What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blueberry Trials

beta

Veteran
After researching a bit further, I've found out the OTM I bought was an F11. And unless I'm completely off base with how breeding works (which is entirely possible), at that point it's damn near a landrace. Which would account for all the goofy shit I'm seeing. I wonder how many packs I'd have to sift through to find a killer plant? 20? 30?

Inbreeding a line a bunch doesn't make it a landrace, it makes it really really really really really really really inbred.

Landraces are open pollinations involving HUGE populations over many human generations.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Inbreeding a line a bunch doesn't make it a landrace, it makes it really really really really really really really inbred.

Landraces are open pollinations involving HUGE populations over many human generations.

Aren't those massively inbred as well? With a lot of male, female, and intersex plants. With lots of mutants as well? Or are there no mutants?

Ncali

Veteran
Aren't those massively inbred as well? With a lot of male, female, and intersex plants. With lots of mutants as well? Or are there no mutants?

"Landrace" is a term that really references a collection of plants acclimatized to a specific geographic area, location, region etc. It's a group of plants that have gone through a natural/environmental selection process instead of a human one.

I think a good term, in my humble & amateur opinion, for what you are describing is a stabilized line. 11 generations is a lot, and awesome!

There a lot of cats highly educated in taxonomy termz, perhaps one of those indivisuals can drop a knowledge bomb on us regarding "landrace" terminology and origins of that term in a more academic sense...

beta

Veteran
"Landrace" is a term that really references a collection of plants acclimatized to a specific geographic area, location, region etc. It's a group of plants that have gone through a natural/environmental selection process instead of a human one.

I used to think this too but it's incorrect. Landraces -are- huge populations and they -are- acclimatized to a specific geographic area, but by definition they were selected by humans.

If they're huge populations acclimatized to a specific geographic area and there is no human selection they are considered wild.

beta

Veteran

They are inbred as well but there usually aren't a ton of mutants because most plants with deleterious traits won't survive in the wild. Nature selects against deleterious mutations pretty aggressively.

Modern inbreeding done by humans (small populations, indoors, etc) results in TONS of freaks and mutants because we generally aren't testing the progeny against harsh conditions before they get used to create the next generation.

Ncali

Veteran
I used to think this too but it's incorrect. Landraces -are- huge populations and they -are- acclimatized to a specific geographic area, but by definition they were selected by humans.

If they're huge populations acclimatized to a specific geographic area and there is no human selection they are considered wild.

Cool info, thank you :tiphat:

ChemCat

I've been planning this project for awhile now and it is time to get underway. Seeds will not be sprouted until the end of August, as I am gathering the genetics over the course of the next few months.

I am going to grow every Blueberry I can find side by side. I am building a new room specifically for this grow out. I will be using organic soil, HPS 1k lights.

Blueberry and I go back to the early 90's. We grew so much I never wanted to see the stuff again. The seed was purchased in Canada by a friend of a friend. They grew all the seeds and let them open pollinate, producing many many seeds.

I was gifted several hundred which I grew out, keeping the best or most interesting female plants. The results were incredible. A squat classic blueberry indica leaning plant that reeked and tasted of blueberries. A sativa leaning pale green flower with a blueish tint that was racy, heart pounding heaven for me back then. And many others with tastes ranging from vanilla, coffee, hash, fruits, the whole nine. Those flavors we're icing on the cake because it was the effect that initiated the love affair between blueberry and myself.

Everytime I browse seed sites I always wind up drooling over a blueberry of some kind, so I have decided to see what is out there in 2019.

I've read all kinds of things, grown several, and think it's time to put the available varieties and current clones to the test. Blueberry is difficult to grow properly, hence the poor reviews I read all the time. I am currently smoking some Blue Heaven I can taste the gold in so to speak. The effect is phenomenal, up, positive, long lasting, fridge raping, peaceful, Heaven.

I ask the members of ICMAG to let me know what seeds you would like to see grown out, they obviously need to be available currently. Also any clones people might have that want them to participate in this side by side, let me know. As many blueberry varieties as possible will make for some good information for those seeking the best blueberry genetics in the future.

NO BLUEBERRY CROSSES

This trial is for advertised straight blueberry.

I will make the list in this first post and update as seeds and clones are selected for the test.

Thanks ICMAG and have a toasty day!
This has the potential to be the best ever thread on any forum.

Any news on the start date Lester and what packs you have got on board.

CC

Stonecutter

Joey Weed and Bluedigiberry Results

Joey Weed and Bluedigiberry Results

I flowered 9 plants, 6 Joey Weed Blueberry, and 3 VG Bluedigiberry.

First the Joey weed plants;
While there was some strong blueberry smells during flowering, by the time I harvested at approx. 9 weeks these no longer had a blueberry smell. The dried buds had aromas of floral and fuel smells mainly. And not much taste. There was one plant that had a quite surprising berry taste when smoked, but the rest were not great in terms of flavour or smell. The smells were mainly a light floral smell with some fuel.They were good smokes though, fairly strong, but not overpowering, with varing levels of euphoria. There was also some variation in size and yeild, as well as density of buds. I have kept two for further comparisons, the one with the berry taste, and another that had a good high and big yeild of solid resinous buds.

