What's new

Super Malawi Haze

Yo Sammy

Veteran
Tomorrow I will finish the harvest of SMH. Her intoxicating aroma is hard to describe. She is getting on mostly cloudy trichomes, but there still are a few clear and also amber here and there. Thanks to all for your support, it has been a fun g View attachment 18784617 View attachment 18784618
View attachment 18784615
Absolutely beautiful!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful flowers & great feedback. Looks like a wonderful result. Hope this lady will deliver some outstanding smoke.
Cheers!

Emeraldo

Absolutely beautiful!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful flowers & great feedback. Looks like a wonderful result. Hope this lady will deliver some outstanding smoke.
Cheers!
Thanks @Yo Sammy for your sharing Nevil's Haze with ACE @dubi. I've only this year experienced the Malawi strain for the first time, to be exact, last week when a few buds were dry enough. It put me in a kind of dreamland, away from everything, just focused on what I was doing, a full head & body effect, very uplifting yet energising and stimulating in a way I had not had before. So am very glad I grew Malawi this year, and will maybe be able now to improve on the environment I grow her in.

Last night, for the first time also, I sampled a Super Malawi Haze bud that I had been drying for a week. My initial reaction: "This is the weed I've been searching for!" It is a truly exceptional hybrid. She has the strong buzz of Malawi and a truly soaring haze high as well. Fantastic weed. I think I will grow her again! and again! Cheers and thanks to your breeding efforts.

Ps the only Nevil's Haze seeds I could find are available from Mr Nice. Are those the ones you've bred? Where can one get your NH?

Yo Sammy

Veteran
Thanks @Yo Sammy for your sharing Nevil's Haze with ACE @dubi. I've only this year experienced the Malawi strain for the first time, to be exact, last week when a few buds were dry enough. It put me in a kind of dreamland, away from everything, just focused on what I was doing, a full head & body effect, very uplifting yet energising and stimulating in a way I had not had before. So am very glad I grew Malawi this year, and will maybe be able now to improve on the environment I grow her in.

Last night, for the first time also, I sampled a Super Malawi Haze bud that I had been drying for a week. My initial reaction: "This is the weed I've been searching for!" It is a truly exceptional hybrid. She has the strong buzz of Malawi and a truly soaring haze high as well. Fantastic weed. I think I will grow her again! and again! Cheers and thanks to your breeding efforts.

Ps the only Nevil's Haze seeds I could find are available from Mr Nice. Are those the ones you've bred? Where can one get your NH?

This particular phenotype of Nevils Haze is in fact an old clone that we have preserved from early ‘90’s so not available in any of the current available seedlines.
Shantibaba/Mr. Nice put out Nevils Haze seeds. As far as my own experience goes growing the line I haven’t found a phenotype in their line that holds similar vigour compared to the old cutting we preserved although the aromatic traits of the MrNice seedline are unmistakable similar to the original. IMHO MrNice offers the closest compared to Nevils original pre 1998 seedline.
Hope this helps.
:tiphat:

Emeraldo

Thanks to @Yo Sammy for that info. So, for growers like me that means ACE's Super Malawi Haze seeds are the only commercially available seeds that have the original Nevil's Haze genetics from back then. Yes, the SMH was a very vigorous plant and I am so very happy with the smoke. Wonderful strain.

Emeraldo

I will post again after Malawi and Super Malawi Haze have had a chance to cure. At the moment, their effects are very strong and "raw on the edges". Malawi's effect has to be unique in the cannabis world, and SMH's effect has Malawi's strong body-and-head buzz, uplifting and energizing, plus the added clear-headed cerebral haze high of Nevil's. And, I have to add, both SMH and M last a long time, I was still dazed after 4 hours and slept like a baby. More later, after the weed has cured. Thanks again all, I have to thank @dubi for all the help during the grow, it really made a difference when growing these for the first time.

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input on my SMH. Some magnesium and calcium deficiencies stopped me from topping for a mainline for a lot longer than I would have liked, but in the past few weeks I've been able to top 3 times to get it going. I think the issues were largely a function of using too-weak nutes; I've gradually raised the inflow EC from 0.6 to 1.3, but then started seeing tip burn, so I've taken it back down to 1.1. Today outflow EC was back in line. Interestingly, I've noticed outflow EC being lower than inflow for the entirety of the grow other than in the past few days (EC 1.3).

