What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid Potent Butter With Minimal Trim

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I forgot to ask, by one stick do you mean 1/4lb of butter, or an entire 1lb of butter per 2-3 oz? I have about a pound of trim.

8 TBSP / 1/2cup stick = standard stick of butter.
175px-Western-pack-butter.jpg

One thing I did try here is the addition of lecithin.

I really don't know how this'll work, in my head lastnight it made sense. the lecithin should absorb into the butter and help the THC absorb better, possibly absorbing THC as well itself.....

Then I realized that it's water soluable.....so I don't know if it's going to absorb THC then fall out of solution, or work to make a more potent, faster acting butter....

it's too late now so only time will tell.

Glee is great to use it has a higher percentage of fat than normal butter does therefore it has a greater capacity to trap the THC to it.

1458.jpg

Leitchin and Glee will offer more for the THC to bind to - but WHY? It doesn't need to be more potent than Zack's butter, which was probably 3x - 4x as strong as it needed to be. Zack's story reminds me of my early brownies when a batch of trim butter made 16 brownies, 16 of the scariest, "It's been 10 hours, how do you make the highness stop?" brownies.

Remember, I am diluting this recipe by 50%. Reduced by half, the butter is strong enough to make 50-60 cookies! (Each cookie is a complete dose, 2 cookies for high tolerances)

but don't put the trim in warm water before start reciipe ?

for kill the chlorophyle ?

I am not sure what you're asking.

You won't need to do anything to the trim, just dump it in and start the crock pot. Its going to sit at a low boil for 8 hours - more than long enough to kill or denature everything in the plant matter. The additional flushes rinse these contaminants from the butter.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

It's been a number of hours now and it's definitely separated.

My concern with lecithin was that it would do one of two things:

Bind THC to it, then mix with the water and drop out of solution brining THC with it.

Bind with the water and bring more water into the butter, and it may have done that but so far the separation looks good and the butter seems about as soft as it was to begin with, although it is in the fridge right now.

I'm a little concerned that at room temperature the butter may be more watery. If this happens I guess I'll just do the flushes and then try and boil off any remaining water, then we'll see what happens with the potency.

As for the terpenes being lost, you obviously didn't read what I've been posting..... I don't want ANY taste or smell to remain if possible. This trim is the worst of the worst, and while it makes potent edibles, it's absolutely disgusting to smell or burn.

I'll go snap some pics.

Currently sitting at 17C I'm going to scoopt it out into a pot and dump out the water.

I still need to do a wash on the plant material to extract more butter, but I'm trying to figure out the best way squeeze out 483g of boiling hot material. Cheesecloth is a little hot on the hands.

Last edited:

Raziel819

Back when I was in my teens and twenty's, I did a lot of MicroDots, Snoopies and Mushrooms so I guess for me my tolerance for the effects edibles induce is kinda high. That's the reason I'm looking to replicate Zach's experience with the butter, it appears that what he accomplished would be a close replica to the edibles I made in the 70's.

Stay Frosty My Friends
Raziel819

BigJohnny

Day two, I'll be trying to squeeze out more butter from the leaf material today then once I've gotten that I'll put it in the pot with the other stuff I removed from the top of the water yesterday and flush it all together.

I think after next week I'm going to try some BHO butter. It should be much easier and cleaner to make that.

RB56

Veteran
I'm not sure you want to add an emulsifier like lecithin to the fat/water mix. We want the oil and water to separate. Lecithin will slow that process and might even block it, at least partially.

Just going off general concepts here - no direct experience.

BigJohnny

I'm not sure you want to add an emulsifier like lecithin to the fat/water mix. We want the oil and water to separate. Lecithin will slow that process and might even block it, at least partially.

Just going off general concepts here - no direct experience.

Read back a few posts, that was my big concern, and now that you mention it, it may have slowed the process but so far everything has been separating, just taking a long time to freeze up and solidify because of the hot water.

There's a chance that the lecithin has pulled some water into the butter mix, but it doesn't look like the lecithin/THC remained in the water as it typically tends to make the water "thicker"

For the time being I'm confident that the lecithin hasn't caused any detrimental effect, and if it does end up producing a softer butter by the time I'm done flushing it then I'll just heat the butter and let the remaining water boil off slowly.

In the future though I'm either not going to add lecithin or I'll add it only to the final butter product instead of mixing it with the water I'm using to make the actual butter.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I'm a little concerned that at room temperature the butter may be more watery. If this happens I guess I'll just do the flushes and then try and boil off any remaining water, then we'll see what happens with the potency.

As for the terpenes being lost, you obviously didn't read what I've been posting..... I don't want ANY taste or smell to remain if possible. This trim is the worst of the worst, and while it makes potent edibles, it's absolutely disgusting to smell or burn.

Currently sitting at 17C I'm going to scoopt it out into a pot and dump out the water.

