Super Malawi Haze

Spankee

This girl has been guzzling kool bloom

Attachments

• AE8482D1-C80E-4177-915E-434BE9AB196E.jpeg
    AE8482D1-C80E-4177-915E-434BE9AB196E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 933

Emeraldo

With Super Malawi Haze the stigmas in early to mid-flowering were opaque, but as flowering continued, the stigmas turned increasingly translucent. They then shrivel and wilt, turning a rusty orange-brown. Is this the Nevil's Haze pheno, @dubi? She smells of floral and sandalwood. Now new stigmas are appearing less and less, and the trichomes under the microscope are increasingly cloudy, the buds getting frostier. Maybe she'll be ready before December? What say you, @chilliwilli, still pessimistic? :) This is an amazingly productive plant. I am so happy I grew her this year. From what I can tell, it seems she can survive well @47N, at least in a greenhouse or other kind of shelter. Here some pix from yesterday, which was a warm sunny November day before the rains came; in the night, when temps dropped to 40s F / 9 C, heaters in the grow space kept the nighttime temperature above 18 C.
SMH 08.11.22.jpg
SMH 8.11.22.jpg

SMH08.11.22.jpg
SMH 8.11.22.jpg

Last edited:

Emeraldo

Super Malawi Haze is getting close now. Stigmas are losing their yellow-orange translucence and are fading and shrivelling into darker rusty-orange. Trichomes are bulking up.

One thing I've discovered this year is that when the weather turns cold and I turn the heaters in the Grow Zone on, keeping the temps inside at around 68-75 F / 18-21 C, the warmth has the beneficial side effect of lowering the humidity dramatically. On an overcast day with outside temps around 45 F / 10 C, temps inside are 68-75 F / 18-21 C and the humidity outside is 80% but inside hovers around 40-45%. But compare that with when the sun is out and the inside temp shoots up to 86-87 F / 27-28 C -- the humidity correspondingly goes down rapidly, usually bottoming out around 30-35%.

Really low humidity (say below 40%), I've just learned, is great for trichome growth! From now on I will welcome humidity of around 30% during the last few weeks of flowering, I guess it is a common technique for getting the most from our beloved plant.

SMH 10.11.22.jpg

SMH-10.11.22.jpg
SMH:10.11.22.jpg
SMH -10.11.22.jpg

Spankee

your plants look great emeraldo. Mine have a ton of powdery mildew from heavy morning dew . Little mold here and there but overall still need some time . I’m on the fence with Panama haze and chopping really want to go another week. Supposed to get remainder of storm tommorow night into Saturday from that Nicole storm. Here’s 2 shots of smh and 1 panama

Attachments

• 68C22FD8-C175-4877-A045-5BD673A8D974.jpeg
    68C22FD8-C175-4877-A045-5BD673A8D974.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
  • 97AD26C3-474A-431E-9E60-F42EEEA0E155.jpeg
    97AD26C3-474A-431E-9E60-F42EEEA0E155.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 73218676-61B9-4F49-8AFB-70CD727634BD.jpeg
    73218676-61B9-4F49-8AFB-70CD727634BD.jpeg
    978.1 KB · Views: 158

Emeraldo

@Spankee thanks. Another week or two, and we've grown Super Malawi Haze to harvest! You'll probably want to wash your buds in a bud washing solution, using hydrogen peroxide, that'll clean off the mildew. You've got such tall big plants, you'll have a huge amount of weed to dry and cure.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
She is getting really chunky Spankee :smoke: expected yield seems to be very high !
Super Malawi Haze is not the most powder mildew resistant strain, since both parent plants (Nevil's Haze and Malawi) are a bit sensitive to it. On the other hand, Super Malawi Haze can handle the botrytis really well for the dense buds she produces.

In fact, many long flowering sativas seem more prone to powder mildew, and it's infact mainly because of the longer flowering, it's difficult to stop the pm throughout the long flowering once it really starts.
You are doing a great job with yours at 47ºN @Emeraldo ;) nice resinous flowers.
I also believe they will be ripe enough in approx 2 weeks.

Emeraldo and Spankee: How are the scents of your SMH now in late flowering ?

Spankee

Gonna start the chop today unfortunately the weather has done a 180 . Super windy and cold close to freezing. We hit nightime lows in the 20s this week and been spot picking mold off. Been a great run this season of ace gear . My smh has a burnt rubbery smell once it’s hung and drying hopefully I can get a better whiff. Will post some shots later.

Emeraldo

Hola Super Malawi Haze fans! My SMH is imo "in the harvest window" and I wanted to share how she is doing today, Saturday, November 19. By my estimation, the upper buds may go for another week before they are ready. But I have harvested the four lowest branches, on Thursday (2 days ago), which had mostly cloudy trichomes at that point. The stigmas/pistils have on most of the buds have turned rusty orange, but there still are a few whitish looking ones here and there. The plant is healthy and green, and I gave her a drizzle of water, probably her last. Temps in the covered area are 70+F/20+C today, with humidity at 30%.

Here is the bud on the lowest branch, harvested on Thursday:
SMH::17.11.22.jpg

Here are buds on other, mostly upper branches. Trichomes are partly clear, partly cloudy. Stigmas are now slower to push out, and only a few new ones now. I suspect she'll be ready before next weekend.
SMH19.11.22.jpg
SMH--19.11.22.jpg
SMH. 19.11.22.jpg

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hola Super Malawi Haze fans! My SMH is imo "in the harvest window" and I wanted to share how she is doing today, Saturday, November 19. By my estimation, the upper buds may go for another week before they are ready. But I have harvested the four lowest branches, on Thursday (2 days ago), which had mostly cloudy trichomes at that point. The stigmas/pistils have on most of the buds have turned rusty orange, but there still are a few whitish looking ones here and there. The plant is healthy and green, and I gave her a drizzle of water, probably her last. Temps in the covered area are 70+F/20+C today, with humidity at 30%.

Here is the bud on the lowest branch, harvested on Thursday:
View attachment 18782940

Here are buds on other, mostly upper branches. Trichomes are partly clear, partly cloudy. Stigmas are now slower to push out, and only a few new ones now. I suspect she'll be ready before next weekend. View attachment 18782942 View attachment 18782943
Looking awesome!
I still have several oz from last year.
Enjoy!

Emeraldo

SMH.22.11.22.jpg
SMH22.11.22.jpg
Thanks to @dubi and ACE for creating Super Malawi Haze! The original Nevil's Haze would likely not be easy to grow in my climate, whether outdoors or greenhouse, because it would need to flower into December or January. From the taste am getting off my Malawi, this cross is going to be a powerful head buzz. Here a few photos from today, the buds getting frostier than a week ago, harvest is not far off now, by the end of the week she'll be hanging to dry, me thankfully standing by.
SMH 22.11.22.jpg

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looking great there :D @Emeraldo she is getting very resinous with this new layer of trichomes, if she is also in a peak of strong terpene production and trichomes are up of your taste then maybe is the right moment to harvest.

Yeah, Yo Sammy's Nevil's Haze mother is in average slower to ripe and has a slower outdoor flowering onset than Malawi or Super Malawi Haze, finishing late November here at 37ºN, probably one month later around Xmas at your latitude.

Emeraldo

Looking great there :D @Emeraldo she is getting very resinous with this new layer of trichomes, if she is also in a peak of strong terpene production and trichomes are up of your taste then maybe is the right moment to harvest.
Yes, she is in a peak of strong terpene production. The stickiness of the buds, the penetrating terpene aroma while working with a few harvested branches, and the growth of the resinous trichomes are just incredible! I've got a couple of buds drying for sampling, will post again!

Latest posts

Latest posts