What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blueberry Trials

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dank frank, werent you pushing another strain for quite some time that was never available?:confused:

Pushing? No. Can't say I was and can't say I am here. Sharing my experience - that on the other hand...I have done that frequently as such is the purpose of forums.

And since when does saying someone else did good work have anything to do with the availability of that work? Or in some way make me responsible for said availability? :tiphat:

dank.Frank

Morcheeba*

Veteran
Lester Beans,

i wish you all the best on your hunt and im running some Humboldt Seed Co Blueberry Muffin and while i only popped 1/2 a pack (10 seeds) every female is overpowering blueberry. not much if any muffin smell but the smell is loud. an ounce bag of this in a 5 gal bucket w/1lb 9 oz of various stuff and all you smell is blueberry.

im really picky on the high b/c i consume a lot for my medical condition so i need stuff that cuts thru everything else and the blueberry muffin doesnt make the cut.

all of the BBM have great structure, the lateral branching grows out before growing up making for a squat bush.

peace

99problems

Pushing? No. Can't say I was and can't say I am here. Sharing my experience - that on the other hand...I have done that frequently as such is the purpose of forums.

And since when does saying someone else did good work have anything to do with the availability of that work? Or in some way make me responsible for said availability? :tiphat:

dank.Frank
Sorry, it wasn't dank.franks fault they weren't in stock but mine due to me buying the last pack!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Humboldt seed co is responsible for the bbm cut darkheart has. I ran it. Great smell, finishes quick but NO flavor. Literally i got no lingering flavor whatsoever. Same from their strawberry cheesecake. Two biggest disappointments this year :( their fire og cut is legit af however.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
Humboldt seed co is responsible for the bbm cut darkheart has. I ran it. Great smell, finishes quick but NO flavor. Literally i got no lingering flavor whatsoever. Same from their strawberry cheesecake. Two biggest disappointments this year :( their fire og cut is legit af however.

none of my BBM have the smell transfer and even after 70+ days of cure only a slight taste and that could be overflow smell making you think you taste it.

i have their Mango Tree flowering now so i hope they are not flavorless, if so ill never try anything else they have, no need to waste time on something w/o flavor.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im currently running their grape ape hoping for that old school purp flavor. Their fire og is legit. That hades og is kinda wack. Super low yields interesting smell but not showing much og character. Back onto the track of blueberry, the northern berry from peak seeds i had smelled of bb but leaned nl and at least had flavor. I bet there is some gold in their straight bb.

Drewsif

Muffins.... So it's the name that carries strains not the genetic. Totally different from Blueberry that people talk about. Baked goods doesn't belong in Cannabis, thats practically the 'hay' smell of sweet strains.

I would take Sunshine Daydream over any other "blueberry" out today. And it's still not close

igrowone

Veteran
Muffins.... So it's the name that carries strains not the genetic. Totally different from Blueberry that people talk about. Baked goods doesn't belong in Cannabis, thats practically the 'hay' smell of sweet strains.

I would take Sunshine Daydream over any other "blueberry" out today. And it's still not close

that is an interesting take on things
i have had a few with some sweet hay, nothing that i would call muffin
but i could see that, interpretation can legitimately vary

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I wanted to address this muffin thing.

Never in any of the real Blueberry flavored cannabis I have grown or any of DJ's work have I run into any muffin aromas. That must be a new thing, like the name RKS on the skunk strains. I never heard Blueberry muffin before being on here and more recently.

The Blueberry we grew that reeked of fresh blueberries, tasted the same, and smelled when burned like blueberries and purple weed. No floral, no muffin, no hay, no anything but acidic blueberry. Powerful flavor, coat your mouth and a Marlboro and mountain dew wouldn't erase that mouth coating flavor. That's what I'm looking for.

The other bonus was the high lasted a very long time, positive, but potent, euphoric, motivating, great cannabis.

The descriptions of a lot of these blueberry strains I'm hearing isn't much like the BB I'm familiar with. I guess we will find out. I'm not stopping until I find it. Not just the flavor but the effect as well.

Hey dank.frank, the site I was looking at DJ beans were out of stock, all your fault too man haha! You are like Obama, you get blamed for everything. On a serious note, thanks for that Digi write up. I always value your opinion. Hope your veggies are growing as well as your herbs.

