What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tangie, is it hype or is it legit

Is there any point in growing Tangie if you don't have a sense of smell and your sense of taste is all messed up? I grew a Sweet Seeds Cream Mandarine F1 FV and everyone that has tried it says it smells and tastes amazing, high-wise it's total crap. Are Tangie concentrates winning cups because of the aromas or is the potency / high somehow unique?

[edit] Most strains don't hit me hard now that I can't smell anything, do you need to sense the terpenes for them to have an effect?

Interesting. I know terpenes are responsible for adding more medicinal value. There is a factor to tolerance when getting high that has to do with situational factors. Getting high in new places makes you feel 5x higher. Maybe the taste is part of the experience as well that makes some people feel even higher. I wouldn't think they need to be tasted to work but maybe that factor of tasting affects the way you feel the high because of the situation?
May i ask what happen to your sense of smell? My sisters old best friend did not have a sense of smell.

O i thought the real tangie was clone only?

Real Tangie usually come from crocketts seeds but there are also similar strains.

Tangerine Dream from Barneys seedbank is often confused with it because Crocketts "tangie" was called "Tangerine Dream" in the 90s before Barneys released their remake of the so called "Tangerine Dream, aka Tangie. Barneys genes are far different than crocketts.

Also there is a strain from Colorado called Tang with altogether different genetics again and ive seen people with cuts of that, or a more indica "tang" and were told it was Tangie in the beginning so there is alot of confusion, especially with the cuts being handed out.

tangerine kush is some nice one also...

found a pheno that is incredible in smoke.... its the only strain that i dont see again after i rolled some :D

pure orange/tangerine smell, no other smells at all

Ahhh i remember trying some at Chalice last year! It was some tasty stuff! Strong flavor almost like tangie, i can't forget that! Then the dudes gave me a shirt because i was so stoked! And i was so high from the dab i forgot my shirt at their booth. Doh! the shirt said "Heavily Medicated" lol

First u say its the same then you say youve just bought both to vompare. So what is it then mate?

Ive smoked both. Aint the same. Both great fucking weed. Ill take tangie for the dankness over agent. Differwnt taste smell looks and effect. Pretty obvious its different.

Tangie for the win for sure. Imo both carry citrus names. Tangie lives up to it name in flav. Maybe its the dankness as well I love. If agent o had similar dankness it would be close but tangie is more loud orange flavs...

okey i got ur point... i had 10 super Agent orange cut, one was almost the same as the winner Tangie..but I lost them.. (have to finish mom roos in some hour) here none of the growshops have TGA gear but easy to buy DNA.. some frineds would like it again as we have the FF cut, but mine was much better..

so if i will be lucky I get some TGA again to work with and why not compare with DNA

about crocetts selection u can read my teory from others also

I just want to find something close what I had.. dna or tga dosent matter...

olekingkole

I have a couple Tangie's grown from Crockett's seeds. An amazing thing is how long their smell lasts compared to anything else. I kept some in a humidor a 2 months ago. Since then I've stored several other strains there, but it still smells of Valencia oranges.

S

sourpuss

Hey very curious about crocketts tangie. What do you think about it??. Tangies some loud fire for sure... dont think ive tried crocketts.... have you tried both dna and croketts?

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey very curious about crocketts tangie. What do you think about it??. Tangies some loud fire for sure... dont think ive tried crocketts.... have you tried both dna and croketts?

I'm pretty sure it's the same stock. I got my Tangie and Taffie at the Emerald Cup from Aaron and Crockett at the CannaCruz booth.

olekingkole

Sourpuss, I only have Crockett's, so I can't compare. One of my Tangies smells of Valencia oranges, the other is a mix of orange, cheese, and fuel. Both have medium THC content but the odor seems to enhance the potency and people really get high on them. I also have Crockett's Tangieland, which has more THC than the Tangie but doesn't smell so much of oranges.

S

sourpuss

Thx for the feedback guys!! Oh and I guess I was refering to reserva tangie. Seems to be under reserva brand and crockett. Have a few reserva stashed away. Might grab some crockett as well... really like the tangie a lot..

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hallo friends,
Let me chime in and some spice to this speech...
I've been far from the ic for a while, but this doesn't mean I'm still woriking on orange.
I read and heard lately on this tangie.
It's a real hype in amsterdam these years.
I tried it in different forms, and when properly grown it's delicious.
But my mouth and nose and experience always give me an alert, driving my brain to agent orange.
To my agent o, the cup winner and the moltitude of the seeds it produced. As male and female.
There is not much difference. This orange terpene is there, slight different variations on the theme, more due to growers skill and luck IMO.

I just want to tell you this story.
It was 2012, november, hash dinner party in amsterdam. I had two different hash packs. One for the dinner and one for personal use during the party. It came from an ao and nycd seed run. It tasted wonderfully orange and everyone was amazed...
And the tangie hash which won?
A bland version of orange.... side to side comparison. With witness.
With the 2012 prize at 420 cup I was working with orange lines, crosses included since at least 2 years.
It had been 8 months that I was extensively spreading my ao crosses in NL and spain, and at those time were available only nyghaze x ao crosses and few others. I shared with ic friends, as well as with soma and some other people...
For me it was just sharing the orange and make people happy.

May these seeds have landed into dna boys hands?
Maybe...
Just a coincidence they appeared 8 months later with the hash and one year later with the seeds?
Just a coincidence the parents in the description given are the same?
Just a question, who produced these lines?
Who knows....

Nyghaze came from a 250+ selection of soma seeds, a recessive, special, special one. Completely another world from barney bland version.
It's easy to find a winner in her progeny.

I'm running a comparison test now.
I have some original ao, some f2s, some nyco, some satsuma, some tangie and some nyghaze ao, and a few ao crosses going into sexing now.
So far i'm smelling differencies, but leaf shape, vigour, and overall appearence are puzzling me.
I have extensive experience with orange traits.
I tried them all in seed form.:dance013:
I have to finish this round and tell the results.
I'm more curious than anyone else to smoke the first buds.
I'll let you know the progress.

Just an hint. I'm seeing so many orange crosses overfert and with canoing leaves.
Cali o is a light feeder and prefers light ferts and organic systems.
Peace
Dr.P

ThaDocta

Veteran
Pulled straight from a High Times article where Crockett is HT's host at his farm. He clearly states that Tangie is made from 200 "Orange Velvet" seeds he got from the PNW. AKA, Agent Orange from Subcool.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/sensi-sierras-0

He says he crossed it with "Candy Jack"... Considering I don't remember any pure Orange Velvet (remember this is the Melvin clone renamed) seeds sold in mass, and AO is (Orange Velvet x JTR male) I would wager a guess that Tangie is just some AO F2's... WOOOORRRDDD UP!!!

Last edited:
S

sourpuss

Interesting!! I found them different but of course different growers and skillz and methods... im surw these guys above know whats up....

Croissant

Pulled straight from a High Times article where Crockett is HT's host at his farm. He clearly states that Tangie is made from 200 "Orange Velvet" seeds he got from the PNW. AKA, Jilly Bean from Subcool.

He says he crossed it with "Candy Jack"... Considering I don't remember any pure Orange Velvet (remember this is the Melvin clone renamed) seeds sold in mass, and AO is (Orange Velvet x JTR male) I would wager a guess that Tangie is just some AO F2's... WOOOORRRDDD UP!!!

back in the day TGA did have a release they were calling "orange velvet bx," it wasn't a big release and it was auction only. So it is possible that it is not agent orange or jillybean, but from that "orange velvet bx," release that I remember being advertised as more intensely orange than either their the AO or the jillybean.

