at vapor temp) at an unfortunate vacuum level of 1.5-2.5 Torr. Refurbished Alcatel Adixen 2021i (claimed to be tested at 5 mTorr) is only pulling to ~188 mTorr directly on the gauge. Boiling points make sense as far as recorded and calculated values go, so I'm not too displeased....just want that deeep vacuum

R.Kipling:
Are you seeing the red/pink film during runs or after them? I took my system apart while still hot, and 5 minutes later this happened. I had dark golden tail fraction coming through the condenser when I finished the run, and none was coated on the top of the condensing tube as pictured below. Definite oxidation of sorts.

picture.php

Last edited:
It's probably anthocyanins. I get this with first pass of dirty crude. The older the material, the darker purple that you will get. After the first distillation I found that a hexane/saline wash takes it out, but have found that I can't get it all out without distilling once first. It won't come out with a carbon scrub. I will go through 10 gallons of salt water per kilo of oil before I have a completely clean wash.

Old Gold

It's probably anthocyanins. I get this with first pass of dirty crude. The older the material, the darker purple that you will get. After the first distillation I found that a hexane/saline wash takes it out, but have found that I can't get it all out without distilling once first. It won't come out with a carbon scrub. I will go through 10 gallons of salt water per kilo of oil before I have a completely clean wash.

Do anthocyanins oxidize the same color at any pH? I admittedly did not try to dissolve it in water...next time...
The crude oil was not scrubbed with any adsorbents nor salt water. My picture is after 1st pass.

Old Gold

Do anthocyanins oxidize the same color at any pH? I admittedly did not try to dissolve it in water...next time...
The crude oil was not scrubbed with any adsorbents nor salt water. My picture is after 1st pass.

R.Kipling

Sorry about the delayed response, I have recently acquired a welch vacuum controller so I know whats going on.
I've been getting mine mid run and having to take my system apart and restart. I have suspected oxidization but have never had proof.

LostTribe

Premium user
Haven't been doing oil for quite a while but thought I would pop back into my thread and say thanks to all for such great work!

LT

There is an organic fungicide named Regalia that looks/acts like a thick red pigment. Stains red. It is a co2 extract of Japanese knotweed.

When I saw the question about red in distilled extract.... made me wonder.