Cheers everyone

herbgreen

Veteran
The good blueberry I experienced was a few of those things potent, euphoric, positive I don't know about motivating...maybe with the mountain dew :biggrin:

Anyhow, very blueberry green/blue color very frosty

But this was a selected plant a cut....Its something that indeed needs to be discovered and protected

Which explains your project here

Dj Blueberry is at JBC and SHN ....ATM

But also you can get Dutch Passion Blueberry in regs and fem seeds

That may be where your plant originated....DJ gave BB and Flo seeds to them and they eventually stopped paying him for it and just ran with it but they made the selections or maybe they never paid him but that is how DJ's strains hit the world in mid 90s

And it was a pheno that had to be found in there for sure...There is for sure a learning curve on the BB as far as it goes

A worthy project for sure and the DJ pks may have more solid stuff or the Dutch Passion might be a little different that it was back then

But blueberry back then I believe only really came from Dutch Passion and later sagarmatha also Canadian banks picked up on it bigtime and may have killer phenos isolated

For sure Dutch passion even if they have taken DJs work and ran with it ...It may very well be slightly differnet version than what DJ sells currently

Possibly what you remember so well....:ying:

This is a good interview for anyone who hasn't heard it yet....

https://soundcloud.com/the_pot_cast/episode-28-ft-dj-short-of-old-world-genetics

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lester - I'll be completely honest in saying I've heard some die hard DJ fans comment the Digi line work wasn't for them because the flavor was not PURE blueberry, but rather, blueberry muffin. It's certainly not a "new" thing - and I'd agree, that I've not seen that in DJ's work - floral, certainly without question - but not muffin - and it's specific - Digi has been around over 25 years - and I keep having to remind people, she is likely not "blueberry", but rather a plant with a thai behavioral growth quirks and just happens to have the most amazing blueberry muffin flavor that DOES pass to the next generation. Not a little - but distinctly.

It's just good cannabis at the end of the day and it's been a line that has been momentous in my experience with this plant and in some way shaped my opinion of everything I've smoked since.

Even when I find something AMAZING - the first thing in the back of my mind is ALWAYS - now let's add a little Digi to it. That is just like...my opinion...maaaaaaan. :joint:

As far as the seeds go. Oops. Let me see what I can do on my end. I KNOW I have some Carolina Blue x Digi Bx1 I could part with - but those germination rates may be pitiful. :tiphat:

There was a member here years back by the name of Coooper - I'm wanting to say, or something similar. He was hunting a blueberry he had tried at a harvest festival in new york many years prior. He bought 4 packs of CB x DB - in a bidding war - for over $250 a pack. This was 2013 - that wasn't happening then.

I felt terrible, but he sorted those seeds to my knowledge, and had a project going with them. He felt the gene pool had what he needed. I haven't heard from him in years, but it'd be interesting to know how much progress he made.

dank.Frank

TnTLabs

A blueberry sativa expression with berry/fruity/nutty/baked smell, similar to baked cake, she was not consistent in the smell, very sensitive, but once i grew her under LEDs my gf said it reminded her blueberry muffins (without me asking about it ofcourse!). It really was similar, but the smell was not very loud..The high was some of the best, it brought so much emotions and good vibes, stimulating and pleasant, incredible weed.

that effect is exactly how i remember blueberry to be as well,
very social weed, was uplifting, made people laugh and lasted a decent amount of time, were the first clones i ever got, sadly i have no memory whos line they were from
anyway great pics

:::: great thread Lester and wish you all the best!!
:thank you:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the only place you will find them just be on the lookout they weren't sold out when I posted the link. Hook us up verdant green
I wish I had some true blueberry to add to my collection as well

Hey guys, i will check the freezer next week and try and sort out another batch. Certainly stock of the F2s is dwindling and i need to start thinking about doing something about that too.
There should be a few packs left though....
VG

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I’ve been working with DJ’s Blueberry lines in seed form since 2013.

I find 4 different traits of the Blueberry smell:
-Fresh Blueberries
-Blueberry Muffin
-Blueberry Perfume(floral)
-Blueberry Syrup(a la Smuckers)

Ive bred all four into seed.
The Muffin pheno is my favorite, with Fresh Berries being a close second.

The rip-offs like HSO’ BBM pale to the real lines. And you can tell them right away because there are no mutations. Further, I’ve talked to a lot of extraction artists and they all agree HSO’s BBM does not translate at all into extracts. One had me try a dab without telling me. When I asked what was it, he laughed and said, “exactly.” HSO is just cashing in on the brand DJ made. And I see others doing the same, even with decades old cuts that cant be accounted for. “Just slap a known name on there and lets make money”
I see it all too often.

Simply, if 1in4 are not mutants, its not DJ Short’s gear.
I also find most mutants will either grow out of their mutations, or will still be able to grow enough to pump out the best finished product you’ve had.

Here’s my Blueberry Muffin.
This is from the first year I got her stable in seed (yes the flavor and high continues in progeny)

Attachments

• DBBEAD93-0FE8-421A-8B7D-AF746089B162.jpg
    DBBEAD93-0FE8-421A-8B7D-AF746089B162.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 48A5B59A-0C4B-4343-8AA1-2BD0C2DEDCD2.jpg
    48A5B59A-0C4B-4343-8AA1-2BD0C2DEDCD2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 38

DJXX

Veteran
Hey Lester...nice thread...man when you find the Blueberry that checks all the boxes...i want some too...ill be peeking from time to time...rock em brah..DJXX

beta

Veteran
Does anyone know what DJ Shorts "True Blueberry" is all about? :tiphat:

A buddy gave me a pack, I researched it for a few days but never found even one person who said they'd found a keeper from 'em.