Based on previous posts in the thread, it seems like stretch is somewhat unpredictable with this strain, with some people noting significant stretch, and some none at all. Does anyone have any advice on when I should switch to flower so that I end up with my screen being pretty well filled out? I'm tucking growth under the screen as necessary to keep everything level. I don't have too much vertical space to play with, so I'd like to keep everything at screen level. I'm thinking of dropping photoperiod from 18/6 to 15/9, 13/11, and 11/13 over the next few weeks, but I don't know if it would be too early (or late?) to fill the screen. Better safe than sorry I guess.

View attachment 18127733

I think I still have a minor calcium deficiency happening, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. My conditions are about 85°F, 70%RH, currently feeding 5x daily (EC 1.1, pH 5.8) in a 1.3 gallon pot filled with sifted coco and a little perlite.

View attachment 18127736 View attachment 18127737

I've also seen a bit of variegation here and there, which has been kinda neat. Not sure if anyone has seen that with SMH before? Currently a stem rub smells very spicy, with a bit of black licorice. I expect that will change significantly once flowering starts.
I've seen leaf variegations on 4 of my 12 pack. All of them grew out of it eventually.

Emeraldo

...It seems to have less body stone to it than the Nevs haze pheno that i had last year. If I vape enough quickly, then it leaves me a little mentally challenged, i can forget what i'm meant to be doing and get sidetracked onto something else. I don't smoke it on the days that i go to my yoga class or on the days that i teach Tai Chi, as i find i go too deep inside myself, but as soon as the classes are over, then it's what i normally go to!. Everyone who's tried it likes it, but some have declined to smoke it on subsequent visits, claiming that it is too strong! The early tests from the cobs are something else, almost lysergic! Almost an hour has passed since I wrote "time for a refill" and i still haven't got round to it.. That's always a good sign!
Hola @Hombre del mont, I re-read your excellent research post, thanks for that principled scientific work! :) My SMH is now drying and soon going into curing, and I've been, well, sampling popcorn along the way! Terpene research, so rewarding. I grew Malawi and Super Malawi Haze this year in a side-by-side, and that turned out to be a good way to compare these two. Both grown in 35 L tubs of organic soil, in greenhouse @ 47N. Malawi was harvested in 4 cuts between Nov 8 and 14, about 10 days before the SMH harvest in 5 cuts Nov 17 to Nov 24.

Over the past several weeks I've sampled Malawi on one day, then sampled SMH the next day, noting the differences. Malawi is not a predominantly "head" or "body" high, I feel it is both: a strong head-and-body buzz, very pleasant and energising, but I have no sense of it being more body than head. Still the head is buzzed -- not groggy -- but clear, even while it enables me to tune the world out. Malawi takes me away from practical reality, into another world where I keep only short-term concentration and find I lose track of tasks that I undertake, even as I fail to recognise I've lost track and am not noticing what is going on around me, just floating. In stronger doses, it's just devastating! I've been working on the popcorn mainly, but have sampled some larger buds when dry enough. Now don't be fooled, that's dangerous popcorn!

With SMH, Malawi's overpowering body+head buzz is altered. SMH has some of the body of the Malawi, but definitely less. That's not to say SMH doesn't have the same kind of mental challenge and loss of concentration as Malawi, it does have that, but I don't find myself retreating into some otherworldly realm, I am high as a kite but not lost in space. SMH's most prominent feature is the strong, clear, energising, racy and slightly spacy head high; it comes with a slightly diminished Malawi buzz. I find the cross with Nevil's Haze adds a strong cerebral dimension that pure Malawi does not have. Both strains are creepers in the sense that it takes some minutes before the full effect is felt, so it's wise to pace yourself while smoking and not finish the joint in one go. Both are long lasting effects, at least 4 hours.

Interesting, that your Nevil's from 2020 had a stronger body effect than your SMH from 2021. Thanks for posting your experiments and research results!

Last edited:
20221214_040949.jpg
First post First time growing Haze in its purest form. SMH day 90 organic just giving pure water at this point. How long should i take her? Smells like pure haze, nothing else. People from NY know what I'm talking about. Harlem had the best haze and I'm sure still does.

Emeraldo

Hola Super Malawi Haze fans!

