What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Subrob Hash

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sugarlips. Leaf. First run. A lot to dive into. But I am fukn high. I do this every time. I make a chunk, sample, and want to nerd out. But I need to chill for awhile. 😂
IMG_20230327_213818844.jpg
IMG_20230327_220020956.jpg
IMG_20230327_223933981.jpg

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Thanks for the info, Sub. Took me a lot longer getting to reading it than it did for you to write it lol. If I were to buy a few screens, aside from the 73um…what sizes do you recommend? I’ve got a lb or more of older jars of flower I want to process into keif that I can then card and clean a little at a time. Just trying to clear space while I get started with this years outdoor adventures. There’s a shop in San Diego I found that carry’s a lot of different mesh size screens.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info, Sub. Took me a lot longer getting to reading it than it did for you to write it lol. If I were to buy a few screens, aside from the 73um…what sizes do you recommend? I’ve got a lb or more of older jars of flower I want to process into keif that I can then card and clean a little at a time. Just trying to clear space while I get started with this years outdoor adventures. There’s a shop in San Diego I found that carry’s a lot of different mesh size screens.
Well, this run for example, I only used a 110 and 200LPI(150 and 76 micron?). Most of the chunks I've made I only use those two. Not saying it's the right way...lol. I'd be curious if anyone uses 3 or 4 screens what the benefit is?

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Well, this run for example, I only used a 110 and 200LPI(150 and 76 micron?). Most of the chunks I've made I only use those two. Not saying it's the right way...lol. I'd be curious if anyone uses 3 or 4 screens what the benefit is?
Those will be the two I start with then. My bags had 5 diff mesh sizes I think…but I always felt that was overkill.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blue n red are last run. Yellow tabs are this run of sugarlips. I don't know why the first run (3rd from left) is that light. Lol. I didn't weigh the contaminates, but I eyeballed it at about 30% of pile I kept from final screen. Which is kind of an adjustable standard. I smashed the shit out it by hand. Melted it a bit w flame twice while working it.
I wonder if I could have maybe not gone quite as clean, in order to increase yield. And still been extremely happy. Today's second run is nice example: last from left. It's still a heavy melt, with a sweet flavor resembling the trim and flower. Of course not cured, but I just smoked some, and I'm sitting here at the table, fukn around on the internet instead of transplanting a few seedlings. Lol. Gonna be stoked on this high. But it's a different level from the first run. I've only smoked one bowl of each and I can tell you it's two DISTINCT levels. The first run gets me rosin high. Looking at her, you can see why. Lol. But it surprised me. I've got the stoner memory for comparisons. And I don't feel I separated her more than the silver berries. So my initial assumption is these heads are the difference. Genetics right? Just like growing. I really hope to screen more of this. Try a different technique on the screens. Instead of cleaning less. Lol
IMG_20230329_132827319.jpg
IMG_20230329_132807227.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I wonder if I could have maybe not gone quite as clean, in order to increase yield. And still been extremely happy.

Ha! That is the question . . . I got a new hash smoking device at xmas and you can't use full melt hash. It has to be dirty so you can make snakes that smolder. So all of my good bubble hash - that I have worked so hard to perfect - will not work. I have to buy dirtier hash just to use in it. Pretty silly, I know . . . The downside is: the more contaminants, the more you cough.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ha! That is the question . . . I got a new hash smoking device at xmas and you can't use full melt hash. It has to be dirty so you can make snakes that smolder. So all of my good bubble hash - that I have worked so hard to perfect - will not work. I have to buy dirtier hash just to use in it. Pretty silly, I know . . . The downside is: the more contaminants, the more you cough.
The happle?
Ya, I haven't used my hash kettle since I was posting about it. The lower quality traditional hash isn't as interesting as it used to be. Well, not lower quality, lower grade.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So...I fukd up. Again. It's 230 pm local, and I took two hits of the sugarlips 2nd run hash. From the bowl I loaded last night, shortly (I assume lol) before passing out. So....chores suspended...time to nerd out a little.

So, is the goal of processing dry sift to fully decarb the thca? I feel like I've not paid attention to that. I tend to learn better thru doing, rather than reading. Lol. But I do try to pick up on the obvious. Sometimes I miss.
I mean, obviously, it gets decarbed when smoked. But I wonder about the finished, cured product. The chemical processes of decarbed vs non during that "curing" process.
Anyone have any thoughts, experience or insight?

goingrey

So...I fukd up. Again. It's 230 pm local, and I took two hits of the sugarlips 2nd run hash. From the bowl I loaded last night, shortly (I assume lol) before passing out. So....chores suspended...time to nerd out a little.

So, is the goal of processing dry sift to fully decarb the thca? I feel like I've not paid attention to that. I tend to learn better thru doing, rather than reading. Lol. But I do try to pick up on the obvious. Sometimes I miss.
I mean, obviously, it gets decarbed when smoked. But I wonder about the finished, cured product. The chemical processes of decarbed vs non during that "curing" process.
Anyone have any thoughts, experience or insight?
Curing does decarb THCA to THC but at the same time and at a faster rate THC is degrading to CBN. I don't think for most the goal is to fully activate the THCA, it will be less potent.. Curing is more about the taste I think.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soooo....the cure.
Since I made these chunks in October, I've mentioned a couple times that I was a little disappointed in the trop cherry hash. My technique, NOT the genetic or the grow.
Just busted out a little piece. Trying to hold off on a cleaner, younger chunk I made. And while I don't need to be sold on curing...godamn...this is a different product than 6 months ago. Even a few months ago. Now, it's still not what I would call full melt or full bubbling, that doesn't change, the chemical processes have done their work however, and it is noticeably smoother and more enjoyable.

I'm operating on the premise that different grades need different times. Not a new idea I'm sure. The cleaner stuff I've made, honestly, good enough as soon as made. I do however, notice a difference at the 1 month mark, and a couple marks longer in. Since I make such small batches, I haven't had any experience beyond six months. I've got 4-5g of this 6 month trop cherries to enjoy.
IMG_20230416_135731390.jpg

goingrey

Soooo....the cure.
Since I made these chunks in October, I've mentioned a couple times that I was a little disappointed in the trop cherry hash. My technique, NOT the genetic or the grow.
Just busted out a little piece. Trying to hold off on a cleaner, younger chunk I made. And while I don't need to be sold on curing...godamn...this is a different product than 6 months ago. Even a few months ago. Now, it's still not what I would call full melt or full bubbling, that doesn't change, the chemical processes have done their work however, and it is noticeably smoother and more enjoyable.

I'm operating on the premise that different grades need different times. Not a new idea I'm sure. The cleaner stuff I've made, honestly, good enough as soon as made. I do however, notice a difference at the 1 month mark, and a couple marks longer in. Since I make such small batches, I haven't had any experience beyond six months. I've got 4-5g of this 6 month trop cherries to enjoy.
View attachment 18831928
Smoother, that is the key word.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That looks mighty fine. (y)

Now you have me itching to make some more myself but I have to concentrate on getting the next grow going.
I was getting ready to flower a run, but burned some tops w micronized sulfur after taking in an OG cut and spraying. I might have gone a little overboard. Lol
So...flower tent being repurposed as a cold room and I'm about to knock out enough hash to get thru summer and monsoon season here in the desert!

Latest posts

Latest posts