So my conclusion is that the Joey Weed version was a good alternative to the DJ Short plants I have tried/grown. But for the purposes of this thread, not a great source of the blueberry taste/smell.

The bluedigiberry were much more flavoursome. Of the three, one had a strong musky grape flavour and smell, a lower yeild, but a nice euphoric smoke. Another had a strong floral smell, rather than berry, ok high, quite 'spacey' I have written in my notes. The third had a more citrus/fuel flavour and smell. Not fruity, and not too special a high.

When I say berry, I kinda mean a fruity berry flavour, but not blueberry. When I get that I will tell ya, in CAPS!

So of the two, the digiberry is the place to look for flavours and smell. Not a conclusive sample, but I hope this adds to the data set of the thread and is of some interest.

PDX Dopesmoker

This is definitely the first time I've heard the lack of blueberry terps in cannabis explained away as 'blueberries don't really smell like blueberries'. :laughing:
After working in some big kitchens, I've got the impression at least some particular odors vary with the density of the odor being inhaled and when the scents get too thick they begin to change character. For example, good quality kalmata olives have a strong blueberry syrup scent when you're draining a 10 kilo container of them, but with just a small bowl of them they smell like olives. A real roadkilled skunk changes odor as you get closer to it too. Blueberries also probably have subtitles in the odors that you don't notice unless the volume is turned up to 11.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Howdy folks!

Been busy working on the room and getting my supplies ready. Made great progress and lost my space. The very next day I found new space. Better space. So tore everything down and in the process of moving it all. Then rebuild in new space. Just what I needed, more work. But how about that, lose space and find new space immediately, that shit never happens. Sweet baby Jesus I finally got some luck haha!

Beans taking a dunk this coming week then into Solo cups. Will make a temp veg space until room is ready so we do not have any delays.

My order from the tude is taking way too long and it is becoming a worry. I have seeds to start. I obviously can't run ALL strains out there at once. I'll take stock and list what's germinating first. He.m.p.dep.o.t should be here soon as well.

This is going to be good, get your popcorn folks!

Have a great weekend everyone and stay toasty!

meizzwang

didn't read through the whole thread, but in case it hasn't already been mentioned, Seedsman's fem. blueberry is definitely not blueberry. It's greasy, potent, and very indica dominant, but zero blueberry terps.

I had the real deal blueberry only once in the late 1990's: unmistakable blueberry aroma and flavor, it's incredible.

beta

Veteran
I find it completely unbelievable that there isn't a single well known clone-only that's traded around that has REAL blueberry terps if REAL blueberry terps really exist in cannabis.

imo true blueberry terps are a legend, born of mis-remembered generic 'berry' tasting herb.

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Mr. J

I find it completely unbelievable that there isn't a single well known clone-only that's traded around that has REAL blueberry terps if REAL blueberry terps really exist in cannabis.

imo true blueberry terps are a legend, born of mis-remembered generic 'berry' tasting herb.

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.
I would probably say the same thing except I remember the old school skunk weed that doesn't seem to exist anymore either. People say the same thing about it but they're wrong.

nickman

Veteran
Can’t wait for this to get underway ...!!!...

This is gonna be a Baddass thread my brother ...!!!...
:tiphat: ... :woohoo: ... :biggrin: ...

budsnblunts

Veteran
Hey Lester I too love blueberry strains.. I have grown out a few seeds of blueberry gum from g13 labs. Some awesome blueberry smells from a couple of mums I kept. I also grown out some blueberry twist from female seeds. These were more grape leaning smells and the flower did appear to go hermit towards 6 weeks on wards... just my input cheers.
:tiphat:

beta

Veteran
You remember some weed back in the day that smelled super skunky, huh? I don't think anyone denies that skunky weed exists. Hell, most of us have personally smoked very very skunky weed. Maybe not the 'Roadkill' people claim to remember, but again... Rose colored glasses.

I would probably say the same thing except I remember the old school skunk weed that doesn't seem to exist anymore either. People say the same thing about it but they're wrong.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
No one called it roadkill until the interwebs. It was called skunk, smelled like skunk spray and rotted meat.

Blueberry was mouth coating blueberry flavor, blueish tint to the flower some purple. Exceptional effect that had legs.

Grew both extensively. Smoked both for years. This isn't a case of nostalgia, this is fact as I grew and smoked pounds of them both.

If you weren't around in the 90's smoking then you just don't know. If you were smoking in the 90's and never came across these two strains then you don't know.

I can assure you they are very real.

Mr. J

You remember some weed back in the day that smelled super skunky, huh? I don't think anyone denies that skunky weed exists. Hell, most of us have personally smoked very very skunky weed. Maybe not the 'Roadkill' people claim to remember, but again... Rose colored glasses.
I'm not gonna argue about it with you because you don't know what you're talking about. We had weed that smelled like a skunk. Believe it or not.