I still need to do a wash on the plant material to extract more butter, but I'm trying to figure out the best way squeeze out 483g of boiling hot material. Cheesecloth is a little hot on the hands.

There should be little to no taste or smell, provided you've done things right. I am unsure as to why your mix looks so soupy - did you strain it through a metal colander and then put the mix in the fridge overnight? It should be a hard, flat, pancake of butter in the shape of the container you put it in. I added a few details to the original post, this may help you with the butter making process.

BigJohnny

There should be little to no taste or smell, provided you've done things right. I am unsure as to why your mix looks so soupy - did you strain it through a metal colander and then put the mix in the fridge overnight? It should be a hard, flat, pancake of butter in the shape of the container you put it in. I added a few details to the original post, this may help you with the butter making process.

what do you mean soupy? It was still kind of warm in the first picture I took.

Everything is moving along smoothly so far, everything has separated like it should and I've squeezed as much butter from the plant material as possible by heating it in water in cheesecloth and wringing it out.

It looks like I should end up with 3.5lbs or more of butter....which is kind of counter intuitive since I only started with 3.5Lbs, so I'll probably have to do a final boil to remove any trace water.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
what do you mean soupy? It was still kind of warm in the first picture I took.

Everything is moving along smoothly so far, everything has separated like it should and I've squeezed as much butter from the plant material as possible by heating it in water in cheesecloth and wringing it out.

It looks like I should end up with 3.5lbs or more of butter....which is kind of counter intuitive since I only started with 3.5Lbs, so I'll probably have to do a final boil to remove any trace water.

I followed terp's receipe.. with the exception of using WAYYY toooo much herb... crock potted for 9+hrs, strained it, and then into fridge over nite , got rid of the almost black water, added hot water again, stirred, and again into the fridge.. did that 3-4 times.. by the last drain, the water was clear.. and when I made the cookies, they had/have no weed taste...

gave one away to a friend on sunday... he ate 1/4 of the cookie, and was well lite for the nite... me.. I'm sticking to the Colorado edibles... they give me a nice/smooth head for 3+hrs, unlike my cookies where I swear I saw GOD....

watts

ohms
Veteran
what do you mean by weed taste exactly? I use trim from my c99 x swt and i can taste the fruity terpens from it, in my canna coconut oil. I love it.

Raziel819

Ok, ok I'm starting to see where I went wrong in my latest attempts at butter making and how it differs from my first experience of making weed cookies.

Its the ratio's, ratio's, ratio's.

Zach used 1.5 oz of primo bud and keif to 2 sticks of butter...
Terp used trim off a 2 - 4oz plant, probably primo bud, to 1 stick of butter...
Both terrific results.

I'm, about 4oz of some immature buds and leaves to a Lb of butter... results, sub-par.

I probably should have done a 4:1 or at the max 4:2 ratio of weed to butter with the stock that I had, I may have gotten the results I was looking for or very close to it.
Hmmmm....one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...time to go back to the kitchen...

Stay Frosty My Friends
Raz

BigJohnny

Ok, ok I'm starting to see where I went wrong in my latest attempts at butter making and how it differs from my first experience of making weed cookies.

Its the ratio's, ratio's, ratio's.

Zach used 1.5 oz of primo bud and keif to 2 sticks of butter...
Terp used trim off a 2 - 4oz plant, probably primo bud, to 1 stick of butter...
Both terrific results.

I'm, about 4oz of some immature buds and leaves to a Lb of butter... results, sub-par.

I probably should have done a 4:1 or at the max 4:2 ratio of weed to butter with the stock that I had, I may have gotten the results I was looking for or very close to it.
Hmmmm....one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...time to go back to the kitchen...

Stay Frosty My Friends
Raz

I'm curious how mine turns out then, 483g to 3.5Lbs of butter, or just about 4.9 oz per pound.

The trim I'm using is good as far as THC content, it's just it's smell and taste that's awful.

RB56

Veteran
I'm curious how mine turns out then, 483g to 3.5Lbs of butter, or just about 4.9 oz per pound.

The trim I'm using is good as far as THC content, it's just it's smell and taste that's awful.

That sounds about right to me. I use 2 ounces of bud or 3 ounces of trim per 14 ounces of coconut oil. I split what I end up with in half. Each half goes into mixes that ask for 5 ounces of butter. One batch of brownies or cookies from each half.

I think you are at 1:3.3 and I am at 1:7 (1:4.7 for trim).

I wish more people knew how to make potent butter .. Mine always scares them and I wont even bother to try most peoples butter due to being let down or gagged out by the flavor .

spring fed

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread. Thanks for sharing.
I have been into the edibles lately so I decided to make a batch of butter. The flush/extraction method is great and so easy. Here is the butter and water after the second extraction. Used half and flushed the rest a third time.
I added 7 grams of blue dream nugs, 7 grams of animal cookie nugs, and two tsp. of cinnimon to a half pound(two sticks) of butter. Starting off light.
picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts