What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid Potent Butter With Minimal Trim

Raziel819

I agree Zach, the butter I made using Terp's recipe had zero, zilch, nada, none weed taste. I even think I was high off of it, I know I got Major munchies from it.

What I really think happened to that batch of butter is this, I used a crop of Arjan's Haze #1 that died on the vine, it just went belly up over night got crispy and all of the baby buds that was forming never really had the opportunity to fully develop. I knew that product was shit but I tried to salvage what I had and make it into butter hoping that what was left would give a somewhat decent batch of butter.

Don't get me wrong Zach, I really think that Terp's way of making butter is really simple and I will try it again once I can get a crop all the way from seed to "a proper" harvest. I think that I was just looking for a different type of effect since that Arjan is/was a Sativa.

BigJohnny

I've been pouring over this thread, and I'd like to make some of this butter.

Can I use Ghee in place of normal unsalted butter? I bought 3lbs of Desi Ghee from the international section of the grocery store....shit was like $20.

Why not use salted butter?

I have some trim that isn't too bad in terms of how much THC is in it, but the biggest problem is that it smells completely abhorrent.
The smell from the trim or BHO when cooking it is enough to make you gag, it's like some kind of burnt/nutty/sweaty feet/garlic bread type of smell.

I don't know what caused it end up like that, but it's good for making edibles at the least.

Will your method remove that putrid smell?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've been pouring over this thread, and I'd like to make some of this butter.

Can I use Ghee in place of normal unsalted butter? I bought 3lbs of Desi Ghee from the international section of the grocery store....shit was like $20. YES! you can also make ghee

Why not use salted butter? YES! I do most the time.

I have some trim that isn't too bad in terms of how much THC is in it, but the biggest problem is that it smells completely abhorrent.
The smell from the trim or BHO when cooking it is enough to make you gag, it's like some kind of burnt/nutty/sweaty feet/garlic bread type of smell.

I don't know what caused it end up like that, but it's good for making edibles at (BEST) the least .

Will your method remove that putrid smell?[/quote]

^^^^ You have nothing to loose but time and some 'unsalted' butter.. if the THC content is there it'll work... the cookies (edibles) don't have to taste 'the best' cause you're not eating them because they taste good...

don't waste the $20 ghee til you know it'll work for you...

Raziel819

Hey BigJohnny using Glee is great to use it has a higher percentage of fat than normal butter does therefore it has a greater capacity to trap the THC to it. I would believe, (have not tried making butter with stinky weed) that this method of extraction would eliminate that smell since its the terpenes that hold the taste and smell and those are water soluble.

Remember one thing before and after you use the Glee, its going to be some strong stuff and you may want to trade notes with Zach he has experience with edibles that were too strong...lol

Bake on brutha.... hmmm sounds like a movie I've seen..... Half Baked...

Raziel819

Wow Snook you beat me to the post, you wasn't there when I first started typing. I missed the salt/unsalted question and I agree with you either can be used. But for a more informed reason why not to use salted is this...Unsalted butter is used in baking so salt can be added precisely according to the recipe. Since you can not measure the salt in salted butter it's not used. For example: too much salt would lessen yeast reaction making bread not rise as much.

Raziel819

BigJohnny

Remember one thing before and after you use the Glee, its going to be some strong stuff and you may want to trade notes with Zach he has experience with edibles that were too strong...lol

Yes, I saw his posts lol. Apparently folk in my city want a stupid ass trip though.

I know the THC content is there as I'm already making edibles with this trim, or more specifically, BHO from this trim. The trim itself doesn't smell gagworthy but once we make it into BHO it damn near makes you puke.

The BHO from this trim get's you messed up though. I'm currently making gummy candies and eating 2 of those gives me a hell of a time in 'Astroland', eating a third will easily propel me to somewhere far beyond Astroland.

Unfortunately though I've already decarbed all 400g of the BHO I had with coconut oil for making gummies, so I can't try the butter with BHO but the trim should be just fine.

Snook: I know I can make ghee, but I didn't want to bother with all of the time, trouble, and waste. It was just easier to buy it outright.