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pulled straight from a High Times article where Crockett is HT's host at his farm. He clearly states that Tangie is made from 200 "Orange Velvet" seeds he got from the PNW. AKA, Jilly Bean from Subcool.

Really interesting article.
an orange velvet bx or jilly bean. Yes, it's possible.
The orange notes are the same.
Same background, same orange peel sweetness.
I/also already tried jilly bean.
Nice flavour and bag appeal, but too light for me.
I just smoked one and really not appreciating barely any high...
Whay is candy jack? A sweet jack herer pheno?

S

sourpuss

So tga was actually behind the whole tangie craze? Or could be given props for the strains existence along with crockett and dna I guess...

Croissant

Who knows... for sure except crockett. I have tried the original old school cali Orange clone. It was pretty happy and had more of a tangerine smell with a sort of tingle than a sweet orange. A nice buzzy floaty high. That original clone crossed to something like the cracker jack clone could be legendary though.

In fact when I first smoked Cracker Jack which is a jack herer x green crack hybrid I distinctly remember thinking that the cali-o I tried a decade earlier would be the perfect mate to it in a hybrid that could possibly surpass either parent.

In any case I believe that crockett could have found a killer orange velvet phenol and crossed it to a killer jack or jack hybrid that surpasses tgas jacks cleaner on every level. Then done a phenol hunt and found something stellar. Why not?

maybe he found the perfect combo in his own f2s of his own hybrid. There is no reason to believe he didn't.

ThaDocta

Veteran
I suggest reading the article. It says he is their host, meaning their information in that article, from 2013, pre-Tangie craze, is directly from the horses mouth.

It says he got 200 seeds to start with. I find it highly unlikely that he purchased 200 seeds of Sub's orange velvet bx in those quantities. Were there even more than 20 packs even sold in the first place? If so, I guess crockett was the only one to get any orange velvet bx seeds.

He says he crossed it with Candy Jack. Well anyone that's familiar with what Candy Jack is.... It's just renamed J1, Candy Jack, Jack Flash. It's all the same cut! that circulates the Norcal Cloners market. It's not a M/F strain, it's a CLONE. So either he feminized Candy Jack/J1 onto Orange Velvet bx seeds in a quanity that was never sold, then made M/F seeds from that...

Or.....a much more probable scenario

He bought 200 Agent Orange seeds from Subcool and found a dank female, or made f2's and found something. FWIW, i've seen several Jilly Bean phenos that are unmistakably the same lineage as Tangie, IMO..

Croissant

I suggest reading the article. It says he is their host, meaning their information in that article, from 2013, pre-Tangie craze, is directly from the horses mouth.

It says he got 200 seeds to start with. I find it highly unlikely that he purchased 200 seeds of Sub's orange velvet bx in those quantities. Were there even more than 20 packs even sold in the first place? If so, I guess crockett was the only one to get any orange velvet bx seeds.

He says he crossed it with Candy Jack. Well anyone that's familiar with what Candy Jack is.... It's just renamed J1, Candy Jack, Jack Flash. It's all the same cut! that circulates the Norcal Cloners market. It's not a M/F strain, it's a CLONE. So either he feminized Candy Jack/J1 onto Orange Velvet bx seeds in a quanity that was never sold, then made M/F seeds from that...

Or.....a much more probable scenario

He bought 200 Agent Orange seeds from Subcool and found a dank female, or made f2's and found something. FWIW, i've seen several Jilly Bean phenos that are unmistakably the same lineage as Tangie, IMO..

I read the article and good find BTW... I wonder if J1 is the same cut as cracker jack? I havn't tried tangie but would like to. Yeah, though he is definitely working with TGAs genetics into the Tangie cut.

If J1 is the same as cracker jack the first time I smoked I just immediately had that old orange cut pop into my mind as the perfect mate though so it If someone had both of those available crossing them seems like it wouldn't be out of the question.

Really I havn't tried Tangie though so I can't compare.

Latest posts

Latest posts