What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blueberry Trials

clearheaded

I always think mel frank when you post dank ;)

Whats interesting is when DJ talks he doesnt say oh how wonderful the smells are but always says blueberry is all about the high and smoke... and that it does keep well. which is interesting.

i suppose DJs may lean more floral as per coming from floral line..?

muffin perhaps comes from some nuttyness or sweet spice vanilla give the baking? or is it more the artificial blueberry smell. folks refer to? artifical blue is more of what i have ever smelt which is what is in cheap blueberry muffins. compared to purple grape smells or darker &tropical fruits of guava melon extra ripe pinapple cherry. which to me are far less unmistakenly real fruit odors.

what someone needs to isolate is a saskatoon berry pheno! extra floral berry if have never tried it! similar to BB but with maybe more of the richness of acai and floral notes.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. DJ named his line "blueberry" for the appearance - it had absolutely NOTHING at all to do with the flavor profile. He said as much many years back, but it fell on deaf ears and all anyone could think or wanted or expected from his lines was blueberry flavor.

I had come across a lone 1/8th of the best blueberry tasting cannabis I'd ever had - and could never get it again. That alone convinced me it was a real thing and could be found.

Before I made an account here, in between my time on overgrow and here, I grew out $1,000 of blueberry genetics. I think it was only like 4 or 5 packs at the time. They were expensive then so not many people were running legit gear. Lot of F2's circulating, but usually from small populations and poorly chosen parents. So I broke down and got the real deal and was disappointed big time.

I found floral and grape type plants - but a musty stale basement grape. There wasn't anything even remotely "blueberry" to be found in the lines. This was 2004-2007'ish. The lines I searched produced absolutely nothing that came close to that lone 1/8th of blueberry cannabis I had stumbled across during the years of prowling for the good.

It was in chat one evening, while expressing that dissatisfaction with having spent the time and the money and found nothing, that Chili opened up about Digi and we started talking.

I'm glad that DJ and JD re-worked their lines. Honestly, it needed to be done. Some people can praise the mutations all they want - I've worked with the lines for a very long time. The mutations are nothing more than a pain in the ass and the result of inbreeding depression. It's not some desirable trait for anyone other than pot snobs clinging to some by gone days of when information and knowledge wasn't available in mass to tell us better ways to accomplish breeding goals.

Carolina Blue clone - Blue Sat 2.2 x Grape Krush - had 6-7 generations of stacked blue family lines. That cross produced ONE good plant. ONE. The rest weren't the type of flowers that you'd ever be able to sell in a modern market. They'd get turned into extract without a second thought. It was baffling that such a good plant could surface in the line when everything else surfacing was really subpar.

I've said myself, the Carolina Blue x Digi Bx1 - produced offspring that could barely even grow they were so deformed. I didn't praise that work. I sidelined it. Others, carried the line to F2 and have found some enjoyable plants - but again, they are fewer than I'd desire and you've got to sort through the mutant freaks and runts to get to the plausible gold.

FACT IS - if you read the forums from 2008-2012/13 - NO ONE was finding "blueberry" smelling cannabis. It was getting to the point of being like RKS - just another myth.

Read the forums. I'm not just saying it. It was absent from the market.

IF Phylos hadn't pulled the stunt they did, Digi would have found it's way into the galaxy this year along with other things I've worked on. I've always been curious exactly what her heritage is tied to and it would have been nice to know. It would have helped to put an end to the lingering jealousy and bitterness that resides in some.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice post dank.frank!

In the 90's we were lousy with blueberry. It's all we smoked. I got so sick of it. Who knew it would suddenly disappear. People move on when something else comes along. I sure wish we even kept some seeds. Just got sick of it. Idiots haha.

Having grown so many blueberry plants I know what I'm looking for. So if it is there I'll find it. The one plant I found in the blue heaven seeds leads me to believe it is in there. The seeds we grew way back when were definitely finicky plants. Many growers results sucked and I was always amazed how they could take our clones and result in a floral bud that was nothing like our results. BB doesn't like stress or any kind of issues. That was evident when the worst growers complained of hermies when we had never seen one.

So far we have Fractal genetics BB, True BB, Joey Weed BB, Hazeman BB on the way. I'm really excited for Hazeman BB, every single plant from his seeds and strains have been excellent. Maybe 3 breeders I can say I have never gotten a bad plant from. Haze is at the top of that list. His blueberry should be excellent, fingers crossed.

The Blue Digiberry is in the air, big thanks to VG for making that happen!

Next order will be CAD, Joey, DP, and DJ. I am going to start sprouting seeds mid August. These trials will be from clone of every plant. Seed plants will be saved in veg until the clones have been flowered and evaluated.

Back when we grew BB in the 90's we used Earth Juice. Well it's unfortunately not the 90's anymore so we will use Botanicare as it's my staple nutrient but I will be getting some Earth Juice to give a whirl as well. Heard it has changed, lots of things have, but I'd like to find out first hand.

New bulbs ordered and the lumber for new room is on its way. Electrician works for beer so have plenty of that ready for him.

Progress.

Another thing to note is I do not plan on making seed with any of the results for purchase. I AM NOT trying to profit from DJ Short's work. I am just looking for the old school BB for myself family and friends. End of story. No need to blow me up with hate mail, I have far to much respect for breeders to simply cash in on someone else's work.

Things are heating up! Going to be some Blue daze ahead!!

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
FACT IS - if you read the forums from 2008-2012/13 - NO ONE was finding "blueberry" smelling cannabis. It was getting to the point of being like RKS - just another myth.

Read the forums. I'm not just saying it. It was absent from the market.

dank.Frank
That is a huge over statement and plain wrong.
Dutch Passion was still making regular seeds with their Blueberry around 2008-2010 and you could find blueberry tasting/smelling plants from those seeds, as i did. Pictures of the plant can be found from the first pages of this thread. Igerminated half a 10 pack and found a real BB-pheno. I still have rest of the seeds somewhere. That's a fact. :biggrin:

..maybe some pot snobs just didn't think DP's Blueberry was worth look into "cause they stole DJ's work" or something.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trifoliate Old Time Moonshine anyone?
picture.php

Happy Times

Nice post dank.frank!

In the 90's we were lousy with blueberry. It's all we smoked. I got so sick of it. Who knew it would suddenly disappear. People move on when something else comes along. I sure wish we even kept some seeds. Just got sick of it. Idiots haha.

Having grown so many blueberry plants I know what I'm looking for. So if it is there I'll find it. The one plant I found in the blue heaven seeds leads me to believe it is in there. The seeds we grew way back when were definitely finicky plants. Many growers results sucked and I was always amazed how they could take our clones and result in a floral bud that was nothing like our results. BB doesn't like stress or any kind of issues. That was evident when the worst growers complained of hermies when we had never seen one.

So far we have Fractal genetics BB, True BB, Joey Weed BB, Hazeman BB on the way. I'm really excited for Hazeman BB, every single plant from his seeds and strains have been excellent. Maybe 3 breeders I can say I have never gotten a bad plant from. Haze is at the top of that list. His blueberry should be excellent, fingers crossed.

The Blue Digiberry is in the air, big thanks to VG for making that happen!

Next order will be CAD, Joey, DP, and DJ. I am going to start sprouting seeds mid August. These trials will be from clone of every plant. Seed plants will be saved in veg until the clones have been flowered and evaluated.

Back when we grew BB in the 90's we used Earth Juice. Well it's unfortunately not the 90's anymore so we will use Botanicare as it's my staple nutrient but I will be getting some Earth Juice to give a whirl as well. Heard it has changed, lots of things have, but I'd like to find out first hand.

New bulbs ordered and the lumber for new room is on its way. Electrician works for beer so have plenty of that ready for him.

Progress.

Another thing to note is I do not plan on making seed with any of the results for purchase. I AM NOT trying to profit from DJ Short's work. I am just looking for the old school BB for myself family and friends. End of story. No need to blow me up with hate mail, I have far to much respect for breeders to simply cash in on someone else's work.

Things are heating up! Going to be some Blue daze ahead!!

Wondering who’s CAD?

Awesome variety of BB ya got lined up, this thread is gonna be really interesting later this year!

Last edited:

highsteppa

Veteran
Imo the best bet of getting an awesome bb is by crossing o’s cut with our stretch indica. They are both incredible and more or less opposite in regards to effect and plant structure. Both yield well.

rolandomota

Veteran
Sagarmatha? and I found a blueberry candy smelling male of f2 or f6 blueberry once so it's their for sure damn cops

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
fwiw, about 15 years ago we running some White Russian and Skywalker. I don't remember what one hermied on us, but the resulting seeds....very blueberry in smell. We were having a foosball tournament at the house, I took doobie from case in pocket and put in ear. Everyone around thought there was a blueberry pie in oven, kept asking. I am not joking, it was the most blueberry in smell and taste I have ever seen. Second most blue like thing we had came out of a few packs of da purps, very intense berry like, but not really blueberry.

rolandomota

Veteran
What a bad time to be broke damn it o well at least the Newberry will be taking off In a day or two it's going to be a berry Christmas this year unlike last year in December when I bought these and had no weed until January

Miraculous Meds

Heya amigo, hows it going? Did you source any original dj bb yet? I got some for ya if not. I might have a few more to throw in the mix. I could spare some new otm work dj and i are doing, plus i got a few of my ultimate blueberry flavor/aroma plant in seed form finally. My blue star mother x dj's f4 bb male. I have a few in late veg, getting ready to flower. Stem rub aroma gives me high hopes my blue star mother traits are carrying on. Also dj is working some new f4 gear, of which a new green stemmed f4 male is being tested out. I have several of his offspring going now. There are some particular b series f4 females that smell of blueberry. Dj mentioned this is from his 80's breeding stock. Oh and one more cherry on top, dj and jd are working on releasing either 80s or 90s breeders stock packs too.

Holler back amigo, ill get ya some of this gear for your trial.

browntrout

Veteran
An interesting blueberry sativa pheno that popped up from my tripleberry F2 breeding, quite different from the others.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trifolate OTM day something from seed. I'll have to look at my notes.
picture.php

Regular OTM doing well.
picture.php

Here's the runt of the litter, still chugging along.
picture.php

And then there's this one who is obviously not happy about something.
picture.php

She's in the exact same soil recipe from the same batch the other 3 are in, so I'm kinda scratching my head. I checked her over for insects, but haven't found anything. Anybody got any ideas?

Only thing I can add but I don't think it means anything, I found a mushroom growing in this pot about 10 inches away from the plant. It was dead from the lights being on, but it was pretty decent sized. About 4-5" tall with a 2" diameter cap.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Looks good :)

I wouldn’t worry about the mutant, looks genetic to me. The plant will either grow out of it or continue to look funky. Pretty common in the blue lines.

The mushroom fruiting bodies I wouldn’t worry too much about either. Shows there’s some spore in the soil and a developing mycorrhizal of some sort. Might benefit the roots and shows rich soil :)