Raziel819

That's a good price though BigJ, its 4 cents per oz cheaper than what I paid for it at a Indian grocer. What's your method of making BHO, I tried that extraction method and it didn't turn out to well for me. But again like with the butter I used immature greens trying to salvage a failed grow, however, I do want to add that it wasn't a total failure, the BHO and oils that I made did help my dog get over some minor ailments he had at the time.

Oh one more thing BJohnny what stain are you or did you use?

BigJohnny

That's a good price though BigJ, its 4 cents per oz cheaper than what I paid for it at a Indian grocer. What's your method of making BHO, I tried that extraction method and it didn't turn out to well for me. But again like with the butter I used immature greens trying to salvage a failed grow, however, I do want to add that it wasn't a total failure, the BHO and oils that I made did help my dog get over some minor ailments he had at the time.

Oh one more thing BJohnny what stain are you or did you use?

We're running mixed trim right now, and it's pretty old and makes dark, sticky BHO that has the vomit inducing smell.

We just run it through our Mk4, purge it until it's done then decarb it with coconut oil.

as far as eating it, it works great, like really really well but I doubt i'd bother trying to smoke it.

Raziel819

There was another question I remembered when you said you run it though your Mk4 that I had forgot to ask. Has anyone out there used or have any type of experience with the Magical Butter machine? Is it worth the money? Does it really give you the set it and forget it ability to make good butter, oils or tinctures?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
There was another question I remembered when you said you run it though your Mk4 that I had forgot to ask. Has anyone out there used or have any type of experience with the Magical Butter machine? Is it worth the money? Does it really give you the set it and forget it ability to make good butter, oils or tinctures?

i think there was a thread here year or two ago.. general opinion was > POS, WOT.

BigJohnny

I forgot to ask, by one stick do you mean 1/4lb of butter, or an entire 1lb of butter per 2-3 oz? I have about a pound of trim.

BigJohnny

I have 483g of gross trim..... I think I'll maybe just toss it into the 3.5lbs of butter I have.

That works out to about 4oz per pound, and most recipes I've seen usually call for about an ounce per pound, so it should still be pretty strong.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
you may want to trade notes with Zach he has experience with edibles that were too strong...lol...

I 'thought' after smoking for 40+yrs I was a veteran... boy was I wrong... prior to eating my cookie, I never had any herb/hash/oil that made me non-functionable... not even close...

the cookies, along with the 1/4lb of butter I didn't use still sits in my freezer... I'm not sure if I will try it again...

and I have eaten edibles b4, n it was nice...3+hrs of a nice up/smooth head... but nooooo...not my f...ing cookies...

BigJohnny

I 'thought' after smoking for 40+yrs I was a veteran... boy was I wrong... prior to eating my cookie, I never had any herb/hash/oil that made me non-functionable... not even close...

the cookies, along with the 1/4lb of butter I didn't use still sits in my freezer... I'm not sure if I will try it again...

and I have eaten edibles b4, n it was nice...3+hrs of a nice up/smooth head... but nooooo...not my f...ing cookies...

I know the feeling. 17yr smoker here, tried other edibles and was never once high....ever.

Until I tried my own gummy stars...... they took me on a ride through Astrolan that I'll never remember lol. Not enjoyable at all when the dose is too strong and they work so damn well.

One thing I did try here is the addition of lecithin.

I really don't know how this'll work, in my head lastnight it made sense. the lecithin should absorb into the butter and help the THC absorb better, possibly absorbing THC as well itself.....

Then I realized that it's water soluable.....so I don't know if it's going to absorb THC then fall out of solution, or work to make a more potent, faster acting butter....

it's too late now so only time will tell.

BigJohnny

This was staarted at 7am, and it'll be 8 hours in about 2 more hours and so far it doesn't look black at all..... it's darker for sure, but nowhere near black.

This also sat prepared for 8 hours before being turned on since I made it the night before, went to bed and my gf turned it on in the morning when she got up.

Raziel819

Bring it on BigJ, waiting for the final report.

I'm "thinking" about doing a QWISO next time instead of butter and using that as the base for those e-cig. But, I got to do some more reading up on it. Got a little time my COTC cc is still about 2 weeks away from harvest or I may just wait till my Critical is finished sometime in Dec.

Latest posts

Latest posts