Here's my Super Malawi Haze report as posted today on en.seedfinder.eu:

I grew ACE Super Malawi Haze from regular seed. As it turned out, my SMH plant was the Nevils Haze phenotype. This was an outdoor grow at 47N, which is quite a bit farther to the North than the breeder recommended for SMH outdoors. Fortunately, a heated greenhouse made it possible to let SMH flower and finish at 47N after November 1, when the temperatures dropped. Growing SMH side-by-side with ACE Malawi also gave me some good insights into both strains and allowed me to compare the effects of SMH with those of Malawi.

SMH is a cross of Malawi with Nevils Haze, with genetically 50% from each parent. SMH is not a pure sativa like Malawi, but rather a poly-hybrid of approximately 90% sativa and 10% indica. SMH has a complex character, and in my opinion the effect of each parent can be distinctly felt in SMHs effects.

Germinated in April, SMH was grown in 35L of soil having pH 6.3; water was from a nearby alpine lake. SMH was topped and super cropped, LSTd. Vigorous vegetative growth needed abundant NPK in veg and, in flowering, a 3-9-4 npk formula right up to the last week before harvest. SMH went into pre-flower later than many strains I've grown; sex-ID could not be confirmed visually until about September 1. SMH was slow to ripen, so some patience was required. However, patience paid off: SMH is a heavy producer of excellent weed, a tall plant, and at harvest her buds were covered with layer upon thick layer of resin -- see my photos here on seedfinder and elsewhere.* I harvested SMH in several steps between November 17 and 24.

Smoke report. Super Malawi Haze has a very strong effect, and is the most powerful weed this grower has experienced in many years. Having consumed Malawi, I now recognise the unique head & facial buzz effect of Malawi, though of course this particular effect in SMH has only about 50% of the strength of the Malawi parent. The effect of Nevils Haze -- a strong cerebral haze rush -- complements the Malawi, which in comparison has less cerebral effect. In comparing the effect of SMH with Malawi, I sense that the Malawi effect is present in SMH but is tempered, and also enhanced, by the energising and uplifting Nevils Haze buzz. The result was a truly stunning head high, physical and also highly cerebral with an intense rush that slowly fades after several hours. A double-header, SMH has some of Malawis strong head-facial physical buzz along with the added soaring cerebral high of Nevils Haze. The SMH high is strong, heady, and lasts for hours, uplifting, stimulating, powerful and psychedelic -- I have not yet managed to finish a joint because I will put it bluntly down about halfway through, just overwhelmed and my mind soaring into new dimensions. Afterwards sleep is easy. This is truly great weed and I recommend it to any and all haze lovers. I would certainly grow SMH again.

*including on icmag.com

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Love it @Emeraldo :huggg: thank you so much for sharing such a detailed and accurate grow and smoke report with the rest of the growers around the world. Glad to hear it's hard to finish the SMH joint hehehehhehe this happens most of the times with Malawi and Nevil's Haze, so does with Super Malawi Haze. Enjoy ;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Anyportinastorm glad to see you finishing Super Malawi Haze indoors and that she has an appealing smells hazy :) Are you still flowering her or already harvested ?
Sorry for not chime in earlier, i see you had a bit of troubles with the feeding-ph during the grow.

Did you check out the EC and PH during flowering ? Please send us via email if you or any grower has any problem or doubt when growing our genetics and needs an urgent reply.

Emeraldo

Love it @Emeraldo :huggg: thank you so much for sharing such a detailed and accurate grow and smoke report with the rest of the growers around the world. Glad to hear it's hard to finish the SMH joint hehehehhehe this happens most of the times with Malawi and Nevil's Haze, so does with Super Malawi Haze. Enjoy ;)
Thanks once again, @dubi for all your coaching during the grow, which helped me get:dance013: to the finish line with my ACE strains this past year. And @Yo Sammy also! Thanks to you both for your help! I am happy to spread the word about Malawi and Super Malawi Haze.

@dubi @Emeraldo I popped the whole pack of 12 and got 10 males and just 2 females, but fortunately ended up with exactly what expressions I desired. A Malawi dominate and a straight Haze.

Malawi Dom
Smell/Taste of orange zest, cedarwood, and something not unlike gasoline lurking in the background.
Effects are delayed at first, but last much longer then expected. Bike riding weed for sure! Very active in nature. 8 out of 10 for intensity.

20230118_203955.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts